PDA

View Full Version : Single player

Irish_PXzyan
04-28-2010, 09:11 AM
Hey lads!
Can't believe this game is still not around!
Anyway!

What has the single player got to offer?

Is it going to be the typical skirmish map with a few players?
or will it be a huge map with lots and lots of AI???

Also it says Q2 2010 release date?
Is this true?

Yami-Yagari
04-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Single player got cut out of the initial release and replaced with Online Kingdoms Campaign.
You can find more on that at this thread
http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1387

About the release date, i also hope its going to be Q2 2010, but might not be atainable at this point, considering they still don't have a confirmed publisher.
Although they are constructing a build for potential publisher, so hope that works out OK.

Kire
04-28-2010, 02:52 PM
There will be skirmish maps, where would be like aoe maps. Compared to mmo part, you could do things quicker. There will be also different mods (aka castle defense/attacks and others).

Wizaerd
04-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Wait, what!?!?!? The SP was removed from the game? That's the only reason I was even interested in it, well that and the editor... I didn't want to play it online since I much prefer solo play... SO I suppose I should remove this from my list of games to watch for...

Yami-Yagari
04-28-2010, 03:33 PM
Wait, what!?!?!? The SP was removed from the game? That's the only reason I was even interested in it, well that and the editor... I didn't want to play it online since I much prefer solo play... SO I suppose I should remove this from my list of games to watch for...

http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1387
read it before jumping to conclusions.

Negthareas
04-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Yes - They are working for a SP to go into the game. Alex said so in a very recent post.

Irish_PXzyan
04-28-2010, 06:13 PM
If there is no actual skirmish mode like a typical RTS game or something like that then that sucks.
I do not want to have to play online..
What about the casual gamer versus the hardcore gamer?

I get around 3 hours at best a day..
what about kids that get to go on it much more.
I would get beaten by kids?

I prefer to play offline as I prefer to enjoy games at my own pace!

I don't want cheesy siege skirmish or something small.
I want at least a small world to conquer!!
It does not need RP mode!
Just your typical RTS skirmish modes like age of empires!

Daermoth
04-28-2010, 06:25 PM
Given the game itself is called an MMORTS..meaning massive multiplayer online..I don't see what the big fuss about single player is, I mean there are a ton of single player RTS's and when finally one purely multiplayer comes out, people complain that it has no single player:P Sure it is nice to have a single player mode to relax and unwind sometimes but implementing something like that could seriously damage the multiplayer content, it would limit the time of the devs to work on viable multiplayer content while they try to think of what to do in single player...so yeah, I'd much rather have them cut it completely out and then perhaps add it in at some much later date, or never:P

sneaky_squirrel
04-28-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm pretty sure Reverie won't dissapoint us ;p.

Kire
04-28-2010, 07:59 PM
I think you ppl misunderstood, single player campaign got inherited into start of mmo part (so it is done in mmo part not in SP). Single player skirmish + multiplayer skirmish are still here and as i said in previous post also different mods of skirmish play. So dont worry skirmish part like AoE or AoM or EE ..... (any normal RTS) have is still here.

Again, Yami-Yagari talked about CAMPAIGN not skirmish mods. SP or Multiplayer skirmish are still here.

Aametherar
04-29-2010, 03:15 AM

There will most likely be SP content released in time. You can also pretty much count on a lot of nice single player content being put out by mapmakers and modders given the power that the editor boasts. Also the way the MMO mode is setup it will likely be very appealing to players who generally prefer to stick to single player.

Irish_PXzyan
04-29-2010, 07:14 AM
Ahh he typical singleplayer skirmish mode is there!
Good stuff!
happy to hear that!

Daermoth: Reason why people like me would not be happy is because it was said to have singleplayer over 3-4 years ago when I first visited there old website.

After waiting for so long I don't want what I have been waiting for to be taken away after years of watching this progress.

I just feel that a simple single player game should be there to the casual gamers or for those that want to relax from the online world!
and of course the multiplayer for those hardcore gamers or for those looking for a good challenge and some fun!

But my question was answered! I am happy!

Yami-Yagari
04-29-2010, 08:50 AM
BTW, if people have read the other thread, the SP Campaign will be reintroduced as post release content, so no biggie.:)

Puppeteer
04-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Ahh he typical singleplayer skirmish mode is there!
Good stuff!
happy to hear that!

Daermoth: Reason why people like me would not be happy is because it was said to have singleplayer over 3-4 years ago when I first visited there old website.

After waiting for so long I don't want what I have been waiting for to be taken away after years of watching this progress.

I just feel that a simple single player game should be there to the casual gamers or for those that want to relax from the online world!
and of course the multiplayer for those hardcore gamers or for those looking for a good challenge and some fun!

But my question was answered! I am happy!
I assure you Single Player mode will be available, you were misinformed earlier - SP will be what I'll focus on too!

wills370
04-29-2010, 04:47 PM
If you want to know more you can always go on the dawnoffantasy website that holds all the information currently released on the game and its aims etc.

Irish_PXzyan
04-30-2010, 06:25 AM
Thanks lads!

Just hurry and get a publisher already!!
been waiting for years!!!

Yami-Yagari
04-30-2010, 07:22 AM
Thanks lads!

Just hurry and get a publisher already!!
been waiting for years!!!

They already had several. the only downside of it is because of the financial crisis, all those publishers filed bankruptcy.
Such a shame that many publishers and studios have gone down under because of it :(.

sumo0
04-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Given the game itself is called an MMORTS..meaning massive multiplayer online..I don't see what the big fuss about single player

u dont expect a singleplayer version of wow do u? or sto or any other MMO.

Daermoth
04-30-2010, 03:56 PM
Exactly, I mean, why bother with single player in it, you can just as easy play "single player" online in the persistent world, sure there's a small chance you'll be invaded but hey, that's just normal risk that you could get from being invaded by AI in single player:P

Yami-Yagari
04-30-2010, 04:04 PM
sure there's a small chance you'll be invaded but hey, that's just normal risk that you could get from being invaded by AI in single player:P

Not nessecarily. Every time you log out, you still get income, but other people won't be able to attack or raid you.
Then again, staying offline only to make sure you won't be attack kinda eliminates the purpose of spending 50 dollars/euro's on it then. :p

Puppeteer
04-30-2010, 04:06 PM
"Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein
Why not? Sure, DoF is has an MMORTS aspect but it sure can (well, looks as if it can) hold its own even as a single player. Besides, single player on easy mode is a way of building up a castle how one wants without the threat of constant player invasion. Or hopefully, at least. Until Reverie adds a Sandbox mode in a later patch (expectant hint :D ).
I'm not one for competitiveness in any case, so single player should take the edge off.

Wizaerd
04-30-2010, 04:55 PM
If the game had been initially advertised as an MMORTS only then I probably would have moved on in the first place. But since we were inittially told that it was also a single player game as well, that's what got me interested in it. No I don;t expect single player in WoW because it was never said to have a single player mode. This one did, hence some people looking forward to a single player mode.

Either way, it's a moot point because they still said they'd have single player... It's the SP and the editor I'm interested in, the online capabilities does not interest me one single whit...

Wizaerd
04-30-2010, 05:19 PM
If you want to know more you can always go on the dawnoffantasy website that holds all the information currently released on the game and its aims etc.

For the record, if you do go to the main webste, under features you'll see an item listed as 4 unique game mode which clearly states:

"To give players the greatest value in the game, Dawn of Fantasy impressively boasts four different game modes, including innovative MMORTS game mode, an intense single player campaign, full-featured regular multipayer skirmish and extensive Singleplayer skirmish mode. Each game mode brings a unique gampleay experience to the table , complete with new game rules and countless hours of storytelling , fantasy kingdom building and epic battles."

That's why people want and expect there to be a single player mode... And I for one really want the SP campaign as well, althouth Reverie is now saying it might release a SP campaign later on down the road...

Wizaerd
04-30-2010, 05:28 PM
Given the game itself is called an MMORTS..meaning massive multiplayer online..I don't see what the big fuss about single player is, I mean there are a ton of single player RTS's and when finally one purely multiplayer comes out, people complain that it has no single player:P Sure it is nice to have a single player mode to relax and unwind sometimes but implementing something like that could seriously damage the multiplayer content, it would limit the time of the devs to work on viable multiplayer content while they try to think of what to do in single player...so yeah, I'd much rather have them cut it completely out and then perhaps add it in at some much later date, or never:P

My last post on the subject (for the day at least... heh heh heh) It's not just an RTS. You are correct, there are a myriad of RTS games that have single player, but this game isn't just an RTS... It's a Kingdom Simulator as well, where you build a city and a keep... It features more up to date an innovative features than a regular ole RTS game would have... And offers an experience that you cannot find in any current RTS game...

Henry Martin
04-30-2010, 06:55 PM
My last post on the subject (for the day at least... heh heh heh) It's not just an RTS. You are correct, there are a myriad of RTS games that have single player, but this game isn't just an RTS... It's a Kingdom Simulator as well, where you build a city and a keep... It features more up to date an innovative features than a regular ole RTS game would have... And offers an experience that you cannot find in any current RTS game...

Well, technically it is a traditional RTS base building just with a twist, the base is continuous/permanent.

Its a mix of your basic RTS skirmish base building with Total war world map. Which in my book is awesome:).

Josh Warner
04-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Lots of disinformation in this thread and even more poorly worded statements :p

There will be plenty to do for those of you that do not wish to play online. The lay siege/castle defend will be playable against AI. And some other things that I can't go into detail on yet, I will say that one of the other single player modes will be on a grander scale, not just a small skirmish.

Well, technically it is a traditional RTS base building just with a twist, the base is continuous/permanent.

Its a mix of your basic RTS skirmish base building with Total war world map. Which in my book is awesome:).

That might seem small but it changes the game dramatically. You can't see what your opponents will be building in MMORTS mode, you go into battles blind as to what you'll be facing and armies train very slowly so losing a large amount of units, or massing a single unit type will make you incredibly inflexible. Unlike a normal RTS you can't mass THEN see what they have and mass something else. You need to have a well balanced army or you're flipping a coin on whether or not your army will go up against units that they're weak to, very risky.

zach12wqasxz
04-30-2010, 07:09 PM

There will be plenty to do for those of you that do not wish to play online. The lay siege/castle defend will be playable against AI. And some other things that I can't go into detail on yet, I will say that one of the other single player modes will be on a grander scale, not just a small skirmish.

That might seem small but it changes the game dramatically. You can't see what your opponents will be building in MMORTS mode, you go into battles blind as to what you'll be facing and armies train very slowly so losing a large amount of units, or massing a single unit type will make you incredibly inflexible. Unlike a normal RTS you can't mass THEN see what they have and mass something else. You need to have a well balanced army or you're flipping a coin on whether or not your army will go up against units that they're weak to, very risky.

and this is what makes the game much more realistic and strategic, and not a big blobfest to see who can crank out the most units faster, wich i find in almost every single rts ive ever played in my entire life

Henry Martin
04-30-2010, 07:34 PM

Ok, you caught my generalizing:p. None of the people here will know what the game will be unless they work for Reverie or they play the game. And even then they won't know the game fully.

Daermoth
04-30-2010, 09:24 PM

I apologize if I seemed to have been generalizing, it is just that given the multiplayer component of the game, single player is largely unnecessary, at least it is so in my opinion. Like I mentioned earlier, the persistent online building up and everything is structured in a way that makes it almost possible to play as a single player game, with a slight risk of getting attacked while you are online. Now I understand that you're not interested in the online gaming part, but what prevents you ( aside from not having an internet connection, though you do seem to have that:P ) from just playing it online without any interaction with other players? Perhaps reverie might even implement a system where a player might choose in the beginning to play a PvE game of sorts with his/her kingdom, in other words..to remove the option of being attacked by others. The game would remain online and be played online, you might have chatting possible if you want to, but you would be..for all intents and purposes alone. Anyhow, that's my view as I stated earlier, I just find it unnecessary to implement a new game mode when it can be so seamlessly incorporated into the existing persistent online world:)