PDA

View Full Version : Heroes

Pilgrim
02-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Yes, negative post, had to happen eventually..

Having read that units will be microed not as individuals but as 15 - 20 unit batalians, with one exception being large units such as ogres and the other exception being heroes I have to ask..

How annoying are heroes going to be?

For a human hero unit to be worth-while in an army of 300 men I see only one possibilty. It will be a human who runs around the map single-handely taking on 25 men in a version of reality previously seen only in battle-for-middle-earth and bad Arnold Schwarzenegger movies.

How many hundreds of arrows (no exageration) will I have to watch fly into my enemy hero's back as he cheekily runs away from my army after a one-man raid that leaves two of my batalians lying on their backs?

I hope I'm wrong, but I can't see any other way.

Darvin
02-10-2010, 10:35 PM
This is the kind of thing that can be discussed and even (gasp) changed in beta. Don't worry about these things.

I'm with you, I don't like superpower heroes that can tank through hundreds of soldiers singlehandedly, though I do think they should be largely impervious to focus fire. In a game like this, we could easily have hundreds of archers in a single battle, and having all them notch their bows and aim for one hero doesn't seem right at all...

I'm hoping to see heroes more like the Warcraft III (level 5 and under...) variety. Powerful, capable of really threatening enemies, but if they get surrounded and cut off from their forces they're as good as dead.

Alex Walz
02-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Battle is only a secondary function for heroes. Their main function is to talk with quest givers, merchants, etc. You can have ten armies roaming around Mythador and only one hero, so truthfully, you may not even be seeing much of him. With that said, heroes do bring a good number of new abilities to the battle field - I constantly use my hero to heal troops in proximity in the Online Kingdom mode, which allows me to gain a quick boost if things start turning sour.

You won't see them in regular skirmishes, except for the King you're trying to protect or kill.

Andy Joslin
02-11-2010, 07:21 AM
Heroes will have many AoE support abilities, and will be less focused on actual normal fighting.

And yes, they will have quite high armor against projectiles:)

Swift sword
02-11-2010, 07:52 AM
To be honest, I liked BFME heroes some times-It's fun to go up againt an entire army with just your heroes and watch them level up like crazy. Sure, they die eventually, but by the time they do...:D

Anyways, it sounds like the devs have this one figured out. So long as thery can't single-handedly tip a massive 1000-on-1000 battle to their player's favour, they're fine by me.

blackfang
02-11-2010, 09:53 AM
if it was possible i would like for heroes to gain more attack/defense power when surrounded by friendlies since a hero always survive a battle if he doesn't go alone. Like making him a lower priority. Also it is possible for one warrior to take down 20-30 men alone, its not uncommon in history that an entire platoon is wiped by someone rushing in.

Pilgrim
02-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Also it is possible for one warrior to take down 20-30 men alone, its not uncommon in history that an entire platoon is wiped by someone rushing in.

That doesn't sound like a fact to me :)

welshie
02-11-2010, 10:46 AM
i hated BFME when the enemy had 2+ heros and sent them streight into your unfinised base, kill your hero then destroy everything. Or just one flying unit which just destroys everything even archers are mowed down in there dozens!

blackfang
02-11-2010, 10:52 AM
... well i guess you don't know your viking stories. In a 10 k army of men there is bound to be someone who are awesome. Like for instance that viking that defended a bridge singlehandedly killing a lot of people. He stood his ground but eventually lost, but he took down a lot more then 30 guys. Also in the thing about Leonidas and his 300 Spartans, guess what? That was an army of 300 heroes so they took down 10 maybe even 20 times their numbers. They lost one or two every battle which is not bad considering the enemies lost thousands. So basically i am right, there are always good people and poor people. Its just that people that can't fight are illustrated as soldiers of course the armies look ****ed. You know in a regular ten k vs ten k men there is a large possibility that one or two guys get kill count +20. ohh now i wandered off, the point is that one guy killing 20-30 farmers given weapons and called soldiers is not that big of a deal. Anyone could've done that with a little training. Most likely the enemies will be either orcs given hatchets or bows and sent off, or elves with a little training for defending th3ir own homes or humans that thought it would be fun to fight and signed up for an army. That is just because they think war is awesome and in the past there were more people who wanted to fight rather then farm. So i guess the possibility that a heavily trained elite lord with a great sword made from some of the strongest metals there is and wearing a large armor made from the same should be able to fend off and kill like up to a platoon. Especially if it is regulars or recruits.

So now if you don't see the truth, look at it from another view. Think what would happen if this so called leader is a weakling. Boom first volley dead. You can never take him to quests far away because everyone try to kill the leader. The enemy focus their attack at where your hero is. WTF would you do against an enemy when your hero stand out? Would you rather have a hero that would die in the first volley or a hero that can lead a charge without getting impaled on the spear-wall? Of course the heroes gotta be strong or else you can also put it this way, no one would ever use the hero in battle and that again would delete half his purpose and really slow down your early stage development which is probably Dependant on a hero that can kill an enemy or ten.

There are two things that should make you accept the hero. Also if you did not notice there is ONLY ONE so you don't have to worry about a hero charge. Just remember that your hero can do equal the dmg the enemy can. Pleased to annoy you with a page of why we should use heroes:rolleyes:

otomotopia
02-11-2010, 11:09 AM
I would say having your hero have a lot of hitpoints and restances is reasonable. However, taking out 5 batallions by himself is not. Using him/her as an AoE ranged powerhouse/healer/force multiplier would be perfectly fine.

Cutting through 120 guys singlehandedly-no.
Supporting his/her troops so that 60 of them can now kill double with ease- yes, that's reasonable.

welshie
02-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Another thing about the hero, when he dies does he just respawn or will another take his place and he now becomes the lord of your land (considering your the king and lords are your vassels) would like to see Lords taking it up not just going boom back to life :)

zach12wqasxz
02-11-2010, 11:59 AM
... well i guess you don't know your viking stories. In a 10 k army of men there is bound to be someone who are awesome. Like for instance that viking that defended a bridge singlehandedly killing a lot of people. He stood his ground but eventually lost, but he took down a lot more then 30 guys. Also in the thing about Leonidas and his 300 Spartans, guess what? That was an army of 300 heroes so they took down 10 maybe even 20 times their numbers. They lost one or two every battle which is not bad considering the enemies lost thousands. So basically i am right, there are always good people and poor people. Its just that people that can't fight are illustrated as soldiers of course the armies look ****ed. You know in a regular ten k vs ten k men there is a large possibility that one or two guys get kill count +20. ohh now i wandered off, the point is that one guy killing 20-30 farmers given weapons and called soldiers is not that big of a deal. Anyone could've done that with a little training. Most likely the enemies will be either orcs given hatchets or bows and sent off, or elves with a little training for defending th3ir own homes or humans that thought it would be fun to fight and signed up for an army. That is just because they think war is awesome and in the past there were more people who wanted to fight rather then farm. So i guess the possibility that a heavily trained elite lord with a great sword made from some of the strongest metals there is and wearing a large armor made from the same should be able to fend off and kill like up to a platoon. Especially if it is regulars or recruits.

So now if you don't see the truth, look at it from another view. Think what would happen if this so called leader is a weakling. Boom first volley dead. You can never take him to quests far away because everyone try to kill the leader. The enemy focus their attack at where your hero is. WTF would you do against an enemy when your hero stand out? Would you rather have a hero that would die in the first volley or a hero that can lead a charge without getting impaled on the spear-wall? Of course the heroes gotta be strong or else you can also put it this way, no one would ever use the hero in battle and that again would delete half his purpose and really slow down your early stage development which is probably Dependant on a hero that can kill an enemy or ten.

There are two things that should make you accept the hero. Also if you did not notice there is ONLY ONE so you don't have to worry about a hero charge. Just remember that your hero can do equal the dmg the enemy can. Pleased to annoy you with a page of why we should use heroes:rolleyes:

ok about the spartan thing, there actual numbes were in the thousands, along with hundreds if not thousands of soldiers from athens and other neighboring cities. now there total nubers were like 3000 men, vs Xerxious ( however u spell it ) who had like 300,000 men. now the way the spartans fought in the tight alleys of the mountain pass enabled them to hold there ground agoainst about 10k soldiers from the persains, also the greek had a massive weapon and armor advantage. after that the persians found out about a small path that lead behind the greeks. greek scouts saw the persians coming from that pass and all of the greeks, except 300 spartans fled ( including spartans ) and held off the persians so the rest could escape. and during this battle all of the spartans were sluaghtered including there king, wich the remaning spartans and persians fought over till the end of the battle, granted the spartans cut down a lot of persians in the end it wasnt like the movie 300. i actually believe king leonidas had his head cut off in the real battle, where in the movie 300 he had like 30 arrows in his chest.

and thats my crappily summarized history lesson for the day

and i dont think a hero should be able to wipe out a platoon, but they should be pretty strong, like able to kill 10 other soldiers at once

blackfang
02-11-2010, 03:06 PM
well i know that too... the Greeks were a bunch of quite cool guys, the Spartans only sent 300 to their numbers, the other people sent all they had. Also the Spartans sent a huge fleet. I just didn't want to get into it since those 9.7 k other soldiers and the fleet of a few thousand men and ships with their rams and that. It just seems so poor. so i prefer the 300 way. I agree with everything you said of course but i didn't think it would matter if i said 10 k Greeks, no one would know where that is since they always put out that number when they go. However if i used 300 (since they were the strongest) they are remembered by all. I bet you would have problems thinking what battle it was if you only knew about 300 Spartans. So i guess i probably should have set the 10 k number in () But i didn't think that far. Also i have no idea how Leonidas died but it sure must've been horrible since he inflicted that kinda defeat on the Persians. I bet you watched discovery channel too?

Darathor
02-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Heroes won't be overpowered like they were in bfme2. *shudders*
Those guys would literally kill everyone near them, sure you could focus them, but with what? Your dead troops?
Heroes won't really be about killing other troops with them, more like giving auras and moral to nearby troops.

Kire
02-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Since this is a topic about heroes .... it was discussed how powerfull they will be but not what type we could have. Will there be archer? archmage? paladin? rogue?, warrior? Or will be just simply 1 type - hero? Personally i would like more to choose of =).

Swift sword
02-11-2010, 07:50 PM
I like the idea of heroes being support as well. I'm surprised everyone hates the BFME heroes, though. I thought they were fun to mess around with ;) .
Anyways, it should be interesting to see if different races's heroes give different bonuses and support, along with different stats.

Edit: Oh, and I'm pretty sure that there's only the normal melee type hero. 'Least I've never seen a different type in the screenshots.

Negthareas
02-12-2010, 08:35 AM
Hmm. Good arguments for both sides.

Classical example of heroes - Roman Horatius defended the bridge crossing the Tiber River in order to prevent Rome from being captured by the Tuscans. He was accompanied by one or two companions, and they held off hundreds of enemies.

BFME heroes were way overated. I hope the heroes for DOF will not be like them.

Still, even if one's hero had abilitis like the BFME ones, you would only have 1 hero - this would allow him to be overwhelmes and killed. Seriously, in BFME, 2 or 3 well used battalions could easily kill a hero - a combination of archers and meelee.

That is my twosense.

zach12wqasxz
02-12-2010, 09:49 AM
well i know that too... the Greeks were a bunch of quite cool guys, the Spartans only sent 300 to their numbers, the other people sent all they had. Also the Spartans sent a huge fleet. I just didn't want to get into it since those 9.7 k other soldiers and the fleet of a few thousand men and ships with their rams and that. It just seems so poor. so i prefer the 300 way. I agree with everything you said of course but i didn't think it would matter if i said 10 k Greeks, no one would know where that is since they always put out that number when they go. However if i used 300 (since they were the strongest) they are remembered by all. I bet you would have problems thinking what battle it was if you only knew about 300 Spartans. So i guess i probably should have set the 10 k number in () But i didn't think that far. Also i have no idea how Leonidas died but it sure must've been horrible since he inflicted that kinda defeat on the Persians. I bet you watched discovery channel too?

ya i watch the discovery channel alot, but mostly cuz i like the show dirty jobs
and heroes that u could choose there class would add a lot more depth into the gameplay because a paladin unit would really benefit a player because he could heal there army, as were a rogue hero could infiltrate enemy towns ect.

blackfang
02-12-2010, 10:19 AM
Btw i don't see a problem with the bfme heroes, i mean try fighting online with another player with custom hero. There is a 40% chance that it is a bugged character. A friend of mine had a invincible troll that could ride horses and well you get the point. If you think bfme heroes are bad try the custom ones, if you create a normal it can kill a base or two. If you create a bugged one it can solo 50 k soldiers alone AT LEAST.:eek:

Negthareas
02-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Yikes! all the more reason to have strict limits on the greatest ability a hero can reach. Otherwise, the player who have been around the longest in the MMORTS will have super-heroes. Maybe heros give the units around them bonuses, but as the level of the hero increases, the amount the bonus increases by decreases.

EG-

hero level 1 bonues nearby troops by 5
hero level 2 bonues nearby troops by 4
hero level 3 bonues nearby troops by 3
hero level 4 bonues nearby troops by 2
hero level 5 bonues nearby troops by 1
hero level 6 bonues nearby troops by 1
hero level 10 bonues nearby troops by 1

Like that.

ash12181987
02-12-2010, 06:45 PM
OR... Heros could be a unit of men... with one special NPC who has extra art done on him... the entire unit being better armored and better armed, kinda like the Lord unit in the TW series

Because, what would be the reason to level up? I mean, you could just Leave him out of COMBAT... let him wander near other troops to provide bonuses, but not hit anything.

Negthareas
02-12-2010, 06:48 PM
I am sorry, I was not clear. As a hero levels up, the bonus he gives would get greater. But, the higher he gets, the less advanced the bonus would get per level.

The bonus would still increase, but eventually it would get to a point where it would increase very very slowly as to further improve insignificantly.

GPS51
02-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Well...as i understand it, you only get one hero so that should limit the hero abusing... only 1 army can travel with said hero. Heroes should totally be uber powerful. I say 5-6 battlalions worth depending on attack and armor for hero. Otherwise why have heroes?

Negthareas
02-12-2010, 06:52 PM
True, since each player will only have one hero, the power of a hero is not too big an issue actually.

DarkMaster
02-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Hmmm... Interesting topic :)

What if heroes are, as people suggested, not extremely powerful, but to counter the targeting problem, you attach them to a squad to lead. This way, when you target the hero, it will target it as part of the squad and share the arrows around. Hope that makes sense.:(

Yes, heroes in BfME were overpowered, but at lvl. 1 I guess they were O.K. At lvl. 10, however... WORD OF POWER. 'nuff said.

Josh Warner
02-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Hmmm... Interesting topic :)

What if heroes are, as people suggested, not extremely powerful, but to counter the targeting problem, you attach them to a squad to lead. This way, when you target the hero, it will target it as part of the squad and share the arrows around. Hope that makes sense.:(

Yes, heroes in BfME were overpowered, but at lvl. 1 I guess they were O.K. At lvl. 10, however... WORD OF POWER. 'nuff said.

Arrows have realistic trajectory DarkMaster - you can't focus fire an individual with ranged attacks as they will naturally miss a large portion of their shots. If you fire from around their maximum range you can expect a very small percentage of shots to land if there's only a single target in the area. Which accurately makes them weak for singling out battalions/heroes, but allows them to deal a great deal of damage to large groups of units.

Pilgrim
02-12-2010, 09:14 PM
That sounds great Josh. I'm told thats one of the great things about the TW series.

On the subject of balance - Interesting question as well that one, but personally I wasn't worried about heroes causing inbalance. I knew every player would have the same number of heroes (which it turns out is just one).

I was only worried about it looking stupid and unrealistic, like in BFME ;)
I'm surprised to see almost everyone who posts here a lot is quite well versed in BFME. thats cool.

If the hero were an all-powerful mage, like Gandalf, I would actually think it looked cool, and in that case the excuse "its fantasy" would work for me. And Gandalf's 'Word of Power' in BFME was just awsome.

What wasn't awsome was seeing one lone swordsmen (Aragorn etc) reaking the same kind of havok.
However, since this is a computer game there will be some people who hate things looking silly, and other people who don't mind because its just a game. I'm not actually sure which group is the majority and which the minority.

Of course, since we've practically all played BFME, we all know that that game also had game destroying balance issues, heroes being just one of them, but I actually doubt DoF will be allowing balance issues.

sneaky_squirrel
02-12-2010, 09:38 PM
That sounds great Josh. I'm told thats one of the great things about the TW series.

On the subject of balance - Interesting question as well that one, but personally I wasn't worried about heroes causing inbalance. I knew every player would have the same number of heroes (which it turns out is just one).

I was only worried about it looking stupid and unrealistic, like in BFME ;)
I'm surprised to see almost everyone who posts here a lot is quite well versed in BFME. thats cool.

If the hero were an all-powerful mage, like Gandalf, I would actually think it looked cool, and in that case the excuse "its fantasy" would work for me. And Gandalf's 'Word of Power' in BFME was just awsome.

What wasn't awsome was seeing one lone swordsmen (Aragorn etc) reaking the same kind of havok.
However, since this is a computer game there will be some people who hate things looking silly, and other people who don't mind because its just a game. I'm not actually sure which group is the majority and which the minority.

Of course, since we've practically all played BFME, we all know that that game also had game destroying balance issues, heroes being just one of them, but I actually doubt DoF will be allowing balance issues.

I beg to differ, but I have never played BFME.

Swift sword
02-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Meh. Gandalf was still over-powered if the others were. I mean come on...how many hits could he take before hitting the dirt? 500 or so? It was sort of ridiculous, although the price made up for it. In any case, Gandalf was wearing robes. Not 4-feet thick pieces of plate armor/chainmail.

Still; I got used to it to the point where I enjoyed those OP heroes.

One last thing to say: Never insult Aragorn. He owns. :cool:

DarkMaster
02-13-2010, 01:32 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about realistic arrows being in this game. Scratch my last suggestion:p

blackfang
02-13-2010, 07:22 AM
guys, you know whats even more powerful then a hero in bfme? That is an archer battalion lvl 10 against A LOT of lvl 1. They are awesome, two volleys to take a group. Killing heroes in no time, pwning everyone. They are just too good.:D

Pilgrim
02-13-2010, 07:30 AM
sneaky_squirrel, I said almost of us, not all of us :cool:

Swift sword, Gandalf was very overpowered, I havent disputed that. In-fact, I also agree he looked stupid too taking so many arrows and beatings on his robed body. He should have had a shield or something. I'm just saying that potentially, the idea of an very powerful wizard capable of wiping out 40 men doesn't seem unrealistic to me (yes, granting that we are talking about a world where wizards would exist).

The balance issue can be sorted. Give every player a 'gandalf' etc. With BFME, frankly, the balance issues were due exclusively to lack of concern from the developers.

Negthareas
02-13-2010, 01:36 PM
As far as unit upgrades go, I don't think BFME was bad. They did not have too much varience in units. Instead of ugrading to different units, units just got more armor, hitpoints, fire arrows, attack...etc. So, a Gondorian archer battalion with heavy armor, fire arrows, flag carrier, and at level 10 was actually representive of the best kind of archers possible. The basic battalion was the worst possible.

Swift sword
02-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Ah, I see what you were saying now-you were saying each player could have a gandalf. That, I don't dispute. The thing was, in BFME factions like...say Mordor, sorta lacked the OP heroes that Rohan and Gondor had. Sure they had the nazgul, but a nice little flash from Gandalf's staff and boom. Explosion.
And Rohan..well they had THREE over-powered one-man army guys. So they effectively had 4 armies ;)
Anyways, I'd prefer it if things didn't end up like that. I like the leadership idea, which is much more in-line with what heroes actually are. So +1 Reverie. :)

blackfang
02-13-2010, 02:04 PM
negt, once long time ago i got 3 archer platoons fully upgraded in full lvl. You know what they did to the enemy when he brought his entire army? He was so utterly crushed that he never regained that army, right after i walked straight into his base killing off everything in no time. The lvl 10 archers are overpowered. They are however more frightening at an ithilien ranger. They hide around the map and when your trainee hero walk past he us pwned. It freaking terrifying meeting a lvl 10 archer platoon without a bunch of lvl 10 heroes. Also i mean there is NO WAY whatsoever that three archer platoons can take on ten untrained archer platoons and 14 soldier platoons. It would be suicide but those archers killed everyone in quite the unfair match.

However i do love lvls for units, i hate it when they totally pwn everyone else.

Negthareas
02-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Compared to unleveled battalions, yes they are overpowered. That is why no player worth his salt would send that many unleveled battalions against such high ones. Instead, use catapults or cavalry, if you have no leveled up units.

Though, I do think the leveling was a little overpowered, but I liked the idea - and how BFME put it into the game.

DarkMaster
02-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Meh, I didn't mind the levelling. Though, if it was up to me, I'd remove unit upgrades from BfME entirely. THEY were OP. IMO you should be able to choose whether you pay to upgrade your units or pay to build more. There simply was no choice if you wanted to win.

blackfang
02-14-2010, 06:57 AM
Well lvls combined with upgrades made the units op. What i dont want is a game where it is possible for a single platoon to turn the tide ENTIRELY. Which means that if there is only one platoon left and you just charge with it and cut straight through the enemy ranks and win thats too overpowered. I can understand if it is a ranged platoon with enough speed to run away and fire their arrows, run away again and fire their arrows. But if its a melee platoon that just charge and pwn its a bit unrealistic. HOWEVER if it is a tight pass and the awesome unit is heavily armored i see no reason for them not being overpowered. Its just complicated so i will wait till the 3rd beta and see for myself if the units are balanced. I can complain after that:p

otomotopia
02-14-2010, 09:20 AM
I'm going to play forum cop and just say this topic got horrendously off topic.

While I do understand the logic of overpowered units killing underpowered units, this is not a BFME thread-this is about the discussion of what we would want/replies to others wishlists for DoF heroes.

/forumcop

GPS51
02-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Back on topic... Will heroes come in diff shapes and sizes/classes for each of the civs? Or will they all be chain mail armor sword wearing heroes with different names? Also will it be possible to upgrade different skill sets for each hero ?

Negthareas
02-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Well, let's see - According to the Fantasy Friday's [or it might have been something in the archives] heroes are selected with a primary ability and a secondary ability [aka - masonry, blacksmith, warrior, magician, etc.]. These benefited the player in different ways.

EG -masons got wall defenses with big discounts.

I think that sounds good. However, I would like there to be custimization in weapons, looks, armor, and leveling.

Josh Warner
02-14-2010, 07:39 PM
Well, let's see - According to the Fantasy Friday's [or it might have been something in the archives] heroes are selected with a primary ability and a secondary ability [aka - masonry, blacksmith, warrior, magician, etc.]. These benefited the player in different ways.

EG -masons got wall defenses with big discounts.

I think that sounds good. However, I would like there to be custimization in weapons, looks, armor, and leveling.

That's your settlement choices, not hero that you're thinking. Siege, Magic, Defense, resources and military basically.

Negthareas
02-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Oh, My bad. I will have to go back and check that.

HolyPollo
02-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Battle is only a secondary function for heroes. Their main function is to talk with quest givers, merchants, etc. You can have ten armies roaming around Mythador and only one hero, so truthfully, you may not even be seeing much of him. With that said, heroes do bring a good number of new abilities to the battle field - I constantly use my hero to heal troops in proximity in the Online Kingdom mode, which allows me to gain a quick boost if things start turning sour.

You won't see them in regular skirmishes, except for the King you're trying to protect or kill.

See I enjoy heroes that have more aura or summoning powers. Perhaps they have a little more health than your typical grunt but their presence aids the battalion they're governing. Granting team abilities like a charge or an added defense or speed would be worthwhile. They'll still be the priority target but they won't be able to walk into an army of hundreds, wreak havok and escape unscathed.

Zeluk
03-06-2010, 12:19 AM
The hero buffs in BFME were always my favorite. But in terms of heroes in DoF how customizable will a hero be. Haven't seen a lot of info on this, granted I've only been on the forums for a few days. But I spent the past 15-30mins researching them and there seems to be little to no actual info on them other then just speculation and tidbits that the devs have thrown us.

So really the only question I'd love to have answered is can we name our heroes?

I also nominate next weeks Fantasy Friday to preview heroes, if I'm not overstepping my bounds as a junior member :p.

Negthareas
03-06-2010, 09:49 AM
I am pretty sure you can name them - but I do not know for sure. That was not very helpful was it?

Zeluk
03-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Yeah I don't see why you wouldn't be able to, but most of the info on heroes is largely just speculation on our part. There's little actual facts floating around about them, same can be said about Guilds.

Darathor
03-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Yeah I don't see why you wouldn't be able to, but most of the info on heroes is largely just speculation on our part. There's little actual facts floating around about them, same can be said about Guilds.

I'm quite sure that heroes will be a more supporting role when it comes to battles, not the upfront commando killing everybody. I think that their abilities will be more like auras and buffs for your troops rather, so more passive stuff, than actual spells or special attacks.

Negthareas
03-06-2010, 04:41 PM
That makes lots of sense. Most times historically, heroes were able to accomplish so much because they inspired their troops, who in turn trusted their leaders.

Were heroes great fighters and swordsmen, archers and strongmen? Yes, but their greatest ability was their ability to lead men. LEADERSHIP.

blackfang
03-07-2010, 06:43 AM
What about a system like in mods to mount and blade, where all your troops gain (moral) something cool when the leader kills. They are inspired by the bravery. But they can loose the (moral) Cool stuff if the leader dies.:D

Negthareas
03-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Yes that kind of thing. When you create your hero, you can determine what kind of passive bonuses he will have. As time goes by, your hero will gain new bonuses or lvl up in ones he already had depending on what he has done.

OrcSlayer
03-13-2010, 03:10 PM
This post is alittle offtopic but its relevent to the subject of Heroes
can you customise the look of your hero? and will this be for purly cosmetic purposes or for stats?

Zeluk
03-13-2010, 03:45 PM
We haven't really been told anything about heroes yet other then that we can choose traits when we start a new city. As to customizing the look of a hero, I sure hope so! I'm personally crossing my fingers for this.

Josh Warner
03-13-2010, 07:05 PM
We haven't really been told anything about heroes yet other then that we can choose traits when we start a new city. As to customizing the look of a hero, I sure hope so! I'm personally crossing my fingers for this.

Those traits are for the settlement itself not for the heroes.

Zeluk
03-13-2010, 10:37 PM
Semantics. You know what I mean. :o

But basically we know nothing about heroes.

Alex Walz
03-13-2010, 11:07 PM
I was talking to Kon a little bit yesterday and revamping the heroes is definitely something we would like to do. I won't get into specifics yet or make any promises, but we'll likely have higher quality hero models and textures, more chat animations, the ability to name your hero, and a basic level of appearance customization.

Right now I think we've said all there is to say about our heroes. They're not that complex, just elite infantry units that can interact with NPCs. They have a range of special abilities including heal and group heal, can trade with merchants, can receive quests, and can be revived at your homeland if they are killed in battle. The fact that your hero can level up to the max level without worrying about getting killed and starting back at level 1 makes them a powerful military unit. We may set the hero's experience back to their current level base experience, not quite sure how it works/will work.

Zeluk
03-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Well that's all I could really hope for. Naming and slight customization works for me! :D

Kire
03-14-2010, 05:41 AM
Slight customization in way that bfme2 have or just few different faces?

DarkMaster
03-14-2010, 04:19 PM
in way that bfme2
No. Please no.

Darathor
03-14-2010, 10:17 PM
The ability to name and customize the appearance of my hero to some degree is really all I could want.(besides them having a spell like Word of Power or something):D I would want more customizations(items/armor pieces) to be able to change or at least better looking armor pieces than in bfme2. The heroes abilities seem to be fine right now. I don't want them to be overpowered and key to winning a battle, but merely be the best unit in your army(but not by much).

Negthareas
03-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Yes - exterior changes and stuff would be very welcome. Slight ability custimization as well, but the overcustimization in BFME2 has already been discussed and was way overpowered.

Kire
03-15-2010, 05:34 PM
I thought the customization as bfme2 just with the look (beside head/gender also different gear) not abilities x.x.

Negthareas
03-15-2010, 09:02 PM
No, you could custimize the magical abilities they possessed as well. I think. I am pretty sure.

DarkMaster
03-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Stats were cusomizable to an extent too, but only attack, health, speed, LoS etc. Not type of attack.

welshie
03-15-2010, 09:17 PM
\o/ new info on heroes, looking to see if its worth making them more custom made, with already making it so you can name you chara. Shame their still keeping most of the infos in heroes quiet, quite a big surprise for someone so vital in the game, i wouldnt want some ginger stranger doing all my talking :)

Negthareas
03-15-2010, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

Bluecewe
04-03-2010, 12:01 PM
Yes, negative post, had to happen eventually..

Having read that units will be microed not as individuals but as 15 - 20 unit batalians, with one exception being large units such as ogres and the other exception being heroes I have to ask..

How annoying are heroes going to be?

For a human hero unit to be worth-while in an army of 300 men I see only one possibilty. It will be a human who runs around the map single-handely taking on 25 men in a version of reality previously seen only in battle-for-middle-earth and bad Arnold Schwarzenegger movies.

How many hundreds of arrows (no exageration) will I have to watch fly into my enemy hero's back as he cheekily runs away from my army after a one-man raid that leaves two of my batalians lying on their backs?

I hope I'm wrong, but I can't see any other way.

Heroes will probably play a role such as giving global bounuses to your empire, this maybe things like 10% extra gathering of a specific resource or a 25% accuracy increase in a unit's stats, at least i would hope so. Heroes should still be killable when overwhelmed, in most games they should only appear as a "buff" to your forces.

GPS51
04-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Heroes can be killed but we don't know enough to make more accurate guesses. I guess we'll just have to wait it out.

blackfang
04-04-2010, 08:42 AM
Heroes will probably play a role such as giving global bounuses to your empire, this maybe things like 10% extra gathering of a specific resource or a 25% accuracy increase in a unit's stats, at least i would hope so. Heroes should still be killable when overwhelmed, in most games they should only appear as a "buff" to your forces.

Last time i checked the heros were only meant for quest taking and stuff...

welshie
04-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Bascily atm all we know is your hero in battles is your general and in peacful enviroments hes a diplomat/merchant person.

Sharku
04-11-2010, 11:16 PM
I'd rather like to see heroes as a majority were used in WC3, as support units with helpful spells and auras to enhance and help the rest of your forces.

blackfang
04-12-2010, 03:20 PM
apparently they are a force buffer and an elite unit, kill them off fast and the enemies loose try to keep it to the end of the battle:D

Cavalier
07-09-2011, 01:19 AM
Any idea how customizable the player's hero unit is? (ability to name, different armor/weapon styles etc).

Smiles
07-13-2011, 02:50 PM
I like to wait to play the game or even wait till it's out to make a judgement on it. Dawn of ware 2 plays where one units is a group of units and you have one hero. It works out well witch means hero's in this game can work but we just have to wait and see.