PDA

View Full Version : early warning/lookouts

sumo0
04-07-2010, 08:07 AM
hello, my question is: will there be any early warning systems like lookout towers on my land or scout or something like that to let me know about impending attacks?
also lets say i want to attack someone, will i then gather my army and set it to walk or sail to a location on the map or will it be instanced so that i choose whom to attack and then instance there?

GPS51
04-07-2010, 10:32 AM
Hmm for quests you actually have to walk across the world map. I believe the same is true for attacking someone. Also you will be able to be attacked along your route so pick a route without any would be emperors on it.

Negthareas
04-07-2010, 11:06 AM
I get the idea though - maybe it could be something researched or upgraded, like the beacon tower in Evony, still, I though the beacon Tower thing was much too obvious. Possibly, you could get warning of an incoming attack, but no info on it. Perhaps you could have the chance to send "scouts" or something to figure out the incoming army. That sounds more realistic.

blackfang
04-07-2010, 02:28 PM
I get the idea though - maybe it could be something researched or upgraded, like the beacon tower in Evony, still, I though the beacon Tower thing was much too obvious. Possibly, you could get warning of an incoming attack, but no info on it. Perhaps you could have the chance to send "scouts" or something to figure out the incoming army. That sounds more realistic.

Or carpet smoking people like the indians:D They are like the Morse code an eksample ... . . ... . No idea what it would mean but you can make entire messages with it:D Thus you can find out the enemies with just a bunch of weed smokers with a carpet and a campfire... I bet that they got those guys hidden all over:rolleyes:

irascor
12-04-2010, 03:23 PM
i would think that the fact of early warning systems would be a little bit of a spoil to the games atmospere

rtejada
12-04-2010, 03:27 PM
i think there should be several ways to know of incoming attacks witht hier own disadvantages... like a tower can see far and notify of an attack but wont be able to tell troop count right away. But sending scouts can but risk the chance of getting killed etc. Having different options available is always a plus in RTS :).

hogtalare5
12-04-2010, 03:30 PM
I think its kind of a must to have spoters around your city or else you would be surprise attacked all the time with now way to muster the defence and get your troops home. and your allies should also give you information of enemy movement, its kind of the reason for a alliance.

GPS51
12-04-2010, 03:32 PM
I think that you'll be able to see armies headed across the map without any aids. However you may be able to mouse over them to see if they're headed to your city or they may be different colored to distinguish enemies.

Chojin
12-04-2010, 03:57 PM
And when we are offline ? How can you be notified you are attacked ?

GPS51
12-04-2010, 04:01 PM
You will not be able to be attacked when you are offline.

gatorback05
12-04-2010, 04:28 PM
is there a multiplayer that you can play in this game with just your friends or is it strictly online with everyone?

Karamelgemini90
12-04-2010, 05:12 PM

I like this. Great mmo aspect!

Daft
12-04-2010, 05:37 PM
I suppose you could send a few mounted troops to patrol around your outer regions if you wanted to. Some kind of buildable lookout post would be great, too.

LiTos456
12-04-2010, 06:27 PM
is there a multiplayer that you can play in this game with just your friends or is it strictly online with everyone?

There's skirmish mode I believe? I'm not 100% sure actually, my memory is faint with this one. But I'm pretty sure there's one.

illicit87
12-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Being Orc... let them take my tents and buildings.... that just means there is less of them at their castle....easy pickins.

Lord_Itzalak
12-04-2010, 11:32 PM
Being Orc... let them take my tents and buildings.... that just means there is less of them at their castle....easy pickins.

Thinkin like an orc. I like it.

Anyway, I don't think the beacon tower in Evony is very fluffy. Scouts on the other hand would...I could see it going either way, having early warning or not, but I think it needs to fit the setting if it is present (which DOF seems to always be mindful of). But I also agree it'd probably be good to have the uncertainty of numbers or possibility of scout loss too...

ZuluDawn
12-04-2010, 11:45 PM
Thats good, last thing i want is to login and find my kingdom on fire!

Gwydion
12-04-2010, 11:50 PM
some sort of advanced warning system would be nice though

ryuujin
12-05-2010, 05:17 AM
You will not be able to be attacked when you are offline.

lets say you do have a warning system to tell you that someone is heading
to you and will attack. . can you go offline to prevent it? :confused:

bamato
12-05-2010, 05:27 AM
lets say you do have a warning system to tell you that someone is heading
to you and will attack. . can you go offline to prevent it? :confused:
of course not, that would be a massive abused cheat.

-Sigma-
12-05-2010, 10:13 PM
I would love to anticipate my enemies as they come to attack my Stronghold.

For example in a forest environment have everyone waiting in a ambush formation waiting for crush the army as it approaches my homeland. ;)

Radman
12-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Having a warning system would be good but if you had say a scout who saw an approaching enemy which immediately notified you and then u could get your army ready to ambush would be too much of an advantage i think it would be better to like have to have the scout auto run once sighting an enemy to the nearest base at which time it will then pop up you have an approaching enemy its more realistic and reduces the advantages of a warning system making it more balanced especially as by the time the scout arrives at the base the enemy will have changed position making it harder to ambush them.

Vind
12-06-2010, 05:46 AM
Lets say scouts have some kind of stealth skill the higher the skill the harder for enemy scouts to detect it.
Lets say i wanna attack some city i send my scouts ahead to take care of enemy scouts so they don't receive a warning on time. Then i attack with main force.
Also having a elven mage in scout team could mean you can send message immediately when spotting an enemy force instead of having your scouts ride back.
There is plenty of options available.
IMO it is interesting if you have a counter option for any decision being made.

The idea with the tower is also cool unless enemy sends scouts/assassins to it which you don't detect and wipes your force. Enemy towers are visible from long range.

rtejada
12-06-2010, 05:43 PM
is there like an invulnerability timer when you first log in? how long before someone can attack you? would be nice to get early warning.. would also be nice if someone can surprise attack someone while they are trying to sim city lol.