PDA

View Full Version : How many actual MMORTS games have you played?

Vimes
02-20-2010, 04:29 AM
Just curious how many actual MMORTS games the community has played here, as I am seeing a lot of RTS fans who talk about MMORTS like DoF is inventing it for the first time. My worry being the chance of a decent % of RTS players cutting it in a persistent world is low imo - seen many top RTS players cave quickly in many games. You have your diehards for DoF and you must pull in some hard core MMORTS players - just wondering how many realise the impact on their gaming life and real life that a MMORTS will make. Its usually not pretty lol.

Supreme
02-20-2010, 04:44 AM
Well...would you call games like Travian (Tribalwars etc.) an MMORTS?

Vimes
02-20-2010, 06:16 AM
Id rather not - not many browser games have true Real time imo. And many are just clones with a theme change. Tricky but lets say directly comparible to DoF. So client run, non autoAI combat, persistent over months at least. I know ive just reduced the pool to choose from but goto my site - check the list. I have a few browser based games but ya gotta sometimes - i need the traffic ;)

blackfang
02-20-2010, 06:39 AM
I played beyond protocol in the beta, i played time of defiance, something called mytheon (if thats a strategy game. since you summon alot of minions) confrontation unlimited, and one more i don't remember the name of. So i had my share of mmorts:D :D :D But can always play some more:rolleyes:

szebus
02-20-2010, 07:24 AM
So called MMORTS's with fantasy theme would be Saga and Dreamlord. Still, yet, I haven't seen anything similar to DoF.

Swift sword
02-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Eh, I've never even played a browser based MMORTS before, let alone a actually purchased game. I've played at least 3 client run MMORPGs though :p

Kire
02-20-2010, 10:31 AM
I played Saga for little time and Travian .. =), but they are kinda sucky. Tho my dreaming for mmorts started when age of empires 2 age of kings came out, just that i didnt know it would be called mmorts =) (imagine very biiiiig aoe map with many other ppl on it and ppls castles or moving armies ....=) - something like that).

raving
02-20-2010, 10:49 AM
god >< too much to start typing

szebus
02-20-2010, 11:14 AM
god >< too much to start typing

How? are there so many MMORTS's or you just call every single browser based game to a MMORTS ?

BTW, here is a nice article (http://www.mmorpg-center.com/the-lack-of-mmorts-games/comment-page-1#comment-2403):

"The lack of MMORTS Games

I have always been a big fan of strategy games starting with Dune 2 and other games like Starcraft, Warcraft, Warhammer : Dark Crusade, Company of Heroes, but during the years I noticed that the gameplay environment didnít evolved much. We are talking about linear progression, linear story, etc. except maybe Warhammer Dark Crusade, Total War series and those WWII games similar to Risk. Now with such diversity and financial power of developers like Blizzard and Relic I thought the next logical step in this genre would be an online persistent recipe, but unfortunately developers are still stuck in the WOW, Everquest recipe looking for more money andÖ money.

Having an extensive knowledge of what happens on the online games market, what games are available, which are decent, which are not, i must say I am very frustrated. I have been waiting for a good sandbox persistent MMORTS for years, but no luck so far. On my quest to find ďTHEĒ MMORTS, I played few mmorts games that were decent enough to talk about them.

My first mmorts was Shattered Galaxy, released in 2000-2001. It was an excellent mmorts, surprisingly made by Koreans. You were a part of a faction as one of the military commanders; you had access to custom armies in your quest to inflict as much damage to the enemy factions. As a commander you were able to customize the units, equip them with specific items, and unlock new ones while advancing in level, both you and your units. It was fast and very easy to get into a fight, since all the fights occurred on specific planets and on each territory you will be automatically paired up with over 20 allies against 20 or more enemies. It was persistent universe where the only problem was the risk vs rewards which were so low since losing didnít matter much. People were fighting to get Uranium and just to have fun in Guilds or in group with random allies.

The game is still live even today, but publishing company managed to broke it completely without serious updates or real management over the game. So the servers are empty, and without a balance between faction numbers and a decent graphical update the game is dying.

After Shattered Galaxy I played a lot of browser based strategy games like Utopia, Ogame, Travian, but these are streamlined versions of what I was looking for, so I left them behind. Moving further in 2005 I played a little Mankind a 4X MMORTS similar to Master of Orion, but due to horrible 3d graphics, and bad interface I moved on.

In 2008 i discovered Saga which was a promising persistent MMORTS in Closed Beta, developed by some indie company. The concept was exactly what I was looking for. You were a King in a fantasy based universe and you were in control over economically and military aspects of a persistent kingdom. A part of the game was similar to Stronghold where you were able to develop your castle, build houses, and employ peasants to mine for resources, trade with other players, upgrade and equip your units with specific items. The other part was the RTS side where you were able to venture in to unknown lands with your custom troops to complete quests, participate in PVP and attack other peopleís lands for resources. Unfortunately the troops were gathered from CCG packs, decks which were bought from the official site and you had to trade those acquired, bought with other players, to get the squads desired, since the Decks you bought contained random units. This brought a lot of money to the Developers for such a small company, but they invested very little back into the game.

While most of the features were rough I was confident that with the months left until release, developers will improve the engine, balance their features, and get a polished product out. Unfortunately on release day, it was almost exactly the same as in Closed Beta, with a few changes, minor fixes, and server improvements. I stayed for a while, returned 1 year later, and the game was the same. People were leaving in mass because of the problems and false promises from the developers. In the end the game servers are almost empty, and Devs decided to milk more money from the uninformed players by releasing an EU server since the US official one is a deserted one. A great concept, horrible execution, and the most terrible management I ever saw one for a mmorpg game, besides Sony Online, GOA and Asian MMORPGs third party mmorpg publishers.

After this major disappointment, Battle Forge was released. Very similar in concept with Saga, where you summon your units from the Cards bought online, the game was extremely polished, but instanced and no persistent elements in it, so basically itís a lobby online game, where you PVP in a instanced ladder system, get some rewards. It also has available a decent PVE content, but nothing special, very well done in terms of graphics, interface and accessibility but with a poor gameplay. Itís like playing Warhammer II multiplayer, but much worse.

Recently I returned to Dreamlords another indie mmorts, which was re-released last year, with a complex gameplay and ability to build persistent empire and research, access your kingdom through a web browser, while on the RTS client you will fight against players and complete PVE quests. Due to the unfriendly introduction into the game, low population, and a broken persistent PVP system, I left. The developer left on the project still works at it, but the game still needs lots of work to get people back even though the game at the current stage is polished enough to get a good experience, but due to inability to get players fight for the persistent island system, it useless for me, since the PVE is quite weak and repetitive. Ladder system I am not interested in it, it just an instanced random mess.

They were other games that I didnít mention in this article, that I played but their quality is too low to worth mention them. So what now? Well I play a lot of single players, waiting for Dawn of Fantasy and Stronghold Kingdoms. I believe one of these MMORTS games might have what I been waiting for years, since Shattered Galaxy.

Dawn of Fantasy is upcoming indie MMORTS that I been following it for years. In this MMORTS you will be able to build a persistent kingdom, build strongholds, develop the economy to sustain your armies, send armies to conquer and destroy enemiesí towns, engage in PVE. Dawn of Fantasy is scheduled for release this year, and soon it will enter in a limited open beta. I didnít played it yet, just hoping that it will be what I am looking for, but since it will be available at some point for XBOX 360 too, I have some doubts on the gameplay.

Another MMORTS i m waiting for comes from Firefly Studios, which is an upgrade from the classic RTS, Stronghold. Stronghold Kingdoms promises to be a persistent MMORTS where you develop your medieval empire, fight and explore across real countries such as Britain and Germany. On top of the old game it seems they will add the persistent feature, a research tree, and a huge map to fight on. The problem here may come from the age of the Strongholdís engine, but I canít say more until we see the upgraded engine in action, it might be good enough.

In the end I am very disappointed with some developers, I know that game industry itís a business but cmon create some new recipes, come with something new, explore, innovate, try something new, donít think only at what recipe would binrg huge profits. A good MMORTS can gather enough profits with a stable subscription base if is polished enough and complex. Battleforge is doing well even with the simplistic lobby gameplay. Wake up!

If you had the patience to read this article, rant, talk about your experiences on this genre and what games are you playing and waiting through the comment system below.

Until next time, I leave you with this quote:

ďBlessed is the mind too small for doubt.Ē

Warhammer 40k, Librarian."

Negthareas
02-20-2010, 12:57 PM
LOL. Does EVONY count?

DarkMaster
02-20-2010, 03:48 PM
LOL. Does EVONY count?
*shudders*

Josh Warner
02-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Since I don't count games that I tried but ended up not liking and only played for a week or two - none. I don't think a single game has done the MMORTS genre justice before now.

raving
02-21-2010, 03:06 AM
How? are there so many MMORTS's or you just call every single browser based game to a MMORTS ?

no im not calling browsers games mmorts but im counting my rts as well as my mmo's ^^ since there are only like 4-5 mmorts. :)

Negthareas
02-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Normal rts don't count. I do admit that Evony has a lot of features that could be improved.

Actually on second thought, Evony is MMO but it is definitely not RTS. My bad.

Supreme
02-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Well..if travian (etc.) doesnt count..probably none. Though ive obviously played my share of online RTS's none were actual MMO's.

Edit: Oh wait I just remembered this game I played for a few days. Confrontation unlimited or something, so one. ^^

blackfang
02-22-2010, 01:02 AM
ohh, i just forgot i reached a number of 6-7 mmorts, thats a lot but i voted for 3-4 because i forgot:eek: Silly me:p

HolyPollo
02-22-2010, 05:23 AM
I tried getting into Dreamlords and it never really happened for me. As for others I've played mostly War III, Starcraft, AoE 3, and Command and Conquer

Justin
02-22-2010, 06:03 AM
Ive tried Saga, Dreamlords, and Battleforge, each for a time, none I really liked, Saga I think was probably the best concept but since you could hardly ever find someone to pvp and if you could they were a way different level, I have never really found a good one, hopefully that changes with dawn of fantasy.

Vimes
02-22-2010, 06:11 AM
Thanks for the answers all - this is all very interesting. I really should do more broad brush MMORTS articles..

Re evony and such - would you compare that to DoF or Mankind or Saga? Id prefer not to include browser based, more on the basis that that is a debate for another time.

Id like to host such deep debates on general genre issues on my forum but all the activity goes into the forums of games folk are actually playing - one of the bad side effects of just engrossing games and I am sure its why we dont have the same coverage. Why make a movie showing off a strategy/aspect of your methods when you could fiddle more, make more, move units and actually work inside the strat. Maybe we will overcome this when our games have sufficiently complex guilds within them they NEED propaganda films to achieve ingame ends lol.

My reasoning for holding such broad debates on my site would mostly be down to the blood pressure of devs who watch said debates on their forums knowing that folk will have to cite games and aspects that might conflict with the cosy feel they wish to create on their own forums. Sigh. So much to consider..just bloody games innit.

Negthareas
02-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Yes - I would not compare EVONY to DOF at all - I was just brainstorming for something I have done besides online skirmishes.

szatuchny
02-23-2010, 01:16 PM
MMORTS stands for Massive Multiplayer Online Real Time Strategy Game. As gamers on this forum I would hope most of you at least know this much. However knowing what MMORTS stands for should allow players to classify games correctly into this category, unfortunately that is not the case.

MMO Ė Massive Multi Player Online. This means that a game has to allow multiple players to game together. Not 2 not 4 not even 16 but hundreds or even thousands of players in the same world. Having a matchmaking system that allows you to find a game with 6 other guys doesnít cut it.

I would also argue that MMO means the world is fully persistent. This means the world canít reset whenever it gets so out of balance that continued play is impossible, otherwise youíre just playing an RTS game over multiple sessions. In this one area Shattered Galaxy failed miserably, although I forgive this one infraction due to all the other innovations. SAGA on the other hand fails at allowing you to see all the players at the same time, however it is fully persistent going on 2 years without a reset and none planned.

IMO Persistency trumps all because you want to feel attached to your character. You want to know that building a powerful army and creating powerful weapons has real permanent meaning and isnít something that will disappear in a monthís time forcing you to start from scratch.

RTS Ė REAL TIME Strategy. You see what I did there with real time? This means you need to move your troops around a board in real time. While I enjoyed Evony a lot and am looking forward to playing Trivian, and OMG Heroes of Gaia is AMAZING. None of these are RTS games. They are pure strategy, which is a genre I also love.

So I say in order for a game to be fully classified as MMORTS it must

1. Allow thousands of players to interact in one large world.
2. Be fully Persistent
3. Be playable in Real Time

Using those 3 simple rules I would have to say I never played a real MMORTS, however a true MMORTS remains my dream. Our new game code named Saga Pirates (we have no pirates) due out this year is all that and more. I hope Dawn of Fantasy also fills the bill, because while I really enjoy Saga Pirates you canít really play your own game.

Supreme
02-23-2010, 01:19 PM
How about this: it is one large world divided as one big chessboard of squeres of which you can pass through gates (north, south, west, east). That was the system they had in the game I mentioned earlier.

blackfang
02-23-2010, 01:33 PM
http://beyondprotocol.com/ thats your game that has released. Its awesome however its hard to learn it... Its persistent and its a lot of players... its real time:D

Vimes
02-23-2010, 03:19 PM
I am noticing a distinct lack of Scifi (understandableon a Fantasy themed games forums lol) and two very big omissions. Mankind was the precursor to Beyond Protocol though I think mankind will have amuch harder time keeping its code up to date. Beyond protocol is the zenith of MMORTS atm and if you havent tried it with serious intent then do so before getting into this game. It will give you a good taste of many aspects of the genre you will find here shortly and I would hope moderate your frustrations as this genre has its 'issues'. Dont assume im here pimping,as my latest blog article on the site shows - i am done with the devs and game changes.

For the devs - if there is one piece of advice you will take from this somewhat tired and jaded gamer with a passion for this genre its simply this. Go play Beyond Protocol and learn the lesssons they trip over before you get to them yourselves. there are many issues you may have considered - go witness them occur in all the bloody detail. The one key lesson is get a good team on the front line. Dont let a coder who has to slave to their many wishes loose on them lol.. its never pretty. Or the game owner (thats a personal observation lol). I have yet to meet a dev who has seriously played through the genre like a real player. Maybe Treeform lol.

Im not here stirring for Beyond Protocol but I remain shocked at how little folks look around the genre. On my sites game list there is 35 games - many i will agree dont count as true mmorts but still little mention on threads like this.

blackfang
02-24-2010, 12:57 AM
http://www.mmorts.com/ This is where i check REGULARLY!

Vimes
02-24-2010, 03:45 AM
Yeah they have done such a great job for the genre that site.. thanks for the emphasis lol. That site was why I set up mine lol. Nice to see him active after a few years - think he sensed my distraction last few months with 5 kids and such lol. He will go quiet again shortly as I intend to make a final push for dominance mwuahahahhah... oh this is the sites not the games... never met him in a MMORTS tbh..

Zeluk
03-02-2010, 05:03 PM
Never played a MMORTS before, so largely a nub. I look forward to the experience as I'm beginning to doubt the gaming industry as a whole. Just not enough new recipes being added to the mix, too few innovations being made and developers are starting to get lazy.

DarkMaster
03-02-2010, 08:38 PM
I would also argue that MMO means the world is fully persistent. This means the world canít reset whenever it gets so out of balance that continued play is impossible, otherwise youíre just playing an RTS game over multiple sessions. In this one area Shattered Galaxy failed miserably, although I forgive this one infraction due to all the other innovations. SAGA on the other hand fails at allowing you to see all the players at the same time, however it is fully persistent going on 2 years without a reset and none planned.

I hate resets:( . It's better to just start a new server to complement the old one, or to expand the existimg one IMO.

RTS Ė REAL TIME Strategy. You see what I did there with real time? This means you need to move your troops around a board in real time. While I enjoyed Evony a lot and am looking forward to playing Trivian, and OMG Heroes of Gaia is AMAZING. None of these are RTS games. They are pure strategy, which is a genre I also love.

I have to disagree with your view on "real time" here. Real time simply means that things are happening all the time while you're playing. In other words, if the time at which you click the button to move your troops effects the game, then it's real-time. If you have to wait for a certain "phase" or "turn" to do so, then it's turn-based. I can't think of a single game which doesn't fit in either of these two categories.

blackfang
03-03-2010, 08:19 AM
ooo i can, its called cs and its and fps:D Anyways the best mmorts out there yet is beyond protocol, i played through the entire beta test but i lost the means to play it, i could not play it anymore due to the monthly (my parents are very strict about those) Anyways it is a cool game, i was part of the black hand. We were the top ranking group during beta and fought both qua'sha conclave and traders consortium, we were the most famous alliance on that game:) But then the real game started and half our guild quited due to p2p and now they are harassed by qua'sha and tc since we pwned them back in beta:o Ohh and traders consortium was actually a bunch of players wanting to role play but then they unconditionally started conquering systems so we just returned with server crashing fleets:D 10 k ships on the screen at once meant serious lag and eventually crashing the server. (out of all the crashes the black hand stood for two of them:) ) Anyways enough of me explaining BP its great go buy it:D Ohh and P.S if you find Sir Paradox go give him a wack tell him its from me, he was my rival. I was a small player in front of him but i cleared him out of every system i found:p (tc)

welshie
03-03-2010, 08:33 AM
ooo i can, its called cs and its and fps:D Anyways the best mmorts out there yet is beyond protocol, i played through the entire beta test but i lost the means to play it, i could not play it anymore due to the monthly (my parents are very strict about those) Anyways it is a cool game, i was part of the black hand. We were the top ranking group during beta and fought both qua'sha conclave and traders consortium, we were the most famous alliance on that game:) But then the real game started and half our guild quited due to p2p and now they are harassed by qua'sha and tc since we pwned them back in beta:o Ohh and traders consortium was actually a bunch of players wanting to role play but then they unconditionally started conquering systems so we just returned with server crashing fleets:D 10 k ships on the screen at once meant serious lag and eventually crashing the server. (out of all the crashes the black hand stood for two of them:) ) Anyways enough of me explaining BP its great go buy it:D Ohh and P.S if you find Sir Paradox go give him a wack tell him its from me, he was my rival. I was a small player in front of him but i cleared him out of every system i found:p (tc)

Its a real time FPS, :) sorry to burst ya bubble, lol any who MMORTS' are hard to come by as the word 'Massvily multiplayer' comes in the contention i have played many RTS' online but not many of them consisted of enough players to call then 'Massivly Multiplayer' and i do hope there will be enough for DoF to enter this :)

blackfang
03-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Also if it says mmo its normally not a lobby based game:D

Vimes
03-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Acheiving a huge player base and having the capacity and game rules to balance massive amounts of players are two seperate things.

Beyond Protocol is the pinnacle game atm for pure MMORTS with no concessions. It has not one instanced moment or screen, all is custom built and the things we have set in motion politics wise are amazing and unconsidered by the developers (they anticipated the method needed but couldnt predict what we would try and do). Mankind may catch it up but has lost its throne in the last few years of neglect, with new french devs it may hold its own.

There hasnt been a serious hard core MMORTS with a fantasy theme unless you wish to count Ballerium (now dead sadly) and the TCG MMORTS blends are too focused on casual play to count. DoF might cut it but persistence is all , that and the ability of the player base to define the narrative not wait for dev fed PvE.

Real time for me does not mean anything occuring now - that would mean there are real time menus everywhere etc - Real Time is when the action on the screen that is directly controllable by the player is occuring and alterable at will. I will be seriously overhauling my reviews and definition article soon to reflect the need for clarity here. Everything is MMORTS atm as its a low used metaword that is gaining value. Annoys me...

blackfang
03-03-2010, 08:55 AM
you know Kingdom under fire II is also a mmorts? It seems soo cool, i want to test it too but now priority is Dof:D

DarkMaster
03-03-2010, 03:32 PM
ooo i can, its called cs and its and fps
As pointed out, it is a real-time game. I was referring to real-time vs. turn-based, not RTS vs. TBS. Admittedly, there are plenty of games that have a mix between the two. Total War, for example.

Real time for me does not mean anything occuring now - that would mean there are real time menus everywhere etc - Real Time is when the action on the screen that is directly controllable by the player is occuring and alterable at will.
This is WAY better than my definition:p

blackfang
03-03-2010, 03:41 PM
anyways the cs thingie was just for fun:P it have nothing in common with strategy games, all you do is run kill and get killed.

DarkMaster
03-03-2010, 08:30 PM
all you do is run kill and get killed
No argument there...

Emrus
03-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Well i personally have played Saga(was a beta tester for their US version) and Dreamlords. Also i m currrently an alpha tester for Firefly's Stronghold Kingdoms(upcoming MMORTS).

I was interested in moving in here for the Test, but guess i m 2 late:(

szebus
03-04-2010, 01:43 AM
... Also i m currrently an alpha tester for Firefly's Stronghold Kingdoms(upcoming MMORTS)...

What is You're name in Stronghold Kingdoms ? I am Zebah there, but right now the server is down due to a ... it is down. :)

Henry Martin
03-04-2010, 01:39 PM
I myself have played quiet a few but nothing longer then a week.

ManOwaR
03-05-2010, 04:26 PM
A lot cant remember how many, been gaming since the fabled commodore 64 :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64

used to play the hell out of Q-bert on those things :cool:

blackfang
03-06-2010, 07:59 AM
That thing is awesome, commodore can run the best games ever:D Just kidding i had one before:p Anyways manowar do you by any chance play mount and blade? i saw someone with the same name that have problems with a mod:p Just wondering since i know there are a lot of people who uses the same names:rolleyes:

Vimes
03-06-2010, 08:45 AM
I am also in Stronghold Kingdoms alpha and Lord of Ultima beta, will be joining more to check out for a new review system to be added shortly. Look me up in SK - im...Vimes (how did you guess) and surrounded by folks with way faster scouts :(

otomotopia
03-06-2010, 12:31 PM
I was/am Otomotopia in that game. Quit it until next reset-my top 100 city fell because one of my parish mates took me by force.

ManOwaR
03-09-2010, 11:23 AM
That thing is awesome, commodore can run the best games ever:D Just kidding i had one before:p Anyways manowar do you by any chance play mount and blade? i saw someone with the same name that have problems with a mod:p Just wondering since i know there are a lot of people who uses the same names:rolleyes:

Yep played mount and blade but don't recall having issues with any mods:)

blackfang
03-09-2010, 02:17 PM
well it was horde lands if it was you:P anyways its nothing important i just wondered:p

amos106
03-09-2010, 02:40 PM
I've played 2 or 3, only one of them was pretty good.

Emrus
03-10-2010, 01:05 AM
What is You're name in Stronghold Kingdoms ? I am Zebah there, but right now the server is down due to a ... it is down. :)

I am Alcanta there, Warwickshire rocks.. with a lotsa biggies around my neighborhood.

I am also in Stronghold Kingdoms alpha and Lord of Ultima beta, will be joining more to check out for a new review system to be added shortly. Look me up in SK - im...Vimes (how did you guess) and surrounded by folks with way faster scouts :(

I can understand how it feels when someone else's scouts turn up suddenly and take away all the precious resources and honour from you at the blink of an eye:)

MB22
03-13-2010, 10:52 PM
ive never been able to afford one.

sneaky_squirrel
03-13-2010, 11:50 PM
I enever bothered scouting (Maybe once ina while if it is plentiful and fairly near me for a little boost), I mostly farm, so far so good (Soon to be Yeoman).

Vimes
03-04-2011, 05:38 AM
A lot cant remember how many, been gaming since the fabled commodore 64 :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_64

used to play the hell out of Q-bert on those things :cool:

My fav was boulderdash. My best mate had a c64 - I had the spectrum 48k with rubber keys :(

ImmoralAtheist
03-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Stronghold kingdoms and tribal wars + very short tries on some others. Tribal wars is probably the most balanced mmmorts I've tried, but it's to much focus on grinding to work in what is meant to be a purely competitive mmorts. Stronghold kingdoms. It's so annyoing how the devs don't seems to understand that their implementations are terribly flawed.

Solael
03-11-2011, 04:32 AM
I played in Company of heroes Online & BattleForge

RedFernE
03-12-2011, 05:04 PM
I selected 1 since i can only remember me being in Age of Empires online beta.

Then alot of browser games like travian.

Revenger571
03-12-2011, 07:20 PM
I have played Company of Heroes online Ikariam,Travian,Evony,Tribal Wars,and Grepolis really looking foreword to this game :P

nord
03-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Age of empires, Rise of Nations, Stronghold, Total war, SC

marokgd
03-24-2011, 03:47 AM
trying LoL atm . not bad game . . but tooo long each fight takes . . .40min

Joobs
03-26-2011, 03:13 PM
This will be my first but ever since I played empire earth I thought it would be so cool if you could have an MMO type RTS where city building was important.

If it works like I think it is going to work then ill be playin this for years.

tiomor
03-27-2011, 06:57 AM
I played in Saga... that was really crappy game :|

Pentel123
03-27-2011, 09:22 AM
mostly online MMoRTS games

knukeh
03-30-2011, 03:44 PM
none its hard to find a good one...this one looks decent so i really want tto try it

Creed
03-30-2011, 04:02 PM
I've played a few, but non where very appealing, so hopefully when I play DoF it will blow my mind.

xantero
03-30-2011, 05:44 PM
this will be my first mmorts

WoOpin
03-30-2011, 08:19 PM
If I am honest too many to list.

Anything from Stronghold Kingdoms to Siege Online but thats more a tower defence MMO.

Also loved Celetania but that got closed down for them to focus on Picaroon.

Saga online and Beyond Protocol are good MMO's too but BP has a really large learning curv that can be a pain in the butt with the outdated tutorials. Best browser one is Iron Grip Marauders only because it goes from webpage for city and unit building to Unity full 3D mode when you fight for land.

TStroke
04-02-2011, 03:50 AM
Never found a good MMORTS that could convince me to play, so this will be my first.

Vimes
04-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Now that depends on what you are looking for - long term strategic gameplay is present in every MMORTS and cannot be experienced elsewhere. Stamina, time management, intel, long term goals - these are all aspects of MMORTS that imbue even the poorest with the title strategy. Most of whats left is tactical real time gameplay, reactive use of resources and very sandboxed variables easily broken down and exploited/ignored. IF you havent played a strategy game, in 3d real time (ie not a browser 4x game), over a long period then you are in for a delightful sduprise or, most probably, a rage quit.

Of course the inference of your post is you know better what constitutes a mmorts, even though you have never played one and all the efforts of the last decade of developers taking real risks as indies means little to you. Sorry if that seems harsh but damn folks, can you not show some respect to those who have toiled to bring you some entertainment - largely outta vision or love. For sure, most got bankrupted providing us with 24/7 REAL TIME 3d Strategic gameplay - the toughest genre to crack.

Vimes
04-03-2011, 09:43 AM
If I am honest too many to list.

Anything from Stronghold Kingdoms to Siege Online but thats more a tower defence MMO.

Also loved Celetania but that got closed down for them to focus on Picaroon.

Saga online and Beyond Protocol are good MMO's too but BP has a really large learning curv that can be a pain in the butt with the outdated tutorials. Best browser one is Iron Grip Marauders only because it goes from webpage for city and unit building to Unity full 3D mode when you fight for land.

I think the expression re beyond protocol is endless learning curve. Even the devs are learning what the huge range of variables is producing lol. Whilst not the best executed start of a MMO and brutal nerfs really have hurt the community - this game is the pinnacle of what MMORTS aspires to be. One shard/one universe real time strategic wargame. It could have gone much further with trade n craftiing but I think the slow start and player drop off/rage quits have curtailed much of what they hoped to achieve. I know for sure there are aspects of that game code that allow some wonderful features - but only if the funding picks up etc.

lmorgan1607
04-03-2011, 10:50 PM
only played 3

WoW, LoTR, and Rift

Vimes
04-04-2011, 03:22 AM
None of those are a MMORTS bud, all are MMORPG's....

MMORPG = Mostly Men Online Role Playing Girls

RobbieMorelos
04-09-2011, 08:39 PM
I played like 12943904389345, no kidding, I'm an RTS fan.

Analatore
04-11-2011, 08:19 AM
starcraft 2 is nice

Vimes
04-11-2011, 10:51 AM
If the thread was called how many RTS games have you played then you would be participating. At present you are just showing an amazing ability to not read/ignore the thread you are posting in.

To be clear - SC2 is a online RTS (as best defined at the moment - sandboxed finite variable twitch based tactical wargame would be better)

Its a simple question - if the game isnt on my list of MMORTS games then it isnt one.

AFF:2nd Anterean War
Beyond Protocol
Boundless Planet
Dawn of Fantasy
Dreamlords : Resurrection
Elements of War
End of Nations
Mankind
Picaroon
Project Visitor
Saga
Saga Online
Shattered Galaxy
Star Alliances
Stronghold Kingdoms
Time of Defiance

Some are borderline with persistence and gameplay elements but retain enough persistence to count alongside others. Browser games are left out as they are essentially menu driven strategy games - though the new browser graphics engines emerging now will, no doubt, blur that distinction further.

HTH.

Luka_Sonik_23
04-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Oh well,
if I will get the Beta-key in time... DoF will be my first MMORTS experience. ;)

Macchiavelli
04-12-2011, 04:25 AM
for me is the first one

Arcand
04-12-2011, 09:58 AM
TBH I have yet to find one I enjoy enough to stay on.

Zerwas
04-12-2011, 01:04 PM
hi all

i played only Saga and Dreamlord and i hope and beg to the gods im soon able to test this game
it looks very interesting ;)

Skassss1
04-12-2011, 02:23 PM
How many have I played? Hmm... 1 or 2 I think.

Fedecap
04-14-2011, 08:08 AM
this is the first one

VikeS
04-14-2011, 12:15 PM
I played none :( so I m hoppin to try this one out

WarriorKing
04-21-2011, 01:14 AM
Played Saga had 4 territories but player base got smaler and smaler.

Fabio Pizzini
04-22-2011, 05:37 AM
The Realm,
Everquest,
Dark Age of Camelot,
Final Fantasy XI,
World of Warcraft,
Everquest 2,
Lord of the Rings On-Line,
Dungeons & Dragons,
Final Fantasy XIV,
Warhammer On-line,
Aion.

ki adi mundi
04-22-2011, 10:43 AM
evong stronghold kingdoms saga dreamlords ive tryed few they werent that great dof looks cool though

WarriorKing
04-26-2011, 12:34 PM
The Realm,
Everquest,
Dark Age of Camelot,
Final Fantasy XI,
World of Warcraft,
Everquest 2,
Lord of the Rings On-Line,
Dungeons & Dragons,
Final Fantasy XIV,
Warhammer On-line,
Aion.

You can start over again "MMORTS" read before post.

Spiritraiser
04-26-2011, 02:29 PM
have tried a couple, this gaming sector can really improve a lot :)

Ivchoue
04-30-2011, 12:01 PM
just one, it was BattleForge, but i think its great part of the mmo

apebble
04-30-2011, 03:16 PM
grepolis lord of ultima evony vindictus runescape(temporarily) dawn of fantasy pawntactics pawn

and some others i cant mention due to rule break...lol

Defilus
04-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Well if you don't count Browser Based games then it would be "none" for me I think.

Theanon
05-01-2011, 04:29 AM
none so far

ididi9
05-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Loads,

Boundless Planet
TW
Travian
Battleforge
Saga

Etc Etc

kr4lik
05-01-2011, 02:00 PM
World of Tanks for now

Modac
05-03-2011, 06:42 PM
I'm not sure. I have tried a few but never really got into them. I'm hoping DoF keeps my attention.

Templar
05-03-2011, 06:51 PM
I've played a lot. Most of them by myself on all difficulties, but some online with friends. I was really shut down when Lotr BMFE got its servers shut down.

Aikem
05-04-2011, 03:03 AM
All

lilobrokevy
05-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Too many to remember some I don't want to remember.

Perconte
05-04-2011, 12:12 PM
Lord of Ultima and Company of Heroes Online

Repsol
05-04-2011, 12:13 PM
never had the chance to play one of these

Firvain
05-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Mostly played Eve online ATM, but also played guild wars back in the good old day hehe :)

Nebel
06-27-2011, 10:45 PM
If Starcraft II counts, then that's about it.

rat-morningstar
06-28-2011, 07:10 AM
i don't think i know any MMORTS games, other than this one of course
multiplayer RTS, oh, bucketloads
MMO, sure, i think i've played most of them already

but MMORTSes? none

Brotolemaeus
06-28-2011, 10:48 AM
Boundless planet, saga, and picaroon.

theinternetman
06-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Despite the fact that if you ask me no real MMORTS has been produced yet...

Persistent Online Real Time Strategy: (PORTS)

Battleforge
Saga
Shattered Galaxy
World Of Battles
Starport (Which is more of a pre-EvE EvE but I consider it pseudo-rts)
Starjack
Picaroon
Boundless Planet

Hopefully Soon:

Gods and Idols

Lotoss
06-29-2011, 03:41 AM
http://www.worldofbattles.com/

new mmorts game...now its beta free to play...

Tarkus
06-29-2011, 09:28 AM
most of "mmorts" what i have played wasnt actually mmo rts :( it was near but not actually MMORTS and thats why i want to play in Dawn of Fantasty :D

terrabellica
06-30-2011, 06:31 AM
I know one true MMORTS
Its http://terrabellica.com

][freeman][
06-30-2011, 09:31 AM
http://www.worldofbattles.com/

new mmorts game...now its beta free to play...

Yeah, good game, I play on it.