PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for less strictness with repeated themes

Pilgrim
02-09-2010, 08:24 AM
I often get the impression that the members, mods and employees who use this forum are very impatient with people repeating questions or topics that have already been discussed.

Now that I've read that Reverie. wants to attract a lot more users to the forum I wanted to suggest that everyone relaxes a bit about repeated topics. There is a limmited number of sensible questions and for a forum community to remain active and healthy you have to let new people have fun discussing things too.

Some people come just to read, but others come to engage and it isn't realistic to expect everyone to want to go trawling through old threads instead of getting stuck in.

Also, topics of more than 3 pages start to get messy and no one wants to read through an entire 4 page topic before giving their two cents. New threads are just good for the forum.

I'm sure there will be people here who are happy to share the knowledge they have gained in the forum with new members, and i suggest that people who don't want to repeat, instead of having a go at new members for not using the search feature properly, just choose not to participate in the thread and leave everyone else to it.

Just my two cents.

Supreme
02-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Normally id scorn you for trying to be the unofficial forum police but I guess this forum has ^ quite a lot so il refrain from doing so this time ;). Only this time though ;)

SvN
02-09-2010, 03:32 PM
I often get the impression that the members, mods and employees who use this forum are very impatient with people repeating questions or topics that have already been discussed.

Now that I've read that Reverie. wants to attract a lot more users to the forum I wanted to suggest that everyone relaxes a bit about repeated topics. There is a limmited number of sensible questions and for a forum community to remain active and healthy you have to let new people have fun discussing things too.

Some people come just to read, but others come to engage and it isn't realistic to expect everyone to want to go trawling through old threads instead of getting stuck in.

Also, topics of more than 3 pages start to get messy and no one wants to read through an entire 4 page topic before giving their two cents. New threads are just good for the forum.

I'm sure there will be people here who are happy to share the knowledge they have gained in the forum with new members, and i suggest that people who don't want to repeat, instead of having a go at new members for not using the search feature properly, just choose not to participate in the thread and leave everyone else to it.

Just my two cents.

Exactly what I've been thinking. the "search for old topics before posting" thing has gone to far.

Darathor
02-09-2010, 05:18 PM
and I suggest
This "I" should be capitalized.
Exactly what I've been thinking. the "search for old topics before posting" thing has gone too far.
It's "too" not "to."
Normally I'd scorn you for trying to be the unofficial forum police, but I guess this forum has ^ quite a lot so I'll refrain from doing so this time ;). Only this time, though. ;)
"I'd" needs an apostrophe and the "I" needs capitalization. A comma before "though" and of course, a period at the end. Also, "I'll" needs to be capitalized, given an apostrophe, and given another "l" to it.

I think this forum has gotten out of control with the laxness that has been thrust upon it's users. I would recommend much more stiff posting rules. The ability for people to ask for information that has already been given, no matter where it might be found, needs to be much more controlled. I don't even have an inkling of why they should be given these incredibly basic rights that make me want to stridently shriek at the stupidity of them.

Kire
02-09-2010, 05:28 PM
What about if there would be created a special sector at forum (just like general chat, suggestions...) for newcomer questions, where they would ask those questions. Tho it will be just like pub ... since there is allowed to post also rubbish/offtopic, so/but here you could post already answered questions. Maybe they would saw someone already asked that question at first page ... =P. And then after a while on top of list could be created topic about most frequent asked questions (also answered there already).

GPS51
02-09-2010, 05:45 PM
And the problem with read the FAQs is? I don't mind if people mildly say "check the faqs." It simply prevents there from being 20 threads with the same starting post. "HI I R NU HERE and have 2 or 3 questions" All of which can be located in the FAQs or haven't been released yet. Bring new people on board but lets not recruit people unable to use basic forum sense eh? :eek:

Konstantin Fomenko
02-09-2010, 06:14 PM
What about if there would be created a special sector at forum (just like general chat, suggestions...) for newcomer questions, where they would ask those questions.

This actually sounds like a pretty good idea! I`ll run this by Alex. "New to DoF? - ask questions here" sort of forum.

Also I do agree we are turning some new fans off by yelling at em for asking questions, and not wanting to dig through the FAQ. I mean really - no harm in more posts.

Negthareas
02-09-2010, 07:37 PM
I think I brought this up before, but I think that it would be good if there were a finalized topic list for newcomers.

I have found that there are lots of things discussed in the threads, especially the older ones. However, a lot of times these discussions do not end with a decisive conclusion and the questions that formed the base for the thread remain unanswered, or at least, answered with "I think" or "We might."

I suggust that there be a particular thread or something where people could enter in a search, and find definite, "this is the way it will be in the game," information. That way they will not have to wander through the forums for a while only to find that their question is not ultimately answered.

Darathor
02-09-2010, 07:58 PM
A new forum section could be cool, it could be a more visible introduction section that emphasizes asking questions if you have any. Not having it under the general section would let more people notice it before they ask a question in the main square.

GPS51
02-09-2010, 08:05 PM
So would the FAQs be turned into a "new member" section of the forum perhaps with links to a sorted list of FAQs so that people don't have to search all the pages but just try their hand at jumping to the questions covering what interests them?

SvN
02-10-2010, 01:41 AM
This "I" should be capitalized.

It's "too" not "to."

"I'd" needs an apostrophe and the "I" needs capitalization. A comma before "though" and of course, a period at the end. Also, "I'll" needs to be capitalized, given an apostrophe, and given another "l" to it.

wait.. you aren't serious are you?

Supreme
02-10-2010, 01:56 AM

It's not that I dont know all this; it's that I dont care. so y do u

welshie
02-10-2010, 03:44 AM
tbh it would be alot easier if u had the FAQ's on an unpostable thread and update it every now and again.

wills370
02-10-2010, 04:55 AM
I think as what konstantin agrees with would be most apropiate we need the boost to activity and having a new comers spread where people can spam questions when they first join before they get to grips of where we at will be ok. :)

Pilgrim
02-10-2010, 04:55 AM
Due to what Darathor posted after correcting our grammar I think he was being ironic rather than offensive. Hard to spot though and I could be wrong :D

I agree with welshie that it would be a little easier if the FAQs were listed ín a non-postable thread, however, to be fair they are all in the first two posts of the thread, not spread throughout the pages between other posts.

I'd like to point out though that this thread wasn't only about going easy on people for not reading the FAQ, it was also, more in fact, about being a lot more relaxed with people asking/discussing things that have been talked about before in old threads.

nickson104
02-10-2010, 08:47 AM
This actually sounds like a pretty good idea! I`ll run this by Alex. "New to DoF? - ask questions here" sort of forum.

Also I do agree we are turning some new fans off by yelling at em for asking questions, and not wanting to dig through the FAQ. I mean really - no harm in more posts.

If my memory serves me rightly, everytime a question has come up, we do give the information, but also give the statement that they perhaps use the search engine next time? Its not as if we refuse to answer...

And to be fair, many forums are that information is given once and only once, this forum is pretty lax.

We arent telling them they have to search, we are asking politely :) I dont mind such topics, especially if they are good topics (unlike, 'Can i haz beta?' type topics) It is a way to revitalise the forum and old topics which are still just as valid now. Some of us are being harsh at times, but it has remained civil and polite, simply suggesting that they search.

And yes, trawling through many pages can be daunting... Try trawling through the 'Official: Races you would like to see' topic... When i was new it was massive, now it is about 100 pages if i remember rightly

zach12wqasxz
02-10-2010, 08:59 AM

ya im giulty of this on a few occasions

and the search bar is sort of ineffective at times, so a "New to DOF" forum would be absolutlty amazing

GPS51
02-10-2010, 10:11 AM
the search bar is sort of ineffective at times, so a "New to DOF" forum would be absolutlty amazing

I absolutely agree with this one! Looking forward to it's creation. Just don't make it a fantasy friday review.

zach12wqasxz
02-10-2010, 11:57 AM
tbh it would be alot easier if u had the FAQ's on an unpostable thread and update it every now and again.

they already have one of those...the new commers never use it

Kire
02-10-2010, 01:40 PM
they already have one of those...the new commers never use it

Maybe should be put also on main site beside forum. Ppl (like me =)) first look main site before proceed to forum if they want to know more. So those ppl could find it there and read it in greater numbers than on forum (since it would be more visible also).

Darathor
02-10-2010, 05:37 PM
I'm sorry that I may have confused some of you into thinking I was merely being sarcastic. I was actually letting the grammar police in me reveal itself through my post. If you can't properly spell or grammartarize a word, I see not why you should be allowed to post in this forum of knowledge.

zach12wqasxz
02-10-2010, 07:58 PM
I'm sorry that I may have confused some of you into thinking I was merely being sarcastic. I was actually letting the grammar police in me reveal itself through my post. If you can't properly spell or grammartarize a word, I see not why you should be allowed to post in this forum of knowledge.

ya thats what pilgrim is talking about, if someone misspells a few words its no biggy as long as the community can read and understand there posts

and the official FAQ's thread should be like right on the home page when you come to the DOF forum...in larger letters and bold than the other sections, that way newcomers will notice it there before anything else

Jean=A=Luc
02-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Newcomers are notorious for avoiding FAQs and search functions like the plague. They'd probably even ignore the "newcomer sub forum" and head straight for gen. discussion.

But ya never know I guess.

Jonathan Werk
02-11-2010, 11:31 AM
How about making the new topic button link to the FAQ for new users *snicker*

welshie
02-11-2010, 11:33 AM
How about making the new topic button link to the FAQ for new users *snicker*

Or maybe it would be better to make a new comer place, then in the threads Put a FAQ then put on various other things that you have put on in your information about the game, IE the races, areas that sort of thing as well as the FAQ

SvN
02-11-2010, 01:45 PM

Why then act like a five year old? Pointing out grammar mistakes doesn't add anything to the discussion this thread was meant for. btw, it's spelled grammarize not grammartarize.

Supreme
02-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Then, according to his own rules, he should stop posting. Bye darathor.

Puppeteer
02-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Calm it, you lot, stop antagonising - all of you. Nothing is going to come from this thread.

Pilgrim
02-11-2010, 05:25 PM
thats rich coming from you.. :p

Darathor
02-11-2010, 06:15 PM
Why then act like a five year old? Pointing out grammar mistakes doesn't add anything to the discussion this thread was meant for. btw, it's spelled grammarize not grammartarize.

Obviously you have never heard of something called me making up a word for use in my over-exaggerated sarcasm.

Swift sword
02-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Huh. Calm it down, guys. No cause for anger or sarcasm.

People post in their own ways. Yeah, it annoys me when I see someone who can't be bothered to capitalize the word "I" or use commas. But we get over it. Everyone misspells a word here or there. And some people don't like to take tons of time checking every post to make sure they didn't post any mistakes. But still, that's no excuse in my opinion.

Back on topic: I agree that we can't afford to drive away potential members just because they don't have my impeccable spelling and grammar :cool:. However, it does get on my nerves when a person posts the same beta question over and over, ignoring the post which answers the all questions about it. I've really liked the idea of posting an "All questions here" thread, to avoid clutter in the Main Square and keep all those repeated questions in a confined area. However, one thing that AoMH has taught me is this-people ignore those threads all the time.

I guess you're right that we need to be a little looser when threads like that pop up, but you can't blame us for getting iritated when we get "wen does te 1st beta start" for the 50th time over. (wen and te were purposeful, by the way.)

Pilgrim
02-11-2010, 06:29 PM
635 posts Darathor.

Something that's a quick laugh for you is highly damaging to the Reverie World Studios team's forum.
Ok, I got your first post, I see the funny side, but why take it so far that you have to force Reverie to bring in disciplinary action and turn their forum into your own playground?

Why couldn't you just let it go when I pointed out you were only kidding instead of pushing people as far as you could for your own amusement?

I'm not the least bit offended by your remarks, but I'm pretty disgusted that someone who has participated as much as you feels the need to damage these guys' forum just for a laugh, and after all their effort to be friendly to everyone.

You've gone stupidly far already and I see you intend to keep pushing and pushing. You owe the Reverie team an appology. You aren't half as funny as you think you are..

Alex Walz
02-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Guys, every time devs are called to the scene, you're taking away more time from development. We do read every post and take your suggestions to heart, but we do not have time to step in and address every comment or for petty arguments like this. I'm not going to mention names or anything, but please just don't post if you don't have anything to contribute. There's no reason to get so worked up over such a trivial topic - take a breather and let things slide. We need all the newcomers we can get, please don't scare them away. Point them in the right direction, but don't criticize minute details.

We will look into the newcomer forum idea.

Joseph Visscher
03-17-2010, 12:10 PM
Replying to just the first post... You guys are way to hard on new people, you welcome them, then yell at them for asking a question that has been answered like 500 threads ago. So what if they ask the same question because ITS NOT THE SAME PERSON and that is the most important thing to remember the next time you punish a person for asking a answered question.
We do not want our welcoming message to be "Welcome, now shut the hell up all of your questions have been answered already." ~ Whats the point of becoming a member?
Another big point is that guests can not use search tool or any of that crap on the top bar, this means answering answered questions benefits guests to the form.