PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age: Origins

Aametherar
05-02-2010, 07:40 AM
Has anyone tried it? Does it live up to the hype? I'm curious, I don't really play those kind of games, nor does anyone I know, so I haven't really heard much about it although it seems to be very popular. It's something i'm thinking about trying.

Edit: nvm, I just realized my CPU is too old x_x lol.

Daermoth
05-02-2010, 07:52 AM
Yes, and yes. It's an epic game with an amazing story, though it tends to annoy me a lot because the main character has no voice, everyone else is voiced...except you. I know it's a small thing, but yeah, bothers me:P

Negthareas
05-02-2010, 09:59 AM
Can't help you there, have never played it. SOrry.:(

Henry Martin
05-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Great Story, Gamplay, Characters. You get three races to choose: Human, Elf, and Dwarf. Each has there own origin stories at the beginning(the Dwarf noble is my favorite origin story). After that is when the Adventure starts. If you play Kotor then the combat and gameplay is similar to that.

If you are a fan of good old fantasy rpgs then get it. If you do everything in the game you will spend no less then 30hrs playing the game.

Aametherar
05-02-2010, 10:21 AM
This may be one I pick up when I (some day) upgrade my CPU. Sounds nice. I miss free roaming RPG's my favorite back in the day was Betrayal at Krondor.

nickson104
05-02-2010, 10:57 AM
It was a really good game, a good story with some good cinematics, amazing dialogues and so much replayability :) I average about 20 hours per character, and i have completed it at least 4 times... :p

I dont know how it is on pc, but it certainly was fun on the xbox

Josh Warner
05-02-2010, 12:08 PM
I'd compare it to fable personally, a good game but not one that lives up to the hype. It doesn't stand up to Baulder's Gate. It also was pretty easy, definitely don't use the DLC items if you want any semblance of a challenge.

While there were plenty of choices, each playthrough still felt the same. Because of this and the desire to try each class I ended up with three playthroughs and then stopped playing alltogether before I finally took the time to finish it just so I could do the expansion.

The control scheme for this sort of game is vastly superior on the PC, I've tried both.

Yami-Yagari
05-02-2010, 12:23 PM
It is great overall. Has great story, nice gameplay, nice graphics.
Shame on you for not playing it :).

If you are a fan of good old fantasy rpgs then get it. If you do everything in the game you will spend no less then 30hrs playing the game.

definitely more then 30 hours, yeah. It took me an entire week playing nonstop, from 8:00 till 23:00, so yeah loads to do ingame.

Dunno if people here have the expansion aswell, but to be honest it was meh compared to the original. took me less then 2 days to complete.

nickson104
05-02-2010, 12:23 PM
I'd compare it to fable personally, a good game but not one that lives up to the hype. It doesn't stand up to Baulder's Gate. It also was pretty easy, definitely don't use the DLC items if you want any semblance of a challenge.

The control scheme for this sort of game is vastly superior on the PC, I've tried both.

I suspected as much about the game controls... For a change the games managed to pull off radial menus very well :) i quite liked the console layout

The game isnt very challenging at later stages admittedly, but early on it can be pretty tough on the hard difficulties...

I didnt even know about the game until it was released and a friend told me about it, thus no hype for me and no disappointment :)

I wouldnt compare it to baldurs gate, never, baldurs gate is classic and I CANT FIND IT!!!! :(

EmpressHebihime
05-02-2010, 12:47 PM
DA:O was one of the best 24hour games of my life! The choices, the combat system that was kind like GWs. Altho my romance big choices happened in my second achievement playthrough it was THE most awesome RPG I've ever played. Altho Mass Effect also is a great TPSRPG game, DA:O Takes the price for fantasy and RPG.

Yami-Yagari
05-02-2010, 01:05 PM
But DAO:Awakening was kind of a letdown.
Wasn't as long as origins(as expected),but the rl letdown is almost at the end. won't spoil it for people who haven't played it yet.

blackfang
05-02-2010, 01:18 PM
i dont really like it, i was simply too good there. Pwning everything i met, even the last battle was incredibly easy, just using melee units on all the first ones and the archers on the last and you really covered everything:D

Aametherar
05-02-2010, 01:19 PM

While there were plenty of choices, each playthrough still felt the same. Because of this and the desire to try each class I ended up with three playthroughs and then stopped playing alltogether before I finally took the time to finish it just so I could do the expansion.

Interesting, I thought it might be similar to Fable. I really liked fable the lost chapters I think it was a lot (didn't play the others). The problem with that game (as most that genre) was it played through too fast and was very repetitive, it lacked replayability and played though fast. From the sounds of it this one lasts a bit longer, which is good! ~flashes back to 1993~ one thing I remember about betrayal at krondor is the amazing replayability!

I know you're probably all going to kill me but...i'm sorry to say I never played baulders gate.

Aelfwine
05-17-2010, 07:30 PM
hmmmm ive and still enjoying DA:O ... but then again i keep dinking around with the files.... putting in diffucult mods... making redonkulous weapons... like my red and yellow toy hammer of doom... wrecked my save file though >_>...

SPARROW94
05-17-2010, 08:01 PM
its all about Mass effect , F Dragon age :D

Aelfwine
05-17-2010, 08:02 PM
its all about Mass effect , F Dragon age :D

meh to each , his own... i enjoyed both but DA still had a nifty editor to dink around with.

SPARROW94
05-17-2010, 08:16 PM
meh to each , his own... i enjoyed both but DA still had a nifty editor to dink around with.

And mass effect had a far supior and compelling story line.

Aelfwine
05-17-2010, 08:27 PM
lolumad sparrow?
Of course it does, but the fact does remain that they're both made by the same company and contain roughtly the same story setup... just occuring in different technological eras.
but like i said... DA one ups Mass effect with its game editor since you can not only edit items and characters but you could implement voice overs, sounds/music and ingame movies...

not right to judge when you havent played the game yet you know, just throwing it out there.

SPARROW94
05-17-2010, 09:05 PM
lolumad sparrow?
Of course it does, but the fact does remain that they're both made by the same company and contain roughtly the same story setup... just occuring in different technological eras.
but like i said... DA one ups Mass effect with its game editor since you can not only edit items and characters but you could implement voice overs, sounds/music and ingame movies...

not right to judge when you havent played the game yet you know, just throwing it out there.

im gonna throw you out there pretty sooon budddaaaaay

Aelfwine
05-17-2010, 09:26 PM
your welcome to it.

On another note, can any1 summarize baldur's gate for me... ive never played it yet... but its one of those names that people keep telling me to try.

blackfang
05-18-2010, 11:27 AM
First off mass effect got one of the best storylines out there, the fighting is awesome. The rest, well lets stop at the positive:) Also baldurs gate to summarize it, you start off as a traveller and then just walk around in the woods killing goblins until you eventually get to a cave, there you kill goblins and then you get out. Then you kill goblins, then you find a town i think and then you kill goblins. Then you get to the next town (baldurs gate) and here you get to choose kill goblins, kill goblins, kill goblins or infiltrate a spooky house or two. After that you gotta kill more goblins, then you find some people. Then you kill goblins again (kinda repetive) and at the end you kill elementals and many other variations of creatures, however the entire start is about killing goblins, then you gotta kill zombies. Then you kill goblins and orcs, then you kill wolves and eventually you find some armored men that are evil.

Yami-Yagari
05-18-2010, 12:16 PM
Sounds ok. Really like the diversity of enemies you encounter... wait.. :eek:

blackfang
05-18-2010, 12:20 PM
There is a huge diversity between the goblins, there are skirmishers... And axe wielding ones... Thats the ones i can think of:)

LiTos456
05-18-2010, 02:30 PM
Dragon Age: Origins

is win
I has an epic dragon age shirt. It has the blood dragon on the side of it.
Soooo cool.

Yami-Yagari
05-18-2010, 02:53 PM
New DLC gets released this week, i think. Not sure, but definitely going to get it.

Henry Martin
05-18-2010, 03:21 PM
New DLC gets released this week, i think. Not sure, but definitely going to get it.

Its out today. you can go to the website and download it(if you have the PC version).

Aelfwine
05-19-2010, 01:25 AM
meh... i dunno... i might try try for it next week... untill then... fps with some C&C4 ^_^. also blackfang ... i;ll give it a try when i find a copy of the disk... should be worth the time spent when I dont feel like reading and hte net is down. :P

Josh Warner
05-21-2010, 11:08 PM
I know you're probably all going to kill me but...i'm sorry to say I never played baulders gate.

It's probably too old now for you to be able to get into it, but I'd still recommend trying it. If you can look past the graphics and interface, the story and gameplay itself - fantastic.

BG even uses THAC0 for armor calculations, I miss that.

nickson104
05-22-2010, 06:12 AM
It's probably too old now for you to be able to get into it, but I'd still recommend trying it. If you can look past the graphics and interface, the story and gameplay itself - fantastic.

BG even uses THAC0 for armor calculations, I miss that.

Agreed!

I may try and refind it myself, Torrent search is my guess :) It is bound to be somewhere

Henry Martin
05-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Agreed!

I may try and refind it myself, Torrent search is my guess :) It is bound to be somewhere

Careful, you are mentioning illegal activities:(. Back on topic I believe I only played 'Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance'.

Michael Mullens
05-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Shale ftw. :D it's like a cheat in the mold of a ingame character.

Jean=A=Luc
05-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Also baldurs gate to summarize it, you start off as a traveller and then just walk around in the woods killing goblins until you eventually get to a cave, there you kill goblins and then you get out. Then you kill goblins, then you find a town i think and then you kill goblins. Then you get to the next town (baldurs gate) and here you get to choose kill goblins, kill goblins, kill goblins or infiltrate a spooky house or two. After that you gotta kill more goblins, then you find some people. Then you kill goblins again (kinda repetive) and at the end you kill elementals and many other variations of creatures, however the entire start is about killing goblins, then you gotta kill zombies. Then you kill goblins and orcs, then you kill wolves and eventually you find some armored men that are evil.

Not how I remember it.

szebus
05-22-2010, 03:05 PM
First off mass effect got one of the best storylines out there, the fighting is awesome....

Mass Effect trilogy is a really impressive game,

Also baldurs gate to summarize it, you start off as a traveller and then just walk around in the woods killing goblins until you eventually get to a cave, there you kill goblins and then you get out. Then you kill goblins, then you find a town i think and then you kill goblins. Then you get to the next town (baldurs gate) and here you get to choose kill goblins, kill goblins, kill goblins or infiltrate a spooky house or two. After that you gotta kill more goblins, then you find some people. Then you kill goblins again (kinda repetive) and at the end you kill elementals and many other variations of creatures, however the entire start is about killing goblins, then you gotta kill zombies. Then you kill goblins and orcs, then you kill wolves and eventually you find some armored men that are evil.

I think you are confusing Baldures Gate with Nox or Diablo.

Oooo, Balldures Gate was almost the best RPG ever plus there are characters in-game who you can find in Wizards of the Coast books to. When played Neverwinter, all over the game was thinking of good moments from BG and BG2.

blackfang
05-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Mass Effect trilogy is a really impressive game,

I think you are confusing Baldures Gate with Nox or Diablo.

Oooo, Balldures Gate was almost the best RPG ever plus there are characters in-game who you can find in Wizards of the Coast books to. When played Neverwinter, all over the game was thinking of good moments from BG and BG2.

well to be honest i loved the game, and it was great when you finally got rid of the goblin part:D There are too many goblins there, i liked the variety once you got past all that:D