PDA

View Full Version : How many publishers

Gleem
10-05-2009, 07:43 AM
does it take to make the greatest RTS game ever?

Chris Harshman
10-05-2009, 08:04 AM
0, but it takes one very good game studio.

Joseph Visscher
10-05-2009, 09:41 AM
0, but it takes one very good game studio.

Not if the studio has no income.
A very good publisher that dishes out a lot of money for better development of the studio and sets a very slack release date so the development team can take their time and do things right without the 'rushed' feeling.

Chris Harshman
10-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Not if the studio has no income.
A very good publisher that dishes out a lot of money for better development of the studio and sets a very slack release date so the development team can take their time and do things right without the 'rushed' feeling.

My point was that a publisher is not required, there are other ways to get money, a publisher is still the best, but not the only way.

Josh Warner
10-05-2009, 10:45 AM
My point was that a publisher is not required, there are other ways to get money, a publisher is still the best, but not the only way.

Short of eccentric billionaire investors what is going to make enough money to give them the time to actually make a great game as a startup studio? Self publishing without other titles or some form of true revenue already on the market is pretty much unheard of for quality games. There are the occasional indie games that get wildly popular here and there, but more often than not that's a fluke. Not wise to build your business around if you like paying your employees I'd think.

I can't really know as I'm not part of the industry - but I just don't see that happening often lol.

Andy Joslin
10-05-2009, 10:50 AM
S2Games is a good example of an indie company with good cashflow. Their CEO, Marc DeForest, owns a AAA little league hockey team, a restaurant I think too, as well as a game company. :p

Josh Warner
10-05-2009, 11:14 AM
S2Games is a good example of an indie company with good cashflow. Their CEO, Marc DeForest, owns a AAA little league hockey team, a restaurant I think too, as well as a game company. :p

Ahh savage1/2 good times, Savage 1 was kind of a 'meh' title as for success, loved it but it didn't have enough appeal, it did make 'em enough money to make savage 2 which in turn is funding HoN with it's much greater success.

Darvin
10-05-2009, 12:20 PM
S2Games is a good example of an indie company with good cashflow. Their CEO, Marc DeForest, owns a AAA little league hockey team, a restaurant I think too, as well as a game company
That probably qualifies as the eccentric millionaire investor.

Anyways, you need to get your product on retail shelves. Digital distribution is a big phenomenon, but it's still only a tiny piece of the pie compared to retailers. Read an article yesterday that suggested for every one digital copy sold, Walmart alone sells ten boxed copies.

Chris Harshman
10-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Short of eccentric billionaire investors what is going to make enough money to give them the time to actually make a great game as a startup studio? Self publishing without other titles or some form of true revenue already on the market is pretty much unheard of for quality games. There are the occasional indie games that get wildly popular here and there, but more often than not that's a fluke. Not wise to build your business around if you like paying your employees I'd think.

I can't really know as I'm not part of the industry - but I just don't see that happening often lol.

Regardless of that my point still stands, highly recommended, but again not required.

I am not debating whether it is likely to happen, but that it could and does happen.

wills370
10-05-2009, 02:04 PM
This will have one publisher this game. Although we are sitll waiting to find out who?

ith regards it is very rare for any game to suceed in this highly competative market where millions and millions is spent before the game even hits the shelves or is anywhere near being finished to be a sucess. Aswell as the rights to publication chains etc .

Many companyies need the publisher for that very purpose to publish and not get bent over with the rates. Remember the shops dont have to sell your product.

Gleem
10-06-2009, 08:01 AM
It seems I've sparked quite the conversation.

wills370
10-06-2009, 08:23 AM
It seems I've sparked quite the conversation.

Please if your going to post atleast have some relative content in it.
That was just a spam post lets be hounest :P i wouldent count bordering 2 pages on alot of conversation.

With regards to the publishers you will have to wait to find out who it is.

Gleem
10-13-2009, 04:52 AM
I wasn't intending to spam, it was just an offhand comment. Maybe I should read the forum rules again to understand what spam is >.>

Supreme
10-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Whats up with the obsession of comments being spam

wills370
10-14-2009, 10:08 AM
Because the forums are going to become alot more busy in the comming months so if everyone is doing off handed comments all the time then the forum will soon become very hard to navigate to find relavant comments.

Supreme
10-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Everybody knows a good thread is only relevant on the first page.

Puppeteer
10-15-2009, 04:18 PM
No, that's wrong - it only applies if the members are immature. Which, by and large, here they are not. So stop going offtopic.