PDA

View Full Version : Native Languages/Countries

nickson104
01-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Out of interest, can we form a list here of what peoples native languages and/or home countries are? It would be interesting and informative to see the results :) I have seen a variety of people in my time on this forum, and it would be nice to get to know people more :)

For example I am Welsh and my first language is English

Henry Martin
01-05-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm American so obviously I speak slang, lol (english).

massenic
01-05-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm from belgium (I know theres an other one from belgium, saw it today). I speak good Dutch, English and French, and I can understand German (can also speak it a bit but can't write it)

welshie
01-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Me im a english guy with a welsh heritage just speaking good ol' english.

JDmino
01-05-2010, 07:58 PM
I am Australian so I speak in Australian. I have to use translator google to get my right sentences.:p

blackfang
01-05-2010, 11:54 PM
Norwegian here:) i speak Norwegian if you cannot guess that:p i can also understand quite a bit of German tough i cannot speak the language:cool: Of course i speak English too so i guess that is among the languages:p

Puppeteer
01-06-2010, 03:35 AM
English. I understand French quite well, and am learning Mandarin (spoken, Pinyin).

SvN
01-06-2010, 04:00 AM
I'm from Finland, I speak Swedish, English and Finish.

Kire
01-06-2010, 04:24 AM
From Slovenia here, beside slovenish/slovenian language i speak english, german and latin (not perfect cuz still learning). I was also learning french and spanish but i dont know much atm of them =).

raving
01-06-2010, 05:47 AM
im from belgium and i speak incoming list ><
dutch, english, french, german
and a bit of swedish :D

Jack
01-06-2010, 07:10 AM
From the Netherlands
I can speak english
i have french and germany but i am bad in it :p

zach12wqasxz
01-06-2010, 08:43 AM
Im from the U.S. i speak english and attempted to learn spanish, but i failed due switching schools 3 times in 1 year :(

nickson104
01-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Seeing as everyone else has put other languages they know i may as well put mine :)

I speak a some Welsh, I also speak some French :)
I also aspire to learn Mandarin, Japanese, Swedish, Norwegian and Finnish, sometime in my life... hopefully? :)

Unen
01-06-2010, 11:16 PM
the US (Texas to be specific) and English.

szebus
01-07-2010, 12:25 AM
From Romania and speaking Hungarian, Romanian and English.

raving
01-08-2010, 09:53 AM
dont romanians and hungarians dislike eachother?
remember from wow that the romanians and hungarians where always swearing at eachother :p.

szebus
01-08-2010, 10:03 AM
This is politics and there are some who believe what politicians says about we should hate each other. Sad.

Puppeteer
01-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Why would they hate each other? Is it a historical thing (like the British vs. French), nationalist thing (like the British vs. French) or a proximity thing (like the British vs. French)?

Henry Martin
01-08-2010, 11:35 AM
LOL, hey not all french people hate british. My mom is french and she doesn't have british people.

To go along with that What do non-Americans think of Americans?

szebus
01-08-2010, 11:47 AM
I guess, we can find almost the same social structures all over the world. There are bad or good intended people everywhere.

As far as I now, those two nations hate each other because of the history of Transylvania.

Some says like this:

For historic reasons there is a large minority of hungarian people in romania - both contries have for a very long time been united in the austro-hungarian monarchy (only the part of romania called Transylvania was part of austrian empire) During this time the Hungarians were the one in power and the people in romania the one without power.

During the Nazi Aera hungarian and german speaking minority often cooperated with the nazis against the romanians. Most of german minority left after WW II. But todays sucessful major of Sibiu Klaus Johannis still speak German - some people even want him to become prime minister. Rather cool for someone born into a minority.

Today the hungarians living in transilvania are often looked down upon because of their history. Just like many russians living in former parts of USSR. There are problems with integration of hungarians in society. Hungarians have an own political party which fights for special rights for transilvanya. There are some autonomy initiatives. In 2004 hungaria held a referendum to allow all hungarians with "foreign" cityzenships to apply for hungaria one as well. Hungaria is also a main investor in Transylvania, so again a lot of power lies in hungarian hands.

So it is a mix of historic and every day problems.

Puppeteer
01-08-2010, 12:07 PM
LOL, hey not all french people hate british. My mom is french and she doesn't have british people.

To go along with that What do non-Americans think of Americans?

I hate their politicians and their media. You know that many adverts were shown discrediting the British NHS for its 'evil' ways? The smear campaign included such farcical notions like rationing treatment, an Orwellian financial limit on human life (I mean come on! Really?) and that anyone over the age of 59 is not eligible for heart disease treatments. Senators even proclaimed that if Steven Hawking were British (which he is), and had to have treatment on the NHS (which he did), then he would be refused treatment (on the contrary, all his treatment has been from the NHS) and that he would be left to die (despite the fact that he's far outlived the original prediction for his death due to the NHS).
It's a wonder anyone even believes it! The media/senators may be patronising and vicious, but if anyone even believes one iota of it they're brain dead.

szebus
01-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Hatred is all around us and it is because of human nature, we can't accept that others can't accept or opinions, or something like this, but not only, even in Down of Fantasy, there will be hatred, power, the fight for supremacy will make enemies. After a period of time, some will say, (for ex.) if you join the Humans and you are in a specified region, then you are an X kind of people and if you are with the elves in an other region you are a Y type and stuff like this because it is easier to judge stereotype then other ways. It is in our human nature and it is one of those lots of thing that makes us running and evolving, maybe.

Supreme
01-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Thats bull. If im in a game with someone I can have fun losing or winning and still respect my opponent.

Besides stereotypes come from somewhere, and that somewhere is usually right.

What do non-americans really think of americans? Over the internetz their largely considered as ****y-know-it-all-people. But yea, brazilians suck at gaming due to not being able to speak english (or are very very good, theres no in between). Russians are nationalistic pricks. Brits are similar to americans but drink tea. French are weirdo's. Scandivians...i like scandinavians..dunno. But we all hate the americans.

Oh im dutch. :)

blackfang
01-08-2010, 02:11 PM
well we Scandinavians are pretty much above average, i mean not to brag more like we play more then others. In Norway for instance it is always cold outside sometimes its not cold enough to make us stay inside but more often then not it is cold, or rain. Thus it is a must for every teenager to play games all day and you are addicted when you reach adulthood, all my friends are at my gaming level... And i consider myself good when i can snipe people on the other side of the map of some css game with a M16, and just about all my friends are better then me in close combat. Tough i always win in sniping they almost every time manage to hit me once or twice. Then again it may be only me and my friends that are as good in different games (especially css) since we did enter a tournament and came pretty close to winning:D Anyway that is probably the main reason Scandinavians think they are above average, they play all the time till they learn it automatically:p Also to reach the type of skills i had 2 years ago i have to train again since it is 2 years since i played:p Starting again now tough:)

Also to another point, Scandinavians are also very adept at english just because of the points i mentioned above:) We are perhaps the nations with the most addicted gamers/people ratio:rolleyes: Altough i dont really know i am just guessing:p

Supreme
01-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Might be true but im pretty sure the most % of people with internetconnection is us ;)

nickson104
01-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Everyone is self opinionated, whether they notice or not... it may be a negative or positive opinion but they still see themselves as better in some way, human nature dictates that we must be THE BEST at something... our pride wont allow otherwise...

Americans are in general quite ignorant and arrogant, however there is a minority that are amazing people that i am glad to have met :)
Brits i agree can be no better at times, but we do not have the masses that americans do so it is much less effective...

I love scandinavians, i have met several and have grown to like all of them, and as i said, i aspire to learn their languages...

Kire
01-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Well if this gone little offtopic... let me add something about brits. I once went to a trip to ireland and there were people nice, very friendly and everything was fine ... then we got to northern ireland (british part ofc) and ppl there were totally different. Those ppl were really strange and a lot more unfriendly .. some teens were showing us their naked asses when we were driving with buss =P.
This is interesting how things change on same little island just across the border ....

So i wont just judge others will say how ppl think of us. There is a region in our country that is called Gorenjska and ppl that live there (also me) are supposed to be very greedy =) and there are jokes about us just like the ones about blondes =P. But ofc we arent greedy at all =P (not more than usual).... at least most of us as i see.

Henry Martin
01-08-2010, 03:50 PM
WOW, but than agian I expected these responses. So what most of you are trying to say is that we are the self-centered, stuck up and ******ed member of the world.

It doesn't help that we have people like Paris Hilton and george bush repersenting us:confused: .

Hey we are making a change. It took awhile, but we now have a black president:D .

blackfang
01-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Well like i have said to my parents many times, he will end up getting shot by a fanatic KKK member... Seriously!

Negthareas
01-08-2010, 04:51 PM
I am Irish, and there are lots of reasons for differences between North and South Ireland. Lets just say that the Brits wernt too nice when they took over, and the Irish had a lot of reasons for starting the Irish civil war. Thankfully, they got independence of most of Ireland [except for the north]

Puppeteer
01-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Besides stereotypes come from somewhere, and that somewhere is usually right.
You could not be more wrong.

I am Irish, and there are lots of reasons for differences between North and South Ireland. Lets just say that the Brits wernt too nice when they took over, and the Irish had a lot of reasons for starting the Irish civil war. Thankfully, they got independence of most of Ireland [except for the north]

Yep, I agree with this sentiment, although the Irish aren't saints themselves. De Valera did terrible, terrible things in the name of independence. That's one of the only situations which, in my eyes, discredits Lloyd George - he sent in the Black & Tans. Thank God that conflict is over now, and we can support each other in Eurovision :D

Kire
01-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Thank God that conflict is over now, and we can support each other in Eurovision :D

UK has always sucky songs there ... =P

Aametherar
01-08-2010, 07:02 PM
I'm from the US and I speak all three of these languages which are all native to my country.

English
Bad English (not to be confused with broken English)
Genuine Frontier Gibberish

Supreme
01-09-2010, 02:21 AM
You could not be more wrong.

Your arguments have convinced me, wait, what?

nickson104
01-11-2010, 01:36 PM
UK has always sucky songs there ... =P

So true... The Scandinavian countries are always some of my favourites... Although i did really like the Latvian entry 'Wolves Of The Sea'

Where there are people, there will be conflict. By nature we are hostile, by nature we fight, through nature we wage war...

massenic
01-11-2010, 01:42 PM
So true... The Scandinavian countries are always some of my favourites... Although i did really like the Latvian entry 'Wolves Of The Sea'

Where there are people, there will be conflict. By nature we are hostile, by nature we fight, through nature we wage war...

Wow. I actually listen to another version of that song, without knowing the original came from a lowly contest as the Eurosong...:eek:

Liljagare
01-11-2010, 02:19 PM
Swede here, speak Swedish, English, German, Spanish, Catalan, Andalusian Portugeese, Italian, I can understand French, Norwegian (almost cheating), Danish (very hard, it's almost like guttural gibberish to my ears!) and Polish (grandma from Poland).

(Yes, I travelled alot, and am a Sherry junkie.. :P I also eat too much Iberian ham! I luv irish whiskey, hate bourbon.)

I also have had the luxury of living in the great country across the great pond, so I'm also fluent in frontier talk (Amerikan!)... I found Minnesota to be a hilarious place (jaa, jaaa, jaaaa!) Sorry, I didn't really like country fried steaks.. fried mars bars are disgusting.. muahahaaaa.. :D

Kk, sleep time!

blackfang
01-11-2010, 02:58 PM
you got the same ear as me for danish, tough i do have problems understanding Swedish too i somehow get the key words in every sentence:)

Henry Martin
01-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Swede here, speak Swedish, English, German, Spanish, Catalan, Andalusian Portugeese, Italian, I can understand French, Norwegian (almost cheating), Danish (very hard, it's almost like guttural gibberish to my ears!) and Polish (grandma from Poland).

(Yes, I travelled alot, and am a Sherry junkie.. :P I also eat too much Iberian ham! I luv irish whiskey, hate bourbon.)

I also have had the luxury of living in the great country across the great pond, so I'm also fluent in frontier talk (Amerikan!)... I found Minnesota to be a hilarious place (jaa, jaaa, jaaaa!) Sorry, I didn't really like country fried steaks.. fried mars bars are disgusting.. muahahaaaa.. :D

Kk, sleep time!

Hey whats wrong with Minnesota:confused: , I'm from Minnesota. First off country fried steaks are not form here (from the south, but still good). Secondly why the hell would you try a fried mars bar (I was born in Minnesota and never ate one:confused: ). Thirdly we are known for our hot dishes/casseroles (which are f'in nasty:mad: ). Forthly at the state fair you can get anything on a stick:D .

See what you did, made me use those damn faces lol.

Puppeteer
01-11-2010, 03:32 PM
I'd be jealous of the alleged linguistic-fluency on this forum, except I'm learning Mandarin so I'm satisfied. For now!

blackfang
01-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Forthly at the state fair you can get anything on a stick:D .

isnt that like... inappropriate or something? Just kidding:p

Henry Martin
01-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Really inappropriate. I don't go to the state fair.

Sorry for going off topic.

blackfang
01-11-2010, 11:53 PM
hey now i was just kidding:p

sneaky_squirrel
01-12-2010, 12:01 AM
English and spanish, from US, live in Mexican side of the border.

:p

Liljagare
01-12-2010, 05:57 AM
Hey whats wrong with Minnesota:confused: , I'm from Minnesota. First off country fried steaks are not form here (from the south, but still good). Secondly why the hell would you try a fried mars bar (I was born in Minnesota and never ate one:confused: ). Thirdly we are known for our hot dishes/casseroles (which are f'in nasty:mad: ). Forthly at the state fair you can get anything on a stick:D .

See what you did, made me use those damn faces lol.

Hihi, country fried steaks are a pun at TN, fried mars bars at another place..

I didn't mean that about MN! :)

*boing* *boing*

/Lil

welshie
01-12-2010, 06:02 AM
Hihi, country fried steaks are a pun at TN, fried mars bars at another place..

I didn't mean that about MN! :)

*boing* *boing*

/Lil

Fired mars bars = Scotland... they will do anything for a lump of fat

blackfang
01-12-2010, 06:22 AM
Why would they? does the women in scotland go after fat?

welshie
01-12-2010, 06:25 AM
Why would they? does the women in scotland go after fat?

i ment as in high in fat foods. i think its coz its cold up there they need the extra insulation to stay warm over the winter months but god knows....

Liljagare
01-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Fired mars bars = Scotland... they will do anything for a lump of fat

Yupp! Though, I actually had my first taste in London.. :D

Can we say, Y-U-C-K! Or, why does my heart feel so funnie? :)

welshie
01-12-2010, 01:54 PM
i thought they taste lovly! but thats coz i have a sweet tooth

nickson104
01-13-2010, 05:11 AM
I love how delightfully random this conversation is becoming :) it is starting to become a true off topic conversation :)

I agree puppy, there seems to be so much fluency in this forums, whether real or not, it shows that we are quite a talented bunch :) :p

By the way puppy... as an off topic consideration, do you like the nicknname puppy? I know its short for Puppeteer, but puppy is a bit weak right? It is a soft, cuddly name... whereas being the puppeteer, gives you massive power, massive respect (especially in comparison to a helpless puppy)... random? XD

Also, fried chocolates are mainly from scotland yes, i would never try one although im told they can be very nice... Most scottish woman are a healthy size, they are big, but not overly so... However many are just average... :)

blackfang
01-13-2010, 06:29 AM
Well i live in Norway, and i... guess i eat much too:p however i dont really grow much:confused:

zach12wqasxz
01-13-2010, 07:43 AM
I love how delightfully random this conversation is becoming :) it is starting to become a true off topic conversation :)

I agree puppy, there seems to be so much fluency in this forums, whether real or not, it shows that we are quite a talented bunch :) :p

By the way puppy... as an off topic consideration, do you like the nicknname puppy? I know its short for Puppeteer, but puppy is a bit weak right? It is a soft, cuddly name... whereas being the puppeteer, gives you massive power, massive respect (especially in comparison to a helpless puppy)... random? XD

Also, fried chocolates are mainly from scotland yes, i would never try one although im told they can be very nice... Most scottish woman are a healthy size, they are big, but not overly so... However many are just average... :)

wait, when you say scotish woman are big, but not overly so, do you mean like the American guy thats 1500 lbs and they gotta knock down half the house just to get him to the hospital?

and fried chocolates? never heard of them, but i would try them if i ever got the chance

welshie
01-13-2010, 07:46 AM
nah some girls in scotland are jaw droppingly stunning tho... but fired mars bar wont taste like a mars bar but i think its nice but cnt have more than 1 for a whole week because there quite sickly :)

Puppeteer
01-13-2010, 09:35 AM
Puppeteer, Puppet, Puppy, Pup, Mr P. - I don't mind, as long as I can tell that you're talking to me!

nickson104
01-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Puppeteer, Puppet, Puppy, Pup, Mr P. - I don't mind, as long as I can tell that you're talking to me!

P - Diddy? :p Nah... :p
Think we may stick with puppy, you are our adorable little super-moderator who will looke after us and show us all love and compassion XD :p lolol :p

Supreme
01-13-2010, 11:26 AM
Peepee?

((())))

EmpressHebihime
02-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Well, I am orginally from Japan but guess I am more swedish now that I've lived most of my life in sweden. I speak ofc swedish, english and suprisingly very little japanese.

ash12181987
02-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Lets see, I'm American. More specifically I am from the south, Thus I am fluent in English and Amerikan.

And, Aametherar, it's Authentic Frontier Gibberish. Or is Genuine Frontier Gibberish an offshoot of that?

yneternum
12-05-2010, 03:31 AM
I'm from spain... spanish, english, portuguese...

oddi74
12-06-2010, 11:28 AM
i'm from norway. speak norwegian and english

and a small bit of spanish. just simple stuff.

Polan
12-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Poland, first laungage: polish obviously. But due to similarities I'm able to understand a bit of most slavics laungages like russian(can't read!),czech etc.

shawnchi
12-06-2010, 06:36 PM
I'm kinda diverse... My Parents are from Taiwan, I was born in Los Angeles, My first language was Spanish, but I live in China. I speak English as my native language, but speak Chinese with my parents. I completely forgot Spanish when I moved to China 9 years ago, and I am currently re-learning it. :\

KonstantinDK
12-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Russian. Graduated from USA college and now back here.
It's FREEZING! :eek:

atom11
12-07-2010, 02:56 PM
I am from Czech republic. So I speak Czech and little bit Engish xD.

lukas90lca
12-08-2010, 09:02 AM
I am from Poland, main laungage: polish but I can speak english too ;>

Elkoremarr
12-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Denmark anyone from i am on Skype Elkoremarr
if you Like to chat about this game

alpha30ns
12-08-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm from America and I speak AMERICAN!.... lolz no I speak English.. but i do think one day american will be its own language consisting of mostly redneck words that have absolutely no meaning.... wait that kinda already exists.. :D .... I also know some Spanish

bdco
12-08-2010, 04:09 PM
I speak Turkish and English =)

GeneralFredrik
12-11-2010, 07:08 AM
I am from Sweden and I speak Swedish (duh) but I also speak English, Norweigan, Danish, Spanish and a bit of German. :p

haski12
12-11-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm from Croatia but i live in Germany so i can speak the croatian and german language.

Luka_Sonik_23
04-11-2011, 12:16 PM
I'm from Italy and I speak Italian, English and just few words of japanese! ;)

Macchiavelli
04-12-2011, 03:18 AM
I'm italian so i speak italian,english and a little spanish

Arcand
04-12-2011, 09:06 AM
Ooohh Canada!
Our home and native land!
True, Patrid love,
And other stuff like that!

Fedecap
04-14-2011, 07:09 AM
I'm form italy!!!

VikeS
04-14-2011, 11:14 AM
My native language is Slovak. But I also speak English,German and Hungarian :P

Skooma
04-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Hello! I'm from belgium, my native langage is french, I can communicate in english, spanish and dutch.

Nonam123
04-16-2011, 12:53 AM
I'm from Germany and big surprise my nativ language is german :)

clarkie32
04-20-2011, 04:00 PM
I'm from England and I only know English, but I would like to learn German or Italian one day.

Spiritraiser
04-26-2011, 02:01 PM
Hey,
I am from Greece so I will sound... all Greek to you! :p

Anyway, obviously know English (even teach English currently) and learning Spanish as well.
See you around aaaaand.... this is not Spartaaaa! :D

NomadSoul
04-26-2011, 04:46 PM
hoi :p Im from Malta my main language is ofc Maltese (its a language based on 3 other languages mashed together hehe (languages are : English/Arabic/Italian)

I can also speak English and Italian quite well.But im always interested to learn other languages ^^

click0230
04-27-2011, 03:37 PM
I am from Serbia, my native language is Serbian :P