PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion thread for Hero Skills/"Auras".

otomotopia
04-11-2010, 01:52 PM
So I was bored, and I wanted to list some skills and Auras, or AoE buffs, I thought would be awesome for heroes. Feel free to list your own!

Name: Battle-chant
Race: Orc
Description/effect: Orc hero chants, causing surrounding units to gain a movement and attack speed bonus.
Other potential effects: Adds temporary midagation bonus against damage. Could trigger sound effect from effected units.

Why:
Because it'd be darn cool to trigger this skill and hear "ORC-ORC-ORC-ORC-OOORC! WAAAARG!" from your units as they rush towards the enemy walls. The battle frenzy has been a key part of orc mythology. The whole "Why... Won't... You... DIE!" mentality that orcs have under battle frenzy would be represented with this, along with the suicide charge and viscious slaughter that Orcs are famous for.

Name: Hold the line!
Race: Humans
Description/effect: Hero rallies surrounding troops to defend the area, causing units to gain a defencive bonus when planted.
Other Potential Effect: Could cause units to act as a human wall, with no enemies being able to get run through the effected units.

Why: Humans should have a nice defensive skill. In most mythology, the two races that can be counted on to "hold the line!" are Dwarves and Men. If a hero uses this skill, he'd cause the surrounding units to stay firm and use the Roman Legion approach-Nothing gets past our shield wall. This would be devasating in urban combat and can be used to maintain gained ground to buy time for strategic retreats or advances.

More to come! Suggest your own!

GPS51
04-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Very nice. I dunno if it's too late to get them into the game but now I'll have to think on some more ideas. I love stuff like this.

blackfang
04-11-2010, 02:26 PM
how about

name: Perfect volley/volley
Race: elves
description: It makes the archers around in quite an astonishing range (further away then they can normally shoot) firing of a volley killing everything in a small area with the surrounding archers help.

Why: it would be fun to watch them diver their archers to somthing else so i can send the cavalry to take care of them when they fire the volley at something else:D

Puppeteer
04-11-2010, 03:00 PM
how about

name: Perfect volley/volley
Race: elves
description: It makes the archers around in quite an astonishing range (further away then they can normally shoot) firing of a volley killing everything in a small area with the surrounding archers help.

Why: it would be fun to watch them diver their archers to somthing else so i can send the cavalry to take care of them when they fire the volley at something else:D

How would a hero be able to 'inspire' this, though?

Daermoth
04-11-2010, 03:37 PM
Perhaps he can inspire them to fire faster? You can fire arrows quite fast, it just takes quite a lot of strength to keep doing it constantly, that's something a leader could inspire? To temporarily forget your fatigue and fire off several volleys faster?

GPS51
04-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Or have him point out a target causing all nearby archers to increase accuracy.

Daermoth
04-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Well technically you can't make someone shoot more accurately by telling him, he could make them focus a target, but how's that different from us clicking once with a mouse?:P

GPS51
04-11-2010, 05:19 PM
Eh somethings like 50%+ accuracy due to the leader pointing out the target and the pride the elves take in the belief of the the leader in their ability. So they focus even more then normal for 30 seconds.

Negthareas
04-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Good ideas - I will think up a few in class tomorrow.

Puppeteer
04-12-2010, 03:55 AM
Or have him point out a target causing all nearby archers to increase accuracy.
Okay, this is the model I'm completely against for Heroes. It's fine if you want a spell caster with Air magic to do some hocus-pocus to increase range, but not for these Heroes - it needs to be plausible. The archer's range at the present is governed by the physical limitations of the bow, not his limited determination and vigour. Hence why would a hero increase range *and* accuracy like that, just by pointing?

welshie
04-12-2010, 04:47 AM
The proposed skills/auras seem to me like the formations in a way, just put in a more pleasing way. But in any way if you add these auras to heros and people put them in the first line you must have a heavy loss when u lose them because there on the front line like moral -75%. Otherwise everyone will do it to try and get th upper hand from the start, giving the moral decrease would mean that you should only really use him near troops to make these auras effective when all is almost lost and you need a miricle.

But as ive said they look more like what the formations are proposed to do.

Daermoth
04-12-2010, 04:59 AM
Well I guess the difference between this and the formations is that you can only have one hero, any army without a hero can be in formation and get the bonuses, but when you have an army in formations, and a hero giving bonuses, well it gives some incentive to take him along for the major assaults and sieges. Sort of like a double bonus for the same thing more or less, just gives him a more important role on the battlefield, and yeah, I agree that there should be a rather devastating side effect when you lose your hero.

Negthareas
04-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Yes - also consider that player who use the heor bonus right away would be wasting it when they might need it later.

I agree, hero loss should have devastating effect on moral.