PDA

View Full Version : DoFH Beta Key Launch Competition: the Six-Word Story

Alex Walz
10-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Sadly, our last fan fiction competition only gathered two entries. So I looked back at the requirements and thought we might try toning things down a bit. Let’s say, a six word max?

Before you react, imagine this: you want to get published in a newspaper ad. You’ve got the material, only problem is, it costs 30 cents a word. You’re a struggling author; you don't want to pay for every word in your great saga. Condense it. “Flash fiction” is a great way to get your point across clearly and concisely and works great for those of us with a shorter-than-average attention span. The great American writer Ernest Hemingway wrote one of the most famous pieces of “flash fiction” comprising of only six words: “For Sale: Baby shoes, never worn.”

Want some more inspiration? Wired asked popular sci-fi writers to create six-word stories. Here are some of the results:

The baby’s blood type? Human, mostly. — Orson Scott Card

I’m your future, child. Don’t cry. — Stephen Baxter

Epitaph: Foolish humans, never escaped Earth. — Vernor Vinge

With bloody hands, I say good-bye. — Frank Miller

Automobile warranty expires. So does engine. — Stan Lee

Failed SAT. Lost scholarship. Invented rocket. — William Shatner

Not so hard, is it? Oh, and one more thing, it must be related to Dawn of Fantasy.

Here's what I came up with: “Orc meet Elf, Elf meet defeat.”

Think you can do better? Post a six-word story by October 12, 12:59 PM EST in this thread (http://dof.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=45,334224,,10). After the deadline, the entries will be judged by DoFH Staff and the author of the winning entry will be presented with a key to the second closed beta.

Articles (a, an, the) do not need to add to the word count, but can if you need it to get to six.

wills370
10-08-2009, 02:53 AM
Life,death,pludering,ruin,humans survive?

Kaeleb
10-08-2009, 04:25 AM
+First :

Stupid , Barbaric & Brutal ? Oh! you mean Orcs

+Second :

Die with Honor , unless you meet Orcs

i know i exceeded the Word count if you wanna Count "oh" as a word , but still hope they are good enough :)

Darathor
10-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Kill them all, kill them dead.

this one is obviously not mine but: I came, I saw, I conquered or veni vidi vici.

Today is victory, yesterday was death.

LiTos456
10-12-2009, 12:19 AM
death for you, food for me

lol

Ironic
10-12-2009, 06:28 AM
darkness falls, kingdom lost, elf, alone

Puppeteer
10-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Ego sum imperare orbi universo.

Five words, but you said six word max. And Latin gives plus one word just 'cause :p

Aceinthehole
10-13-2009, 01:21 AM
By just surviving, we have won

Tbeaz161
10-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Blood is spilled, more is redeemed.

Alex Walz
10-18-2009, 09:23 PM
Results! (http://dof.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=45,334229,,10)

Thanks to everyone who entered. :)

Supreme
10-19-2009, 03:02 PM
The fire will rain upon you.

(Yea I know its too late but looking at those screenshots I just came up with it)