PDA

View Full Version : Dawn of Fantasy Cover

Generation
01-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Is this supposed to be the cover for Dawn of Fantasy? Plz tell me it's not because it's too ugly.
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/dawnoffantasy/index.html?tag=result;title;1

Joseph Visscher
01-10-2010, 12:02 AM
Lol, looks like it was made in paint in like 2 minutes... Pretty sure our cover will be better than that buddy, but it wont be nothing fancy.

blackfang
01-10-2010, 04:04 AM
i kinda like it:p Tough it could feature a real huge dragon:)

massenic
01-10-2010, 04:22 AM
It shows a tumbnail of a river through a forest that flows to a city, with some dragons in the air. When I click on it it shows like a cover of a book with dawn of fantasy on it. I guess you were talking about the one I see when I click on the tumbnail.

The tumbnail doesn't look bad (can't see it well though, it's only 100x140 px)

Puppeteer
01-10-2010, 04:48 AM
It looks like someone has just stolen a picture of Gondolin and put it as DoF's box art.

Alex Walz
01-10-2010, 08:44 AM
The thumbnail, not the link, is what we're currently looking at for DoF's box art.

It may change, but this is our working cover.

http://reverieworld.com/departments/marketing/alex/CurrentCover.jpg

Jack
01-10-2010, 09:05 AM
there are as long as i know no dragons
it was a idea but that won't work.
maybe units that use the water in ships in place of dragons
just say something:D

szebus
01-10-2010, 09:29 AM
There will be dragons in DoF, only mercenary dragons, if I remember correctly. About the cover, I really like it, still don't mind if it will change in some ways, maybe there are too much colors.

massenic
01-10-2010, 09:35 AM
I don't agree that there are too much colors... The colors are fine. The main colors are green and blue which are colors that fit together well.

Aametherar
01-10-2010, 10:22 AM
That looks a bit er..how to bit it delicately...girly o.o it's very bright and peaceful looking.

I like the idea of using the book and going all out with the styling on it, then opening the front cover seeing screenies, details etc. But as catchy as it'd be i'm sure that'd cost way too much.

LiTos456
01-10-2010, 10:34 AM
I like it, a lot, I think it'll be really attractive on the shelves.

blackfang
01-10-2010, 10:51 AM
what about adding a small scorched area and what looks like a encampment outside the city? That would make it obvious that it involves war:D

massenic
01-10-2010, 11:23 AM
It would be interesting if the city was under attack. You could add an army storming the gates, with catapults firing at the city walls. Destroyed walls and towers, ...

:p I did a very fast, crapy paintover at the castle which shows some armies which are waaaay to small to take over such a big castle, and a tower on fire. It was obviously not meant to look good but just to show what I mean...
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6156/dofcoverpaintover.jpg

Justin
01-10-2010, 12:13 PM
I think it looks better without the paint over.

Darathor
01-10-2010, 12:27 PM
I personally like it as it is. It could be made slightly more interesting, but it looks nice, and it feels and looks like a fantasy environment. Which is important if your going to have the name be "Dawn of Fantasy."

Puppeteer
01-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Well, I certainly don't like it :p The colours are too saturated for my liking, and the bottom right logo contrasts too much - I'd prefer it if it was on the reverse.
I'd like either the image to be more grimy/grungy, or, with keeping the whole fairy-tale ideal of fantasy, a different image. Something more serene yet with sinister, grounded characters.

Jack
01-10-2010, 01:11 PM
everything can
maybe a round planet with a ffew citys on it an plains with fights
things like that

blackfang
01-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Tough i like the original cover i would also like to see a cover with a castle which is peaceful on one side with trading and all, and on the other side a huge war:D Just like when you choose alignment in black and white 2 botg:p

Henry Martin
01-10-2010, 02:04 PM
I like that fact that its more environmental then character base. Like most american box art that always has one character focus and maybe a few in the background.

I there should be more conflict in the cover as that is the main point of the game. Box art should usually reflect the games theme and gameplay. So I think there should be a large army of some sort, Basiclly what massenic was pointing out. Also like puppeteer was point out the color theme isn't right and that it should be more grungy.

I like what blackfang is pointing out having the castle peaceful on one side of the image and on the over its has more red and blacks for colors with a large army attacking it with damaged walls, fire, and maybe the dragons attacking either the castle or the attacking army.

massenic
01-10-2010, 02:07 PM
I must say that Blackfang's idea is also a nice one.
And as krabs says the enviromental base is something to be kept off course.

Kire
01-10-2010, 04:20 PM
I like colours ... just it needs more details like massenic one did but more =P. And since there will be dragons just as mercenaries its fine if its just 1-2 on picture. And would be nice if would be elements of all 3 civ. not just humans.

Generation
01-10-2010, 04:48 PM
I agree with what Puppeteer is saying and it really does look girly. I think the cover should be the one with the orcs are sieging the human base in that 1 trailer from a while ago. It looks way better than the one right now.

Konstantin Fomenko
01-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Massenic guessed just what we have planned all along! Later this month we hope to create a final version, it`ll be all photo realistically rendered instead of painted, and there will be a really large siege scene.

Darathor
01-10-2010, 09:20 PM
I fail to see how it looks "girly." It looks serene to me, especially if there were no dragons. I'm willing to kick all you pansies's butts to show you that.:D I personally really like it, personally. I mean, personally, it should reflect more of the gameplay, aka a little more war and battle and conflict, but that's just me personally. It personally would look better if, this is just personally, there was a little action in it, just personally that is my personal opinion.

blackfang
01-11-2010, 12:37 AM
Well my personal opinion of the personal opinion that is my personal opinion begs the question, Huh?

Jack
01-11-2010, 08:19 AM
Tough i like the original cover i would also like to see a cover with a castle which is peaceful on one side with trading and all, and on the other side a huge war:D Just like when you choose alignment in black and white 2 botg:p

this one is a good wan for mee
maybe not orgininal because it is used more times but i like it:p

welshie
01-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Covers to me adverage. I prefer the book idea where you can open up the front to see what is install a bit like the WoW game cases, then you start to think of making your fanstasy world just but that aspect. Normal ones just yeh thats a cool game done...

Puppeteer
01-11-2010, 02:36 PM
Well my personal opinion of the personal opinion that is my personal opinion begs the question, Huh?

I think Darathor remembered my rant about the word 'personally' some time ago. I loathe that word.
But I like the word verisimilitude. Mmm, das ist lecker, ja?

Anyway, I didn't say it looked girly. Regardless of the gender-affinity (?), the saturation is still too much for my liking. Not vibrant - it's as if someone has applied a sweeping overlay of a blue/green hue.

blackfang
01-11-2010, 02:44 PM
May i politely ask what the word verisimilitude means?

Puppeteer
01-11-2010, 03:04 PM
I believe this website defines it perfectly:
www.google.com

Hehehe anyway, it's the the appearance or degree of truth. In literature it refers often to reality or morality, whereas scientifically it refers to the replacement of theories with 'more true'/verisimilar theories.
Completely on-topic, no?

blackfang
01-11-2010, 03:05 PM
so you mean if i tell something that is somewhat true yet still false, that would have something to do with verisimilitude?

Darathor
01-11-2010, 03:29 PM
I think Darathor remembered my rant about the word 'personally' some time ago. I loathe that word.
But I like the word verisimilitude. Mmm, das ist lecker, ja?

I did indeed.:D

Verisimilitude seems like a verisimilitude, it's a real word but some people might not think so. They might just think that you just making up stuff to confuse them. But I personally want to get back on topic.

I'm glad to know that you guys are going to add a little fighting into it. Much of this game will be about war and battles, so it's best not to mislead people. Like having the nice peaceful cover without the dragons and then on the back there is an elf getting decapitated with blood spraying everywhere. It might confuse people, or it would show how dynamic the game is, with trading, diplomacy, city building, and warfare.

blackfang
01-11-2010, 03:30 PM
what about making the outer cover peaceful and the inner with a decapitated person, that would surely make a few exchanges:D