PDA

View Full Version : Improving DoF Visuals - progress report.

Konstantin Fomenko
09-11-2007, 11:04 AM
During the next 3 months we are putting alot of resources into improving our visuals. Starting from adding all latest visual technology like HDR, Bloom and normal mapping to upping poly-count on some models from 500 to 5,000.

From time to time I`ll post screenshot or two here to show off our progress. And we have decided to really slow down production of new screenshots and video trailers until our visual upgrades are complete - I hope you can understand this decision after looking at the bellow screenshot and comparing it to the stuff you saw earlier.

frankein_fish
09-11-2007, 11:51 AM
WOW:eek: thats far bether than the ghrapics in the tralier and any screeni but it maybe need some
minor improvments but its a great job ! :D :D

olauwers
09-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Nice! Could I make one request please? Would you be kind enough to keep the minimum requirements as low as possible? I don't care about max requirements, but my comp ain't all that good, so it would be awesome to have some minimum requirements which don't make your game lag (as opposed to some games I could post the names of here)

Joseph Visscher
09-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Nice! Could I make one request please? Would you be kind enough to keep the minimum requirements as low as possible? I don't care about max requirements, but my comp ain't all that good, so it would be awesome to have some minimum requirements which don't make your game lag (as opposed to some games I could post the names of here)

I totaly agree, I believe this game should be generaly for those with lower end computers.

all the trailers/pictures on the site and around are extremely old, i've given some new screenshots to Kon and the rest of the team to handle geting them out, odds are although we will release a massive update on media after we get the new effects.

Sharku
09-11-2007, 02:31 PM
This should probably be stickied if you plan on updating it. Much easier to keep track of. And btw, that ss is awesome. I'm just worried of the lack of blinking, that guy looks a little scary.

Joseph Visscher
09-11-2007, 02:34 PM
This should probably be stickied if you plan on updating it. Much easier to keep track of. And btw, that ss is awesome. I'm just worried of the lack of blinking, that guy looks a little scary.

its a picture, its either his eyes are closed or open :p
to what i know so far his face has movement, his eyes and such can be moved. lip movment when he talks etc. I cant wait for the effects update, bloom will really make that picture awsome.

jap88
09-11-2007, 02:52 PM
The face seems under-detailed compared to the rest of the body.

Gallivan
09-11-2007, 07:28 PM
Frankly, that looks pretty damn good for an RTS. :)

SPARROW94
09-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Sheesh this is nothing by what iv seen like world in conflict, halowars, uAw

Gallivan
09-11-2007, 09:00 PM
It's hard to compare those RTS' though. If we were to blatantly compare graphics we'd have to look at features, size, compatability, etc. because all of these things take development time.

What I meant though, was that I would play with the above graphics any day - for hours on end. :D

The Witch King of Angmar
09-12-2007, 02:13 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Wow that looks great! You guys have come so far from those screens I saw from 2003 (I think). Keep up the great work.

Chris
09-12-2007, 02:29 PM
What really really hurts DoF at it's current state is it's numerous 'graphical upgrades' that have happened few years after few years and it's Photoshop look. By that I mean that nearly all textures in the game display their 'brushed and filtered' look.

HDR/Bloom won't make things better if the base they work on aren't that great to HDR and Bloom. I adore the classic fantasy style with it's pale colors and the like, but the game looks outdated a bit.

Problem with Bloom especially is that DoF at it's current state looks like a pretty crowded game. This will make people turn bloom off since Bloom often smooths the lines between details. Currently it's already very hard to see units on a map. This screenshot (http://www.dawnoffantasy.com/media/rtsc/screen1.jpg) is a good example of how fog helps reduce the effect, but this one here is a random mess (http://www.dawnoffantasy.com/media/rtsc/screen3.jpg). Also, what doesn't help at all, is the feeling of depth in the game that seems to be missing (http://www.dawnoffantasy.com/media/rtsc/screen2.jpg). This makes the last screenshot look very 2D.

Another problem in graphics currently seems to be that every 'city' is greyish brown, every forest is green-green-green, and the like. There's no 'beauty' to the nature and environment itself. The city shown on numerous screenshots looks like a boring place to live in or build in my opinion. Considering some of the better fantasy RTS'es around these days, this seems lacking in it's current state. Where are the seasons, the weather, the daytime, the atmosphere itself?

Reason I'm saying this is because the news surprises me, I didn't expect another graphics makeover this late in the project. I was expecting the number of variations in environment, different textures and looks to the world be the ones worked on this late since right now I've only really seen one human city and one elven forest in similar lighting conditions and similar setups.

Is graphics overhaul really this necessary this late instead of simply piling up and adding to what's already there? Just my opinion of course, I just believe the latter would be more beneficial.

The Witch King of Angmar
09-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Sorry Chris, I couldn't see the last 2 screens because the links didn't work. ANyway, if you look at the picture with the close up orcs and see how "blocky" they look I think you would agree they needed a bit of a touch-up on graphics.

Joseph Visscher
09-13-2007, 12:18 AM
Sorry Chris, I couldn't see the last 2 screens because the links didn't work. ANyway, if you look at the picture with the close up orcs and see how "blocky" they look I think you would agree they needed a bit of a touch-up on graphics.
The first shot worked, so i just changed

http://www.dawnoffantasy.com/media/rtsc/screen1.jpg

to

http://www.dawnoffantasy.com/media/rtsc/screen2.jpg

and then

http://www.dawnoffantasy.com/media/rtsc/screen3.jpg

and all 3 work. for me anyways.

responce to Chris, I somewhat agree, we need to build a larger part of the game, then again on the other hand we need to update the graphics enough that this game will really get off the ground and get an awsome population growing with support and such which will most likely mean more funding to finish the rest of the game faster. Thats all im gona say for now ;)

Chris
09-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Well I agree that more detailed units are always lovely. I love detail in characters and units quite a bit, but they are secondary to the gameplay and atmosphere itself. For example, Company of Heroes or Spellforce 2 are some of the better looking RTS titles around at the moment when it comes to unit details, but games like Battle for Middle Earth 2 - while having less polycount on units - aren't affected by it. You could also list Medieval Total War 2 here I suppose, though it's not RTS, and more of strategy-tactics game.

I see Dawn of Fantasy as a large scale game of epic proportions, massive armies. And I personally don't see a problem in how the details of units are right now. While - as I mentioned before - game has this strong Photoshop brushed-filtered look, the graphics themselves look good the way they are when it comes to what's currently there. In my opinion it would simply benefit from expanding what's already there, instead of remaking a large portion of it.

I just have a hard time seeing that there's time for another massive graphics upgrade that leaves alot of months of time to add to it, since I believe the game would strongly benefit from being expanded than upgraded what's there.

It would help strongly with maps variations as well, the last thing you need is to end up with a situation where maps look mostly the same. Yes, buildings in different places, vegetation in different places, terrain elevation variations, but overall the same.

But I have alot of faith in you guys, after you've come far and I'm sure you'll make the right decision, simply offered a bit of my own opinion to the pile. Hopefully we'll see the real benefits of the graphics update soon enough :)

EDIT: And apologies for the DoF screens in my previous post, happened to drop few symbols into URL that weren't meant to be there. Fixed now.

Gallivan
09-13-2007, 10:54 AM
In your last screenshot you comment about lack of depth. Isn't it possible to add a fog-induced filter when the camera plane is less then - say 50 degrees?

The fog would only affect the things in the back drop, and the farther away the foggier it would become.

For example:

http://www.terragame.com/downloadable/war/line_of_sight_vietnam/screen_1.jpg

olauwers
09-13-2007, 01:20 PM
I have a question about these screens. The armies shown in them, are they actually realistic armies, speaking in bigness-terms?

The Witch King of Angmar
09-13-2007, 04:04 PM
I have a question about these screens. The armies shown in them, are they actually realistic armies, speaking in bigness-terms?

They looked pretty real to me, but no, I think they might have just added them as a part of the "scenery".

Ryan Zelazny
09-13-2007, 04:58 PM

The Orc army in the first screen is actually much larger, thats just a portion of the forces. That one is taken from part of the human campaign, just a look at the force you have to defeat!

The Witch King of Angmar
09-14-2007, 07:48 AM
The Orc army in the first screen is actually much larger, thats just a portion of the forces. That one is taken from part of the human campaign, just a look at the force you have to defeat!

Wow, I can't wait to have a giant battle like that.

frankein_fish
09-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Wow, I can't wait to have a giant battle like that.

Me to i remember Rome:Total War those battles wasent to bad either:p

olauwers
09-15-2007, 07:19 AM

Nice!

(I always automated RTW battles :D)

frankein_fish
09-15-2007, 08:27 AM
Nice!

(I always automated RTW battles :D)

BUUH!! :mad:

Silent_Lamb
09-15-2007, 09:31 AM

Will you be able to build those stakes? And will those tents and other structures be a bi-product of building siege towers, as in when your building them those little tents pop up? I think it would really add life to the battlefield if after you defeated that sieging army you could look out on their structures, fire pits, and the like.

Which brings up another question, will their be a way to make it so units will not disappear (or decompose into the earth) like Dawn of War (Maybe that's not the only one that did it but it's what comes to mind). I like to see my battlefield littered with the dead of my enemies and my allies, it just brings life to it. For slower PC's the ability could be turned off.

The Witch King of Angmar
09-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Will you be able to build those stakes? And will those tents and other structures be a bi-product of building siege towers, as in when your building them those little tents pop up? I think it would really add life to the battlefield if after you defeated that sieging army you could look out on their structures, fire pits, and the like.

Which brings up another question, will their be a way to make it so units will not disappear (or decompose into the earth) like Dawn of War (Maybe that's not the only one that did it but it's what comes to mind). I like to see my battlefield littered with the dead of my enemies and my allies, it just brings life to it. For slower PC's the ability could be turned off.

I think the corpses will remain on the ground unless you loot them.

jap88
09-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Although i do prefer corpses to stay there instead of instantaneously decomposing eventually all the dead bodies do create an enormous amount of lag.

Silent_Lamb
09-15-2007, 02:52 PM
Well that's why it would be better if they made the feature so you could turn it off or on. That way if it got too bad you could just turn it off, or if your computer couldn't handle it you could keep it off.

The Witch King of Angmar
09-15-2007, 03:37 PM
Well that's why it would be better if they made the feature so you could turn it off or on. That way if it got too bad you could just turn it off, or if your computer couldn't handle it you could keep it off.

Yeah I like that idea.

Ryan Zelazny
09-17-2007, 10:13 AM

Yes you'll be able to build the stakes. The tents and other structures are "camps" which you can build, these help heal units more quickly in the wildnerness and as well as other positives.

At the moment units do not "decompose" or fade away after they are killed, however I believe we will have to have a time limit before they decompose before we launch the title, it will take up a lot of resources, which could be put into making units look better and nicer effects.

Darvin
09-17-2007, 12:07 PM
Plus you can't exactly mod in a necromancy spell without corpses.

What happens to unattended camps? Do they just stick around, or do they actually deteriorate and eventually disappear if abandoned?

Ryan Zelazny
09-17-2007, 01:01 PM
We haven't worked out if that will happen yet Darvin. However I do believe you can recoup some of the material cost of setting up the camp if you take it down. If they are left unattended, my logic would be that they will stay up and can be used by enemies or allies or taken down to get resources. I would say perhaps after a long time it would deteriorate.

The Witch King of Angmar
09-17-2007, 03:03 PM
We haven't worked out if that will happen yet Darvin. However I do believe you can recoup some of the material cost of setting up the camp if you take it down. If they are left unattended, my logic would be that they will stay up and can be used by enemies or allies or taken down to get resources. I would say perhaps after a long time it would deteriorate.

Cool, I love the idea of looting buildings.

Puppeteer
09-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Looting camps for resources and bodies that don't suddenly decompose; awesome! :)

Ryan Zelazny
09-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Looting camps for resources and bodies that don't suddenly decompose; awesome! :)

You can loot the corpses too Puppeteer ;)

SPARROW94
09-18-2007, 06:17 PM
I So Did Not Know That

The Witch King of Angmar
09-19-2007, 02:25 PM
Omfg I So Did Not Know That

I think it's the fact that Puppeteer din't know that, not you, Sparrow.

SPARROW94
10-02-2007, 04:57 PM
im seruise i so DID NOT know that

oh and i have been away for awile why havnt there been any screens? sheesh

Ryan Zelazny
10-02-2007, 05:24 PM
We aren't posting screenshots or videos until our visual upgrades have been completed. We may post progress shots as we impliment our upgrades.

The Witch King of Angmar
10-02-2007, 06:57 PM
im seruise i so DID NOT know that

oh and i have been away for awile why havnt there been any screens? sheesh

Did you see the picture of the prince guy?