PDA

View Full Version : Highlighting units

Swift sword
02-01-2010, 09:56 PM
In some of the pictures, I've seen selected units with a white-outline around them to signify that they're the units the player is currently selecting. Are you going to change this to a little circle underneath the unit that most games have, or allow players to reduce it's visibility? I personally think they're ugly, and would like to change it to the norm that RTS's use. If not, I would think I quick mod could change this. Just curious, as they get on my nerves in the screenshots and I think they will in gameplay.;)

Puppeteer
02-03-2010, 02:44 PM
That's quite a good idea; I had noticed the outlines but thought nothing of them! I too would prefer a dainty little circle.

Negthareas
02-03-2010, 06:27 PM
The outlines did look a little, well, strange. Whereas the outlines for AoE 2 were done very nicely [outlnes only appeared when they were behind objects] the ones for DoF were a little accentuated. I think the AoE 2 approach would work better with DoF - highlight only when hidden from view [out of sight] but still selected, and give selected units a circle or health bar when selected and visible.

Josh Warner
02-03-2010, 06:54 PM
In some of the pictures, I've seen selected units with a white-outline around them to signify that they're the units the player is currently selecting. Are you going to change this to a little circle underneath the unit that most games have, or allow players to reduce it's visibility? I personally think they're ugly, and would like to change it to the norm that RTS's use. If not, I would think I quick mod could change this. Just curious, as they get on my nerves in the screenshots and I think they will in gameplay.;)

There are a lot less units in most standard RTSes. Doesn't Total War use outline? Been forever since I've played it so I could be off here.

I do like the way it is right now though, it's very helpful when zoomed out at the maximum. Not really sure if circles would be visible enough. I like the idea of an option regarding how bright or at least an on/off however. It's something I'd have to see in game to decide which I liked more.

Henry Martin
02-03-2010, 07:25 PM
total war series uses a circle under the units.

The outline does look wierd, but I might not look as bad seeing the game in motion. Sometimes screenshots don't do thing justice. I might be the color too, as white might not be the right color to use.

Negthareas
02-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Good points Krabs. Yes, Josh, DoF will have many more units than other RTSs. Maybe when you are zoomed out [hardo to see things] your units will apear shaded [a specific color] - may not be able to tell what unit it is, but will be able to tell it is yours [in contrast with the enemies]. Would that work?

DarkMaster
02-03-2010, 11:57 PM
For the zooming out problem, Star Wars:Empire at War (awesome game BTW) had icons that floated near the fighter squadrons, so it was clear what was where. They also helped with selecting the smaller ships at a distance. I reckon this would be a good thing to use in DoF, as it is very unobtrusive also.

Darathor
02-04-2010, 05:53 PM
If you are zoomed out really far, an icon could be too annoying, obtrusive, and in the way, especially with the amount of units in this game. I believe having circles under them would be better, but then again, I haven't seen the game in action so I couldn't really judge. The highlighting doesn't look the best, I believe that circles under the units could be better visually than highlighting them.

Negthareas
02-04-2010, 06:24 PM
I will agree that the floating icon worked very well in EaW. I just don't think you would be able to see circles though, at least from a distance.

Feweh
02-04-2010, 08:43 PM
I find it makes the graphics look worse :(

Not that im complaining about graphics..

it just looks really gross when you select units

Kire
02-04-2010, 09:41 PM
From my experience in ex games and from thinking .... also like more circless under units.
And pictures in EaW - there is less units to control than will be here and also there you could zoom oout in space battles preety far and those little ships wee little indeed even from closer zoom. But dont think this would work here.

DarkMaster
02-05-2010, 12:10 AM
As I said before, I didn't find the icons in EaW obtrusive at all, but I guess that's just preference. Speaking of which, might DoF incorporate a "cinematic" camera as in EaW? It was often more fun just watching the camera than actually controlling your units :p

Negthareas
02-06-2010, 07:47 PM
The camera was good only if you knew your units had control of the situation. There were times when I was on the camera watching imps get slaughtered, not realizing that they had whole companies attacking my flank. Still, I think an in-game cinematic camera would be a good addition. We should bring it up to Reverie.