PDA

View Full Version : 0 A.d.

DarkMaster
04-30-2010, 09:26 PM
Looky (wildfiregames.com/0ad)
Can't wait til the first playable release!

Alex Walz
04-30-2010, 11:03 PM
0 AD is Dawn of Fantasy's sister title, of sorts. :)

GPS51
05-01-2010, 12:10 AM
I was able to get the game up and running on my box and I enjoyed it. But it's very rough still. I'd like to see where it is in a year or so.

Yami-Yagari
05-01-2010, 04:03 AM
Kinda reminds me of Age of Empires, which was fun to play.
but looks promising enough yeah.

DarkMaster
05-01-2010, 04:40 AM
0 AD is Dawn of Fantasy's sister title, of sorts.
And I thought I found a good-looking game that wasn't involved with Reverie in any way! Anyway, what do you mean by "sister title"? Are any of the devs also working on 0 AD?

Wait, I remember now - both 0 AD and DoF originated on the AoKH Forums! Is there any more connection than that? Are you people all secretly one person who happens to have game-developing super-powers?:p

wills370
05-01-2010, 05:52 AM
Wow that would be cool then. If they have put it together as good as you have then it should be two great titles. Sounds like alot of fun :)

Alex Walz
05-01-2010, 09:58 AM
And I thought I found a good-looking game that wasn't involved with Reverie in any way! Anyway, what do you mean by "sister title"? Are any of the devs also working on 0 AD?

Wait, I remember now - both 0 AD and DoF originated on the AoKH Forums! Is there any more connection than that? Are you people all secretly one person who happens to have game-developing super-powers?:p
Yup. They started around the same time in the same forums. 0 AD was a couple months later, but all the original devs from both teams knew each other. Not many of these oldies are still around but there was a fair bit of bouncing ideas around between both teams and we each had "embassies" at the other games' forums to keep them updated on our title. We're not so close anymore, but Kon and I still check out their progress every month and I talk with their PR Head and a couple other members every now and again. I did an interview with their new producer as well, back when I was with HG. And I wouldn't be surprised to see Robert, one of our scripters, work for WFG one day when they open up their level design department.

Aametherar
05-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Their graphics look like theyre taken directly from the old Age of _____ games.

Alex Walz
05-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Why do you say that? I think their art department is excellent.

This game is also freeware and cross-platform, so that alone is very impressive. Although I think it still has a couple years of development.

Aametherar
05-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Oh I didn't mean to say that they were! Just that it seems to be a source of inspiration. In my book if I can see clearly I don't care what it looks like, i'm all about game play. When I went to the link to look at it I was surprised to see that it's freeware. It's something i'll definitely be trying out.

Kire
05-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks for posting it, tho i didnt know about it but now i will have an eye on it since look quite nice. Just too bad there isnt mac version =).

Henry Martin
05-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks for posting it, tho i didnt know about it but now i will have an eye one it since look quite nice. Just too bad there isnt mac version =).

No their shouldn't be a mac version and shame on you for mentioning that:eek: . You should be stoned:) .

DarkMaster
05-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Their graphics look like theyre taken directly from the old Age of _____ games.
Except as though those games were made ten years from now (okay, slight exaduration):p
Just too bad there isnt mac version =).
Hmm, I thought that there was going to be (not that I was counting on it or anything).

Alex Walz
05-01-2010, 11:53 PM
There is a Mac version. Their art and PR head is a mac fanatic.

Except as though those games were made ten years from now (okay, slight exaduration)
Age of Empires is actually approaching 13 years. ;) Age of Kings is nearing 11.

Kire
05-02-2010, 05:10 AM
Oh right =P, i looked first and thought that OS X is some kind of version of linux. Oh silly me. Thanks for clearing that up =).

Negthareas
05-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Really, 11 years for Age of Kings? Yikes - I still play it every now and then - for nostolgia's sake. It was a very good game. I only had these problems with it

- acher's accuracy was too high, and arrows did not do enough damage [to units].
- walls were unwalkable

That was basically it. I made lots of scenarios with the scenario designer, though it took me about 3 months before I was able to figure all of the triggers out - then again, I was only 10 years old when I got Age of Conquerers... A good game.

Alex Walz
05-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Age of Kings and Age of Mythology were awesome games. I miss Ensemble Studios. :(

Yami-Yagari
05-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Did Ensemble Studios croak!? :eek:
NOOOO~!

Henry Martin
05-02-2010, 12:42 PM
Did Ensemble Studios croak!? :eek:
NOOOO~!

Didn't you hear. Microsoft closed down the studio after they finished halo wars last year.

Yami-Yagari
05-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Didn't you hear. Microsoft closed down the studio after they finished halo wars last year.

Another great dev studio croaks under the iron fist of microsoft. :( :mad:

blackfang
05-02-2010, 01:20 PM
Another great dev studio croaks under the iron fist of microsoft. :( :mad:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
I am still playing age of mythology:D I was hoping for a number 2:(

Alex Walz
05-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Ensemble Studios was doing great until the end, so it's not truly thee end of them - just the end of their partnership with Microsoft. Former Ensemble employees split to create four or five new studios. One of these studios is dedicated to iPhone games but I think the others are still in the RTS market.

Microsoft still has the rights to the 'Age of' franchise, but we could see something similar to an AOM2 as one of the child studios, Bonfire, is working on a new, "genre-redefining" mythological IP. Though from their job openings, it looks like it will most likely be either a console game or an MMOG.

Yami-Yagari
05-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Would like to see either of them. Although if its going to be console RTS, i might skip on it.