PDA

View Full Version : Which RTS will it be most like?

Dark Humbug
01-04-2010, 04:42 AM
So far I've got the impression it is inspired by RTS's like Warcraft, but were there any others?

I know there are quite a few Age of Mythology scenario scripters, but have you incorporated elements of it into Dawn of Fantasy?

Jean=A=Luc
01-04-2010, 05:26 AM
Warcraft, rly? I'm thinking Stronghold. :)

blackfang
01-04-2010, 06:48 AM
i would believe some kinda Rtw with expanded options:) But i really think it is up to the player what it will be:P

Jack
01-04-2010, 07:15 AM
the real rts game is i think total war
you have units and you have to use them on a good way
better than stronghold, that is more a buildinggame

blackfang
01-04-2010, 07:22 AM
maybe a combination? i mean you build at the home front and thus get a giant city (or at least a not so small castle) and then you go out and have to play strategically:) of course you have to place things strategically in your base but thats what stronghold is about, attacking and defending castles:)

Darathor
01-04-2010, 09:40 AM
I was thinking that it was similar, but not really inspired, by bfme and bfme2. I also think that age of empires might have inspired some parts. It bears some similarities with warcraft 3, but DoF has wall building and much, much larger armies.

blackfang
01-04-2010, 09:50 AM
not really "wall building" more like wall customization:) you can not build a wall however you like only from a selection of walls, is what i heard till now... But you can build towers or whatever you want, everywhere you want:)

Konstantin Fomenko
01-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Our design philosophy from the start was to combine the best elements from the most popular RTS games of the past decade.

WarCraft III, Medieval: Total War, Stronghold I, Age of Kings, Empire Earth, Civilization III, Battle for Middle Earth I, Saga, Dreamlords

blackfang
01-04-2010, 10:52 AM
medieval total war Ohh thy cruel fate, thy enemies dies at thy gates, ohh what a massacre. Its awesome how enemies never pass the first wall when i play:D

Darathor
01-04-2010, 04:31 PM
not really "wall building" more like wall customization:) you can not build a wall however you like only from a selection of walls, is what i heard till now... But you can build towers or whatever you want, everywhere you want:)

The thing is, Warcraft 3 has no walls whatsoever to be built. DoF does, and orcs can build wherever they want, including walls.

Darvin
01-04-2010, 07:08 PM
In practice, you could use your basic structures as walls in WC3. Most buildings, like farms, were so tough and cheap that they fulfilled the function just fine.

I'd say that this game most closely resembles the Age of Empire series than anything else.

Jonathan Werk
01-04-2010, 07:35 PM
You can draw some parallels with the age series, but DoF gameplay is vastly different from Age gameplay, and very likely vastly different from most other RTS's (but Age is what I've got the most experience with).

Being an MMORTS with a persistent world changes everything - you don't start every game with a town centre and three villagers. That is a much bigger difference than the gameplay mechanism behind building walls.

Darvin
01-05-2010, 05:39 PM
At this point, you haven't sold me on MMORTS, so I may very well be playing skirmish anyways.

Jack
01-06-2010, 07:06 AM
Our design philosophy from the start was to combine the best elements from the most popular RTS games of the past decade.

WarCraft III, Medieval: Total War, Stronghold I, Age of Kings, Empire Earth, Civilization III, Battle for Middle Earth I, Saga, Dreamlords

i think from these things:
WarCraft III - Heroes
Medieval: Total War - units
Stronghold I - Walls
Age of Kings - ??? i don't know
Empire Earth - i think special unit upgrades
Civilization III - don't know
Battle for Middle Earth - moving on wals (that is why i played it:D)
Saga - don't know
Dreamlords - don't know

I think that these things are one of part of gameplay from the games i know:)