PDA

View Full Version : changing weather?

SvN
10-23-2007, 08:21 AM
the time will change from night to day in the game, but what about weather?
it would be a nice feature if the weather would change too, snow, rain, cloudy, thunder:)

iceblast
10-23-2007, 09:52 AM
im defintley sure there planning this or have already achieved this :)

Sharku
10-23-2007, 02:39 PM
I hope so, weather is really cool. If they do have weather will it effect your units? Like deep snow slows them down and rain messes up accuracy.

Joseph Visscher
10-23-2007, 02:46 PM
We'll have to wait for Ryan for this question.
Although I love the idea of the weather effecting your units, like if it rains archers will have less accuracy, that would mean its better to charge a fortress when its rainning. ;)

jap88
10-23-2007, 02:59 PM
I believe that there is incliment weather incorporated into DoF given that there is day and night it would not be hard to produce. that would mean its better to charge a fortress when its rainning.

Would also reduce accuracy of trebuchets/catapults/etc. though.

The Witch King of Angmar
10-23-2007, 03:24 PM
I believe that there is incliment weather incorporated into DoF given that there is day and night it would not be hard to produce.

Would also reduce accuracy of trebuchets/catapults/etc. though.

Maybe not considering how massive the things are that the tribs are hurling.

Gareth121
10-23-2007, 04:13 PM
I like the realism that a weather system puts into a game.

On another note, would weather affect the movement of troops? Also, how would the neutral elements in an environment react to said weather? Perhaps the availability of food sources could be affected, but maybe I'm looking too far into it. =D

The Witch King of Angmar
10-23-2007, 05:13 PM
I like the realism that a weather system puts into a game.

On another note, would weather affect the movement of troops? Also, how would the neutral elements in an environment react to said weather? Perhaps the availability of food sources could be affected, but maybe I'm looking too far into it. =D

Things like snow and sand storms might slow troops down and make economic situations more difficult.

Ryan Zelazny
10-23-2007, 05:16 PM
We do have a weather system!

DoF will have Rain, Snow, Sandstorms, and perhaps even other weather anomolies, both natural and magically created ;) .

Weather does affect units in different ways, archers will get reduced visibility, melee units will get slowed in cold climates. Sandstorms and other weather effects can even harm your units if they aren't properly protected from the elements.

We also have little touches like footprints being left in snow, sand and mud that allow for tracking, or misdirecting. Though with snow and sand, these will be covered over time by snowfall / sand movement.

Darvin
10-23-2007, 06:03 PM
I love weather, but my only concerns with it are randomness and fairness. Essentially I don't want to see a sandstorm at the wrong time totally throwing a player off, and I don't want to see a sandstorm suddenly giving one race or strategy a sizable or decisive advantage. This is just another balance issue, but it can be a bit of an annoying one because (under most weather implementation) it's random.

Ryan Zelazny
10-23-2007, 08:50 PM
Again it comes to point of realism vs. fun.

I'm sure in wars in our past sandstorms have risen up and totally threw the balance towards one side, and stuff happens you just gotta play what is dealt to you. Sometimes things happen in games that are unfair, and sometimes it's frustrating. I know I'm not the only gamer who's had some freak occurance in a game that didn't allow me to progress or something and I had to go back to a previous saved game or something else and waste hours of my time, but I don't fault anyone for it or give up playing (unless it's a repeated disaster).

I'm sure you might get a little ticked if you are in a tournament and your knocked out first round cause a sandstorm decimates your army, but we are going to take the power in which random occurances can actually affect you and make sure that occurances like this are kept to a minimum.

Darvin
10-23-2007, 10:45 PM
Rather than rare occurrences (then it's even more up to chance) I would instead advise two things:

A) these occurrences are not a matter of if, but when and how many. That reduces the randomness somewhat by adding a larger sample in any given game.

B) any one occurrence is not enough to turn around the game, merely offer new opportunities. That way one bad occurrence at a bad time won't throw you off too much, but if you're unprepared for them on a regular basis it will.

Again, this is a balance issue. It's one that is particularly annoying, which is why I brought it up.

frankein_fish
10-24-2007, 03:09 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me. Again this wheater system will kick ass :p

SvN
10-24-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm sure you might get a little ticked if you are in a tournament and your knocked out first round cause a sandstorm decimates your army, but we are going to take the power in which random occurances can actually affect you and make sure that occurances like this are kept to a minimum.

but wouldnt that sandstorm damage both players?

frankein_fish
10-24-2007, 10:27 AM
but wouldnt that sandstorm damage both players?

It probebly will do and if we hyper realistic it would also slow down siege eqiupment because the equipment will sink down into the sand.
However this will be a little too realistic

Gareth121
10-24-2007, 11:36 AM
I don't know.. it might just inspire players to think more strategically. I mean, if players could somehow get a heads-up on incoming weather, like hints, then the could plan around it.

The Witch King of Angmar
10-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Maybe like in the map descriptions it could tell you the type of weather and how often it occurs to prepare you for it. Or maybe in som kind of custom settings you could choose how often the weather effects would happen.

jap88
10-24-2007, 02:49 PM
I don't see incliment weather a problem, it affects both players in the same way.

Axal01
10-24-2007, 04:33 PM
Again it comes to point of realism vs. fun.

I'm sure in wars in our past sandstorms have risen up and totally threw the balance towards one side, and stuff happens you just gotta play what is dealt to you. Sometimes things happen in games that are unfair, and sometimes it's frustrating. I know I'm not the only gamer who's had some freak occurance in a game that didn't allow me to progress or something and I had to go back to a previous saved game or something else and waste hours of my time, but I don't fault anyone for it or give up playing (unless it's a repeated disaster).

I agree with you,only you.... Especially the first paragraph.

Puppeteer
10-25-2007, 01:18 PM
I think it would be better if the rain severly affects the "cruder" bowmen. Elven, and to an extent, human bows I presume would be a light but strong material, however Orc bowmen would probably use rope. In that case Orc bowmen (or goblin) should shoot not as far and accuracy much less.

The Witch King of Angmar
10-25-2007, 02:06 PM
I think it would be better if the rain severly affects the "cruder" bowmen. Elven, and to an extent, human bows I presume would be a light but strong material, however Orc bowmen would probably use rope. In that case Orc bowmen (or goblin) should shoot not as far and accuracy much less.

Agreed. That would add to the realism.

frankein_fish
10-26-2007, 02:38 AM
Well how about lighting storm they could wreak havoc in no time. If a siege tower get hit then its not so funny to be in that thing :p

†TYRANICK†™
10-26-2007, 02:53 AM
For weather predicting EE2 had a thing where each epoch you could build a set amount of watch tower thingies which somehow managed to predict the weather, it was quite good.

The Witch King of Angmar
10-26-2007, 02:13 PM
For weather predicting EE2 had a thing where each epoch you could build a set amount of watch tower thingies which somehow managed to predict the weather, it was quite good.

Would would they have in medieval times to predict the weather? Some guy to look and out see balck clouds to say it's gonna rain I guess. :p

Puppeteer
10-26-2007, 02:20 PM
or sorcery <sarky clap>