PDA

View Full Version : Religion and Gods

Yami-Yagari
04-18-2010, 10:20 AM
This is something ive been wondering for some while. Will there be deities in DoF, and if yes would you be able to worship them for special effects like divine interventions?:confused:

Jean=A=Luc
04-18-2010, 10:56 AM
I worship Steven Spielberg and George Lucas for those.

Puppeteer
04-18-2010, 11:11 AM
God no.
:D
We've had this before, but we established that religions might bring inherent morality, which we don't want. No one's good and no one's evil.

Jean=A=Luc
04-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Well gods can be "neutral" as well. There could be elemental gods who are also the sources of magic so if you're a water magic user you worship the Great Water Elemental or something. Though it might be refreshing to have a fantasy world without gods.

Aametherar
04-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Well gods can be "neutral" as well. There could be elemental gods who are also the sources of magic so if you're a water magic user you worship the Great Water Elemental or something. Though it might be refreshing to have a fantasy world without gods.

Certain people still tie anything into "blasphemy!" It just needs to stay out unfortunately.

Kire
04-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Maybe it would be nice to have some sort of demigods, for example elementals (or x creature) that is great in power (magical and raw) and immortal (unless killed) so ppl around there fear it and therefore must sacrifice things or it attacks them or take them rain (if some kind water elemental) or bring snow sooner. But you can gather forces and try to kill it. Some kind of boss encounter idea =).

Yami-Yagari
04-18-2010, 01:52 PM
Maybe it would be nice to have some sort of demigods, for example elementals (or x creature) that is great in power (magical and raw) and immortal (unless killed) so ppl around there fear it and therefore must sacrifice things or it attacks them or take them rain (if some kind water elemental) or bring snow sooner. But you can gather forces and try to kill it. Some kind of boss encounter idea =).

Something like random outdoor boss encounters which you need to pay tribute to in order to make sure he wont attack you?

could work :)

Puppeteer
04-18-2010, 02:11 PM
I think a magic-oriented mod could implement more spells, a demigod system among other additions later on. Reverie certainly need not implement this ;)

Gleem
04-18-2010, 06:54 PM
I worship Steven Spielberg and George Lucas for those.

After what they've done to Indiana Jones and Star Wars respectively? Why?

Aothane
04-18-2010, 07:55 PM
We've had this before, but we established that religions might bring inherent morality, which we don't want. No one's good and no one's evil.

gods are not necessary for objective morality, and in and of themselves would not necessitate the same.

I'm not opposed to the concept, depending on the lore and overall relevance. However, if their placement is simply an afterthought it would show through and simply dilute the core premise of the setting and situation. Both Warhammer and AD&D make full use of these concepts, however their background is that much more extensive as well as relatively established. For Dawn of Fantasy I gather most of the focus is more immediate in context, maybe dieties and gods will have a place in the developing scheme, but all of that remains to be seen.

blackfang
04-19-2010, 09:18 AM
Put in dragons and giants, give them a speech box. Make them say worship me and then you can kill it... Like ALWAYS the gods are made to be killed:D

welshie
04-19-2010, 11:55 AM
religion doesnt have to mean bad and good, druids are a perfect example, their actions made it a personal choice not imposing the choices.

Yami-Yagari
04-21-2010, 05:56 AM
religion doesnt have to mean bad and good, druids are a perfect example, their actions made it a personal choice not imposing the choices.

true. same thing for orcs to, instead in the end it always ends with them slaughtering people

blackfang
04-21-2010, 11:41 AM
the only way to get orcs out of that killing way of life would be to convert them to Satanism, cause then there would be no orcs left to worry about:rolleyes:

Yami-Yagari
04-21-2010, 12:42 PM
only way to get orcs to stop killing people would be to turn them into hippies:eek: .
and thats a new level of wrong

Negthareas
04-21-2010, 06:27 PM
gods are not necessary for objective morality, and in and of themselves would not necessitate the same.

I'm not opposed to the concept, depending on the lore and overall relevance. However, if their placement is simply an afterthought it would show through and simply dilute the core premise of the setting and situation. Both Warhammer and AD&D make full use of these concepts, however their background is that much more extensive as well as relatively established. For Dawn of Fantasy I gather most of the focus is more immediate in context, maybe dieties and gods will have a place in the developing scheme, but all of that remains to be seen.

In my story at least, I am portraying the various races as having religions, but all of them are different - they oppose each other. There fore the observer [gamer, reader, etc.] must choose between them. Same as chosing your own individual race.

rglaa
04-24-2010, 10:08 AM
عيري بضمايركم من اليووم ادوور اللعبه Dawn of Fantasy اخرتها طلع جذي والله عيري بضمايركم من كل قلبي

Darvin
04-24-2010, 04:06 PM
There does not appear to be any need for "active" divine entities in the DoF universe. Not only have we seen no indication to date of any cleric or religious units, but the game would work just fine without them. Instead, DoF may apply "passive" or "implied" religion, which would be similar to how it's handled in Warcraft.

Even though Warcraft has its holy warriors, it's never made clear whether they are receiving divine inspiration or just weild their own unique brand of magic.

Gruber12
07-22-2010, 03:35 AM
I shall worship great Atheismo for a tech boost :D

Jean=A=Luc
07-22-2010, 03:50 AM
There does not appear to be any need for "active" divine entities in the DoF universe. Not only have we seen no indication to date of any cleric or religious units, but the game would work just fine without them. Instead, DoF may apply "passive" or "implied" religion, which would be similar to how it's handled in Warcraft.

This is why is was somewhat surprised by the Knights' "pray" ability. It was just so standard, Christianity-derived, "palladin-ish" and considering what you said above I wondered where did this come from.

Of course humans could have some kind of deity regardless of whether it's mentioned or not but I still wish that unit was conceptualized differently.

N3V312M0123
11-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Religion and divine interventions can be implemented into the game but obviously care must be taken not to offend people. I'd like to believe we live in a time where people don't take offense (especially regarding religion) so easily.
why can't religions co-exist without descending on each other like a pack of rats?! :(

Altastico
11-27-2010, 05:10 AM
I doubt they would to be real life religions, as its a fantasy game.

Smerf
11-27-2010, 06:28 AM
I hope everyone can choose his God and give him a name. The God of my orc would mean Gathll'zogg.

tim1983
11-27-2010, 07:09 AM
i think if religion and gods had to be implemented, it would have to be done properly both graphics and gameplay wise.. most of the games iv seen trying to implement this have fallen flat on their asses in my opinion.. only exception i would say is Zeus: Master of Olympus, and somewhat Age of Mythology

Smerf
11-27-2010, 07:51 AM
I mean, it does not have great impact on the game. It is sufficient if it is visible for others. Perhaps a shrine or something, but then that's it.

Toth
11-28-2010, 04:10 AM
What would be pretty awesome is if you had religion as a sort of organisation that stands above clans and alliances etc. kind of like real religion.

jleem21
11-28-2010, 11:41 AM
I hope everyone can choose his God and give him a name. The God of my orc would mean Gathll'zogg.

I'd name my Gods(if possible) after a bunch of characters from The Elder Scrolls series...Lacking on the creativity, I know :cool:

SmasherKao
11-29-2010, 07:06 PM
i was hoping for limited magic and it seems that they are going to do that

Jeremiah87
11-30-2010, 02:46 PM
Could be interesting, but like previous posts, some people would take their religion too much to heart :\

Daft
11-30-2010, 09:27 PM
I think gods could be pretty cool in Dawn of Fantasy, but I don't really think they're needed. I think that any sort of gameplay implementation would be way too close in function to the way I think magic works, so it'd be a little redundant. Still, if there's any RP function that lets you write up descriptions for your race, I think it'd be cool if there was a place for you to post a description of your people's faith, or lack there of. It'd be completely optional, and it'd make RP junkies like me all giddy for at least 5 minutes.

irascor
12-04-2010, 02:07 PM
to be honest i'm not sure if having gods in the game it might bring an unfair advantage in later Expantions when they have new Races like Dwarfs because Dwarfs worship the "Stone" not gods

Katana
12-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Interesting idea i wouldnt mind seeing it in the game.

Nollo
12-04-2010, 03:31 PM
deities oooooo~ crush them all i say!

gatorback05
12-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Nollo that seems to be your answer for everything...

so what do you think your city is going to be called? Crush them all haha

flameoflucifer
12-05-2010, 03:50 AM
Maybe you can become a god...and create your own religion in the game!

bamato
12-05-2010, 04:31 AM
Nah, isn't that necessary in this game.

Damnedghost
12-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Maybe religion would be nice if you could elect your own deity. Like some sort of tree-hugging deity for the elves.

Marcos182
12-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Maybe religion would be nice if you could elect your own deity. Like some sort of tree-hugging deity for the elves.

Yeah that would be cool. That would also influence alliances and factions