PDA

View Full Version : Replays?

Pilgrim
01-22-2010, 06:04 AM
Will you be able to save replays in this game?

Darvin
01-22-2010, 02:05 PM
There is an ancient developer post confirming this feature (I'm talking over a year old) that I cannot find... but the answer is yes.

Pilgrim
01-22-2010, 02:38 PM
ah good, I did try a search for "replays" and thought maybe they weren't included when no threads showed up. Thanks.

HolyPollo
02-21-2010, 08:45 PM
*phew* biiiig sigh of relief here. How does one become better without replays? Since it's an MMO though, I wonder if there is a limit at how much will be recorded. Half hour? Hour? 2 hours? Who knows what large scale battles with multiple opponents could take.

Justin
02-21-2010, 10:28 PM
There is an ancient developer post confirming this feature (I'm talking over a year old) that I cannot find... but the answer is yes.

You can actually remember something like that, im impressed.

Negthareas
02-22-2010, 08:46 PM
Is the replay just for Single player or also for the MMORTS mode?

Justin
02-23-2010, 08:18 AM
I would put the question the other way, most people would be much more interested in having replays against other players rather than single player, and I would assume that by default it probably has both, but I do not remember the mythological post that explains all.

Swift sword
02-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Hm, I think it'd be a little too hard to get in a mmorts replay system I'd just stick with skirmish-it's fairly similiar anyways and would help tons with playing ability as it is.

Arctopus
02-25-2010, 03:46 PM
That's awesome, we will post our epic movies on the internet.
just like on "warcraftmovies.com".

Josh Warner
02-26-2010, 01:57 AM
Hm, I think it'd be a little too hard to get in a mmorts replay system I'd just stick with skirmish-it's fairly similiar anyways and would help tons with playing ability as it is.

I don't work on this sort of thing - but the actual battles in MMORTS between players we could probably use the same system as skirmishes would use. I wouldn't expect replays of doing random stuff on your settlement or worldmap though. Perhaps quests will have the option to save replays, no idea really, but that'd be cool.

The_Biz
02-26-2010, 09:52 PM
would be neat if there was a "take over from here" feature
haven't seen that in replays before.

HolyPollo
02-27-2010, 12:57 PM

Like a highlights reel? That's be really neat. If while you were reviewing your replay you could mark specific parts that are either a really good examples of something you need to do or something you did well. That'd be something I would use often.

Aametherar
02-27-2010, 04:53 PM

I love that idea! It would change the face of the "save game" button. You save a game, it saves the replay and you can start off at any point during it as any player, i'd love it!

blackfang
02-28-2010, 06:45 AM
then you should also have a possibility to take over from after you quit if you did not finish the fight, it would be fun to watch how everything went if you had continued with a replay:D

Aametherar
02-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Yup I agree, it could also be extended to multiplayer battles for people who don't have much time. Both sides would have to agree to continue the battle in the future though, then given something like 72 hrs to complete it.

Swift sword
03-01-2010, 05:17 PM
That'd be a cool feature, if you mean saving a multiplayer skirmish to finish later. Might be a little hard to implement, wouldn't it? If we could just save it on both players files and allow them to host it at any time it might make more sense.

DarkMaster
03-01-2010, 08:15 PM
A "take over from here" feature would be so cool! That way, if you were replaying a game in which you did poorly, you could get to a point which you think you made a wrong decision, and see what would have happened if you hadn't done that! It could also result in "beat these circumstances" dares between players to see if you could get through extreme situations that were failed at before.

blackfang
03-02-2010, 06:30 AM
that could also be a skirmish:D Two players rocks it out through beating the impossibilities that others failed on but saved:D

Negthareas
03-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Awesome idea - almost like a simulator [watch for a bit, hop in when you want to].

Darathor
03-03-2010, 06:27 PM
A "take over from here" feature would be so cool! That way, if you were replaying a game in which you did poorly, you could get to a point which you think you made a wrong decision, and see what would have happened if you hadn't done that! It could also result in "beat these circumstances" dares between players to see if you could get through extreme situations that were failed at before.

A feature like this, quite frankly, would be awesome. It would be great to take over from where you made your first big mistake or just redo that awesome battle with some different tactics. However, how this could be added seems like it would be hard and possibly mind-numbingly tedious.

Negthareas
03-03-2010, 08:31 PM
I think it would be like the game recorder in Age Of Kings - except that you have a "enter game now" option. I don't htink it would be too much to add, esp. as a feature of the expansion.

Darathor
03-04-2010, 06:59 PM
I think it would be like the game recorder in Age Of Kings - except that you have a "enter game now" option. I don't htink it would be too much to add, esp. as a feature of the expansion.

Well I think it would require the game to be saved at every point in the replay so you can jump in at any time while watching the replay. Seems to me that it might make the game you are replaying to possibly be laggy because you are saving every second of the game. I don't know how much memory it would take, though.

Negthareas
03-04-2010, 09:49 PM
In Age of Kings, you could save "bookmarks" or "chapters" into the recording while playing the game. When watching, you could skip to these checkpoints. I see no problem with a similar system being used here. Of course, they would be that every once in a while situation where you are in the heat of battle, don't take time to checkmark, and then make some really bad choices. Oops - going to have to play from the last checkmark [5-10 mins earlier - if you responsibly save it.] Still, If you could rejoin any second of the game, I don't think this would create too much of a lag, if any.

Swift sword
03-04-2010, 10:01 PM
I like the bookmark idea, but in the heat of battle it'd be hard to remeber "oops! better save!" I'd rather they implement a option for saving every 5 minutes during the skirmish so you could at wors have to replay 5 minutes worth before getting to the critical point.

Hate to be the goodie-goodie, but someone should continue this in public suggestions. It's turned into a major suggestion type thread, hasn't it?

DarkMaster
03-05-2010, 12:39 AM
Or perhaps there could be a system that senses major events in the game. ie large battles, significant drops or increases in production etc. Not sure if this would be easily workable, though.

blackfang
03-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Ohh yeah awesome battles appear on the map for you to watch:D That would be like... TOTALLY AWESOME:eek: