PDA

View Full Version : lua scripting

Henry Martin
02-12-2010, 05:14 PM
I am not the best at learning programing languages(common statement):(.

I was wondering if anyone has used torque script and if that is comparable to lua script? I have been looking at some tutorials and most seem to assume that you have some programing experience. I am not that good a scripting/programming so I am looking for tutorials that assume that you don't know the first thing about script/programming.

Negthareas
02-12-2010, 05:32 PM
No clue, but would also like suggestions.

Alex Walz
02-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Never heard of torque. Lua's like a simplified Java/C++ hybrid. It's a very beginner-friendly language and you can usually get a good idea of what a script does just by looking at it - even if you have no experience with Lua, as a lot of the C++ symbols are simplified into plain english, though personally I think this is a bit annoying.

There's some beginner resources on Lua in this thread at DoFH (http://dof.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=42,1,,10) and some other dev-posted resources floating around that forum.

Josh Warner
02-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Never heard of torque. Lua's like a simplified Java/C++ hybrid. It's a very beginner-friendly language and you can usually get a good idea of what a script does just by looking at it - even if you have no experience with Lua, as a lot of the C++ symbols are simplified into plain english, though personally I think this is a bit annoying.

There's some beginner resources on Lua in this thread at DoFH (http://dof.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=42,1,,10) and some other dev-posted resources floating around that forum.

For experienced coders it's a bit slower/inconvenient perhaps, but for people new to code it's a huge help I'd say. Extremely user friendly and one of the best languages to get started with for those with zero experience.

I know what torque is, but I haven't done anything with it, so no idea if it's similar or not.

Alex Walz
02-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Oh yes, it's very nice and straightforward - I just don't like writing out all the do/then/and statements instead of just using simple brackets. It's a good language, I just try to compare it to Java too much.

LiTos456
02-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Torque has been around for a while actually. I've played with it some years ago... But never got into it.
Hell, I never even got into programming far enough not to get dragged away by some other interest. So sorry, can't help.

Andy Joslin
02-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Lua scripting in Dawn of Fantasy is not hard. You could go as far as to say it is easy.

Jonathan Werk posted a good thread showcasing a bit of our scripting at Dawn of Fantasy Heaven: link (http://dof.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=42,64,,10)

Jonathan Werk
02-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Andy, do you think I should post it here too?
I posted it at DoFH first because I knew the people there are mostly scenario designers and they were pretty apprehensive about Lua and I wanted to assuage their fears. I haven't been seeing much (if any) editor discussion here.

Henry Martin
02-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the replies. I will probably mess around with lua alittle and when I get ahold of the editor I will try really learn it.

I would like the post here. I am looking forward to the editor myself. As an aspiring level design I should learn how to script, but I am slow.

massenic
02-13-2010, 11:44 AM
thanks for the link Andy! Really interesting

I had already started learning the basis of lua and it's really easy. Very recognizable if you are used to programming, and as *insert name here, too lazy to look who said it* said it looks like an easy programming/scripting language to start with

Jonathan Werk
02-13-2010, 11:56 AM
It is quite simple but I'm always forgetting "then" and "do" because I'm used to languages where they are implied :p

massenic
02-13-2010, 12:05 PM
I'll probably have the same problem. I'll get used to it... I hope:p

Henry Martin
02-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Part of my program I had to take c sharp and scripting(which we used torque engine). We used unreal, but never got into the scripting for it. I have a few more programming class(not looking forward to those) like graphics programming and shader programming I think.