PDA

View Full Version : Elves and their walls

Kire
11-20-2009, 06:41 PM
As i saw some pictures (especially the ones of elvish towns - new ones) i saw something rather disturbing =P. Since we all know elves live with nature so they use trees for houses, making animals as friends etc.. And than i see walls....., on pictures there is area and trees rounded with walls but if there wouldnt be walls we wouldnt even know that there live elves. So it looks like that walls are guarding planted trees that are looking as any other tree around . But that is not problem since the elves live with nature and they just blend in ... the problem is that walls look so unnatural.

Here is my suggestion what kind of walls elves should have: The look would be like a cliff/rock/stone risen from the grounds and its also little covered with grass and earth. And than the stone curve himself to form towers and other defenses. Since its just a rocky natural wall its borders would not/could not be straight and same everywhere. So the wall should be very strong since it would be made of solid (one) rock.
This would be possible since elves live with nature and they are the best magic users.

I hope you understood what i ment. The walls that are now looks also too much humanish. So what do you think ppl?

Espadachim
11-20-2009, 06:51 PM
As i saw some pictures (especially the ones of elvish towns - new ones) i saw something rather disturbing =P. Since we all know elves live with nature so they use trees for houses, making animals as friends etc.. And than i see walls....., on pictures there is area and trees rounded with walls but if there wouldnt be walls we wouldnt even know that there live elves. So it looks like that walls are guarding planted trees that are looking as any other tree around . But that is not problem since the elves live with nature and they just blend in ... the problem is that walls look so unnatural.

Here is my suggestion what kind of walls elves should have: The look would be like a cliff/rock/stone risen from the grounds and its also little covered with grass and earth. And than the stone curve himself to form towers and other defenses. Since its just a rocky natural wall its borders would not/could not be straight and same everywhere. So the wall should be very strong since it would be made of solid (one) rock.
This would be possible since elves live with nature and they are the best magic users.

I hope you understood what i ment. The walls that are now looks also too much humanish. So what do you think ppl?

I think that the walls are fine. A rockwall raising from the ground doesn't look too interesting for me. Sure, it would make some sense into elves having such walls, but I really think that it would be too, errm, rough.

Blatant7
11-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Yeah, and it would hurt the poor Elven toes.

Alex Walz
11-20-2009, 08:17 PM
The Elves do have natural palisade walls for small camps:

http://reverieworld.com/departments/marketing/alex/palisade.jpg

But even if their buildings blend into the trees, their location will be found sooner or later and when that time comes, they will need the hardiness of a strong, stone wall if they want any chance of defending themselves against siege warfare. The Elves are known for their wealth and architecture - which is shown in their great walls.

zach12wqasxz
11-20-2009, 08:26 PM
can those palisades be caught on fire? and other human and orc palisades? also i think alex has a decent idea, i think to make the stone walls more elf-like at least add some shrubbery and weeds and stuff in the cracks.

Darathor
11-20-2009, 10:28 PM
The walls already look like they have a few vines and plants on them. I do see one point I believe Kire was making, the walls do look weird because there are so few elven buildings that you can see. It looks like the walls are surrounding a few trees sometimes. It looks fine really to me, though.

wills370
11-21-2009, 06:27 AM
Hmm intresting idea although i believe for the amount of other worth it would cause. E.g. making the siege engines hit the walls and seige ladders lean up agaisnt them from what your proposing with the uneven levells it would be hard to do. also the troop movement may be affected if they have to scrabble around some moss covered defence so it would look i believe anyway unrealistic as a fortification. I like the essence of the idea though so if the elven walls did contain more vines/ lichen etc to make it look more earthy it would be a good comprimise.

Jean=A=Luc
11-21-2009, 07:30 AM
I've no problem with elven walls. There's no need to always fully go with the stereotypical "wood elf" theme. Tolkien's Noldor elves, for example, were great craftsmen with interests in metal/jewel working, mining, stone architecture, etc.

I'm really annoyed with the modern conception of elves who tend to look like nothing more than a combination of Robin Hood's merry men and Ewoks. There's no reason for nature and advanced architecture to be mutually exclusive. The ramparts on elven walls look like leaves and blend pretty well. Maybe they could use some more moss...

Andy Joslin
11-21-2009, 08:17 AM
In normal gameplay, it is easier to tell that an elven building is a building, and not a tree. The camera is much more zoomed in and some of the elven buildings are even animated (visual FX/lights).

Kire
11-21-2009, 08:45 AM
0I've no problem with elven walls. There's no need to always fully go with the stereotypical "wood elf" theme. Tolkien's Noldor elves, for example, were great craftsmen with interests in metal/jewel working, mining, stone architecture, etc.

I'm really annoyed with the modern conception of elves who tend to look like nothing more than a combination of Robin Hood's merry men and Ewoks. There's no reason for nature and advanced architecture to be mutually exclusive. The ramparts on elven walls look like leaves and blend pretty well. Maybe they could use some more moss...

I am not saying that it should be robing hood stile .... =P, but combination of that nature and walls just doesnt fit right together... rather give it more natural look or more stoneish one. That wall doesnt reflect any of their other tipe of architecture =P. Its just a black sheep amongst white ones or banana amongst apples ... or (the best one) human amongst dinosaurs - which cant be/fit =P.

Of argument that they are well craftsman and designer also so that natural wall wouldnt reflect that .... so they can also decorate and polish some parts of wall (maybe golden strings on towers and gates or polished part of walls and golden picture on it). They can also add beautiful marmor tower which would look like it burst/grow from the rock.

Nice picture bdw .... but that cannot be elvish wall (palisade*) ... cuz i see trees that are dead/cut down around =O .... and hope Andy Joslin have right or i could not know what is a tree and what is a house (joke) =).

edit: fixed the number of =)/=P/=O stuff
explanation: sorry i write them in reflex x.x

Puppeteer
11-21-2009, 12:43 PM
I :-) think =O that -_- the :[ walls >=) are ^_^ fine :'(.
Kire please don't use so many emoticons, parsed or non-parsed.

Joseph Visscher
11-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Elven walls are Marble, Jean is right in that these are Revere's Elves and do not correspond to any other Elven realm. I do respect your idea though, a Greener wall is a good idea, more vines, moss, etc, but the thing is gameplay wise is the marble wall completely resists wildfires, having more flammable greenery would realistically increase the flammability; beside the fact that Elven Marble walls are one of the strongest type of wall in Mythador.

Espadachim
11-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Maybe a bit off-topic here, but each wall are made by different materials? If so, what are these materials?

zach12wqasxz
11-21-2009, 10:54 PM
i think it would be cool if the elves grew there own walls, out of giant trees, like the ones that surround there cities, that way you could have strong, even, and earthy elven walls. and when they got damaged they could just regrow, that way elves woudlnt need stone, just lots of miracle grow!

wills370
11-22-2009, 04:22 AM
Elven walls are Marble, Jean is right in that these are Revere's Elves and do not correspond to any other Elven realm. I do respect your idea though, a Greener wall is a good idea, more vines, moss, etc, but the thing is gameplay wise is the marble wall completely resists wildfires, having more flammable greenery would realistically increase the flammability; beside the fact that Elven Marble walls are one of the strongest type of wall in Mythador.

The moss is a sponge like plant that retains alot of water same with lichen in some respectts so it would be quite fire resistant anyway and would have a low burning tempreture so wouldent gain ever enough heat to affect a wall or other structures. Could be a really nice feature if there is like a small fire agasint the wall or smouldering as that would be more the case. As the wall is left bare after (back to its marble self) could watch it grow back after time etc.