PDA

View Full Version : rts on xbox ???

lol129
02-10-2010, 02:31 AM
how the heck do you want to play a rts like this on a xbox i mean theat gos way to slow in comperison with a pc

zach12wqasxz
02-10-2010, 08:22 AM
how the heck do you want to play a rts like this on a xbox i mean theat gos way to slow in comperison with a pc

thats a question thats bean asked and not really answered, all we really know is that reverie isnt even working on the xbox version until the PC version is done. in my persoanl opinion i htink there gonna bag the xbox version and just leave it on the pc, i dont think an xbox could handle this game unless they remove a lot of conetent and smaller unit caps

nickson104
02-10-2010, 08:52 AM
thats a question thats bean asked and not really answered, all we really know is that reverie isnt even working on the xbox version until the PC version is done. in my persoanl opinion i htink there gonna bag the xbox version and just leave it on the pc, i dont think an xbox could handle this game unless they remove a lot of conetent and smaller unit caps

Smaller caps perhaps, or just bigger groups...

It will use the usual stick layout controls.

I think it will do just about as well as any other RTS on consoles, not very...
However, unlike other RTS on consoles, Reverie doesnt have a well known brand name and loyal consumers, it may incur losses. This I think is why they may drop the Xbox version at any point... But then again, it is up to the publisher. By including an Xbox version in their portfolio Reverie is showing that it has possibility to appeal to a wider market and that it may well be worth investing in.

Darvin
02-10-2010, 04:46 PM
You've got two problems with consoles. The first is that the gamepad is horrible for controlling a RTS, and even the best of approaches have only garnered passable performance. The second problem is RAM; consoles have much less of it than a typical gaming PC, and the RTS genre is particularly RAM-intensive, so this can can really hinder the game.

Vimes
02-17-2010, 06:46 AM
I can understand the aspiration but this game, if I get this right, will be client side mostly? If you hosted almost purely server side you could use a framework to allow different clients to connect on the same server but this doesnt seems like that situation. I may be wrong - having thought this through I am going to read more dark dusty corners here.

I know petroglyph and Trion are developing a game on the Trion network and Nice tech, with Time of Defiance, have used the Aliceserver server which also allows multiple clients. Is this the tech DoF will use or was my assumption right that its a more similar model to a boxed release game?

My worry, if right, is that this will be similar to Thief DS(3) which massively nerfed the freedom and immersion to cater to console players. Will the console version have lessflexibility or will the game flexibility be reduced to equalise the experience?

I will state I loathe console games - i find them too pathed to allow for the control limitations, too focused on easy to please experiences and such. But with server side multiple client tech it could be no problem in the future - we will see I suppose.

Thechampio2
02-22-2010, 07:39 AM
You've got two problems with consoles. The first is that the gamepad is horrible for controlling a RTS, and even the best of approaches have only garnered passable performance. The second problem is RAM; consoles have much less of it than a typical gaming PC, and the RTS genre is particularly RAM-intensive, so this can can really hinder the game.

While I completely agree with your statement, the best thing about the consoles is that connection non withstanding, everything is the same. When you're looking at PC gaming, you have to take the whole spectrum of people, from the slowest crawling PC to the super clocked latest ones. As a company it's appealing to create a game with a specific spec in mind and port it to the PC instead of trying to create a game that will deal with a range of computers and port it to a console.

That being said, I still have never played a very enjoyable console RTS, unless you could Civ Revolution. Or possible Starcraft for 64 :P

wills370
02-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Rts dont have the capability for strong rts performance althoug it has been done any strong rts game fails agasint a pc. this is not only due to the console but the interface asweel. To be hounest i see in the future all things moving to the pc as the main console of the house as it is far more able to meed the demand of the games. And there can be both keyboard,joystick and prefered mediem to play with. but untill that day, pc's should be the platform of choce for rts etc

nickson104
02-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Rts dont have the capability for strong rts performance althoug it has been done any strong rts game fails agasint a pc. this is not only due to the console but the interface asweel. To be hounest i see in the future all things moving to the pc as the main console of the house as it is far more able to meed the demand of the games. And there can be both keyboard,joystick and prefered mediem to play with. but untill that day, pc's should be the platform of choce for rts etc

But to keep up with the rising standards of games we would continually have to keep updating our computers, this can be expensive and irritating... Most people get consoles because they are ignorant of the capabilities of gaming on PC's, however others do do so because it is cheaper and due to the masses of console gamers there can be more multiplayer options... Also the controllers make many gametypes easier to play, although you can get joysticks and such for the PC they are additional costs and can be hard to track down...

blackfang
02-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Whats so hard about putting up a mouse and keyboard for playstation or x-box? Also there are certain games that was awesome to control (rts) on my console (ps 3 tough) I play stormrise:D It took me two days to learn how to play perfectly and now i can command an army super sized. It is no problem just get something cool like whip control:D It allow me to put up 5 sniper positions while brining in the heavy stuff to crush any resistance around the corners. However a normal rts view would need one stick to control the camera and one to control the mouse if you use one... I know it can be a problem getting a easy rts game on consoles but don't bother with the small fries that cant learn a game, for instance (stormrise again:p ) Got some of the worst critics, they said it was terrible in every game magazine. I found it cheap at the store and just bought it since i could. I could never have realized when i first tried it that it would be that awesome, i didn't get anything but then after two days devoted to it was enough to learn me how to play online at quite a skill lvl. Now i can compete against middle to lesser pro's, give them a system that they can play but it doesn't need to be easy. It will get fun once you learn the console when no one else can learn it:D I especially enjoy it when i am playing team matches and the other teammates cant play at all. Its so fun to compare on such a difficult console game.

This is my opinion, i normally don't check this part of forum since i only got a ps3 so you don't need to answer:)

Gleem
04-07-2010, 11:53 AM
"You've got two problems with consoles. The first is that the gamepad is horrible for controlling a RTS, and even the best of approaches have only garnered passable performance. The second problem is RAM; consoles have much less of it than a typical gaming PC, and the RTS genre is particularly RAM-intensive, so this can can really hinder the game."

The RAM part of this is definitely a huge issue. As I'm sure the dev team already knows, consoles are built with a vastly limited amount of RAM, the opposing token to this is the RAM is actually incredibly fast (and expensive for comparable sizes of PC RAM).

The direct concern of a console game is for the RAM to merely house everything in the vicinity of your character (because, yes, consoles are designed for character based games, platformers, dungeon crawls, FPS games). Which is also why they're so incredibly fast. As soon as something leaves your general sight or area it drops out of the RAM, and new data is loaded up. You can see this in larger games like Oblivion as things just start popping up into place. The view distance is massive in that game, but what's actually loaded into ram is only in your immediate area.

RTS games require all of your units to be loaded into RAM at once. This is where the PC comes in as superior. With a console it doesn't matter how fast your RAM is.. once it's filled, it's filled.

If you really wanna see this go pick up a copy of Warcraft III. Now start up the map editor and remove the food cost (unit cap cost) of some unit. Now load up your map. Make 500 of those units. If your computer has the RAM you will technically make those units. But the unit AI won't work for about half of them. This is because the game was made and coded for a set amount of RAM. When you step over this RAM threshold you're still capable of making them, but the game no longer knows how to process the additional units.

Negthareas
04-07-2010, 01:02 PM
So true, it is exactly the same with some of the earlier RTS games as well. Age of Empires could only control a max of 200 units per player. Other units would remain inert until the pop went down.

blackfang
04-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Tragic... Truly tragic:(

Raulaun
04-17-2010, 02:27 PM
I believe you can attach a keyboard and a mouse to the xbox somehow, It might not work properly for this game however.

Henry Martin
04-17-2010, 10:32 PM
I believe you can attach a keyboard and a mouse to the xbox somehow, It might not work properly for this game however.

Regardless, you still have to cater to the whole, which is the controller user. One the console you could have the ability to attach the keyboard and mouse, but the whole will still use the controller.

The keyboard would be a small niche market that really wouldn't help sales.

Aelfwine
05-17-2010, 07:53 PM
Regardless, you still have to cater to the whole, which is the controller user. One the console you could have the ability to attach the keyboard and mouse, but the whole will still use the controller.

The keyboard would be a small niche market that really wouldn't help sales.

I dunno... Universe at War and the C&C games werent that bad on the 360.... but I gotta admit... nothing beats using a keyboard when controllng your forces... easier to hotkey and micro manage.

SPARROW94
05-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Awww why the hell does darvin get to be a Moderator and i dont.. :(.. didnt i nominated? :confused:

Valhalla
12-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Download LOTR demo and you'll get use to rts on a controller.

TC_AZZ
12-05-2010, 06:14 PM
RTSs work on xbox that isnt the problem... the problem is an MMO running on Xbox live.... seems to be the hardest thing to do of late

whitewing91
12-05-2010, 08:37 PM
RTS's look as well as PC's, but the only problem is that they are slower to command and build

Nermal
12-06-2010, 01:05 AM
Could be fun using Kinnect to control your units, eventually step in as one of the units fighting :cool:

Angbad
12-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Look at BFME2 on the 360. That game didn't take too long for me to get used to and it was great IMO. Or Tom Clancy's End War

tomche
01-20-2011, 05:49 PM
ive never really been a fan of Rts's on consoles they just seem so slow to play and its hard to manage large armies and cities on them

CrazyMike
01-20-2011, 09:58 PM
I've never taken to RTS's on consoles. Just seems un-natural

akyko
01-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Once this does come out on 360 will there be cross platform access or will you only be able to play with 360 users?

Ya, there is a keyboard/mouse attachment, but are people going to buy it for 1 game? It true the controller makes it pretty difficult to map everything well, but if done correctly it can work another option might be to have a very good remapping for the controller so each person can do what they want for it.

GoGoCactusMan!
01-20-2011, 11:43 PM
I'm actually curious about the 360 version and the idea of cross platform play as well, as I have many friends who play solely on a console that would like to get into a title like this. From what I have played of other console RTS's, they are not terrible, just suffer from a terrible lack of support.

skyhouse71
01-21-2011, 12:11 PM
I was going to ask about cross-platform play too. All of my friends that play games are console guys. However, the chance of them playing an RTS on their console isnt great.

GoGoCactusMan!
01-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Actually guys, just found on another part of the forums that it was the previous publisher that was helping them look into the 360 version, and even then it wasn't slated to really happen till post PC release.

The current stance on the 360 version is that it is a possibility only, not something that is definitely going to happen. :/

Toven
01-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Personally I didn't have any problems playing an RTS on consoles. SupCom on my 360, it actually ran more smooth on that than my comp.

LiTos456
01-21-2011, 02:12 PM
The 360 version (as of now) is no longer planned. Perhaps in the distant future... but it has been confirmed that currently only the PC version is in development.

Commiekaze
01-21-2011, 02:51 PM
The 360 version (as of now) is no longer planned. Perhaps in the distant future... but it has been confirmed that currently only the PC version is in development.

Ahh, I dont see why you would even attempt to consolise an RTS. Many great RTS's tried and failed. The ones that were decent were designed for consoles and still didnt do well (Halo Wars, EndWar).

RTS genre should stay on the PC where it belongs.

DarkMaster
01-21-2011, 03:42 PM
My favourite RTS right now is "R.U.S.E." for the PS3. The control layout IMO is just genius. I've never found any command I want to give that takes me noticably longer than it would on PC. EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING is within easy reach. R.U.S.E. IMO is what a console RTS should be. Perhaps Reverie should get some inspiration from it when/if they port to console.

Then there is the PSMove compatability, which I've never tried, but I hear is great.

Gamerfett
01-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Halo Wars was also a good RTS on the xbox.