PDA

View Full Version : Looks like we have some competition

Alex Walz
04-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Earlier today, Petroglyph announced their new MMORTS, End of Nations. Graphics leave a little to be desired for a major studio (though they have pretty nice CGI), but it sounds like their instanced maps are pretty huge covering square miles and make up for this.

Not crazy about modern warfare games or the fact that they're dubbing it the "first MMORTS." But it looks pretty decent.

http://www.endofnations.com/en/index.php

nickson104
04-26-2010, 05:26 PM
I dont even see them as competition, scanned the page... It doesnt sound too great, and as you said, it is easily outdone in graphics...

DoF is a total different approach to the genre, and so hardly competes with that game... And even if they were to compete, I think DoF would win as it just sounds overall a much better game, much more thought out... And the MMO aspect of DoF sounds a lot better than their one

GPS51
04-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Hmm looks like a lot of current games already out. DOF is in no trouble :)

Kire
04-26-2010, 06:33 PM
At that game looks interesting big maps and many players on one map. And beside that its nice feeling that there is one ultra powerful (overpowered) computer evil (for all ppl) that ppl can play against.
I also agree, it doesnt look so nice. And i am little upset for them saying it is first mmorts x.x, tho are they living in a cave to not know this one?=) (tho not saying this one is first but at least first decent one =P)

otomotopia
04-26-2010, 06:38 PM
I'm ****ed they call it the first MMORTS. I can't wait for someone to call them out on it.

Even so, I'll give that game its fair shot. The studio is well known, and I'll give my two cents to their community. No reason to rip them, all the reason to make suggestions.

That being said, DoF is still my favorite upcoming title :D

Alex Walz
04-26-2010, 07:15 PM
You can't get too upset if they call themselves the first MMORTS though... we've used that line too. Although I do believe we had the first MMORTS concept, just took us a little bit. :p

LastSpartan
04-26-2010, 07:30 PM
I doubt it will be any popular.. search it up in google images and you get a bunch of things doing with countries. The graphics and game play kinda looks lame if you ask me tho.

Yami-Yagari
04-27-2010, 01:26 AM
Graphics remind me of Battalion Wars, which are decent on its own, and if i'm really honest is doesn't even look that bad as people here describe it.
but i know how a MMORTS with tanks is going to end. :rolleyes:
Won't be long before people stop playing it because of constant frustrating tankrush.

Yami-Yagari
04-27-2010, 02:15 AM
Graphics remind me of Battalion Wars, which are decent on its own, and if i'm really honest is doesn't even look that bad as people here describe it.
but i know how a MMORTS with tanks is going to end. :rolleyes:
Won't be long before people stop playing it because of constant frustrating tankrush.

My bad, hadn't read up on the subject, apparently i'm dead off.
Hoped it would have been more RA, but instead its going more C&C4/WiC.
Kinda shame really, was hoping it would have been more like DoF with basebuilding, but hope it works out.

Aametherar
04-27-2010, 02:35 AM
I don't think a Modern/futuristic theme poses any threat to a Fantasy theme. That being said neither are the first but everyone says they are, it's good advertising and most people are ignorant anyways!

Will I have to pay a subscription fee to play End of Nations?
Yes, a subscription fee will be required to play End of Nations. However, the exact price per month is still being determined and will be announced much closer to game’s release.

Theres another thing that helps eliminate it as competition (=

Yami-Yagari
04-27-2010, 03:20 AM
I have to pay monthly for a game that resembles C&C4 in gameplay, which in all honesty, was horrible IMO?
DoF FTW, i guess.:o

szebus
04-27-2010, 04:57 AM
Isn't Petroglyph the one responsible with Mytheon ?

Supreme
04-27-2010, 05:26 AM
It's funny how you notice us of this, though. ;)

Yami-Yagari
04-27-2010, 06:40 AM
Ive played Mytheon, its quite good. But its pretty linear, and thus bores easily:( .

Henry Martin
04-27-2010, 08:06 AM
I wouldn't worry too much as if you read most of the comments they don't seem to be too interested. The fantasy medieval theme that DOF has is more appealing for MMOs and thats giving an edge over them.

The game too me didn't look at all interesting. DOF will be my MMORTS out of the ones I have heard of so far.

blackfang
04-27-2010, 02:49 PM
I got mytheon... Somewhere... Stashed away... In the junk pile i call dvd's... Don't know why i did it since its a online game tough:(

Yami-Yagari
04-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Yeah, medieval RTS are way more fun to play, because you need few of every type of unit in order to be succesfull.
Instead of modern/future RTS, which eventually boils down to making loads of the best unit available and zerg.

blackfang
04-28-2010, 03:22 AM
well think about this then, a back alley where only infantry can go. There comes a zerging of the best tanks. They can't reach the infantry units... The infantry units get a shot off now and then. And when the enemy finally deploys some infantry then he lost all the best he got. Then again i guess it will be like most other rts, "wow this tank can't fit through there? Ohh i was mistaken it does actually, its a wonder how the tanks can drive through buildings without damaging them:) "

Was what i wanted to say BUT, THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE INFANTRY:eek:

Yami-Yagari
04-28-2010, 04:20 AM
Was what i wanted to say BUT, THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE INFANTRY:eek:

You really can't call it a RTS if you don't have infantry. :(
Without infantry you won't have airdrops, ambushes and/or cannonfodder to throw away for the sake of winning.

The Witch King of Angmar
04-28-2010, 02:45 PM
DoF will still pwn them. I hate modern warfare games as well.

GPS51
04-28-2010, 03:00 PM
World in conflict was fun. End war looks very similiar but since I haven't played I can't comment with any authority.

Yami-Yagari
04-28-2010, 03:37 PM
World in Conflict was fun, yes.
Got stuck later on and stopped playing, though :(

Negthareas
04-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Lol - doesn't seem like much competition for me - the thin gamers might take a shot at it, but real ones will pass it off. Petroglyph also did some good work with Empire at War [Star Wars RTS].

Negthareas
04-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Might be worth it if it had good graphics, but as is - looks disappointing.

Bad graphics means more players. SIGH.

Yami-Yagari
04-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Bad graphics means more players. SIGH.

You probably mean less players. :rolleyes:

Plus you got to pay monthly to play it, and with disappointing graphics and gameplay, won't bode well for the game.

Negthareas
04-28-2010, 08:46 PM
I meant that they compromised the graphics in order to allow many players [over 50 players for an RTS with maps that big is a BIG accomplishment].

I might end up trying it, but still - the graphics will be a turn off for lots of players.

Yami-Yagari
04-29-2010, 03:22 AM
I meant that they compromised the graphics in order to allow many players [over 50 players for an RTS with maps that big is a BIG accomplishment].

I might end up trying it, but still - the graphics will be a turn off for lots of players.

Ah, ok my bad.
But yes, having over 50 players in one battle does has it temptations.
As long as monthly pay stays somewhere low budget.

blackfang
04-29-2010, 06:02 AM
One of the BEST games out there is END WAR! using a microphone you control an entire army screaming out commands like "unit one move to bravo, unit two engage unit 4. Unit 8 protect unit 9." And then they actually do it, its immensely awesome! However my microphone broke so i uninstalled the game since its not fun with normal commands, also i got very little money right now so i cant afford a new mike:(

Yami-Yagari
04-29-2010, 08:46 AM
End War must be so much fun to do with a mic at night, when people are sleeping and you keep shouting them awake when they need to get up at 5:30am :D .

Henry Martin
04-29-2010, 10:27 AM
One of the BEST games out there is END WAR! using a microphone you control an entire army screaming out commands like "unit one move to bravo, unit two engage unit 4. Unit 8 protect unit 9." And then they actually do it, its immensely awesome! However my microphone broke so i uninstalled the game since its not fun with normal commands, also i got very little money right now so i cant afford a new mike:(

Lol, when socom us navy seals first came out they sold a headset/mic with it. When I got I was in my room yelling at my units "Fire at will","move to..." and my mom looking in my room, as she thought I was talking to myself.

I didn't really care for END WAR.

nickson104
04-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Lol, when socom us navy seals first came out they sold a headset/mic with it. When I got I was in my room yelling at my units "Fire at will","move to..." and my mom looking in my room, as she thought I was talking to myself.

I didn't really care for END WAR.

Socom was GREAT!!! That was a really good game, i loved it! I totally forgot about that game, its gotta be pretty damn old now! lol

Negthareas
04-29-2010, 12:27 PM
They are still going strong too, but not really my thing.

Negthareas
04-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Petroglyph is also coming out with a fantasy MMORPG in 2011 -

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6260234.html

Of its heretofore unspecified project, Trion said that the massively multiplayer online role-playing game will be titled Rift: Planes of Telara. Described as a dynamic fantasy MMORPG, the game is expected to launch for the PC in 2011.

As its title might suggest, the game's premise is that of "rifts" in space-time that are playing havoc with the land of Telara and threatening to tear the fabric of the universe. Trion noted that the world will be highly malleable, as these rifts can be triggered by players or the development team, and they can also occur spontaneously. Their arrival will apparently alter the landscape, as well as open up new areas for exploration.

I hope that it wil not detract at all from us.

Yami-Yagari
04-29-2010, 12:46 PM
As its title might suggest, the game's premise is that of "rifts" in space-time that are playing havoc with the land of Telara and threatening to tear the fabric of the universe. Trion noted that the world will be highly malleable, as these rifts can be triggered by players or the development team, and they can also occur spontaneously. Their arrival will apparently alter the landscape, as well as open up new areas for exploration.

The idea of changing ingame landscapes has some appeal to it.
Only real concern is that it can go wrong in many ways possible, like players getting stuck after landscapes get altered.

LiTos456
04-29-2010, 02:30 PM
It looks like it's going to be stormrise all over the game.
Something just doesn't convince me this game is going to do any good.
And the fact that they say it's the first MMORTS is just not true.

Yami-Yagari
04-29-2010, 02:38 PM
It looks like it's going to be stormrise all over the game.

Stormrise is an abomination, and it must never be mentioned ever again.:mad:

EVER!

wills370
04-29-2010, 05:04 PM
Hmm looking at that game i can see a few faults.

The graphics arent brilliant.
The number of playrs are limted in there army size so even if there are that many its hardly a army and more of a squad. Which kind of detracts
Whats going to happen to all the players that die, are they going to respawn or sit and watch
seems to be a inequality in power of weapons.

Thats what i got from the video but untill its out i wont judge, i would like to think it would be good though. But i dont think DOF has anything to worry its hitting a diffrent sect of the genre.

Yami-Yagari
04-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Yeah, Fantasy will always have the bigger appeal then most other genres, because when you think about a fantasy RTS, you know there will be great battles with massive armies clashing, and not teeny tiny squadsized vehicle armies.

otomotopia
04-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Ironically, I am their top poster. I can already see that this game is not what their community expects. Their mods are terrible, their features are not what the community wants, and their developers aren't even addressing any of the issues their members have brought up.

It doesn't look good for them.

LiTos456
04-29-2010, 10:56 PM
Ironically, I am their top poster. I can already see that this game is not what their community expects. Their mods are terrible, their features are not what the community wants, and their developers aren't even addressing any of the issues their members have brought up.

Awesome, we've got an insider!
Sounds good for us, but still, I mourn any game that loses it's potential because of poor developers.

Henry Martin
04-29-2010, 11:32 PM
Socom was GREAT!!! That was a really good game, i loved it! I totally forgot about that game, its gotta be pretty damn old now! lol

Yes awesome series indeed. I'm glad Zipper decided to make socom 4 which from the gameplay of the prealpha I saw looks to be another great game.

They showed of the PS3 motion controller with it which doesn't look that interesting.

Yami-Yagari
04-30-2010, 03:20 AM

So basicly the game is as good as dead before they even release it :p .

Negthareas
04-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Hopefully, this will not lead to poor speculations for "real" MMORTS games.

Yami-Yagari
04-30-2010, 02:03 PM
Hopefully, this will not lead to poor speculations for "real" MMORTS games.

Well, it depends on what gets released first.
if End of Nations releases first, if will blow and it will affect other people's opinion of "real" MMORTS games, in a wrong way.

if DoF releases first, is will rock and people's opinion towards "real" MMORTS games will be positive, which will be the beginning for new MMORTS's which actually are decent.

Negthareas
04-30-2010, 04:05 PM
Well, it depends on what gets released first.
if End of Nations releases first, if will blow and it will affect other people's opinion of "real" MMORTS games, in a wrong way.

if DoF releases first, is will rock and people's opinion towards "real" MMORTS games will be positive, which will be the beginning for new MMORTS's which actually are decent.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

Yami-Yagari
04-30-2010, 04:16 PM
The first game of every new genre(or new way of gameplay), in most cases, will always decide whether or not the new genre will be a success, or fail and fade in obscurity.