View Full Version : DoFH Beta Key Launch Competition: the Six-Word Story

Alex Walz
10-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Sadly, our last fan fiction competition only gathered two entries. So I looked back at the requirements and thought we might try toning things down a bit. Let’s say, a six word max?

Before you react, imagine this: you want to get published in a newspaper ad. You’ve got the material, only problem is, it costs 30 cents a word. You’re a struggling author; you don't want to pay for every word in your great saga. Condense it. “Flash fiction” is a great way to get your point across clearly and concisely and works great for those of us with a shorter-than-average attention span. The great American writer Ernest Hemingway wrote one of the most famous pieces of “flash fiction” comprising of only six words: “For Sale: Baby shoes, never worn.”

Want some more inspiration? Wired asked popular sci-fi writers to create six-word stories. Here are some of the results:

The baby’s blood type? Human, mostly. — Orson Scott Card

I’m your future, child. Don’t cry. — Stephen Baxter

Epitaph: Foolish humans, never escaped Earth. — Vernor Vinge

With bloody hands, I say good-bye. — Frank Miller

Automobile warranty expires. So does engine. — Stan Lee

Failed SAT. Lost scholarship. Invented rocket. — William Shatner

Not so hard, is it? Oh, and one more thing, it must be related to Dawn of Fantasy.

Here's what I came up with: “Orc meet Elf, Elf meet defeat.”

Think you can do better? Post a six-word story by October 12, 12:59 PM EST in this thread (http://dof.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=45,334224,,10). After the deadline, the entries will be judged by DoFH Staff and the author of the winning entry will be presented with a key to the second closed beta.

Articles (a, an, the) do not need to add to the word count, but can if you need it to get to six.

10-08-2009, 02:53 AM
Life,death,pludering,ruin,humans survive?

10-08-2009, 04:25 AM
+First :

Stupid , Barbaric & Brutal ? Oh! you mean Orcs

+Second :

Die with Honor , unless you meet Orcs

i know i exceeded the Word count if you wanna Count "oh" as a word , but still hope they are good enough :)

10-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Kill them all, kill them dead.

this one is obviously not mine but: I came, I saw, I conquered or veni vidi vici.

Today is victory, yesterday was death.

10-12-2009, 12:19 AM
death for you, food for me

10-12-2009, 06:28 AM
darkness falls, kingdom lost, elf, alone

10-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Ego sum imperare orbi universo.

Five words, but you said six word max. And Latin gives plus one word just 'cause :p

10-13-2009, 01:21 AM
By just surviving, we have won

10-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Blood is spilled, more is redeemed.

Alex Walz
10-18-2009, 09:23 PM
Results! (http://dof.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=45,334229,,10)

Thanks to everyone who entered. :)

10-19-2009, 03:02 PM
The fire will rain upon you.

(Yea I know its too late but looking at those screenshots I just came up with it)