PDA

View Full Version : Battle system? information

VaeVictis
01-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Hi there , i would like to know how the battle system will work ?

like medieval total war ? battle tactics and everything shall be interesting

i miss a lot the strategic warfare from a good build up system to do like battle formation and option like with pike man ( spearwall formation) or the wedge tactics from cavalery , morale from units ?

i must admit i am highly critical and very hard to satisfy for battle system

i have play games like arthur games( from neocore) and the battle system was really unfinish and the tactics .... really poor and not very sophisticated

i anticipated from this game a higher level of strategy than medieval total war2 , the game is 3 years old ... but no games match the finess of the strategic warfare in this game

i hope this game is equal or better from strategic point of view?

anyone one can answer me about it please:)

sorry about my poor english i am a french canadian :P

Pilgrim
01-26-2010, 03:39 PM
People who are working on the game might answer but i predict the tactics will be less developed than in the total war series.
The reason being that total war is a game pretty much based on battlefield tactics, but DoF is a real time strategy.

The RTS - Battle for middle earth - had similar graphics to DoF but the strategic element was still like other RTS games - IE. emphasis on town and economy management as well as actual battle management.

Although i must admit, thats exactly what we RTS fans are after. If the battle tactics are more advanced than usual then i won't mind, but if they aren't we'll still be happy.

Negthareas
01-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Right. I think that Bfme did a good job with formation options. Also, they made the units realistic [aka - cavalry can run over units.]. Some RTS never got to that point - AoE series.

wills370
01-26-2010, 05:39 PM
i miss a lot the strategic warfare from a good build up system to do like battle formation and option like with pike man ( spearwall formation) or the wedge tactics from cavalery , morale from units ?

Yes units will have a strategic menu to which to change there formation, they will also feature a leveling up feature whereby units can have both armour and equipment upgrades and also a leveling feature where units skills can be sustomised including a faster recovery rate, higher moral and higer damage output etc.

i hope this game is equal or better from strategic point of view?

The game will be features on a map that hasent been completed yet but will feature similar to TW series. It will show upto 50 or so close openents to who you may wish to engage either in combat or trade including other players on the mom side style of this game and the traveling army's of thoose

Negthareas
01-27-2010, 12:38 PM
That's good.

Darathor
01-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Right. I think that Bfme did a good job with formation options. Also, they made the units realistic [aka - cavalry can run over units.]. Some RTS never got to that point - AoE series.

The AoE series is awesome, well, maybe not AoE 3. I like how realistic the bfme with cavalry trampling people, but it was also kind of stupid, you could lose a good half a dozen battalions to 1 or 2 cavalry battalions if you didn't have any pikemen. The cavalry just ran over them all and one shotted everybody.

MMORTS mode, you will have a home-city that you build up and create armies at. You can move around the world of Mythador with your army and do quests, and your around your army, or the area your looking at, you will see various opponents that you can fight with your army in that area. You might also be able to see where your friends and guildies are on the MMORTS map.

zach12wqasxz
01-28-2010, 08:13 PM
The game will be features on a map that hasent been completed yet but will feature similar to TW series. It will show upto 50 or so close openents to who you may wish to engage either in combat or trade including other players on the mom side style of this game and the traveling army's of thoose

where did u see this information? ive been following this forum for almost a year know and havent seen anyting about that?

sneaky_squirrel
01-29-2010, 12:05 AM
where did u see this information? ive been following this forum for almost a year know and havent seen anyting about that?

They did say that at one point, I can't prove it (Since I am too lazy to search).

But it was mentioned that for some purposes (Can't remember if it was because of instancing or massive number of players or huge difference in player strength), you would usually only be displayed around 50 guys that you can actually take instead of someone way to easy to beat or someone who is going to rape you.

This is to avoid new people getting raped by old players or being abused to pay resources (To fend off attacks they would never win).

Hope that helps.

szebus
01-29-2010, 04:47 AM
Can't remember if it was because of instancing or massive number of players or huge difference in player strength

Huge difference in player strength, if I remember correctly, plus minus 5 lvl's difference between players on the "same map" .

Negthareas
01-31-2010, 10:59 AM
[QUOTE=Darathor]The AoE series is awesome, well, maybe not AoE 3. I like how realistic the bfme with cavalry trampling people, but it was also kind of stupid, you could lose a good half a dozen battalions to 1 or 2 cavalry battalions if you didn't have any pikemen. The cavalry just ran over them all and one shotted everybody.

I know what Darathor means about AoE 3. 1 and 2 were similar styles of fighting, but 2 was ultimately better. With 3, however, the style of gameplay comepletely changed. Infantry are mostly ranged, buildings are worth very little with cannons, the shipment system was different... I guess I felt it was more of its own game rather than an Age of Empires.

I think the cavalry were realistic - historically, if a cavalry charge hit its target, the enemy would be devestated, but, if it did not, it would get slaughtered. If you have Uruk-hai infantry in block formation [lets say 4 battalions] they would be a match for two battalions of rohirrim, because they would survive the initial charge and then things would be even when it came down to hand-to-hand or hoof-to-hand.

Darathor
01-31-2010, 02:20 PM
I know that people would be trampled, but the momentum would be stopped after the first few guys in the lines, that is if they don't start to run away from the cavalry. AoE 3 was boring because I don't feel like watching lines of people shooting each other with little smoke trails being the only indication that they are doing stuff.

Supreme
02-01-2010, 06:16 AM
Suprisingly didnt like aoe3 either, maybe thats why ^.