PDA

View Full Version : Auto scout butten

Sauron_9Gods9_Ldr
12-21-2009, 12:48 AM
I was wondering if there will be a button in the game called auto scout where a unit explores the map. If you are going to have this feature that would be so helpful. So I'm asking will there be a button or not?

Jack
12-21-2009, 06:24 AM
i hope so
it would be handy too if there are scout units for each race
all bad of course because els you would have a army from fast, strong and skilled scouts:D

zach12wqasxz
12-21-2009, 08:55 AM
I was wondering if there will be a button in the game called auto scout where a unit explores the map. If you are going to have this feature that would be so helpful. So I'm asking will there be a button or not?

it would suck when ur scout stumbles into a orc horde camp,......bye bye scout :D

GPS51
12-21-2009, 09:24 AM
Haha yeah but then you know just where that horde is. I hope they put an auto explore button in. I loved that feature in RON.

bikkebakke
12-21-2009, 09:30 AM
it would suck when ur scout stumbles into a orc horde camp,......bye bye scout :D

well there is a possibility that they put som AI on the scout, so if he spots enemy troops he runs the other way... It doesn't have to be the very intelligent scouts that empire earth have.

**Oh look this is a new place, oh look new place again, oh another new place, oh look I haven't seen this person before, whats this long sharp thing you are pointing at me? Is it a welcoming si - splatt**

Darathor
12-21-2009, 10:57 AM
While an auto explore button would be useful to some, I wouldn't use it much, I prefer to follow my scouts progress rather closely and send them where I want them to go. I don't think that I would click a button that made them just run around looking at stuff. I like to do it precisely. It's not really necessary, you can do it by yourself fine and wouldn't be too hard, just click ctrl or shift, depending on the game, and tell them to move to a bunch of places in the minimap, would do about the same thing.

Sauron_9Gods9_Ldr
12-21-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm just asking because if the maps are massive like somewhere in empire earth it could be really really helpful or couldn't be helpful (ect walls forming a border in the center or something) but yeah i would find this useful if your trying to like make your economy like in games like aom and then you gotta tell your scout what to do just wastes time.

Joseph Visscher
12-21-2009, 11:03 AM
Sauron_9Gods9_Ldr I will have to disagree with this entire feature, because this is a skill that players learn to become better at. Noobs do not scout the map, Pros/Hardcore players do and therefore know whats going on and can act upon it; A pro would scout his Orc enemy and see that he has 12 Warg Pits, and this pro would build +30 anti-calvary Halberdiers to slaughter the incoming Wargs. While the noob would not scout and gets pillaged and burned by a mass of hungry Wargs and Slayers.

No I think this feature will be made only for AI. It is to overpowering to the new player/lazy player.

Jack
12-21-2009, 11:05 AM
it would be cool if that scout unit has a intelligence that if he spot a camp
he hide his self and than i take a few minetes and after that he has a report of the enemy camp and comes back

Puppeteer
12-21-2009, 02:37 PM
I loathe automatic systems, where the AI takes care of the fundamental actions which are key to determining a player's skill. In my books, scouting is one of them. As is auto-retreat, unfortunately I think you're adding that in :p Auto-scatter troops, say from a volley of arrow, is fine by me though!

Jack
12-22-2009, 05:20 AM
one Question
when will be the last time that you can play and look at the preformance before the realese
i have forgotten:p
and if it is late, is there a other way to play it faster than the last Beta

Just to know

Kaznafein
12-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Ya I don't think this should be an auto feature. Should be something you get better at.

Darvin
12-22-2009, 07:10 PM
I myself am currently playing Sins of a Solar Empire currently, which does have an auto-scout feature. Using that as the basis of my perspective, I have mixed feelings about it, and I think Joseph's knee-jerk reaction is off-base.

First, auto-scout features are highly inefficient. Even given a random map, I can usually infer where to send my scouts and how to fan out to cover the maximum amount of area possible. The AI auto-scout invariably does a lot of backtracking and may leave several blind spots very close to home.

Second of all, unless your goal is just to uncover broad details, you need to pay attention to your scouts. Someone who just turns on autoscout may know where the enemy's base is, but is unlikely to uncover much in terms of useful details just by looking back later. You cannot replace directed and purposeful scouting with broad auto-scout.

Thirdly, auto-scout tends to get the units killed... often.

I usually use a mix of auto-scout and manual scout. I use auto-scout to keep tabs on a large area of the map. Although not efficient, I can count on a sufficient number of scouts buzzing around to stumble upon enemy expansion in remote locations. When it comes to actually watching the borders for enemy encroachment or viewing what they're building back home, that really needs to manual scouting and auto-scout just won't cut it.

I believe that auto-scout is a good feature that can and should supplement manual scout. I think JV is off-base because he views it as a replacement for manual scout. Players who view it as such are going to have vastly inferior intel, so I don't see any issue whatsoever there.

Kire
12-23-2009, 04:07 AM
I share same opinion as Darvin also .... auto scouting like that doesnt hurt and still 'pro' can do it better with manual one. But i never scout =P, thats boring. But it would irritated me if someone would do 99999 scouts and put them on auto scouting =P and then would be scouts everywhere x.x

Jack
12-23-2009, 04:38 AM
but that's why the scouts have a report
if they are at enemy base or anything that is from a enemy, they make a short report and warn that the scout is nearby the enemy and will keep distance