PDA

View Full Version : What do you feel is most important in a game?

Joseph Visscher
10-30-2009, 10:12 AM
What do you think will most keep Dawn of Fantasy's population alive and growing for years to come?

Gameplay: The way you play the game and game elements you influence or get influenced by? Some people think that gameplay is the greatest over all elements that make up a game. Is it? Why isn't it? Post why you think it is or isn't the greatest game element.

Graphics and Physics: Graphics are what you see in the the game, most graphics try to mimic real life, Physics are game elements that can be influenced, such as a ball rolling down a hill or a wall being blown into a thousand peices ingame; Do you think Graphics and Physics are most important in this modern age? Is it? Why isn't it? Post why you think it is or isn't the greatest game element.

Modding, Community, Custom Usermade Maps: Some people look back to Warcraft 3 and still see a blooming community due to many amazing multilayer user made maps. Give the people the power! Do you think mods are really that important, above most other things in a game? Is it? Why isn't it? Post why you think it is or isn't the greatest game element.

Story and Immersion: the story of the game, what cause do you have to play if there is no background on what you are doing. Some people think that some of the greatest games failed because they had a bad story. Do you agree or disagree? Is story the most important game element? Is it? Why isn't it? Post why you think it is or isn't the greatest game element.

Sounds and Voice acting: Some games have absolutely stunning voice acting and sounds which adds to your immersion of the game like you where right there. Do you think it has a major roll in making a game great? Is it? Why isn't it? Post why you think it is or isn't the greatest game element.

No Flame Wars(debating welcome), respect opinions and debates.

LiTos456
10-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Gameplay.
MMORTS mode fits into that category and thats what 99% of the community is here for.

Henry Martin
10-30-2009, 12:42 PM
I think that's a hard question as each of those have a place to make a good game. I know most people are going to say gameplay which is true but there are some of these things that if missing can brake a game. Like immersion, a game could have great gameplay, but if you can't get immersed into it you won't play it. Graphics too have their place whether people want to admit it or not. Graphics are not just the prettiness, but also the detail that game has to make the environments believable. Also sound and voice acting you will know if there is bad voice acting and can hurt a game. If a gun shoot and doesn't sound like a gun or at least what you think it should sound like is bad.

So I'm going to go with "other" and say all of these have there place to make a great game and not just one can make that game great.

Jean=A=Luc
10-30-2009, 02:17 PM
Gameplay and immersion for me. I'm too lazy to elaborate right now but those are the two core things any good game should have covered imo. Of course immersion often depends on graphics, sounds, etc. so it spills into the other options but I don't believe top-notch graphics are required for good immersion.

Heroes of Might & Magic 2 for example is very, very old and "out-dated" by today's standards but it's a game that still "feels" great and gives you that warm & fuzzy feeling when you play it. It's also more pleasant to look at than many of the newer games.

sneaky_squirrel
10-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Gameplay above all, gameplay is what makes something fun.

This is followed by the community.

Story.

Graphics.

And finally the not needed but "would be nice" voice acting.

You mess up the gameplay, you have ruined the game.

Supreme
10-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Should have a several option thing. Its gameplay but a good story doesnt hurt either. After that its graphics/modding on a shared third and then sound. (Not that it doesnt matter it just matters least for me, though that might be because I prefer my RTS games with a little music :P)

Damnit didnt read the post above me which sais pretty much the same thing, oh well! :P

wills370
10-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Gameplay is the most important aspect of a game. If you dont have that then the game isent worth playing. PEople will be far more forgiving of all other aspects of the game. If gameplay is good.

Kire
10-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Story is the most important .... tho as already said before ... i play wow just because of lore even if is soooo boring as it is atm =). So gogo storyline !!
(second and third is at same place .... graphic and gameplay - cant play great game with sucky graphics (the nice models of soldiers are the most important =P))

DeusVult
10-31-2009, 12:24 AM
Gameplay... Community will gather around interesting gameplay, modding, and making even own story of the game

The Witch King of Angmar
10-31-2009, 10:35 AM
Gameplay.... bam.

Darvin
10-31-2009, 04:12 PM
Oh boy... tough call between gameplay and community/modding. Like forcing me to choose between my right and left hand. Sure, I'm right-handed so the choice is obvious (for me, gameplay), but I can't imagine the game succeeding without both.

For me, I'm not particularly stoked for the MMO aspect of this game. The RTS side looks extremely promising, but I've yet to see any "hooks" that interest me in the MMO side of things. Persistant kingdoms on their own don't move me in the slightest; it's a persistant and malleable world that I want, and if that's not there then I have no interest in this component of the game.

Darathor
10-31-2009, 08:47 PM
I agree that having an mmorts with a persistent world that you could actually help shape would be awesome,but I still love how DoF's mmo mode is looking. I chose gameplay because I'm looking forward to the mmo and skirmish modes mostly.

Puppeteer
11-01-2009, 05:37 AM
I can't imagine this game succeeding without any of them.
I voted 'sounds and voice acting', to raise its awareness - bad voice acting and bad music absolutely ruin a game for me.

nickson104
11-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Gameplay, hands down... Followed very closely by a good story...

No-one likes to play a game that is awkward to play and is a chore... However not many people like a game that has a weak or non-existant story...

Here is another lecture from a series i have previously refered to... And i think it describes the problems of stories in games lately...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jdG2LHair0

Stories are important in making a great game, however some of the best are being wasted though due to the lack of publicity about such games...

Puppeteer
11-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Is this in context to Dawn of Fantasy, by which I mean is it where Reverie wish to focus their resources on in the foreseeable future?

Andy Joslin
11-01-2009, 11:55 AM
This doesn't necessarily represent how we'll focus our resources.

The_Biz
11-02-2009, 05:52 PM
gameplay for multiplayer

but for single player games where it's just multiplayer with a crappy AI, then story matters more

Josh Warner
11-02-2009, 06:14 PM
heh, should have been multi choice pick 2-3. One sided poll is one sided. Some interesting responses though.

fyro11
11-02-2009, 06:58 PM
1. Gameplay

2. Story and Immersion

3. Graphics and Physics

Modding, albeit game-changing at times, is a mod, whereas it is crucial for the actual game to lead by example.

Josh Warner
11-02-2009, 08:56 PM
1. Gameplay

2. Story and Immersion

3. Graphics and Physics

Modding, albeit game-changing at times, is a mod, whereas it is crucial for the actual game to lead by example.

There are games that stand almost entirely on their user created content. WCIII is a great example of a wildly popular game, that honestly the standard gameplay wasn't very good for the time. The campaign and level design for that was top notch, and the universe was interesting and well crafted, but the gameplay itself was nothing special. It's around today because of it's modding community and to a lesser extent it's franchise being owned by blizzard.

That's certainly not what we're going for here - but I wouldn't dismiss user created content at all. A solid multiplayer lobby/netcode etc and a powerful editor add quite a lot to a game's longevity, if you make something that people want to create their own content for - you have a goldmine. Another absolutely astonishing example - Little big planet's user created content. That game had hardly any game time shipped, but even with only a tiny fraction of the user created stuff being good there's so damn much of it that the odd gem here and there, ended up creating over 10x the AAA levels the game shipped with.

Tyrael-SF-
11-03-2009, 03:32 PM
The way the MMORTS is sounding, id have to say Game Play. Im only buying this game for the MMORTS it has caught my attention severely and now im hoping for a beta invite or even the release date haha.

On a serious note the MMORTS looks fantastic the interacation within the world is somthing that ive always wanted from an RTS game but had never received it.

I think graphics is another thing but i read in a forum that you guys are using low Poly's. And it was said you were going to use higher levels which will make a massive difference. So after reading that its not much of a concern.

But overall, the MMORTS reminds me alot like Travian lol, which is awesome.

Tbeaz161
11-05-2009, 09:58 AM
I think its a mix of game play and story. I cant choose :p I was happy when i saw the MMO entries in the media fair, Like the elf MMO and Man MMO. It looked great but i was glad to see there was actually story in it, I thought mmorts was just gonna be build up your castle and hit ppl, im glad to see i was wrong and i cant wait for this game!!!

Darathor
11-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Yes, it's very nice to see that they are adding a lot of depth and lore to the mmorts world via quests. I'm glad that the only thing occupying your attention won't be just build and conquer.

Swift sword
11-05-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm going to have to go with user-content/mods here...

Mostly, I'm going with this because I've seen it before, with a game called Age of Mythology. The game has a fairly open editor, is about 8 years old, and still Age of Mythology Heaven is active.

Kaznafein
11-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Okay first off what got me looking at this game was the persistent online world which I think would go under gameplay not sure but I've always wanted a game like that were you continue to build your kindgoms and others do to around you. Other then that the storyline is important to me, games with good storylines get me hooked even if its not the most important thing. The storyline is something that is more of a thing that is really needed but not though of by players as very important but is truly is a make or break feature.

Another thing that I really like in games is stat tracking always fun to compare yourself with others especially freinds and see whos doing the best in diffrent categories. A good ranking system is always a plus preferably with (name rankings) you can get creative with this in fantasy settings but for example your in a certain tier,(your skill level construed from your stats) general or major etc... . Always good to have names assigned with the ranks possibly badges people can see.

Good graphics are nice to have but not neccesary for me to like a game.

Kire
11-06-2009, 06:41 PM
I was thinking.... and changed my mind =P. I also think that gameplay (but graphic should not look stupid at least =P) is the most important. The thing why i changed my mind is aoe 1/2 > any warcraft game with their story anyday!!!! I wish DoF become modern AoE 2 =) (in line of success as aoe did and not that it should be like aoe).

treelin
11-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Im going to be doing the MMO part 100%.... Soo i cant really vote for modding or custom things hehe :D

Darathor
11-16-2009, 06:58 PM
I personally believe that it boils down to this, personally.

Gameplay: This encompasses everything, campaign, skirmishes, and mmorts mode. It is of utmost importance that this is gotten right. Otherwise it has to fall back on modding and map making which wouldn't be as great as having just plain great gameplay.

Graphics and Physics: This is rather important. You want to get physics right and have good graphics, but they aren't paramount. Great games are boosted by great graphics. However, great games can still have bad graphics. A large number of people still play Starcraft even though its graphics are quite outdated.

Modding, Community, Custom Usermade Maps: This game boasts a strong editor, and I hope that it is true. This category has kept Warcraft 3 much more alive than the traditional gameplay possibly could. New, innovative maps can add greatly to the fun had in this game, and this category will also attract people mostly there for good editors and the like. (Also, I have a question, would it be possible to have a modded mmorts (at least if they have a dedicated server or whatver and can do that)).

Story and Immersion: This category is rather big to those who like to play campaigns. It would be a big boon to the game if they get this right in the campaign. Quests in MMORTS mode are also a large part of this. They should have a small sort of meaning, even the lowliest of quests, to the overall scheme of the world and its progress (It could be very very very small). Quests having lore value would be great to have (it would also be nice to be able to have some sort of roleplaying elements in the game, I would like to RP a little bit).

Sounds and Voice acting: The sound part is important, and so is the voice acting. The voice acting isn't that important, but it detracts from the gameplay if it's terrible. Sounds are more important because you would hear them more often, (many of them at least) and if a sword hitting someone sounded like a dieing rabbit, I would honestly start to get annoyed very much (unless it was kinda funny:D ).