PDA

View Full Version : Stopping the spam

Joseph Visscher
10-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Ryan I think you should add a min word count of 10 to replys, so they have to have atleast 10 words in a post or reply, this will stop a lot of the forum spam, like 80% of posts here are only 3 words...

Guys please just limit spam and keep on topic. Thanks

iceblast
10-12-2007, 02:04 PM
i agree spam is foul and nasty and not needed

Kostia Kaploon
10-12-2007, 02:22 PM
yes (now i have to write 10 useless and pointless words) :D

Puppeteer
10-12-2007, 04:51 PM
I agreee (have to add something else to add something to post) :D

ShadowyMoon
10-12-2007, 06:56 PM
I doubt it will limit the spam much but it's worth a shot.

Kostia Kaploon
10-13-2007, 04:16 AM
Ryan I think you should add a min word count of 10 to replys, so they have to have atleast 10 words in a post or reply, this will stop a lot of the forum spam, like 80% of posts here are only 3 words...

Guys please just limit spam and keep on topic. Thanks

It will be hard at first but I think the solution is to delete every off-topic or spam replay from now on. I were on lots of forums that applied that and after 2-3 off-topic replays you understand that and stop replaying off-topic.

(of course the off-topic forum shouldn't be touched.)

olauwers
10-13-2007, 06:46 AM
People should just be polite enough to not spam... Oh well, that'll probably never happen, since you always have nincompoops.

The Witch King of Angmar
10-13-2007, 08:41 AM
I agree completly. People should stay on topic. If they want to spam they should do IM instead or go put it in the Off Topic section.

Darvin
10-13-2007, 12:04 PM
I do find the small and pointless posts interfere more with discussions than they help. Unfortunately, I don't see an easy solution. A ten word minimum will just make them say MORE mindless drivel, which won't help.

One of the most effective - if blunt and unpopular - techniques for reducing such spam is to remove the post count. A lot of people feel the need to post to get more posts. If that need is removed, they will post because they want to. At least then the people who are spamming are doing so because they actually want to be involved in these conversations, not because they want a higher post count. However, it wasn't popular on any other forum, so I suspect this method wouldn't be popular here, either.

Joseph Visscher
10-13-2007, 03:36 PM
I do find the small and pointless posts interfere more with discussions than they help. Unfortunately, I don't see an easy solution. A ten word minimum will just make them say MORE mindless drivel, which won't help.

One of the most effective - if blunt and unpopular - techniques for reducing such spam is to remove the post count. A lot of people feel the need to post to get more posts. If that need is removed, they will post because they want to. At least then the people who are spamming are doing so because they actually want to be involved in these conversations, not because they want a higher post count. However, it wasn't popular on any other forum, so I suspect this method wouldn't be popular here, either.

Agreed and i think your onto somthing, maybe we can add something like, if you post is deleted because of spam the spammer's posts go down 5 posts?

Kostia Kaploon
10-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Agreed and i think your onto somthing, maybe we can add something like, if you post is deleted because of spam the spammer's posts go down 5 posts?

even better you can make a little formula where the first time you go down 1 post, then 5 posts, then 25 etc. untill come to zero. That will make it more painfull to make more spam posts. But the main idea is great i think.

Kost.

The Witch King of Angmar
10-13-2007, 06:52 PM
even better you can make a little formula where the first time you go down 1 post, then 5 posts, then 25 etc. untill come to zero. That will make it more painfull to make more spam posts. But the main idea is great i think.

Kost.

If you really look at when you give intelligent and thought out posts how they really add to the forums well as open up new ideas and makes the forums alot more enjoyable. For me, post counts are just a bonus.

Andreas Hollandt
10-14-2007, 05:58 AM
It will be hard at first but I think the solution is to delete every off-topic or spam replay from now on. I were on lots of forums that applied that and after 2-3 off-topic replays you understand that and stop replaying off-topic.
Of course this helps, but noone wants to spend his time with deleting spam posts in the forums. We got more important things to do.

Thanks Darvin. Your posts are always profound and to the point.
Yes, a word limit doesn't change anything. I think it'd even cause spam.
Removing the post count is the best idea I read so far here. You can see how "far" you've come by your user title, showing the post count only induces topics like "who has the highest post count".

Whatever we do, we need the help of the community. If someone spams, remind him of the fact that this is deprecated. If he doesn't stop it, report the post(that small exclamation mark) and we will take further actions.

ShadowyMoon
10-14-2007, 01:12 PM
I think you guys need moderators to help you.

Ryan Zelazny
10-14-2007, 03:08 PM
I do delete spam posts when they are completely pointless and such. I try and let you guys have some freedom in that regard, we don't want to discourage people from posting here.

We also are using an infraction system which will remove post count from people and infractions are also displayed on your public profile. You can actually mark posts so that when staff members login, they can be viewed and taken care of quickly if you think they are unappropriate. You can do this by clicking the report post icon, http://reverieworld.com/forums/images/dof/buttons/report.gif

ShadowyMoon
10-14-2007, 05:04 PM
I always wandered what's that for... Thanks for clearing things up Ryan.

Solomai
10-28-2007, 11:53 PM
I have seen on other forums a solution that actually labels the poster as "spammer" instead of the title they would have displayed for the number of posts they have made. Perhaps you could look at a similar solution?

unfortunately that approach would require forum moderators and is a little subjective, but post like "I agree" and "yep" are obviously an attempt to increase the users post count

as you can probably see by my post count, I'm not in the habit of making inane posts. I only post when I have something to add to the discussion or to pose a question.... *dons asbestos armor* flame away kiddies

Puppeteer
10-29-2007, 02:16 PM
"I agree"

hehe, anyway I think that offtopic posts which are inane and have no real meaning should be deleted, but I say let people have Freedom, to a limit. Is that a dichotomy? Too much freedom needs restriction...

The Witch King of Angmar
10-29-2007, 02:38 PM
Maybe some of like the 3 month old topics that aren't active could just be deleted but your post count would stay the same.

SPARROW94
10-30-2007, 05:54 PM
why do i see so much anti-spam.....i pity you

Ndition
11-06-2007, 04:04 PM
If you got a label "spammer" I would go and spam right away :p

SPARROW94
11-06-2007, 04:07 PM
so u saying im a spammer because i got 1 infraction for isulting an member and spamming

iceblast
11-07-2007, 12:01 PM
well if you spam so much you should be banned?

Ovocean
04-19-2008, 03:36 AM
Removing the post count is the best idea I read so far here. You can see how "far" you've come by your user title, showing the post count only induces topics like "who has the highest post count".
I think that, as Dawn of Fantasy will go increasingly in popularity, you won't want to encourage people to post messages anymore, cause you'll have too much to read and will miss or won't be able to answer to all the interesting questions and suggestions.

I've never felt that either the post count or the title had a positive effect all in all.
Particularly, I don't like the hierarchic titles; there's no direct relation between the number of posts and the merit of the person. It only gives more merit to spammers and flooders.

In my opinion, there should be no such titles, and the post count should not show up on each post but should be hidden in the profile page, so that one can still know a bit better who he's speaking to, but it won't be as much a factor of pointless pride.

PS: To say the truth, I'm subject to such pride, but it's so stupid. :o

Neotyguy40
04-19-2008, 12:32 PM
I agree, even if most of my posts have been less then 10 words.

Ovocean
04-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Who will stop the FLOOD?

Today, a group of teenagers invaded Dawn of Fantasy's official forums and literally inundated it with one-line messages. The population is worried about the quality of its navigation through the forums, but we still haven't heard from the authorities. We will keep you informed of any progress on the situation, so stay with us!

The Witch King of Angmar
04-19-2008, 08:12 PM
Man, how I'd love to be a moderator right now.

Puppeteer
04-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Amen to that Brother!
Spam was the most prominent feature, till I saw this subforum. About 15 hot topics :eek:

The Witch King of Angmar
04-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Unfortunatly that's the case. The only way I can think to stop spam is to either ban about 10 people or just threaten them. :p

Neotyguy40
04-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Unfortunatly that's the case. The only way I can think to stop spam is to either ban about 10 people or just threaten them. :p

I don't think that just threatening them would do much, and banning 10 people is like taking a chunk of soon to be beta testers out... And look on the bright side of flooding... My rank is now leviathan :D

Ovocean
04-25-2008, 05:25 AM
So, I have a problem:
When I open the "New Posts" window, I get a list with 20 threads containing new posts by Neotyguy. The previous day it was the same thing with DragonSlayer, etc. Well, I surely won't read all of them, or most of them, or even more than one or two of them, I'm bored from the start. But there are probably a few new posts from Reverie hidden in those 20+ threads with new posts, and I'm eager to read them (because that's the reason of my presence here: Discovering new things about the game, bringing my suggestions and discussing others'), how can I find them without having to scroll through dozens of messages?

Puppeteer
04-25-2008, 01:33 PM
I use the "Find Earliest Unread Post" feature besides topics. Sure, there's a lot of filtering to do but that's to be expected.

Ovocean
04-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Ah thank you, nice find!

Neotyguy40
04-25-2008, 04:07 PM
Ah thank you, nice find!

Where is it?

LordSlayer
04-25-2008, 04:11 PM
So, I have a problem:
When I open the "New Posts" window, I get a list with 20 threads containing new posts by Neotyguy. The previous day it was the same thing with DragonSlayer, etc. Well, I surely won't read all of them, or most of them, or even more than one or two of them, I'm bored from the start. But there are probably a few new posts from Reverie hidden in those 20+ threads with new posts, and I'm eager to read them (because that's the reason of my presence here: Discovering new things about the game, bringing my suggestions and discussing others'), how can I find them without having to scroll through dozens of messages?

Absolutly no new reverie message in the last week and a half.

Neotyguy40
04-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Absolutly no new reverie message in the last week and a half.

I bet we will hear from them soon...

Puppeteer
04-25-2008, 04:15 PM
The buttons is the little yellow tick box by the title, which should be bold.

Neotyguy40
04-25-2008, 04:30 PM
The buttons is the little yellow tick box by the title, which should be bold.

Yea, I didn't notice that b4...

Diggz
05-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Heretics! These Are All More Than 10 Words!!!

SPARROW94
05-15-2008, 11:09 PM
I REALY REALY realy WOVE THESE ANTI SPAM THREADS...I FEEL AS IF....im hated

Meh 4 evar
05-11-2009, 07:36 AM
I'm thinking that every member of the forums should be able to either thumb up/thump down posts, lets say if a post gets 10 thumps down, you can't see the post anymore. That should help against spamming, hopefully XD.

Puppeteer
05-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Nah. You're 360(-ish) days later than the last post; since then, three moderators have been appointed. And Joe created the banhammer.

LiTos456
05-11-2009, 02:17 PM
We barely spam here. I dont think this is a problem.

Joseph Visscher
05-13-2009, 01:30 PM
This is a very old post lol, now with our moderators, yea spamming will only leave a bitter feeling in your mouth after being put into timeout time on our forums. :)

-Thread Closed