PDA

View Full Version : Hey, quick question:

Abister
02-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Hey, I just have a quick question about the game play.

On the multi player part of this game, does your city/empire/village/what ever its called stay in one physical place? Or do you 'teleport' to your main base?

DarkMaster
02-09-2010, 02:55 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by "teleporting", but each city will be based in a particular region, in which it remains for its entire existence. A number of other players' cities will also exist in this region, whom you can attack (I think) with minimal travel time, since you are essentially in the same place. I hope that makes sense for you. Others might be able to explain it more fully.

massenic
02-09-2010, 03:54 AM
what DarkMaster said...

Also, I think the MMO startups in the media fair are really interesting to get a general idea about the MMO.
Here are the links to that:
- Elven MMO startup: http://dof.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=37&tn=49&st=recent&f=37,49,0,30
- Men MMO startup: http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1023
- Orc MMO startup: http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=968

I'm just guessing you haven't read those yet because you're new to the forums

Pilgrim
02-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Cool Massenic, someone who actually provides links instead of just telling the other guy to go trawl through the forums =)

I once read some along the lines of "usually, people will set up camp outside the town they are besieging, but on other occasions players will take their stronghold with them".
I got the impression that the world won't be all that physical and that when you choose to engage with an enemy the game will just pretend that your civilizations are neighbouring.
I'd love to provide a link, I'll do a search but I can't even remember which section it was in.

Pilgrim
02-09-2010, 08:13 AM
here it is, in the FAQ thread:

Q. In MMORTS when two players fight, does the attacking player bring his Stronghold? Or does he set up some sort of camp?
A. Setting up a camp will be more common, but we will also allow stronghold vs stronghold fights.

http://www.reverieworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509

Darathor
02-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Your city will stay in a single place inside the region that you choose to put it in. Other people will put cities in your region, or one of the other regions that there are. People will always have to go to your city's particular place in the region to trade with you or attack you.

Abister
02-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Oh, this game looks even cooler!

So you meant that you are given a territory, and it will STAY there no matter what?

When I meant teleporting, I meant that you view a list of other players and magicly teleport there, without actually marching your armies over there.

P.S. Does the game have a demo version?

Pilgrim
02-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Its still in production/early beta stage, so no demo yet. I'm not sure whether there will be one or not at a later date.

Abister
02-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Ok.

So wait, is the game supposed to come out in like may or something?

Abister
02-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Another question, (LOL)

Is there still going to be a dragon race? Or was that canceled?

Kire
02-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Another question, (LOL)

They canceled it but maybe will be included in expansion.

Josh Warner
02-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Another question, (LOL)

Due to time and other constraints the dragons were cut for release, but are being worked on for an expansion. Barring far below expected sales, or the end of the world, they're in the works. We definitely want to add them.

Negthareas
02-09-2010, 07:39 PM
By the way Josh, would the Dragon race be on a higher level then the elves - you know - orcs, men, [dwarves], elves, [dragon] - like that? As in they will have more magic, better units, but less population?

GPS51
02-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Meh I'd love to see more dragons and less powerful units~ somewhere in between human and elfl land. Just my 2 cents :)

Darathor
02-09-2010, 08:08 PM
By the way Josh, would the Dragon race be on a higher level then the elves - you know - orcs, men, [dwarves], elves, [dragon] - like that? As in they will have more magic, better units, but less population?

The dragons were said to have the strongest and biggest units in the game. They would have the least population, but would have awesome units. They would have things that would breathe fire or fly.

The game will, I would guess, be released in the summer or fall of this year.

Swift sword
02-09-2010, 09:30 PM
I've honestly never liked the idea of dragos as a seperate race- they just can't have enough variety in units that makes sense. I prefer the typical seperation of infantry, archers and cavalry, but that's just me. I also didn't like the idea of minotaurs because it makes no sense based off what I've learned of them. (mythology) You'd have to bascally re-create all the ideas behind them. The only viable, addable races that make sense are dwarves and (unmentioned, but I'll put it anyways) gnomes (:D Gotta love em').

Dragons, minotaurs and even the other aquatic based race with the weird name, all work better as utility/special units in my opinion. I simply can't get my mind around how you'd make them playable- both dragons and minotaurs have very few possiblities when it comes to unique units, and the aquatic guys are just that-aquatic. Not every map in skirmish can have water, and as mentioned at some point, how would you attack their city in mmorts?

I know some people will disagree with the above thoughts, but I simply had to post it. Heck, if Reverie can come up with a good way to implement it, power to them. Just my 2 cents. ;)

sneaky_squirrel
02-09-2010, 11:29 PM
You have to take drakes into account (Lesser dragons with a more humanoid form).

I like the idea of dragons, epsecially their planned building concepts (On top of mountains).

blackfang
02-10-2010, 01:04 AM
sneaky, drakes are baby dragons. and Draconian are humanoid dragons. Or atleast i think it was draconians.

Pilgrim
02-10-2010, 04:44 AM
Off-topic because the original theme is fully covered:

I never got the concept of the dragon race either. I don't like the concept of 'mass dragons'. I see them too well established as large, hugely powerful, magestic beings. I like the idea of them as a very powerful orc unit or something.

It wouldn't be fair or ballancable for there to be a race of flying units so the idea for the main bulk of units must have been a selection of averagely powerful reptilian units.

That being said, it seems to me like a good opportunity for the Dawn of Fantasy team to create a race of their own and throw it into the mix.

As for gnomes, maybe they are cute but that doesn't mean I'd like to see the little fellas as a playable race. The only reason you see 2 ft gnomes fighting 8 ft warriors in WoW is because blizzard, much as I love them, find things like that amusing.

Dwarves are such a classic fantasy race that I can't help but want to see them included. For me, one good thing blizzard did was prove me wrong and show that you can put dwarven riflemen in the same field as elven archers and actually pull it off without it seeming unrealistic. I think that makes them a perfect option for another race due to unit versatility in the game as a whole.

blackfang
02-10-2010, 08:57 AM
well dwarven rifle men should be given longer range and better chance to kill in one. But lower dmg and the further away the enemy is the harder it should be to hit. Riflemen in this time would be terrible at long range, great at medium and godlike at close, but unable to fight melee. That would make them balanced i guess. Ohh btw the only thing that could balance these guys totally would be FF on:D

zach12wqasxz
02-10-2010, 09:03 AM
ok im upping everyones rep for helping abister with his question, all ur answers were good and i think since we have a rep system we might as well use it

Swift sword
02-10-2010, 05:17 PM
I guess you could use Drakes as a base infantry unit, and maybe some light-weight flying dragons as cavalry (they fly longer and faster than others)
I could probably work out a concept race but the idea of buildings is just strange.
Sorry for getting off-topic, though :o .

Abister
02-10-2010, 09:17 PM
So the games CURRENT release date is summer or fall?

Pilgrim
02-10-2010, 09:34 PM
No official release date. Before, it was either official or very widely rumoured that there would be a Q2 release. I haven't seen this date withdrawn but It certainly won't be that soon.
I would guess autumn, and If I'm wrong them it will be later than that. I kind of hope it doesn't come any sooner. Its not ready yet.

Swift sword
02-10-2010, 09:34 PM
It doesn't really have a release date, but that's how it's tentatively set up. The 1st beta stage is rumored to be starting soon as well, but not 'till March at the earliest.

Edit: Oh, and it was officially claimed to be a spring release. Good that they're taking the time to touch up on features they're not quite happy with. A game that takes longer to release is a better game! Won't end up like Majesty 2 with it's only hope of replayability lying in patches and expansions...

Abister
02-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Another question, (Yes I have read the faq.)

Anyways, can you be attacked while your offline?

Supreme
02-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Nope

(no you cannot)

Does this get me + kudos too?)

Negthareas
02-11-2010, 09:58 PM
Although there has been some discussion about player's being able to attack your city [it being guarded by a hard AI]. When you come online, however, nothing has changed.

The attacker would get the benefits of plunder and bonus points and whatever, but he would not cause any actual effect on you as a player/ city.

Abister
02-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Ok this game just keeps looking better and better!

Thank you all.

Aametherar
02-11-2010, 10:28 PM
You currently cant (as has been mentioned) attack a player offline. As for hard AI defending it, even that is a bad idea. Any experienced RTS player will know that no matter how in depth and difficult an AI is made to be it is still an AI and there are always ways to trick it/find it's weaknesses and exploit them. Even if the defender lost nothing it'd give the attacker something for nothing should they find a chink in the AIs armor, which again as any experienced RTS gamer will tell you, is inevitable regardless of the AI.

zach12wqasxz
02-11-2010, 11:53 PM
u think it would be a good idea to have AI be as hard as the players skill lvl?
so if theres a weak player then hed have weak ai to defend his castle, at least to he improved hid game and so would the AI. and vice versa

Pilgrim
02-12-2010, 07:28 AM
lol, I think it would be a bit offensive =)

Negthareas
02-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Yes - in effect it would be a reward for winning the battle - not defeating the player. I thought that this idea had been discussed in depth somewhere previously. It is probably in Archives. I will try to find it.

I had thought that it had been made part of the game.

Aametherar
02-13-2010, 07:26 AM
u think it would be a good idea to have AI be as hard as the players skill lvl?
so if theres a weak player then hed have weak ai to defend his castle, at least to he improved hid game and so would the AI. and vice versa

The problem i'm mentioning is AI, no matter how well programmed is easily confused (best wording I can think of). If a player finds a trick that confuses the AI (and they always do). Then it makes the battle a free, or easy win for the player, at the very least easier than it should be. At the same time the devs have to find ways to constantly improve the AI and locate these issues. The thing is the more they do this the harder the AI itself gets to the point that players that aren't extremely skilled start having major trouble beating it. At the same time other players will always inevitably find ways to confuse it anyways.

There's also as mentioned different player skill levels, there is just no way to make it fair for everyone by letting AI fight in MMO modes.

I hope that made sense, it's 5 AM heh.

sneaky_squirrel
02-13-2010, 11:47 AM
Unless if the player were offline and attackable (1 hour passed), both sides would be operated by AI, but I think they should start with such an idea later in the game's release, if ever.

Darathor
02-14-2010, 08:51 PM
The AI should never automatically take over the players' armies and cities, as players and the AI are not comparable when it comes to fighting each other. It would be manipulated by people who could beat the AI, to get free loot and influence.

DarkMaster
02-14-2010, 10:27 PM
How about simply automatically generate the results for the battle, based on each player's past performance? That would get past the AI player issue.

blackfang
02-15-2010, 12:49 AM
Ai sucks too much. I mean a player that cant beat easy against a player that can beat hard may be equals in multiplayer.

Aametherar
02-15-2010, 07:34 AM
How about simply automatically generate the results for the battle, based on each player's past performance? That would get past the AI player issue.

The system simply cannot calculate what would happen in any given battle. What if 1 player who loses a ton manages to pull a win off vs a player who wins a lot by some cheap tactic? I know based on experience I would never trust any system to calculate my skill level based on mine and the enemies troops. It simply cannot take all factors into account and will likely more often than not be wrong and skewed greatly in 1 person or anothers favor.

It can't take into account advanced tactics, like the fact that with 10 ogres and 30 archers you can do hit and run tactics on the enemy, while the enemy with 40 ogres (stronger calculated) would be at a great disadvantage. This would be insanely easy to abuse by making hoards of the strongest (calculated) troops and going for Auto-calc wins.

I hope this makes sense it's 5:34 AM <.<

GPS51
02-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Well take heart. The devs have shown themselves to be capable types of fellows. I'm sure they put a lot of thought into this problem. We'll just have to wait and see what they have devised. :cool:

Edit: Will there be giant spider units or ridable spider units? "hopes"

DarkMaster
02-15-2010, 03:27 PM
Not that I've heard of. We have pretty much been introduced to most basic units in the game, and besides I don't think they'll fit into any of the existing races.