PDA

View Full Version : Epic Mission

zach12wqasxz
11-13-2009, 11:54 AM
hello everyone. i have a question about the games online mode. will we be able to work together with allies and do certain extrememly hard quests?( id like to call them Epic Quests, or Epic's), designed to require like 6 players( just throwing the number out there) to all work together for a common goal, and for mass reward. i dont know about you guys but i think it would be awesome to work together with my freinds and beseige a HUGE impregnable fortress. obviuosly this would reqiure a lot of units on the map at once, and larger sized maps, but do you guys think this would be possible and or have anything similiar to this planned? sorry if there was a post previous about this, i made a quick search of the forums and didnt find anything. i think extrememly difficult challenges in games that require cooperation are extremely fun.

Puppeteer
11-13-2009, 01:01 PM
*Epics
No need for the apostrophe :p
I certainly think the fortress idea would be possible, with the very open map editor. Whether Reverie decide to dedicate to such mini-epic-quests for the official release, that's another matter of time and resources.

Andy Joslin
11-13-2009, 02:56 PM
This would be possible. It is not planned at the moment, but our MMORTS plans once the storyline tales off are kind of grey at the moment; we'll see what we end up doing (we'll probably end up adding miscellaneous quests less connected to the story, maybe some of them of this type).

Josh Warner
11-13-2009, 03:11 PM
*Epics
No need for the apostrophe :p
I certainly think the fortress idea would be possible, with the very open map editor. Whether Reverie decide to dedicate to such mini-epic-quests for the official release, that's another matter of time and resources.

I've thought a lot about a way to make a large fortress with several players per side work, it's certainly doable. Dunno if we'll make it or other things happen though.

Swift sword
11-13-2009, 06:19 PM
Sounds like a good idea, the only thing is those type of quests might get boring after awhile.
Now, throw in a smaller fortress with a group of super-buffed units and 4 players trying to take it down...that would be interesting.

However, I'd rather see an offline mmorts or more work on online mmorts territories and cities before putting something like this is.

Good idea, but it needs more development.

Puppeteer
11-14-2009, 04:26 AM
Alternatively, 4 players have their own squadrons in a castle and have to defend against AI. This certainly would require teamwork (and justify the use of VOIP)!

The Witch King of Angmar
11-14-2009, 07:55 AM
They could each also start in a certain section of the city and would be able to defend certain areas of it divided amongst the players.

Puppeteer
11-14-2009, 11:12 AM
I did consider that, but then I thought instead of distinctly partitioning the castle, let the players decide. That way teamwork and intuition is paramount to success. They can assign themselves to sections, if they like, or let anarchy rule.

Argargeroth
11-14-2009, 04:13 PM
I think the co-op concept would be more subtle and implied in a game like this.
From what I've seen so far it's like the old-time game of "Knights of Honor" but in multiplayer form. I don't think there will be MMO quests where you and three random players will co-op. But I think you will have the ability to forge alliances with players and go romping around dishing out punishment and taking names:)

The Witch King of Angmar
11-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Personally, I think the highest ranked or most skilled players should claim the most crucial points.

LiTos456
11-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Sounds like raids in MMORPG's (which I never got to play in Lotro because I quit just before I was able to :().
Pretty cool, I hope to see some cool interesting things like that. There really needs to be "business" in the game for high level people that got clans/groups/friends/contacts and things like that. You know, we'll be them players dominating the lands while noobs scurry around :)

Espadachim
11-16-2009, 10:02 AM
Getting buddies to help you destroy an huge fortress, which they outnumbers you in a 3:1 situation? Looks funny at all. Especially the smirk for winning in an extremely difficult situation. :D

zach12wqasxz
11-16-2009, 04:19 PM
i guess what i kinda meant about all this is a little something extra in the game to really put your brain to the test, i want something so hard that i would have to put weeks into thought of my strategys, build order, unit training, things that only a hardcore, extremely skilled and smart player would be able to accomplish, not to mention the fact that i will hve mandatory allies ( of my choosing, that way i can get a group of skilled players ) helping me/and vice versa every step of the way. the seige of the huge fortress would force all of these things to come together and build a great community of skilled players willing to work together and help other people. so i personally think this is a great idea, and if possible i will try to implement this in the game editor...if possible, unless you guys do something similiar

Espadachim
11-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Weeks? Hmmm, I like a good challenge but a challenge that takes weeks to bypass and requires friends would just make my neurons fry.

I think that your epic meant a titanic-uber-difficult-godzilla-challenge, while mine just meant very hard. :p

I think that good challenges are ok, but something that takes weeks to solve is just boring and perhaps frustating for me.

zach12wqasxz
11-16-2009, 07:36 PM
yes you are absolutly right about the weeks of planning only to get your butt powned by the AI. i guess the weeks thing was a bit to long, more realistically id say about....2-3 days to coordinate your strategys between you and your allies and then actually succesfully complete the quest

Espadachim
11-17-2009, 10:57 AM
That's the thing. If it's challenging hard, it's ok, but frustating hard isn't so ok. ;) Two days of preparation sounds good enough for me. :)