PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for Map Transfer System for custom maps

Joseph Visscher
05-15-2007, 05:28 PM
Suggestion for Map Transfer System for custom maps

Hello, I would like to suggest a way to transfer custom maps over the online part of DOF, that people will make after the game is released. For most RTS games the custom map is transferred just before the loading screen.
I believe the map should be transferred inside the game room where the players choose their side, color, team, etc.
This system is used by the game: Age of Mythology, I believe DOF choose use this and improve it. Allow the players to talk during the transfer; allow the host to be able to kick people if the transfer is taking to slow; allow the host to transfer to certain people when ever he wishes; the joiners have to accept and or request the transfer; This will also allow players to get the transfer individually between the host, and or just join a game to get a really cool map and host your own game.

I believe this system is way better then the current RTS games such as bfme2 and cnc3, where everyone’s transfer is at 99% and the transfer times out after the 2 minutes...:rolleyes:

Darvin
05-15-2007, 08:24 PM
Definitely starting download after the game launches is the wrong way to do it.

There actually isn't a good reason for restricting downloads from the host, either. Why not allow others who joined the game who already have the map to send it to others who don't?

Joseph Visscher
05-15-2007, 09:24 PM
There actually isn't a good reason for restricting downloads from the host, either. Why not allow others who joined the game who already have the map to send it to others who don't?

Awsome idea! totally agree.

SPARROW94
05-28-2007, 03:52 PM
please correct me if im wrong,

so you upload any map by yourself and if people dont have it they get kicked,

what i like better is that make use of the world wide map in pics and you can choose of aa wide range of battle fiealds

Joseph Visscher
06-06-2007, 11:10 AM
please correct me if im wrong,

so you upload any map by yourself and if people dont have it they get kicked,

what i like better is that make use of the world wide map in pics and you can choose of aa wide range of battle fiealds

no you got it wrong, when people come into your game room where your waiting for players to begin the game, you have will a custom map up, you trasfer give the players that dont have the map inside the gameroom rather before the game. if the trasfer is to lagy and slow to one player you still have an option to kick that slow connection players and wait for a new player.

SPARROW94
06-06-2007, 02:37 PM
oh ok thanks

antpocas
06-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Honestly, I would do something based on the BitTorrent protocol to distribute the maps.

Darvin
06-19-2007, 09:47 PM
My experience with bittorrent is that it's WAY too slow when there are fewer than half a dozen other people, and that describes too many map transfer situations. Of course, I know nothing of the technical side of that. Certainly it merits a fair evaluation, as in any lobby there is at least one seed and several other potential peers.

The Witch King of Angmar
06-20-2007, 08:04 AM
Suggestion for Map Transfer System for custom maps Allow the players to talk during the transfer; allow the host to be able to kick people if the transfer is taking to slow; allow the host to transfer to certain people when ever he wishes; the joiners have to accept and or request the transfer; This will also allow players to get the transfer individually between the host, and or just join a game to get a really cool map and host your own game.

I like the idea of letting players go in a game for the map only.

Konstantin Fomenko
06-20-2007, 08:59 AM
Actually, I don`t think there is need for anything tricky, other than peer-to-server, server-to-peer. Most maps will be 200k in size max, not a big deal even on a dial-up. And we plan do upload maps before the game starts - inside the lobby.

antpocas
06-22-2007, 02:26 PM
My experience with bittorrent is that it's WAY too slow when there are fewer than half a dozen other people, and that describes too many map transfer situations. Of course, I know nothing of the technical side of that. Certainly it merits a fair evaluation, as in any lobby there is at least one seed and several other potential peers.
The thing is, BitTorrent with fewer than half a dozen uploaders is still faster than just one uploader. BitTorrent is the ideal distribution system for this situation, especially if you use super-seeding (the seed will only upload pieces no other peers have) when there is only one complete seed.

SPARROW94
07-07-2007, 01:41 PM
ohh ok now that i read corretley this idea is even better then the master thread it self ;)...i totaly love this idea lol i was so far off when i first read it

ShadowyMoon
10-02-2007, 06:37 PM
An improved system of how Battle.net handles maps would suffice too.

SPARROW94
10-02-2007, 06:40 PM
will reviere online be like bungie.net where to just type in some ones name and there history and every thing pops up

Ryan Zelazny
10-02-2007, 06:53 PM
will reviere online be like bungie.net where to just type in some ones name and there history and every thing pops up

Yes, you will be able to display your stats on Reverie Online.

SPARROW94
10-02-2007, 06:56 PM
wicked asweome dude

Puppeteer
10-03-2007, 12:23 PM
On bfme2 every other online game there was always one person who had an awful connection, so the transfer never succeeded and you had to restart everything :(

SPARROW94
10-03-2007, 12:55 PM
lol my linkys ruiters blows so yeah i have to kick off my sis and lil bro to have an perfect connection

The Witch King of Angmar
10-03-2007, 02:53 PM
lol my linkys ruiters blows so yeah i have to kick off my sis and lil bro to have an perfect connection

That is why Linksys stinks. Awful quality overall as a company as well as its products.

ShadowyMoon
10-03-2007, 03:23 PM
I really am glad I've never had to use a router...

SPARROW94
10-03-2007, 05:24 PM
im thinking of buying netgear any thing wrong with that?

The Witch King of Angmar
10-03-2007, 05:26 PM
im thinking of buying netgear any thing wrong with that?

If I were you I'd get a different router ASAP.

SPARROW94
10-03-2007, 06:21 PM
but is netgear any good

Puppeteer
10-04-2007, 11:41 AM
I have a linkys :(

Ryan Zelazny
10-04-2007, 02:00 PM
but is netgear any good

Netgear is decent for the price, Linksys is better, but more expensive.

If your not technologically inclined, I would reccomend NOT getting a Netgear, I had one and when I called their tech-support they are in India and the guy could hardly speak english.

Ryan Zelazny
10-04-2007, 02:00 PM
but is netgear any good

Netgear is decent for the price, Linksys is better, but more expensive.

If your not technologically inclined, I would reccomend NOT getting a Netgear, I had one and when I called their tech-support they are in India and the guy could hardly speak english.

SPARROW94
10-04-2007, 02:13 PM
OoooO ryan got an double post...

lol anyways whats the best ruiter you ever had ryan?

ShadowyMoon
10-04-2007, 02:19 PM
I believe he said that's the Microsoft router.

SPARROW94
10-04-2007, 02:28 PM
oOOo il better try to find one those then the next time i visit staples, eb games, walmart, zellers, the source, radio shack

Kostia Kaploon
10-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Way too much spam...

Back to topic - i fully aprove transfer the data in a "waiting room" vs. in the load screen. go on with that one.

ShadowyMoon
10-05-2007, 11:36 AM
I agree with kostiak. Almost all RTS games handle map transfers that way and it is very efficent most of the time.

The Witch King of Angmar
10-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Sometimes though, the connections are less efficient because of peoples bad connections.

Kostia Kaploon
10-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Sometimes though, the connections are less efficient because of peoples bad connections.

Thats why "waiting room" is good - if only one player has connection problems the host can kick him after some time instead of automaticly retrying to download 5 times..

kost.

The Witch King of Angmar
10-05-2007, 05:56 PM
Thats why "waiting room" is good - if only one player has connection problems the host can kick him after some time instead of automaticly retrying to download 5 times..

kost.

Yeah but at times you get another player with a bad connection that comes in and makes more of a problem. I think you should be able to choose the speed at which you want the game to go so things would run better.

Kostia Kaploon
10-05-2007, 06:06 PM
Yeah but at times you get another player with a bad connection that comes in and makes more of a problem. I think you should be able to choose the speed at which you want the game to go so things would run better.

i can't understand you.. what adventage does download in loading screen has in this scenerio over "waiting room"?

The Witch King of Angmar
10-05-2007, 06:12 PM
i can't understand you.. what adventage does download in loading screen has in this scenerio over "waiting room"?

I like the download while the game loads because they get done at the same time. I think a waiting room at times is a waste.

Kostia Kaploon
10-05-2007, 06:17 PM
I like the download while the game loads because they get done at the same time. I think a waiting room at times is a waste.

the purpose of the waiting room is like a gaming lobby.. but the game loads while you can chat and stuff.. if it downloads in load screen if one fails all get time outs..

SPARROW94
10-05-2007, 08:28 PM
WHAT :O some dosnt like the game lobby

Puppeteer
10-06-2007, 12:47 PM
On bfme a special screen appeared for trasnferring maps. If one failed, most of the time, all failed.

Kostia Kaploon
10-06-2007, 01:08 PM
On bfme a special screen appeared for trasnferring maps. If one failed, most of the time, all failed.

thats my point exactly - with the "waiting room" if one fails he is simply kicked by the host and not all of the players disconnected.

DaFatalGigabyte
11-20-2007, 04:53 AM
With a loading screen you'd have to check with a timeout, and by then you can't get any more players for the map. The lobby allows you to see how good the connection is while allowing more players to come in if someone is booted for having a bad connection. You should also be able to see each player's ping.

I personally like the P2P idea. I always get any chance I can at recommending BitTorrent. With this system the host need only send a torrent file. Reverie could keep a tracker, or at least a website where anyone can get the links to torrent files for maps. When someone is in a game, it stops uploading. And they could always be allowed to select manually to not upload. And hosts(and clients) can choose to just directly send/receive the map if they don't like P2P.

It'd be neat to see distributed networking in-game as well if you guys can make a good P2P system.

SPARROW94
11-20-2007, 01:02 PM
umm welcom to the forums!

Puppeteer
11-21-2007, 11:01 AM
Welcome and nice idea :)

LordSlayer
04-19-2008, 02:39 PM
I have to admit I had never taugh of using BitTorrent for Dof map-sharing, but it sounds like a great idea. :)