PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Friday XII - Unveiling the World Map 2.0

Alex Walz
02-05-2010, 05:39 PM
FANTASY FRIDAY XII
The MMORTS World Map (2.0)

As promised, we have a very special treat for you today - the grand unveiling of a new, fully 3D MMORTS World Map! Why a new World Map, you ask? Well, if you remember our old map (http://www.reverieworld.com/screenshots/Weekly_21/26.jpg), it was 2D, towns were just stamps rather than representational models, and, well... it was boring. So while we are going through and updating many of the art and GUI files, we felt the World Map deserved an update just as well. At first, the plan was just to start from scratch to create a new, super-high resolution map that would have 3D icons, show off more of the terrain, and have show off towns in a more representational manner. Of course this wasn't enough for us, and soon this little plan evolved into a fully 3D World Map, involving the time and skills of half of the studio, with the works - scale models of each town, dynamic changes brought upon by the season and light cycle, swaying trees and rippling water, etc.

Looking at these screenshots, you may start to fear how much loading time an entire world will add to the game in comparison to our old map. But rest assured, that every effort has been made to make it as fast as possible, and in the end, there is hardly any noticeable time difference. The World Map is instanced together with your Homeland so you won't have to keep loading them, and everything on the map is very scaled down - and we didn't just adjust the scale in the editor, we created all new objects with smaller models and textures so they will look the best and take very little time to load.

While it's functional right now, this is still a work in progress as we'll be doing some, mostly aesthetic, additions to it before the beta - such as banners showing the names of the towns and regions, low flying cloud layers, flying birds, traveling trade caravans, etc.

http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff12/screen7thumb.jpg (http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff12/screen7.jpg)

The new world map offers a scale model of each NPC stronghold, your homeland, and the major quest towns and locations you'll encounter throughout your adventure. You will be able to read all about the various locations before sending out an army.

http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff12/screen1thumb.jpg (http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff12/screen1.jpg)

Boasting a brand new interface, the army system works much the same as it did before. You will be able to group your units and resources into armies that you can send throughout Mythador to trade, quest, scout, or conquer. You will also be able to split your armies into smaller armies. Your armies (up to ten) will be represented with a single unit slowly traveling across the map. We also hope to display allied armies (up to 20) and your army camps on this map.

Your armies can set up base camps anywhere on the map (for a small amount of wood and gold). When constructing a base camp, you have the option of no fortification, light fortification, or heavy fortification.

http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff12/screen2thumb.jpg (http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff12/screen2.jpg)

Upon reaching a stronghold, you will be able to choose to enter it or attack it. If you choose to enter, you will only have control over a single unit while inside of that stronghold. This makes it easier to trade as it's not always the easiest parading down a narrow alleyway with siege towers, ogres, and livestock.

http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff12/screen3thumb.jpg (http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff12/screen3.jpg)

When you enter a stronghold, you will be able to head directly to the Goods or Mercenary Market - check out our Markets showcase for more information.

http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff12/screen4thumb.jpg (http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff12/screen4.jpg)

Another shot of the beautiful scenery surrounding Teria, this time with a focus on the great stronghold of Thorndale.

http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff12/screen5thumb.jpg (http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff12/screen5.jpg)

Using the World Map's functions, group your units into armies. In this case, I am sending some peasants with cows to sell at the goods market.

http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff12/screen6thumb.jpg (http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff12/screen6.jpg)

Reflecting the change in season, the World Map is now covered with a thick layer of snow

http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff12/screen8thumb.jpg (http://reverieworld.com/screenshots/ff12/screen8.jpg)

From the populous Dagbor and the dragon realm to the dwarven caves and barren deserts of the southeast, the new World Map shows you everywhere you can venture and while you trek through these vast resources, you will be able to zoom in to see your army on a new, instanced map of the region they are currently traveling through. Happy traveling!

crex719
02-05-2010, 05:50 PM
:-O Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Henry Martin
02-05-2010, 05:50 PM
AWESOME!!! this is amazing. I love the overlay of text/graphics on the water, The fog. I can't wait to see this in motion (it will look way better). This is the best showcase so far in my opinion.

Alex Walz
02-05-2010, 05:53 PM
This is the best showcase so far in my opinion.
We think so too. :)
I'm pretty sure Mr. Kon has been refreshing the page for the last two hours waiting to see this posted and to find out what you guys think of his baby. ;)

welshie
02-05-2010, 05:55 PM
can i marry you lot <3

Konstantin Fomenko
02-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Great showcase Alex!

I got to say this World Map was my favorite project to work on in the past half a year. It did only take us two weeks or so though, almost a shame. It was too much fun to resign my producer duties, and do something I haven`t done in years - completely submerge into our scenario editor and work on the level design for this map (I apologize to our level designers, but I was having so much fun - just couldn`t stop:p).

Although it`s a shame we can`t show this in a high-res video:( These screenshots do look good, but nothing can compare watching it fully animated... Oh well - I guess soon enougth.

And my compliments to everyone involved in this project. While DoF`s visuals are without doubt outmatched by some recent AAA RTS titles, I think we outdid everyone with our world map:)

GPS51
02-05-2010, 06:27 PM
OH WOW.......*picks jaw up off floor* IT's beyond beautiful. I enlarged all but 2 screenies for viewing pleasure. Wow. Can't wait to see it in game.

nickson104
02-05-2010, 06:42 PM
And my compliments to everyone involved in this project. While DoF`s visuals are without doubt outmatches by some recent AAA RTS titles, I think we outdid everyone with our world map:)

Hear Hear!! :)
Guys, seriously... Im amazed... Its amazing, truly... I love it!
It sorta reminds me of a cross between Total War maps and the Mount And Blade map, it seems like you combined the two well :)

But seriously, well done to all the devs working on this area, it is a masterpiece. As im sure, is the rest of the game, so i think i should extend the expression toward all the devs, your amazing and keep up the hard work!

Generation
02-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Beautiful screens I tell you and the graphics look amazing too

Swift sword
02-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Best. Showcase. Ever.
Seriously, this is epically awesome. It's much better than I ever hoped to see. *Bear hugs everyone at Reverie* It's beautiful. Thanks for this, 1000X over. :D :)
Gonna go drool over the pics some more.

Edit: I'm curious- how are you going to show enemy player cities? I know you see like the 5 closest within level range, but I mean the visuals- will we actually see 3d artwork like the npc cities? Seems like it'd be hard to keep a accurate representation updated, so I'm interested in knowing how you plan to do so. ;)

sneaky_squirrel
02-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Nice work on the map, I can't wait to see it on low graphics (I prefer smoothness over graphics).

Henry Martin
02-05-2010, 08:08 PM
While DoF`s visuals are without doubt outmatches by some recent AAA RTS titles, I think we outdid everyone with our world map:)

I wouldn't worry so much for this being your first game. I agree with your world map being the best.

You guys took on a large project. MMOG's are more difficult and a hard niche to get into.

Kire
02-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Wow nice world map =). That map (judging from picture) look so lively, specially with seasons and with those added effect in future will be even more.
Well cant complain about it since it perfect, also i cant say anything else but perfect/beautiful/beyond imagination. I cant also suggest anything since map on pictures is perfect =). So hmm.. what else can i say ... =P, but indeed also interested how would you see other ppl on map.

zach12wqasxz
02-05-2010, 09:15 PM
We think so too. :)
I'm pretty sure Mr. Kon has been refreshing the page for the last two hours waiting to see this posted and to find out what you guys think of his baby. ;)

im giulty of that on a few occasions lol
and yes, definalty the best showcase yet, especially since ive been asking about this for like 8 months and ive finally got an answer! :D
great shots of the seasons and the world map, and even the stronghold
good job reverie :)

The Witch King of Angmar
02-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Neato! Now I'm guessing armies will appear in 3D as well on the map? Keep it up guys.

Thanks

GPS51
02-06-2010, 12:18 AM
There is some resemblance to the TW maps. I like it.

szebus
02-06-2010, 02:14 AM
Really nice innovation, in fact it is the greatest ever map created, but... I'm curious what changes are noticeable on the map ? By this I mean Castle evolutions or new players appearing on the map, on this tipe of map how many player controlled castles are shown in the same time, is there a sort of fog of war ? Fog of war would be useful for the player could see only those player armies what are in range of his units/castle field of view. Really curious how this works. Can a video be posted on how things generaly looks like and works like on this new kind of map ?

welshie
02-06-2010, 03:26 AM
Takes on the map that total series left off with loving it! this alone will attact more peoples!

Supreme
02-06-2010, 04:26 AM
I think we outdid everyone with our world map:)

Certainly.

Though one minor comment, I found it quite odd to put the desert right next the to swamps with no middle ground in between :rolleyes: It shows on the last picture.

szebus
02-06-2010, 05:04 AM
.... , I found it quite odd to put the desert right next the to swamps with no middle ground in between ...

There is a sort of lake/river and some hills between the swamp and the desert, plus it is not on Earth so we do not know this planet's environment. :p

Pilgrim
02-06-2010, 06:38 AM
Amazing. Congratulations. I'm sure images like this will excite the gamer magazines and websites and attract a lot of players.

Kire
02-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Certainly.

Though one minor comment, I found it quite odd to put the desert right next the to swamps with no middle ground in between :rolleyes: It shows on the last picture.

Well you see big hills around .... it is possibly they restrain rain and wetness that comes from west to go further =) and therefore it acomulates there. And also the dry wind coming from south-east (from desert land) cant get there to harm it. =P

Kaznafein
02-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Very nice a tremendous improvement over the old one. good job guys.

LiTos456
02-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Wow guys this is freaking EPIC!!!!
Good job! Can't wait for this game!

Puppeteer
02-06-2010, 12:11 PM
The old map did remind me of the trading screen in Pharaoh; nice to see that it's all been redone to a high standard.

Darathor
02-06-2010, 01:38 PM
I found the old mmorts map pretty cool, but this map, is EPIC! :D

You guys did very well in making it with all the detail and the clouds and the environments! It beats any map I've ever seen before.

You guys just did so very great on this map that words cannot express my glee. So here are these emoticons: :D :D :D

Also, in regard to the desert next to the swamp, there is a mountain range between the desert and the river/swamps, so that could create a rain shadow. AKA: all the rain dissipates while going over the mountains, leaving none or little for the desert.

Josh Warner
02-06-2010, 02:01 PM
I found the old mmorts map pretty cool, but this map, is EPIC! :D

You guys did very well in making it with all the detail and the clouds and the environments! It beats any map I've ever seen before.

You guys just did so very great on this map that words cannot express my glee. So here are these emoticons: :D :D :D

Also, in regard to the desert next to the swamp, there is a mountain range between the desert and the river/swamps, so that could create a rain shadow. AKA: all the rain dissipates while going over the mountains, leaving none or little for the desert.

I really liked the 'real' feel of a parchment map that the old one had, but this is definitely better. We didn't replace the old map because we didn't like it or it wasn't good, just we could have something even better

Justin
02-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Looks really great, well done.

Negthareas
02-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Wow... really surprised and enthused! It is so much better than the old map, so much better that I never thought you would take the time to make something like this!:D This is the best Fantasy Friday.

zach12wqasxz
02-06-2010, 11:27 PM
oh i just realized, you guys should really update the official DOF website with some of the new screenies from all of the fantasy fridays, and definalty include a few from this one as well

Alex Walz
02-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Neato! Now I'm guessing armies will appear in 3D as well on the map? Keep it up guys.
Yup, but they won't be representative models. Armies will just be represented with single infantry units with flags that dwarf their surroundings - two of which can be seen in the third screenshot.

I'm curious what changes are noticeable on the map ? By this I mean Castle evolutions or new players appearing on the map, on this tipe of map how many player controlled castles are shown in the same time, is there a sort of fog of war ?
Well the only player stronghold that will be visually present is your own. It won't change every time to reflect a new building, but we may make a couple additions to add a layer of walls to the model and whatnot, but nothing set in stone yet.

oh i just realized, you guys should really update the official DOF website with some of the new screenies from all of the fantasy fridays, and definalty include a few from this one as well
That's on our schedule for this month. :)
Our webmaster was on leave for a bit, but he's back and we have a couple website updates underway. So hopefully the news module will be fixed momentarily, and then we will add two more pages of screenshots.

Swift sword
02-07-2010, 12:12 AM
So how do you plan to visually represent other players castles/cities? Just a preset of buildings with a few possible updates as the enemy/trading partner levels up? I confess to being curious :)
Looking forward to the website update, it looks a little bad to newcomers seeing no updates for the past couple months.

Tyrael-SF-
02-07-2010, 01:14 AM
Man this is F***ing AWESOME! (excuse my French)

This is seriously amazing guys. Really fantastic to see!

Jean=A=Luc
02-07-2010, 06:38 AM
Outstanding. :)

ash12181987
02-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Well, of all the things that I come back to see, this made the trip worth it. Awesome job guys.

raving
02-07-2010, 05:21 PM
wow, im stunned. beautiful graphics

Tyrael-SF-
02-07-2010, 05:25 PM
Im really curious, how will this work for other players Strongholds? Are ALL castles going to be placed on the World Map per server?

Also regarding Armies how long does it take to get to place to place? And can zoom in on our armies to see them all walking in a formation lol thatd be pretty sick :)

Generation
02-07-2010, 07:45 PM
For army I believe it takes about 5 minutes maybe? and for the castles I'm not sure but I think that there will be limited castles per server

rolzuc
02-08-2010, 04:07 AM
:eek: WOWSOME!!

nickson104
02-08-2010, 05:40 PM
The old map did remind me of the trading screen in Pharaoh; nice to see that it's all been redone to a high standard.

To be fair, Pharaoh was an amazing game... Specially for its time :) One of my favourite citybuilders ever :) And yes those style maps can be really nice, but the 3-D one is pretty damn awesome, and if implemented right will be sheer amazing... If not, im sure it can be fixed :)

Henry Martin
02-08-2010, 09:18 PM
I love Pharaoh and zeus master of olympus.

You could combined the 3d and 2d maps. If anyone has seen the game RUSE(ubisoft). When you zoom out the map its sitting on a table in a command center of some sort.

The map could have been the parchment on a table in a 3d castle chamber. I still love the 3d one and glade it was put into the game. I just liked the RUSE map style when I saw it and hope another game uses it.

http://www.incgamers.com/images/screenshots/13284orig.jpg

DarkMaster
02-09-2010, 02:59 AM
Indeed, this is one of the best showcases ever! I was fond of the old map, but of course this is still a massive improvement:) .

Wow, that RUSE map is awesome! Really thematic and downright neat:) . Never heard of that game, though:(

lol129
02-10-2010, 02:23 AM
it looks reale good in comperison with the old one :D

wills370
02-10-2010, 04:52 AM
Great great job. Looks alot better ever then the TW map which was renowned for a unique and well put togehter map space. Looks alot neater aswell amost like a satalit picture looking down. Really nice details will highlighting be active in this mode? incase somone is hidden in the trees?

zach12wqasxz
02-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Great great job. Looks alot better ever then the TW map which was renowned for a unique and well put togehter map space. Looks alot neater aswell amost like a satalit picture looking down. Really nice details will highlighting be active in this mode? incase somone is hidden in the trees?

ya this map even beats the new empire total war map

GPS51
02-10-2010, 10:13 AM
I like how the cities are 3d and the map also has a depth to it not normally seen on campaign maps. Instead of poky bumps for mountains we have the real mccoy. It's a pleasure to gaze upon. I look forward to tracking all those transient attackers back to their strongholds.

Negthareas
02-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Yeah, it always is helpful when you can see were exactly they crawl back to on the map so you can get revenge for their puny attack.

otomotopia
02-10-2010, 09:24 PM
So on the MMO aspect of the game- what is the system for attacking other players, if every city is instanced?

Andy Joslin
02-11-2010, 07:24 AM
So on the MMO aspect of the game- what is the system for attacking other players, if every city is instanced?
If you decide to initiate PvP against another player (alone or with allies), you would be put into an instanced scenario of their homeland, with everyone's armies spawned around the sides.

otomotopia
02-11-2010, 07:44 AM
makes sense, but can you select the player you attack? Or have a random option? or both?

Alex Walz
02-11-2010, 08:24 AM
You can select or use an intelligent auto-match feature.

otomotopia
02-11-2010, 08:33 AM
excellent! I hope I'm not exausting you with these questions, as I only have one more round ^^

Will there be benifits and drawbacks for attacking more advanced and weaker players? And will we be limited in choosing who we attack manually?

GPS51
02-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Well wouldn't there be a bigger reward for attacking a more bigger/richer/advanced rival then a newbie just starting out?

Swift sword
02-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Indeed-you get much better loot for killing better players. Keep in mind I'm sure higher/more powerful units drop more resources. Who knows what else there is to gain-bragging rights, for one. Also, you can't attack a player that's too much weaker than you are.

Alex Walz
02-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Swift is right. I'm not sure how we will limit battles yet in terms of who you can and cannot attack. Maybe only players with two layers of walls and a fair-sized standing army.

Swift sword
02-11-2010, 04:58 PM
I am? I was completely guessing on the better loot part ;)

Anyways, I'd think it'd be simple enough to control battles/declaration of war. I'd guess you'd have to check that the player has a similiar/close city level and a fair number of troops. And resource amount might be important as well, all things considered. I do wonder how many will show on the map at one time though-early on in the games existence, there'll surely be too many cities to show at once. And, here's a good time to ask something-

What happens if people place a city on top of eachother (same spot) As the game grows I imagine it might happen eventually. Just curious as to how it would show.

Alex Walz
02-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Well not necessarily loot from the corpses, but if you successfully siege a stronghold, you take its treasures.

What happens if people place a city on top of eachother (same spot) As the game grows I imagine it might happen eventually. Just curious as to how it would show.

Impossible. Everything's instanced so there's only one stronghold per map. There are nine different regions where you can build your stronghold, so obviously, they'll be used more than once.

Swift sword
02-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Wait-What I meant when I posted that is that on the world map the player's cities are on top of each other. I understand it's instanced-I just meant the "link" that brings the player to the instance.
Or do I have something confused?

Darathor
02-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Would you not be zoomed in to where the cities wouldn't be sitting right on top of each other, while if you were zoomed all the way out they would be really close together?

HolyPollo
02-25-2010, 12:09 PM
This is really exciting. Do we have the ability to name our own strongholds in Mythador or will they be named for us?

Josh Warner
02-25-2010, 12:19 PM
This is really exciting. Do we have the ability to name our own strongholds in Mythador or will they be named for us?

You name your settlement.

Arctopus
02-25-2010, 03:41 PM
Looks really neat!

metman
02-25-2010, 06:59 PM
Ok will the world map only be used to move troops between sections (places owned by each person) or will it be like the Total War series where you always move troops on the world map besides for battles. Hope this makes sense.

zach12wqasxz
02-26-2010, 12:48 AM
Ok will the world map only be used to move troops between sections (places owned by each person) or will it be like the Total War series where you always move troops on the world map besides for battles. Hope this makes sense.

ya itll be similiar to the total war series, like u can send your troops to do quests and other things, reinforce strongholds etc.

metman
02-26-2010, 12:09 PM
Also will the majority of the game be played on the world map or not?

blackfang
02-26-2010, 02:40 PM
ya itll be similiar to the total war series, like u can send your troops to do quests and other things, reinforce strongholds etc.

However the quests in total war series is almost always take over that city, this game got more variation. Also by reinforce stronghold, dont forget that you cant reinforce them when you need it. Only peace time, its terrible how armies 2 steps away can be such a hippie bunch. Peace we won't get involved:( lost a lot of battles cause of that. I have not really looked into the quests on empire but i am sure they got nothing else then the take a castle or fort kinda stuff... Or perhaps peace or treaties.

Zeluk
03-04-2010, 10:36 PM
Really quite impressive, a big improvement over the 2d map. Since every game in the TW series hold a special place in my heart I have no problem with the map's mechanics. Not to mention that some of the elements of M&B that are shared with it, which is also and excellent game.

DarkMaster
03-05-2010, 12:41 AM
Would it be possible to implement an option of using the 3D world map or the 2D "parchment style" one? As much as I love this one, I can see myself wanting to use the old one once in a while. Face it, maps that actually look like maps are cool:D

Andy Joslin
03-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Also will the majority of the game be played on the world map or not?
You will spend most of your time playing the game in RTS mode.

Would it be possible to implement an option of using the 3D world map or the 2D "parchment style" one? As much as I love this one, I can see myself wanting to use the old one once in a while. Face it, maps that actually look like maps are cool:D
Won't be possible, sorry:)

blackfang
03-05-2010, 11:45 AM

Actually the current map can look like a map too you just color it with crayon and spill a glass of water on it, and perhaps you gotta go out in the backyard and get some rocks. hmmm and also a little sand from the playground down the street. Then you transformed the old map to the new. So basically its still a map but now someone decorated it:D All you gotta do is clean up after all the mess and underneath it is still a parchment:D

DarkMaster
03-07-2010, 03:13 AM
Actually the current map can look like a map too you just color it with crayon and spill a glass of water on it, and perhaps you gotta go out in the backyard and get some rocks. hmmm and also a little sand from the playground down the street. Then you transformed the old map to the new. So basically its still a map but now someone decorated it All you gotta do is clean up after all the mess and underneath it is still a parchment
I really do love forums where people have decent sense of humor:p

MadMan
04-02-2010, 07:16 PM
The new world map is HUGE improvement from the old one considering that it does not take much longer to load. Great job guys :)

jeanlee411
04-25-2010, 03:31 PM
:-O Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AWESOME!!! this is amazing. I love the overlay of text/graphics on the water, The fog. I can't wait to see this in motion (it will look way better). This is the best showcase so far in my opinion.

LoveToKill
05-26-2010, 03:40 AM
uhm honestly this looks kinda small fromthese anglesway to small please tell me there actully huge and can fit a coupleof hunderedeach z_Z

nickson104
05-26-2010, 07:01 AM
uhm honestly this looks kinda small fromthese anglesway to small please tell me there actully huge and can fit a coupleof hunderedeach z_Z

You will only see your settlement, NPC settlements, possibly allied settlements, quest locations and im guessing marked locations (such as a targeted enemy fortress).

I dont know why, I still have a thing for the old world map :) it looks great, so does the new one though :)

Yami-Yagari
05-26-2010, 07:14 AM
I'm wondering. Does the worldmap 2.0 change, like when your doing major deforestation alot, you can see forests dissapear on de map? Would be nice tweak.

LoveToKill
05-26-2010, 10:17 AM
so baseiclyi wont reallysee anyones castleand ill just stumblein the dark to findother players?

nickson104
05-26-2010, 10:39 AM
so baseiclyi wont reallysee anyones castleand ill just stumblein the dark to findother players?

If they were to show all players then:
A. Our RAM's would not cope with it...
B. Would mean each individual player would need an individual location, whereas if they didnt show, they could just slot them in the same location as everyone else is without the player knowing it. Other players that are shown could just be randomly shown on the world map in their related regions

Josh Warner
05-26-2010, 10:49 AM
One idea to make it feel more alive is to allow you to see your friends/clan mates armies on the worldmap, or perhaps we'll have some NPC armies that roam around uniquely for each player. But yeah, showing everyone is just a technological impossibility, I doubt a supercomputer could handle that heh.

nickson104
05-26-2010, 10:54 AM
One idea to make it feel more alive is to allow you to see your friends/clan mates armies on the worldmap, or perhaps we'll have some NPC armies that roam around uniquely for each player.