PDA

View Full Version : Running tips?

LastSpartan
04-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Lol i know this has nothing to do with video games but... I got 8:30 on the mile recently and now i want to decrease it to 6;39. Any runnign tips?:eek:

SvN
04-22-2010, 03:39 PM
start running alot. no pain no gain;)

Yami-Yagari
04-22-2010, 03:56 PM
exercise alot, all i can say

GPS51
04-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Try breathing. It's always given me trouble when I run.

Alex Walz
04-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Pace yourself - don't start out too fast. Spring the last lap/quarter mile.

welshie
04-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Depends why you want to decrease it.

If your racing and need to practice i would suggest starting fast to get out of trafic then cruise control till about half a mile from finish then burn the rest of it. I do mile and a half in just under 9 mins and thats what im training like.

If its just for fitness then a just go about 75% all the way and when you get nackered you stop I.e run as much as you can for that pace then when u get nackered stop eventualy it will get longer and longer, and to me a mile in 6:39 is roughly 75% max speed not sure about yours but you can ajust.

Best training methods to look at are:

Farklet training (prymrid training) - Bascily setting up levels of speed in certian distances i.e jog for 50 meters then sprint 50 meters then walk 50 meters do that for a whole mile. This can be used for other methods of workouts as well not just running and is a great stamina builder.

Just cardio - Bascily keep running but do other things as well like cycling, running with weights. Swimming is another good excercise, all this will help with speed while keeping your fitness regime nice and varied.

Anerobic/speed training - If you go to the gym this would increase your speed quite a bit, bascily go on the weights and do about 50-75% maximum weights on the machine but instead of doing slow reps do lots of quick reps this will increase your fast twitch muscles making your reactions/general speed better.

blackfang
04-23-2010, 02:06 PM
Be glad you are not like me, i am not good at running, i am not good at jogging. However the one thing that keeps me on a 5 in gym (B) in some grade cases, is my willpower to get it. This is not a training tip its just what i can manage with my willpower, you know like those last stand thingies in games where you use your last bit of strength to take down the enemy. Its kinda like that, when i get exhausted i have acquired the willpower to run about half the distance i already covered (this is on flat ground tough) with a sprint. This sprint is something even i think is incredible that i can pull off at those instants, i don't breathe more then once every 1/4 of the track, i don't have any strength, i don't have any speed (i think) but then BAM i am sprinting. Is that weird to use the last of strength with a sprint also after this i can't walk and thats just embarrassing. However i got just about two laps of sprint by turning off everything i even have to close my eyes to pull it off... Opening them just as i feel a turn then closing them and remembering the lap. This same thing is used in paintball, however here it is even worse at some points since i close off so much i can't think straight and just charge the enemy straight on into a bullet rain.

Its very annoying however it ends up with me getting good grades in gymnastics and better K/D rate in paintball:D So there is something good about it:rolleyes: But damned it kills me for a few days after one of those...

DarkMaster
04-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Yeah what Blackfang said. Don't think about how exhausted you are, think about the finish (and beating other people).

I suck at running too. I'm physically fit, but just can't seem to move my legs really fast:mad:

GPS51
04-23-2010, 07:07 PM
I suck at running too. I'm physically fit, but just can't seem to move my legs really fast:mad:

Hear hear. I once was on a bball team with long distance runners. I was there to make them feel better about their running performances during practice. :p I lived for inside rebounding drills. Then those 25 extra pounds were beautiful. :D

Yami-Yagari
04-24-2010, 01:12 AM
Kinda depends on the condition of your legs to in order to move faster. Used to be able to run for a while without getting that exhausted, but messed up my knees really badly so running won´t go so well anymore. :(

Puppeteer
04-24-2010, 03:58 AM
Heh, I also messed up a knee. That sucks, I used to be a good short-distance runner and I liked long-distance. Short-distance is out the question now :(

LastSpartan
04-24-2010, 04:42 PM
thx all i love ya so ,ich =D