PDA

View Full Version : [Split] Best RTS Games

Negthareas
04-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Total War is one of the few popular RTSs that I have not played, so, no opinion on it.

GPS51
04-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Hmm well you've missed out on a lot of good tactical gameplay. Have you played the age of empire games?

blackfang
04-07-2010, 02:26 PM
To be fair i would say real rts players gotta play wc3, starcraft, rome total war, Age of empires, warhammer 40 k DOW and finally empire earth... Without all of these then you are not a real rts player then you are just A rts player:rolleyes:

GPS51
04-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Yeah I'd throw Supreme commander into that mix of games as well and a game called Theatre of War.

nickson104
04-07-2010, 02:41 PM
To be fair i would say real rts players gotta play wc3, starcraft, rome total war, Age of empires, warhammer 40 k DOW and finally empire earth... Without all of these then you are not a real rts player then you are just A rts player:rolleyes:

played TW1/2, AoE1/2, 40k DoW, EE, as for the others no...

Add to that list LOTR:BFME even if they werent great, you still gotta give it a shot...

Also the Stronghold games are great :) Can glitch at times though (i had about 50 boatmen swim over and somehow walk through a wall and into my enemies tower and distract his forces while my assassins took out his lord... He wasnt too happy... :D

Age of Mythology is also worth a mention even if it uses the same engine as AoE2, it was still a great game :) even if tactics were minimal :p XD

DarkMaster
04-07-2010, 06:57 PM
May I add also Star Wars: Empire at War? The land battles and galactic map weren't fantastic, but the space battles were absolutely amazing.:D

nickson104
04-07-2010, 07:07 PM
May I add also Star Wars: Empire at War? The land battles and galactic map weren't fantastic, but the space battles were absolutely amazing.:D

I had that game for a week or so, my copy wasnt good and died early :( but as you said yeah the land battles were not great but the space battles were indeed pretty damn good :) They werent complicated but they were just fun :)

However im not too sure if that one deserves a slot on top RTS games... it usually boiled down to who had more/best units

Negthareas
04-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Hmm well you've missed out on a lot of good tactical gameplay. Have you played the age of empire games?

All of them - for years on end.

Negthareas
04-07-2010, 08:25 PM

I have played that a lot too, was good, but noticeably repetitive.

GPS51
04-07-2010, 08:43 PM
I played the demo but decided that it wasn't worth the price for a week or two of fun. I have to get at least 100 hours of fun out of my games or they aren't classified as fun :)

blackfang
04-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Yeah I'd throw Supreme commander into that mix of games as well and a game called Theatre of War.

Yes to the first one dunno about the second one

played TW1/2, AoE1/2, 40k DoW, EE, as for the others no...

Add to that list LOTR:BFME even if they werent great, you still gotta give it a shot...

Also the Stronghold games are great :) Can glitch at times though (i had about 50 boatmen swim over and somehow walk through a wall and into my enemies tower and distract his forces while my assassins took out his lord... He wasnt too happy... :D

Age of Mythology is also worth a mention even if it uses the same engine as AoE2, it was still a great game :) even if tactics were minimal :p XD

Bfme is awesome because it got climbable walls so it is a must to play it yes, stronghold is awesome and aom is great, (got it installed)

Empire at war is not really fun but it was... Not terrible but it is good that i have played it, think i still got it installed too with that expansion, never play it though

Negthareas
04-08-2010, 10:33 AM
I played the demo but decided that it wasn't worth the price for a week or two of fun. I have to get at least 100 hours of fun out of my games or they aren't classified as fun :)

I play my games to the ground - I think EaW had a lot to offer, but it was built too much on a rock-paper-sciccors aspect. That limited strategy a lot to a few simple, repetitive ones.

otomotopia
04-08-2010, 08:50 PM
To be fair i would say real rts players gotta play wc3, starcraft, any Total War game, any C&C RTS, Company of Heroes, Age of empires II, warhammer 40 k DOW, Europa Universalis or a non buggy version of Hearts of Iron, Empire earth... Without all of these then you are not a real rts player then you are just A rts player:rolleyes:

Edited to add C&C, EU, HoI, and CoH. Other games that are not needed but you SHOULD HAVE are The Guild 2, Stronghold II, SupCom1, LoTR:BFME I or II with addons, Theater of WarSins of a solar empire. But those ones in the quote MUST be played.

Edit: This thread has been drastically derailed, hasn't it?

GPS51
04-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Yes but it's been the most entertaining user thread for quite a while :D

blackfang
04-09-2010, 08:00 AM
Edited to add C&C, EU, HoI, and CoH. Other games that are not needed but you SHOULD HAVE are The Guild 2, Stronghold II, SupCom1, LoTR:BFME I or II with addons, Theater of WarSins of a solar empire. But those ones in the quote MUST be played.

Never thought about sins but it is awesome i know. Also never played the guild well gotta get it:D

Also we all love to say something random or faintly related yet still very related:D It goes in our blood with outbursts, look at the wow chat channel when they got anal spams just as an example:rolleyes:

nickson104
04-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Knights of Honour deserves a mention too i think, great game and the main functions and map was just great :) I would NOT be disappointed if DoF world map worked similar to that of KoH, however that would be rather silly to implement as the MMORTS mode will need to house masses and each player has only a city, not a region

GPS51
04-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Hmm KOH was one of the best 10$ purchases I've ever made. The way the game was put together showed real forethought and ability by the game designers. I think that's why I'm so excited for DoF because of the similarities.

Henry Martin
04-09-2010, 01:12 PM
Yes KOH was a great game. Majesty 1 & 2 are good RTSs. Its interesting as you don't control any of you units. Anyone how hasn't played it should.

Josh Warner
04-09-2010, 02:17 PM

I really enjoyed sins at first but the developers ignored multiplayer in favor of singleplayer and took far too long to release proper developer tools for custom content, the one they released first was little more than a terrain editor. I played it for several months, it never attracted a good multiplayer crowd. After a few months there were only a handful of the original players still around online. I don't ever recall there being more than 400 players on at one point and after a few months it rarely peaked at 100.

And the expansions split the playerbase, they didn't let you play with those that didn't have it. While I understand why they did that, I disagree with it on a fundamental level when there was already such a small amount of people. Giving them the content but not letting them use it without the expansion key would have been a better choice.

The singleplayer was fun for a few games for me. Didn't last long since the AI wasn't very good and the editing tools still weren't released. From what I understand though, most of the crowd for this game was attracted to singleplayer, so if that's what you like, you may enjoy it. SP Rtses I usually don't consider more than training ground/storyline, but in Sins the game really was catered to SP.

BFME 1 good, 2 ehhh.

Early C&C and red alert were good, the newer games I don't much care for. Better cutscenes/storyline than gameplay nowadays for these games. I consider RA 1-2 some of my favorite games of all time.

SupCom 1 pre expansion I truly enjoyed, 2 is a huge divergence from that enjoyable game sadly. The first expansion I just didn't like the way it changed the economy and the new race had not been properly balanced yet at all. But it did make the gameplay a lot smoother, far more optimized.

Stronghold were all around interesting games.

CoH set a lot of modern standards for the rts genre.

The most important thing to add... How hasn't Total Annihilation been mentioned yet?

blackfang
04-10-2010, 06:51 AM
sorry there are still a few games i have not tried:( but wc 3 starcraft and those games are a must but you don't need to play every game possible.:o

otomotopia
04-10-2010, 07:01 AM
The most important thing to add... How hasn't Total Annihilation been mentioned yet?

Because these people play SupCom instead ><. I LOVE Total Annihilation Spring, though. Hmm. I may have to grab that again.

Mikey
04-13-2010, 05:44 PM

is it good or bad that i still have total annihilation still installed? i love the sniper robots so much they make enemy commander go pop

Rubenrobbie2
04-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Total war is definitely a good game, I wanted Napoleon Total War, but instead, I got Medieval II. Try the demo, or buy the full game. Its really fun. :) (:

Negthareas
04-29-2010, 08:57 PM
"Totally" agree.

Aametherar
04-29-2010, 09:07 PM

I'd add Warlords Battlecry II to that list. Way before it's time for sure, innovative.

Yami-Yagari
04-30-2010, 03:31 AM

Played all of them, including SupCom, medieval 2 total war+expansion, Black&White 1&2, World in Conflict, Warhammer, mark of chaos+battlemarch, Rise&Fall(dunno if most people know this), almost all C&C games, BFME1+2+ROTWK( 2 was IMO better then 1, whatever most people say), Empire TW.

Btw have to ask this, but do you people think The Settlers series can be called RTS? Not all of them, but 1 till 4, because 5 sucks, 6 is oke, and 7 is meh.

blackfang
04-30-2010, 01:00 PM
settlers 7 was okey except that my copy had a bugged campaign so i could not advance from some point:( too bad really:mad:

Aametherar
04-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Settlers can be considered an RTS (I dunno if 7 is the same as the others). It is real time, yes its sluggish and terrible, especially since it gives you so little personal control over units (like Majesty) but at the end of the day real time is real time. I don't know how such a dreadful series got so popular in Europe but I simply loathe the game.

DarkMaster
04-30-2010, 09:24 PM
I dunno, I thought that Settlers 3 was great! Sadly, it doesn't want to install on my current machine (anyone know a fix for this?). :( *sobs*. One thing I hated was the terrible tutorial, though. It didn't explain half the game.

Henry Martin
04-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Total war is definitely a good game, I wanted Napoleon Total War, but instead, I got Medieval II. Try the demo, or buy the full game. Its really fun. :) (:

I got both. Napoleon Total War is great. If you played Empire Total War then you basically played Napoleon. In Napoleon you can't play as many nations as in the other total wars.

@Yami-Yagari

Yes, I would consider it an RTS. Even thought they simplified the combat to nothing:mad:.

wills370
05-01-2010, 05:48 AM
I think SHOGUN total war was revolutionary. As i recall when it came out it wasent that well marketed. And became alittle bit of a niche game but still built a stable platform to which many total wars have followed. I would love them to revisit it and redo it in a modern way although for the time. The gameplay and graphics were awsome and really brung huge numbers into maps in a mainstream way. So id say although it was not the most polished of games (the glitch in the castle was always a pain lol). It was the idea that i would put it in one of the best RTS

blackfang
05-01-2010, 08:57 AM
shogun total war was a bit fun yes, however i only tried it like a year ago and then i thought that the graphics were horrible so i just played through it and smiled to myself as i deleted it. but i guess when it came out that it may have been quite a good game, i mean i got a game that is terrible now but it was great back then. I remember back when i was little and red alert came out. I was so thrilled that i got it on our family computer and everyday after kindergarten i would call my dad and ask if it was okay to play it. And i usually got permission, so basically i grew up with strategy, first it was ra then ra 2 and then wc 3. Thats my main games, the ones i played the most. So my upbringing was all around computer games and actually horror movies. I mean i watched stuff like starship troopers and the alien films:) The only thing i was forbidden to watch or play was stuff that involved... "adult content" if you know what i mean. Uff now i am trailing far off, anyways the games i played back then may suck now but they were really good:D

Josh Warner
05-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Played all of them, including SupCom, medieval 2 total war+expansion, Black&White 1&2, World in Conflict, Warhammer, mark of chaos+battlemarch, Rise&Fall(dunno if most people know this), almost all C&C games, BFME1+2+ROTWK( 2 was IMO better then 1, whatever most people say), Empire TW.

Btw have to ask this, but do you people think The Settlers series can be called RTS? Not all of them, but 1 till 4, because 5 sucks, 6 is oke, and 7 is meh.

2-4 are considered the high period of Settlers by most fans. 5-6 are not really the same game, and 7 is still a large divergence. I tried the demo but didn't care for the victory point system, the total lack of fog of war, and the change to the carrying/storage/population system, the fixed sectors and corresponding resources. While 7 isn't a bad game, I much prefer 2, 3 and 4.

It just doesn't feel like settlers anymore :( Where's the pioneer wars, where's the finding resources and hearing YIPEE! Overall the victory point system changes the flow and pace of the game, trying to turn it into a fast paced RTS rather than keeping it's economic/supply chain focus, right now it's mostly he who has the best rush strategy that maximizes the starting resources rather than the best economy that wins, which is a shame.

Combat was never meant to be micro/fluid. In a normal RTS, how you control your units and which units you build decides the victor usually, with some level of macroing for resources. In the settlers, it was the opposite. Almost purely how you managed and set up your economy decided who wins, the units were merely a manifestation of that economy to provide a more visceral clash.

Yami-Yagari
05-01-2010, 03:15 PM
Yeah, 2-4 are still the best settlers games to date.
Just to bad the people at Ubisoft don't get it yet after 3 settlers games with 3 different ways of gameplay, that they should keep the series retro.