PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I'm new and have some Questions

Baxter
10-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Hi,

This project looks really interesting. Most of the information available is really focused on the MMORTS portion of the game (which is cool!) and I can't seem to find much about the single player modes.

Can you play a campaign-like series of skirmishes where you basically would be playing like a Total War game, purhaps eventually taking over the whole game-world one territory at a time?

Is there a thread or something I'm missing that goes into more details about the single player gameplay?

Thanks in advance

LiTos456
10-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Yes. There are plenty of discussions about the single player. There will be a story campaign and you'll be able to play skirmishes as well too.
Also you have posted this thread in the wrong section - I believe you should have posted it in the traveler's introduction section which is a subsection of this.
Next time please look where you post. Thanks. :)

Baxter
10-05-2009, 11:11 PM
I saw that there is a linear story driven campaign, but I guess what I was getting at is I'm wondering if you can play the single player skirmishes like a non-linear campaign like in Total War where you can have open ended freedom in which cities that you take over - so hypothetically you could eventually take over the whole game world / as opposed to just skirmish individual battles.

Could you point out some of the threads regarding details of single player modes? All it says in the features is "extensive single player skirmishes" without detail. Seems like everything is oriented around the MMORTS - and for good reason.

I'm not big into scripted linear campaignes but I loved the way you could almost play in a sandbox type of campaign like with Total War, thats the best example of what I am talking about.

wills370
10-06-2009, 02:51 AM
I saw that there is a linear story driven campaign, but I guess what I was getting at is I'm wondering if you can play the single player skirmishes like a non-linear campaign like in Total War where you can have open ended freedom in which cities that you take over - so hypothetically you could eventually take over the whole game world / as opposed to just skirmish individual battles.

Could you point out some of the threads regarding details of single player modes? All it says in the features is "extensive single player skirmishes" without detail. Seems like everything is oriented around the MMORTS - and for good reason.

I'm not big into scripted linear campaignes but I loved the way you could almost play in a sandbox type of campaign like with Total War, thats the best example of what I am talking about.

Go to the suggestion forums and work your way through thoose or carry out a search. That will show you what you need.

Josh Warner
10-06-2009, 03:22 AM

Only a dev can answer if the single player campaign works like that, I would doubt it considering the primary focus is MMORTS, not single player, but who knows.

wills370
10-06-2009, 05:59 AM
Only a dev can answer if the single player campaign works like that, I would doubt it considering the primary focus is MMORTS, not single player, but who knows.

Hmm could possibly have some fetures found in the online world. found this from a dev which does hint to what you mean althouh this is the persistant world and not single player. So we will have to wait longer to find out

Not quite. Think Total War games. You move armies and select cities on the World Map. But unlike Total War, where player only gets into RTS view during the battle, in DoF player can at any time see his Army/Town in RTS view (be it in some forest, desert or a town). And when it comes to managing the town, or army - again please can only do this in RTS view.

And yes there are load screens, but right now in the not-so-optimized engine you are looking at 8 to 15 seconds long load-time. We`ll try to push this down to 4-5 seconds.

There are lots of World events - but we are unleashing them as players progress through the quests, instead of a specific date. Example of world events: civil war in human realm, orcs vs humans war, elves vs orcs war e.t.c

Baxter
10-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Ya I've searched around and haven't really found anything. I saw that post too but like you said thats regarding the online play.

I think you are right that this is a question for the Devs, as I have not found an answer unless I missed it somewhere.

Basically, does single player skirmish work the same way as online play only with AI instead of live players - and with the ability to "capture" territories?

LiTos456
10-06-2009, 07:01 PM
No. Skirmish is just the regular classic RTS skirmish. You start off with an already built stronghold I think.
And the storyline campaign... You know honestly I don't think it's open world but it is kind of possible considering all the games are coming out like that now and this game has an open world ready engine. But you are right, I don't think we heard much about the single player storyline mode and how exactly it is played out.

Darathor
10-07-2009, 09:04 AM
No. Skirmish is just the regular classic RTS skirmish. You start off with an already built stronghold I think.

I believe you start out with what you do in MMORTS, just a hero and a few peasants along with a town hall, but everything is built, trained, and gathered much more quickly.

Josh Warner
10-07-2009, 02:06 PM
I believe you start out with what you do in MMORTS, just a hero and a few peasants along with a town hall, but everything is built, trained, and gathered much more quickly.

I believe this to be more likely as well - however it's entirely possible that like several other strategy games they'll have different starting settings ranging from bare bones to fully developed.

Konstantin Fomenko
10-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Good time to bring this up...we are actually considering many different options and final say will be up to the publisher...but here`s how we might change things up. (I`ll be able to confirm this towards end of November)

Right now single-player campaign is linear 9 scenarios long, covers only human race. Meanwhile in MMORTS mode the campaign for each race is 30+ quests nicely incorporate into persistent mmorts gameplay.

The best option we see right now is to scrap the 9 scenario long single-player campaign, instead concentrate on making MMO campaign quests much better. Perhaps release the 9 scenario long singleplayer campaign later on....

However, there is a large group of players who never play RTS games online, for these we could replace single-player campaign with the Offline MMORTS experience. No Player vs Player, chat, alliance - just immense campaign storyline in Total War kind of environment.

Supreme
10-07-2009, 03:26 PM
That -does- sound interesting..

Josh Warner
10-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Good time to bring this up...we are actually considering many different options and final say will be up to the publisher...but here`s how we might change things up. (I`ll be able to confirm this towards end of November)

Right now single-player campaign is linear 9 scenarios long, covers only human race. Meanwhile in MMORTS mode the campaign for each race is 30+ quests nicely incorporate into persistent mmorts gameplay.

The best option we see right now is to scrap the 9 scenario long single-player campaign, instead concentrate on making MMO campaign quests much better. Perhaps release the 9 scenario long singleplayer campaign later on....

However, there is a large group of players who never play RTS games online, for these we could replace single-player campaign with the Offline MMORTS experience. No Player vs Player, chat, alliance - just immense campaign storyline in Total War kind of environment.

If you could take out the MMO part and just turn that into a single player game, it would certainly be a lot of fun. Depends on how much work it'd be to change everything to work in single player. And if I understand how things work - it would make the game quite a bit larger if it had most of the MMORTS stuff client side, installation size that is.

Either way, don't get rid of what you've already done, if it's fun in it's own right just tacking on the 9 campaign missions you have now as a 'bonus' feature would be fine.

wills370
10-08-2009, 03:13 AM
I thik that is a much better idea. the total war style of play will be far more i depth and genrally much better recieved to thoose who dont want to use the online mmort gameplay but still want all the features.

The player vs computer players moorts style for main singleplayer sounds fantastic can always as you say add the human campain in later

LiTos456
10-08-2009, 02:24 PM
That -does- sound interesting..

It indeed does, I've never played an RTS like that (but I never played total war either).

sneaky_squirrel
10-09-2009, 12:07 AM
This might sound a bit complicated, but it would be possible to be able for users to "make" campaigns if this singleplayer mmo were enabled in which they would put in how the quests would be given out and NPC attacks would fire, plus set the player's territories, city, heroes and army, in a semi linear story in which you would progress until you reached your goal.

Basically an idea for campaigns in case you go for singleplayer mmo as well, kind ahard though sicne you guys say it is by "instances" and there really are no actual "stable" territories.

These campaigns wouldn't be a peace of cake to make, but it would be very fun to both develop and play if they are of high quality.

Joseph Visscher
10-10-2009, 01:14 AM
If you could take out the MMO part and just turn that into a single player game, it would certainly be a lot of fun. Depends on how much work it'd be to change everything to work in single player. And if I understand how things work - it would make the game quite a bit larger if it had most of the MMORTS stuff client side, installation size that is.

Either way, don't get rid of what you've already done, if it's fun in it's own right just tacking on the 9 campaign missions you have now as a 'bonus' feature would be fine.

I don't see dof ever going above 4 gbs. how it is so open source and uses LUA in a simple but complex text format, heh well the biggest files are textures and maps and these rarely go over 2mbs each. Dawn of fantasy doesn't have like 5120x5120 sized .dds textures like GTA 4 has that are like 25 mbs each. (16GB game.