PDA

View Full Version : Harbour Cities

PirateofCheem
10-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Maybe people could hire ships from cities situated along the coast. I don't reckon building cities along the coast should be allowed otherwise players might get an advantage.

Some pirate towns or cities could be made, which raid the coasts. Maybe a possible quest could be used to either help them or attempt to destroy them.

I'm sorry if this has been suggested before, as I couldn't find it anywhere, so here I am suggesting it.

SvN
10-20-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm really hoping for harbourcities and islandfortresses. Your idea is really awsome, let us hope the devs will include something like this.:)

Darkes
10-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Very nice idea!!!:D

Kire
10-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Maybe as 4th option (like one if is in mountain than you have better magic..... in forest than better archers..... (as there are 3 options to where your castle would be now i guess)) and here if you are by sea you have improved ships/trade/natural defense.....

Puppeteer
10-20-2009, 03:49 PM
like one if is in mountain than you have better magic.....
What?
in forest than better archers.....
What?

These follow the same logic (or lack thereof) of giving female peasants decreased productivity as lumberjacks but increased productivity as farmers, compared to their male counterparts. In other words, this is nonsense.
Just because you live in higher altitudes this does not mean your fireball will go further, cause more damage or cost less to cast. Just because you live in a forest this does not mean your archers will be better (I'm curious as to what were you thinking: higher damage, longer range, better accuracy etc.?). Archers/magic from one region will only be better than other regions' counterparts if that particular region focuses on archery/magic with research and practice, which is not inherently defined by the environment where they live.

sneaky_squirrel
10-20-2009, 04:01 PM
If I am correct, fire is harder to have in higher altitudes due to low oxygen, in other words, the higher you get, the less effective fire should be.

The Witch King of Angmar
10-20-2009, 04:45 PM
Overall, it just doesn't make any sense. I could see stealth, maybe, from being the forest but that would be for your units only.

Josh Warner
10-20-2009, 05:59 PM
I can see a region having better units because of the geography in some cases. A region that's all flat and open would be better suited to cavalry units for example, so the residents might focus on that for obvious reasons. This sort of thing doesn't really apply in all cases. As puppeteer suggested, what the residents of the region have focused on for whatever reason based on the lore will play a part in it too, not just geography. Expect some of both I'd say.

Darathor
10-20-2009, 06:13 PM
I know one NPC city is next to the sea and could be classified as a port. I hope there will be island and coastal cities that we can make. It would make it interesting and let players that want to be more seafaring. The idea of attacks by sea is cool.

Supreme
10-21-2009, 02:29 AM
These follow the same logic (or lack thereof) of giving female peasants decreased productivity as lumberjacks but increased productivity as farmers, compared to their male counterparts. In other words, this is nonsense.

Yes, they should have decreased productivity in general.

Kire
10-21-2009, 07:05 AM
I can see a region having better units because of the geography in some cases. A region that's all flat and open would be better suited to cavalry units for example, so the residents might focus on that for obvious reasons.

Thats what i thought =P.

PirateofCheem
10-21-2009, 08:51 AM
http://jdmoney.deviantart.com/art/Pirate-Town-140989401

That my 15 - 20 minute drawing in pen as to what it could possibly look like. Of course most of the buildings and all that are not to scale, well you should get the general idea. If you like it I might take my time on a better one.
Btw, I used the ships in the screenshots for the symbols on the ship coming out of the port, but then I realised I was drawing a pirate ship so I added some dots on the ends of them so now they kind of look like pins (supposed to be cutlasses). Lets just say it's a mockery of the Human navy's design.

Josh Warner
10-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Thats what i thought =P.

Your logic didn't really fit for the given examples however : p, at least for magic. Archers I could go either way on myself, on one hand in woods hunting is a more primary source of food as farming is more difficult/impossible in large enough amounts so they may have more people innately skilled at archery. On the other, archery as a combat tool is certainly less effective in a wooded area, no? So again, landscape could have an effect on it, but correlation does not imply causation. Whatever the people decided to focus on according to the lore is likely to have the final say, it might just incorporate the terrain of the region.

wills370
11-09-2009, 11:36 PM
nice the harbour cities could be a amazing feature of the game. Cant say i have to deal with both land and sea since the empire earth/age of empires series.

the harbour could have a number of calll features. Possibly a fortified harbour on the higher levels where you have a wall with gates. (automated as micro management would be to much). Which in the event of a attack could be manned aswell as the main wall to fight off ships. (possibly a better solution if anyone can come up with it also but i thoought a wall was a fairly safe bet).

Winterwolf00
11-10-2009, 03:28 PM
I like the idea of having bonuses for the type of land you live in, but lets make it realistic. If you live in the woods then you'd have better access to wood, if you live in the mountains you have access to ore(and better defenses). In the plains you can grow crops on farms. And at coastal cities you can fish. That said I also like the idea of better units. No you don't have better archers in general because your from the woods. But do they spend alot of time hunting game with bows most likely. So give them a special hunter/ranger unit that is stealthy and more accurate. It wouldn't be a full archer unit of rangers. Maybe just 1 man or a small team.

EmpressHebihime
02-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Idea is good but the thing about that magic and archer things are enhanced is more problematic since in RTS games mostly it's the terrain everywhere that effects your units. Such as a forest would make your units move slower and give them more hiding places wich could lead to a good ambush spot for caravans. But the thing you said about gaining more trade and so on in Harbor Cities that is quite more as you were thinking and is more what you were meaning.

blackfang
02-16-2010, 07:51 AM
A port city should have increased trade if it is other trade cities anywhere near water, however you got the trading cities located around, those should also have increased trading. I really have no idea what i am saying but i hope some of it makes sense. if harbors have increased trade then the trading focused land based ones should also have increased trade. However the sea route is more dangerous then the land at some points and other it is not...

Swift sword
02-16-2010, 05:08 PM
I like the idea, but I doubt naval warfare will ever be as extensive as land battles. It certainly looks more dynamic (actual units on the ships, maybe boarding other ships, etc.) but it's still flat water. I like the idea of island cities/seatrade, but I think that'd work better if Reverie decided to add another continent across the ocean, so that we wouldn't be limited to small island trade. If we're going to add pirates, we may as well as bandits too-otherwise seatrade will be inherantly more difficult than simple overland routes

Negthareas
02-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Coastal sounds good - but we have to keep in mind that being coastal, especially on an island, would be very limiting - you could only be attacked by players with navies - aka other coastal players. Do we want that kind of limitation in DOF? I know I don't. Unless all players have acces to the sea in some way, I do not think it practical.

GPS51
02-16-2010, 10:24 PM
Although I would rather not see island dwellings I could totally see the ability to create a camp on the coast and from there embark onto ships to attack an island. Perhaps also the ability to create naval warships as well?

metman
02-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Maybe as 4th option (like one if is in mountain than you have better magic..... in forest than better archers..... (as there are 3 options to where your castle would be now i guess)) and here if you are by sea you have improved ships/trade/natural defense.....

Just a few things with this post. First, why would living high in mountains give you a better magic ability. Also, archers need a good distance between themselves and a target so they can hit them before they are killed by the rushing infantry or cavalry. A forest does not allow for this due to the fact there are so many trees cutting off the archers' line of sight. That's just my opinion. :D

blackfang
02-19-2010, 03:22 PM
well you are absolutely right, but hey we dont walk around on a plain with a bow now do we? The foresters got their bow skills since they trained with it since they were little, HOWEVER they might not be able to kill like the other archers on their territory they pay for it with skill. Also instead the plainsmen would be better swordsmen and others. (needed for fighting other tribes since the woodlands are too hard to find them in.) tough i do think that top of mountain magic thingie is just weird but perhaps if there was a temple there. (that i destroyed) then MAYBE:rolleyes:

zach12wqasxz
02-19-2010, 03:32 PM
well u cant farm in a forest, so ur main source of food would be by hunting, thus where the bow and arrow comes in, thus why they would have skilled archers. and mountainous regions i think would have extremely good defenses castle wise, but nothing special when it comes to units. great plains would have strong calvary. swampy areas..no idea.

blackfang
02-19-2010, 03:34 PM
swampy areas should have better spearmen since spears are whats used to keep evil monsters at a distance:D Or just that they dont walk slow in the mud like everyone else do:D

zach12wqasxz
02-19-2010, 03:57 PM
swampy areas should have better spearmen since spears are whats used to keep evil monsters at a distance:D Or just that they dont walk slow in the mud like everyone else do:D

that or some of there units could have a special ability where they hide underwater and breath through little tubes and ambush there enemies, that would be pretty sweet

Kire
02-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Just a few things with this post. First, why would living high in mountains give you a better magic ability. Also, archers need a good distance between themselves and a target so they can hit them before they are killed by the rushing infantry or cavalry. A forest does not allow for this due to the fact there are so many trees cutting off the archers' line of sight. That's just my opinion. :D

Y i was wrong here little, tho was trying to say as later blue said about different landscape support more x units. And that was old post =P.

metman
02-20-2010, 11:18 AM
Oh sorry.:) I probably shouldn't have said anything about that archers it was just the mountain and magic thing that got me a little off. At least it started good conversation. :D

Sharku
04-11-2010, 11:34 PM
I hope we can build our cities on the coasts or on islands, b/c I was sure planning on that :(

Alex Walz
04-11-2010, 11:58 PM
None of the homelands are near large bodies of water, sorry. :(

With that said, I know a lot of you are curious about naval warfare, but it's not an integral part of the game unless our publisher wishes otherwise. There will be some small battles and some rogue pirates, but your fleet will be small and mainly be used to get from A to B and carrying resources. You'll also hire ships much like mercenaries rather than building docks. We'll look into this more down the road, but for now, we've recently rehired another level designers (you may remember his son who registered in this forum not long ago) and he and another level designer are starting work on 20 or so small towns throughout Mythador including harbour towns where you can hire ships and at least one island stronghold while Joseph works on the dragon realm. And like the larger towns, you'll be able to lay siege to any of these small towns fairly early into the game.

It's a possibility that naval warfare will get emphasized in a sequel or expansion, but for now, it's a relatively small part of a large game. :)

GPS51
04-12-2010, 12:09 AM
Excellent.Glad to hear you guys are able to bring at least one more able bodied crewman on board (bad pun I know). Push ahead.

Yami-Yagari
04-12-2010, 02:52 AM
Wasnīt really hoping for naval warfare, since didnīturn out that great in Empire Total War, but would be nice to see in later expansions or sequels:o