PDA

View Full Version : Brand new here:)

nicolelux
01-27-2010, 05:36 PM
So is this game more towards warfare, or can I sit and built cities? I never fights all I do is build build build.... and the city building games seem to never come around... so can I bank on this game?

welshie
01-27-2010, 07:32 PM
well if you wanted to sure, but when people attack you, you have to eaither pay them off or face the conciquences. So idealy yes you can but you better have lots of gold at the ready or good defence force.

Negthareas
01-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I think that that was shown in one of the earlier Fantasy Fridays. The person was playing as orcs and he didn't pay off the or-kings taxpayers. He fought a battle and won, but lost a lot of units. theoretically, Nico, if you started out wiht defenses as your character's trait, you might be able to get away with city building. I used to do that a lot, but, as I played more online, it got harder to do as Human players are pretty smart.:D

Swift sword
01-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Theoretically you can sit around and build away, although being able to constantly pay off people is a bit unrealistic, probably. I've also heard you have minimal control over the placement of buildings in some cases. However, the defensive trait will definitely help you fight off enemies and in some cases you may be able to sit there and laugh while enemies throw themselves at your walls and continue building despite them. ;)

Henry Martin
01-27-2010, 09:07 PM
I think this game is more warfare than city-building. Games that have both of these, one seems to suffer. like mentioned above 2 out of the 3 races have basicly fixed positions for buildig.

I am a big fan of city-builder games and RTSs. When I play a game for the city-building as the focus, the combat is basic. RTSs have base building rather then city building which I would like to see a nice balance between the two in a game.

Here is a good example, if anyone has played the settlers series the game is a city builder. I just got a beta key for the settlers 7 and its mostly about city-building and economy management. It has some combat, but its very basic with focus on a few units rather than an army. You basicly have the attack command and thats it.

Kire
01-27-2010, 09:10 PM
I guess the main part will be in wars (duh =P) and that castle building stuff will be for by the way. You could also play AoE2 as a simcity game but its very limited, so i guess if you wont fight you gona miss 85%(?) of the game possibilities. And as said there will be mostly prelocated locations for buildings so wont be also much freestyle. Sure you could also at Travian just build an grow population and some ppl liked that, so i guess that there might be also here ppl who will like to mostly build and grow (not impossible =)). And this is also more user friendly sistem than travian, you cant get attacked if offline and you can pay your attackers to leave you alone if you dont want to fight and they cant destroy 100% your buildings if you got razed, so just repair and off you go onward!
Just my opinion.

nicolelux
01-28-2010, 03:01 PM
well I don't mind a battle here and there:) I'm playing civ city rome and I finally did the battle part and I enjoyed it, And the more I reserch this game the more I want to play it:) none of my friends know about my secret addiction, so I got to come the these forums to learn about these games:) thanks for you help and giving me some inside.

Puppeteer
01-28-2010, 03:40 PM
I once heard talk of an elusive 'sandbox' mode mentioned in a reverie of thought. Mayhap the devs might enlighten us mortals.

Darathor
01-28-2010, 05:50 PM
You can mostly build up your city and fight only a little if you want to. There will be some people who will attack you and you can pay them off or fight them off. For humans and elves, but not orcs, most, if not all, buildings are preset, but that doesn't bother me much as I am still building a city and a cool one too. :) You can also trade with other players, the npc market, and your guild, if you choose to join one, and also do quests, by yourself or with friends if you so wish. I think that the occasional battle might also make it fun too.

This game is mostly about warfare, but I can see it still being enjoyable if you don't make that the biggest part of the game. While preset building locations don't let you make the city the way you want to, you can still build a cool city and rule with an iron fist and such. :) There's nothing stopping you from playing the game you want to (except the players that want to kill you, but it was already said that you can pay them off or fight them back).

zach12wqasxz
01-28-2010, 07:10 PM
. Mayhap the devs might enlighten us mortals.

all bow down and worship the devs so that they may bless us with information

*zach12wqasxz sacrifices a cow *.......just kidding

nicolelux
02-02-2010, 04:19 PM
So with these set building do you mean they are already there and I can't plan my city? or are they there to start my city? :confused:

Darathor
02-02-2010, 04:27 PM
So with these set building do you mean they are already there and I can't plan my city? or are they there to start my city? :confused:

As humans and elves, you build buildings on preset plots. You will choose from various locations to put specific buildings, like your barracks can go into one of four or five or seventy-two or two places. You won't be able to place your building wherever you want to, but you will have choices as to where you put your buildings.

nicolelux
02-02-2010, 04:30 PM
o.k now I get it:) Got me a lil worried there.... but its gona be a long wait till I have the game in hand! Im thinking im gonna preorder this one:D

Negthareas
02-03-2010, 05:56 PM
As humans and elves, you build buildings on preset plots. You will choose from various locations to put specific buildings, like your barracks can go into one of four or five or seventy-two or two places. You won't be able to place your building wherever you want to, but you will have choices as to where you put your buildings.

It is good that you have some choice - I would hate to have all of my valuable buildings next to my weakest gate and all of my houses inside my citadel.

Aametherar
02-10-2010, 03:49 PM
I'd say as a defensive player and city builder (you) the best option would be to befriend/pay a warmonger (me) who is strong for protection. I have a few friends that play the defensive city builder you mention in other games, they're usually able to live out their lives in relative peace in my back yard so to speak.

Why would anyone attack you if they know they're going to get retaliated on my a war monger who loves RTS fighting? As a city builder it's also easy for you to say oh here have a few resources here and there for protecting me.

In the long run, I think it's better to pay someone for protection than to pay everyone for defense.

GPS51
02-10-2010, 06:01 PM
The mafia strikes again.... :p

Aametherar
02-10-2010, 06:20 PM
The mafia strikes again.... :p

I was wondering how long before someone caught that nuance :P, who are they paying for "protection" from? heheh. But it does make sense for builders, it makes their protector stronger than other people by getting stuff from them and they sit comfy...As long as they don't forget the pay...Then they might be in need of a "visit" know what i'm sayin'?

zach12wqasxz
02-10-2010, 06:41 PM
.As long as they don't forget the pay...Then they might be in need of a "visit" know what i'm sayin'?

haha if someone forgot to pay me id have to send a few million troops to his doorstep, then siege his city, and surround it till he payed up, and then id raise the rent :D

Kire
02-11-2010, 03:53 AM
I say as defender say "let them come" at least i will make money from looting their bodies and lvling up my units, muahahaha =P

Negthareas
02-11-2010, 08:28 PM
A million units would be very expensive and hard to get - but, a million units would also be hard to defeat and loot.

EG - Daghbor was taken by two medium AI armies. I doubt there were more than 2,000 enemy units involved.

Though I understand both your statements were hyperbolies - exaggeration for effect.

zach12wqasxz
02-11-2010, 08:43 PM
A million units would be very expensive and hard to get - but, a million units would also be hard to defeat and loot.

EG - Daghbor was taken by two medium AI armies. I doubt there were more than 2,000 enemy units involved.

Though I understand both your statements were hyperbolies - exaggeration for effect.

ya it wasnt meant to be taken literally

Swift sword
02-11-2010, 08:59 PM
I think "hard" is an understatement there. I think Alex said at one point we could have up to 10 or so 1000 man armies. That's alotta guys. Relive Helms Deep!

I'm not sure paying someone for protection in a game like this would work as well, seeing as if you two could team up on someone, they could team up on you.

Although it's true that you get plots for your buildings, I wonder just how different two human forts will look. I imagine there'll be plenty of major and subtle differences, but we won't know till' the game comes out. One things for sure to me as of now-it's going to be worth the buy. ;)

Negthareas
02-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Yes, "hard" was an understatement - and it was understood as such.

One thing I hope is that Cities will not have a universal weakness [because of buildingplots, etc.]. If such a weakness were found it would effect every single siege battle, to a massive detriment of the game.

In BFME, because of its "plotted" nature, was easy to make pre-game plans as to how you would attack an enemy. In sort, it became "boring" very fast because every enemy had the same setup. Same defense - same attack - same skirmish as the one you played last week - boring.

DOF will be different because of the evolution of the cities. There will be lots of building plots to choose from, not just 8 or 10.

Swift sword
02-12-2010, 03:46 PM
I highly doubt such weaknesses will show up. Keep in mind, we have 5 beta stages in which a thousand or so people will be playing, + the devs themselves. My guess is within that time period, almost any glitch or bug could be found easily enough. Good point though-it's something that should be investigated in beta.