PDA

View Full Version : Music system

blackfang
02-22-2010, 12:58 PM
If possible and if you feel like its a good idea, make the game so that players can also have their own songs in the background so that we can listen to what we want (a play-list in game for village/battle/quests) It would be awesome listening to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m50p-XScreM while burning down a town!

szebus
02-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Wow, this is a great idea, I remember older games had an option like this using the cd-rom as a player...

Puppeteer
02-22-2010, 01:09 PM
I was sure that you'd link Burn it to the Ground by Nickelback there.
I wonder if this would integrate well - I'd certainly enjoy this feature!
Anyway, slightly redundant, I'd prefer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9502OhMe7Q.

blackfang
02-22-2010, 01:28 PM
my favorite nickleback song is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kM2YRdw0Fw its currently my favorite song, but burn it to the ground sounds good too:D

welshie
02-22-2010, 02:25 PM
tbh, if u wanted to play your own music while playing wouldnt turning of game music and putting on your own media player on over it be an easier solution rather than having the devs make a complicated solution (compaired to the other)

nickson104
02-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Anyway, slightly redundant, I'd prefer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9502OhMe7Q.

Hehe it would be a cool feature...

Puppy... a million thanks to you!!! An Apocalyptica song i have not encountered as of yet and its epic!!!! I love Apocalyptica!!
Much of what they do could be integrated to games well too i think :) (it may be the lack of vocals, but mostly the style i think)

HolyPollo
02-22-2010, 04:48 PM
I was sure that you'd link Burn it to the Ground by Nickelback there.

Sorry Puppeteer but in case you haven't heard, a pickle is more popular than Nickelback. :p

Having some Emerald Sword by Rhapsody would be pretty epic however. Great suggestion!

Puppeteer
02-22-2010, 04:59 PM
nickson, I have all of their albums <3
HolyPollo, they are very popular... that's why they're considered more mainstream. In any case, I wasn't endorsing them, only referring to blackfang's choice of words.
welshie the problem is that their you would be running another programme, taking up more system resources - WMP caused major lag on my newer games (when I played them), and always lagged online.

Josh Warner
02-22-2010, 05:27 PM
nickson, I have all of their albums <3
HolyPollo, they are very popular... that's why they're considered more mainstream. In any case, I wasn't endorsing them, only referring to blackfang's choice of words.
welshie the problem is that their you would be running another programme, taking up more system resources - WMP caused major lag on my newer games (when I played them), and always lagged online.

That probably has more to do with that iteration of WMP being terrible. I run WMP in the background and don't get framerate lag with DoF or any other games come to think of it, I know there were some conflicting software issues with some games but in general I'm pretty sure it's not just how much resources WMP takes up.

Or you could just use a greasemonkey script to loop playlists/single songs from say, youtube. Edit: This is what I've started doing almost exclusively, it's easier and cheaper.

Darathor
02-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Having some Emerald Sword by Rhapsody would be pretty epic however. Great suggestion!

I was hoping someone would say this. :D

Konstantin Fomenko
02-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Yeah - background applications be it winamp or itunes don`t slow down the game. I got a feeling most of our staff prefers to run some custom music in the background - after all thousands of hours with the vanila game music gets old...
So one option for you guys would be to turn the game music off and run your own stuff in the background.

But here`s a better idea. Most likely we`ll leave DoF music folder as easy to mod as it is right now. You just dump your .mp3s into Dawn of Fantasy/Music/ folder. Some for the battle tracks, and some for the peace tracks. Atm we have to rename all the music files to Combat-002.mp3 or Peace-011.mp3 e.t.c, but thanks to your feedback we`ll try to include a feature to save you this step. Just add your .mp3s to Peace or Combat folder - and that`s it.

DarkMaster
02-22-2010, 08:29 PM
I know I'm gonna put some epic LotR music in there:p . I'm a big fan of Howard Shore's work. Of course, John Williams is in a league of his own:D

Anyways, nice to hear this game is so easily moddable. I remember in AoK you had to set triggers in a custom scenario to have your own music:mad:

Konstantin Fomenko
02-22-2010, 08:38 PM
I know I'm gonna put some epic LotR music in there . I'm a big fan of Howard Shore's work.
I been trough that stage, unfortunately after playing the game for few hundred of hours with it - it got old, I wish he had more stuff out.

blackfang
02-23-2010, 01:03 AM
Yay easy to put in my "kingdom come":p :D

Puppeteer
02-23-2010, 11:06 AM
But here`s a better idea. Most likely we`ll leave DoF music folder as easy to mod as it is right now. You just dump your .mp3s into Dawn of Fantasy/Music/ folder. Some for the battle tracks, and some for the peace tracks. Atm we have to rename all the music files to Combat-002.mp3 or Peace-011.mp3 e.t.c, but thanks to your feedback we`ll try to include a feature to save you this step. Just add your .mp3s to Peace or Combat folder - and that`s it.
Jolly good!

nickson104
02-24-2010, 07:45 AM
Atm we have to rename all the music files to Combat-002.mp3 or Peace-011.mp3 e.t.c, but thanks to your feedback we`ll try to include a feature to save you this step. Just add your .mp3s to Peace or Combat folder - and that`s it.

Sounds great, would there be any limit to how many mp3s we could place in those folders or such? Either way, it sounds pretty epic! But I think I would have to choose carefully, whilst heavy songs can be cool while fighting in some games, I really dont think it will lend itself well to fantasy, songs without lyrics also are more suiting I think, I shall have to investigate

Either way, Thank you Reverie! For making the game as great as you possibly can!

Darathor
02-24-2010, 01:39 PM

That sounds very nice!