PDA

View Full Version : Reverie World Hiring for Intern/Paid positions.

Konstantin Fomenko
09-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Reverie World Studios, INC, developer of Dawn of Fantasy, located in Canada, Ontario, Toronto. We are looking to fill the following positions with-in the next month. Please send your resumes and inquiries to jobs{at}reverieworld{dot}.com (jobs@reverieworld.com).

Intern Lua Scripter -- Positions Filled
This is an opportunity for a Junior LUA Scripter to enter the game industry and work on late staged development of Dawn of Fantasy MMORTS world map interface including scripting interface and game object files in simplified Lua.

Requirements:
Workable demo of the basic flash or other based game or excerpts of the code personally created in any major programming language
Medium LUA scripting experience gained either in University or in your spare time.Desirable:
Experience in a similar role would be an advantage.
Computer Science or a related degreeThis is an immediate requirement with 2 open positions; therefore you should be able to start within the next 2-3 weeks. This is part-time (15 to 20 hours) tele-working position, with basic bonus system compensation, and open road to advanced to a fully paid Lua Scripter position with-in 2 months.

-----------------------------------------------------

Intern Scenario Scripter -- Positions Filled
This is an opportunity for a Junior Scenario Scripter to enter the game industry and work on development of Dawn of Fantasy MMORTS quests - scripting gameplay action on provided levels based on design specifications, using basic Lua functions.

Requirements:
Several fan made released levels for any AAA RTS, RPG or FPS game that utilized a scripting or a complex trigger system.Desirable:
Experience in a similar role would be an advantage.
Basic LUA scripting experience is an asset
Computer Science or a related degreeThis is an iurgent requirement with 6 open positions; therefore you should be able to start within the next 2-3 weeks. This is part-time (15 to 20 hours) tele-working position, with basic bonus system compensation, and open road to advanced to a fully paid Lua Scripter position with-in 2 months.

2D Digital Artist
This is an opportunity for a skilled 2D Artist to create high quality and polished digital art for the Dawn of Fantasy GUI interface and MMORTS World Map background and objects.

Requirements:
Strong foundation in traditional arts, with excellent fundamental digital graphic.
Highly proficient in Photoshop & Adobe Illustrator.
Highly proficient in creating photo-realistic landscapes and background.
Proficient in modeling & texturing 3D art assets for low-polygon games in 3D Max (9 Preferred).Desirable:
Previous game industry, or game mod project participation
Familiar with PC RTS games and interfaces
Previous work on web or game interfaceThis positions start within the next 6-8 weeks. One opening. This is part-time/full-time position (20 to 40 hours) tele-working position, with hourly rates compensation. Additional profit sharing option will offered to dedicated employee willing to stay with the company.

Intern 2D Digital Artist
This is an opportunity for a starting 2D Artist to enter the game industry and work on creating digital art for the Dawn of Fantasy GUI interface – such as icons and buttons.

Requirements:
Highly proficient in Photoshop
Proficient in creating small scale objects such as buttons or icons.Desirable:
Familiar with PC RTS games and interfaces
Previous work on web or game interfaceThis is an immediate requirement with 2 open positions; therefore you should be able to start within the next 2-3 weeks. This is part-time (10 to 20 hours) tele-working position, with basic bonus system compensation, and open road to advanced to a fully paid 2D or 3D artist position with-in 3 months.

~ This is not Dawn of Fantasy's minimum specifications
All positions should have computer specifications exceeding:
XP, Vista, Win 7.
CPU: 3.0+Ghz single core Processor or a Duel Core processor.
Video Card: High end 256mb, atleast geforce 8 series.
Full access high speed internet connection for communication and application sharing.
Good Anti-Virus, Anti-Malwere, and Anti-Spywere for better security of Dawn of Fantasy's Data to prevent vital information leaks.

Konstantin Fomenko
09-29-2009, 02:40 PM
I would like to add that for all positions but the Intern Scenario Designer the age limit is 16.

Also, if we will take someone under 16 for the Intern Scenario Designer position, they will not be able to get promoted to a full Scenario Designer for good work, until they are 16 (employment laws prohibit us)

Also - questions - comments, post them here please.

And Hurry up - We will only accept applications for the next 2 weeks.

Puppeteer
09-29-2009, 04:07 PM
I'm considering the Intern 2D Digital Artist, however I do not have Illustrator. I have created many sig bars and quite a few buttons (using stock or from scratch) though. Is that a problem?

Konstantin Fomenko
09-29-2009, 04:30 PM
Photoshop should be sufficient, actually I guess i`ll remove illustrator from there, this is more of the full-time 2D artist.

Majority of work for Junior 2D artists will be creating buttons (we need oh around 400 of them) for various research, unit, and building functions.

Chris Harshman
09-29-2009, 04:46 PM
I am going to apply for Intern Lua Scripter.

I have a question regarding the method to send you this.

"Workable demo of the basic flash or other based game or excerpts of the code personally created in any major programming language"

I have the game piced out that I am going to send you it is an XNA game coded in C# and VS 2008. Can I just zip up the source code. The game requires XNA 3.1.

Konstantin Fomenko
09-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Good question.

Everyone - please feel free to e-mail samples under 10Mbs. Ideally find someplace to upload your sample and just send in a link instead.

Chriscisco, include as much directions for accessing the code or trying out the game. Our current Lua scripters will be the one reviewing these materials - so be sure to include something along the lines: "this requires XNA 3.1., you can download it here, after install do this and that to start the game"

sneaky_squirrel
09-29-2009, 04:57 PM
I am gonna go for Intern Scenario Scripter, currently working endlessly on my e mail aplication :o .

Hope I get accepted.

Konstantin Fomenko
09-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Best of luck to all our forumers - would be great to see our long time fans join the team. I`ll be able to cut half the questions from the interview as well:)

Konstantin Fomenko
09-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Corrected one mistake. For Intern Scenario Designer - basic lua scripting experience is an asset, not a requirement. To be fair none of our current scenario designers even heard about lua - and managed to learn with-in a month.

sneaky_squirrel
09-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Phew...well now that will just make my aplication's Lua section look silly...sent it in anyways.

Please have the time to read it ;p.

Konstantin Fomenko
09-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Please have the time to read it ;p.

Solid application - I`ve forward this to Joseph and Andy, but from what I saw - they would probably schedule an interview late next week.

..but as far as formatting goes - I`ll be honest this is one the most awkward job applications formats I ever seen:) Especially the use of smiley faces. (I took liberty in removing smileys before forward this)

sneaky_squirrel
09-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the tip.

Note to self: Remove all signs of affection.

And yes I am new to making these aplications, practice makes perfect.

Ienzo
09-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Hello DoF Staff,

I would like to apply for the normal 2D Digital Artist. I have much experience in the field of graphic design for I have been using Photoshop CS3 and Illustrator for about four years now. I find this job to be very valuable and will be very grateful if I am accepted. If you have any further questions, e-mail me at darkienzo@gmail.com.

Thanks,
Ienzo

Konstantin Fomenko
09-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Ienzo,

Please forward your resume and portfolio to jobs@reverieworld.com.

Thank you.

LiTos456
09-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Oh man... I have to be honest but my heart broke when I read the 16 age limit. I was thinking I could do the intern 2d designer, but.... Kon is there no no no no no no no no absolutely no no no no no way you could make an exception? I mean the scenario designer can be younger. In fact I think I could do that too but the problem is I don't have any previous work on it even though I kinda learn fast... unless I try to do something within these 2 weeks.
I don't even need to get paid, I'd work anyway. Even with school on my back I'll sit up to 3 AM if I have to, gaming industry is holy for me and I wouldn't miss a chance of working in it at my age. I just wish it was possible, darn, this was such a close call, it really got my tires burning but the age limit is just depressive.
Sigh, I've always complained about my age, this is one of the times when I really have a good reason to >.>
PS: Sneaky grats in advance if you get in. Hard to believe how you just came, grabbed a key to the first closed beta from me there, and got a job. You're like the Jesus Christ of Dawn of Fantasy.

Andy Joslin
09-29-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the tip.

Note to self: Remove all signs of affection.

And yes I am new to making these aplications, practice makes perfect.

It's not necessarily about removing signs of affection, but looking mature and professional while staying friendly.

sneaky_squirrel
09-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Thanks Litos, wish you luck too.

I hope to soon be on the other side (For those who don't know, that means the inside).

Completely Off topic, but I keep subconsciously seeing the Reverie avatar as Altaria (a Pokemon of the third generation XD), just thought I'd share that with everyone.

wills370
09-30-2009, 02:36 AM
Darn, if only i had experience in thoose fields i would be happy to participate. Unfortunatly i dont. Although can i put forward the question that possibly as a later expansion you have a learning to mod section. Where by you can take us through the basics of modding/scripting for your game engine (As you said it would be high level of modable content).

aslong as i have the basics i can pretty much learn to do the rest. Just a thought however. MAnoMan do i wish i taught myself scripting etc earlier :(

JDmino
09-30-2009, 06:33 AM
Darn, if only i had experience in thoose fields i would be happy to participate. Unfortunatly i dont. Although can i put forward the question that possibly as a later expansion you have a learning to mod section. Where by you can take us through the basics of modding/scripting for your game engine (As you said it would be high level of modable content).

aslong as i have the basics i can pretty much learn to do the rest. Just a thought however. MAnoMan do i wish i taught myself scripting etc earlier :(

I am pretty good at scenario design, too bad I cannot write a resume as I have no clue how.:confused:

Gleem
09-30-2009, 06:47 AM
It's too bad we don't start Lua scripting until next year at my college. :(

szebus
09-30-2009, 08:16 AM
too bad I cannot write a resume as I have no clue how.:confused:

You could goole (http://www.google.com) it, or if it helps, then just klick on how-to-write-a-resume.org (http://www.how-to-write-a-resume.org/resume_builder.htm)

Good luck and don't forget, it is all about You.

JDmino
09-30-2009, 08:19 AM
You could goole (http://www.google.com) it, or if it helps, then just klick on how-to-write-a-resume.org (http://www.how-to-write-a-resume.org/resume_builder.htm)

Good luck and don't forget, it is all about You.

Thanks mate! I will see what I can do!:)

Puppeteer
09-30-2009, 10:53 AM
When you say creating artwork, that's from scratch right?
Man, LiTos you'll have other opportunities. Thank God that at the moment you have all the time in the world and the freedom to pursue your gaming interests. Essays are the bane of my existence :p
I think I shouldn't apply. I guess I'll wait to just design maps when DoF comes out!

LiTos456
09-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Man, LiTos you'll have other opportunities. Thank God that at the moment you have all the time in the world and the freedom to pursue your gaming interests. Essays are the bane of my existence :p

That isn't true. I dont have that much time because of the new school and everything. Just think about how I'd feel if I get a job - any job actually, at this point. This of course is even better. :P
Edit: Wait I just realized I have a tad of scenario designer experience. I've done missions in ArmA 2 which are trigger and/or script based. Hm, I may have a shot at this after all. It'll be awesome if Reverie hires me. I'm going to cook up some missions over the days and send a resume then.

Puppeteer
09-30-2009, 02:13 PM

That isn't true.
Which part isn't true? There aren't other opportunities? Of course they'll be more opportunities. You are not trying to pursue your gaming opportunities? By gaming, I mean the whole industry, not just playing, so you are. Essays aren't the bane of my existence? It's taken 3 and a half hours to write my history essay just now on the Liberal Constitutional Crisis 1909-1911.
Quit your 'depressive' whining, you'll get into the gaming industry sooner or later - you're quite young as it is. At least you know what direction you want to go in!

Josh Warner
09-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Knowing what he really wants to do already puts him a step ahead of most people. After that it's all effort, and if it's something you really want to - it should be easy.

So I concur, you'll be fine Litos.

LiTos456
09-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Which part isn't true? There aren't other opportunities? Of course they'll be more opportunities. You are not trying to pursue your gaming opportunities? By gaming, I mean the whole industry, not just playing, so you are. Essays aren't the bane of my existence? It's taken 3 and a half hours to write my history essay just now on the Liberal Constitutional Crisis 1909-1911.
Quit your 'depressive' whining, you'll get into the gaming industry sooner or later - you're quite young as it is. At least you know what direction you want to go in!
Nah I'm not whining. I actually edited and shortened my post lol, that was a bit TMI, so my apologies.
And the part that isnt true is that I have all the time in the world.

Dan Riddell
10-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Yes! Was hyped up about this for weeks.Awesomeness.

Alex Walz
10-01-2009, 10:25 AM
^ SoV has my letter of recommendation. ^_^

fyro11
10-02-2009, 09:18 AM
That isn't true. I dont have that much time because of the new school and everything. Just think about how I'd feel if I get a job - any job actually, at this point. This of course is even better. :P
Edit: Wait I just realized I have a tad of scenario designer experience. I've done missions in ArmA 2 which are trigger and/or script based. Hm, I may have a shot at this after all. It'll be awesome if Reverie hires me. I'm going to cook up some missions over the days and send a resume then.

I don't think this should be coming from Reverie's mouth (bad for PR, understandably), but they cannot legally employ anyone under 16. Hence you may be able to get 'in' if you refused pay, and was a contributor instead. Not sure if that's up your alley, but yeah anyways. Konstantin will hopefully say 'yay' or 'nay' as to whether I'm correct in assuming as such.

LiTos456
10-02-2009, 01:14 PM
He stated in the first or second post that the internal scenario designer position doesn't recquire you to be 16.

Josh Warner
10-02-2009, 01:46 PM
He stated in the first or second post that the internal scenario designer position doesn't recquire you to be 16.

You could be an intern. In order to be 'hired' however you need to be 16 due to labor laws. Now I'm not sure if they could legally compensate you, I know they can't pay you directly with a salary/hourly though.

LiTos456
10-02-2009, 05:53 PM
I don't need payment. I'm talking about the intern job.
I'm actually not going to apply so let's move the topic on.

Dan Riddell
10-03-2009, 06:28 AM
Is my format acceptable for my application or should I change?

Thanks,

SoV

Alex Walz
10-03-2009, 09:01 AM
I created a possible template (http://www.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=51&tn=40&st=27#post28) for anyone having trouble with the resume portion. :) You don't have to use this template, of course, but it will work and you can just plug your details in. It's best formatted for North American high schoolers but with a few alterations, could be for anyone.

Good luck to all those who apply. :) Still debating whether I should.

sneaky_squirrel
10-03-2009, 09:20 AM
I say go for it, DoF needs you, and you don;t need it.

Moonbiter
10-16-2009, 07:02 AM
Uhm. I'm a 2D artist who uses Photoshop to create full colour artwork which I can provide many examples of, but I've never really tried icons for games. I've done sigs and avatars for friends and would consider myself as a professional artist as people buy my work at galleries, so I'd be interested in whether I would be considered for the intern (simply because I don't have the experience with Illustrator). Would it be worth sending examples of my commercial work to you?

I have questions about dpi of work, the pixel dimensions of icons, so I can work out whether I can do this, as I wouldn't waste your time if I know it's too different.

Joseph Visscher
10-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Uhm. I'm a 2D artist who uses Photoshop to create full colour artwork which I can provide many examples of, but I've never really tried icons for games. I've done sigs and avatars for friends and would consider myself as a professional artist as people buy my work at galleries, so I'd be interested in whether I would be considered for the intern (simply because I don't have the experience with Illustrator). Would it be worth sending examples of my commercial work to you?

I have questions about dpi of work, the pixel dimensions of icons, so I can work out whether I can do this, as I wouldn't waste your time if I know it's too different.

By all means do so, Photoshop is all you will really need and if you have lots of previous work to show us then you have a good chance. we still need a talented artist. Moonbiter by all means send in a application and then pm me on these forums and we'll talk from there.

Darathor
10-18-2009, 12:19 PM
Oh woah, I didn't look at the forums for a few days. I came back and saw a bunch of new Reverie guys that I've never seen before and was confused. But congratulations to the new interns!

Josh Warner
10-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Oh woah, I didn't look at the forums for a few days. I came back and saw a bunch of new Reverie guys that I've never seen before and was confused. But congratulations to the new interns!

I hadn't considered suggesting it since Joseph did it for me when he updated my account - but adding our aliases to our sigs might be worth it for those that have lots of old posts. Might make a little more sense.

Joseph Visscher
10-18-2009, 02:21 PM
I hadn't considered suggesting it since Joseph did it for me when he updated my account - but adding our aliases to our sigs might be worth it for those that have lots of old posts. Might make a little more sense.

Hey that doesn't matter, we still see all of your old posts just with your new name; and now you can kick ass with super moderator powers. Rule breakers beware, Josh Warner is on duty 24/7 and he has a ban hammer. :P

Josh Warner
10-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Hey that doesn't matter, we still see all of your old posts just with your new name; and now you can kick ass with super moderator powers. Rule breakers beware, Josh Warner is on duty 24/7 and he has a ban hammer. :P

haha, I just recognized a few of the new people by their old names, so I had to ask each of the new interns what their old forum handle was :p

And yeah I check the forums every 30 minutes at the latest while I'm awake, usually more often, so best behave everyone!

LiTos456
10-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Wow, dang, Haeso, so weird to see you with the whole Reverie name and everything.
...rreally weird.
Well looks like you won't be needing my key now.

Josh Warner
10-18-2009, 11:23 PM
Wow, dang, Haeso, so weird to see you with the whole Reverie name and everything.
...rreally weird.
Well looks like you won't be needing my key now.

only reason I'd want it now is for my gf, but do what you will with the key. I'm
not sure if she'll have enough time to play by the time beta is here anyway, I'll just bug someone to let her in the third or fourth beta phase if so!

Oh and that could've been taken the wrong way pretty easily the way that was worded ye of little faith. :p

LiTos456
10-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Keep the key for now, if you can't find a good enough use for it we can talk about it.
Oh and as for the Reverie thing I totally got rejected again >.> but I'm not done yet! D:<

Josh Warner
10-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Keep the key for now, if you can't find a good enough use for it we can talk about it.
Oh and as for the Reverie thing I totally got rejected again >.> but I'm not done yet! D:<

-nods- I appreciate it, if she doesn't have time I'll make sure to let you know so someone who can take advantage of it can use it. And good luck!

Grim
10-19-2009, 03:58 PM
I'm unsure on which to do but im doing scripting... i sent in my resume but i feel like i wont be able to do the scripting since i never to C# but ive used other types... my free time has been limited and i feel bad if i am not able to complete something given as an assignment... so if i take the demo i will learn it but what bout java... is that use it too? Im curious cuz id like this job... it would be fun but then again i saw engineering and im planning on going to college for something in engineering... just dunno what field :D think you can assist me in getting more info of what job to officially ask for :D

perpetual_noob
10-23-2009, 04:09 AM
Are Reverie still looking for Intern Scenario Scripters?

Joseph Visscher
10-24-2009, 07:06 PM
Don't think so man, you can send your app regardless though incase we do later...

Asatru
10-25-2009, 07:45 AM
Heya,

I recently finish my studie Multi Media design.
So i can use a great deal of programme's, like photoshop & flash ( art work & writing code )
Intern 2D Digital Artist would be best suited for myself as i tend to do art work above writing code ( the long nights of code writing.. i will never be the same again! )

If you guys are still looking for people let me know!

-Asatru

averyw
10-28-2009, 03:07 PM
I am also interested in finding out if you are still hiring for your 2D Digital Artist position. I worked on the models and textures for the humans along, long time ago. I sent a email to your jobs email but wasnt sure if Id get a faster response here if your still hiring or if Im re hirable. I would hope I would be since we just ran out of things to do till there was a publisher.
Please get back to me when ever you can.

Thanks
Avery Willmann

Moonbiter
11-03-2009, 06:27 AM
Joseph...I've pm'ed you and sent in my resume. Sorry I was late, but I've had Swine Flu, which was highly enjoyable of course. I think the Tamiflu treatment is worse than the virus :)

LiTos456
11-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Ouch, was it bad?

Moonbiter
11-03-2009, 10:55 AM
Uhm. Bad is not the right word. I actually got worried I was going to die, as did my wifey. To be honest though, the Tamiflu makes you sick constantly, so that was probably a good part of it. It's like the worst hangover ever, plus the worst flu ever rolled into one.....thanks for asking though :)

LiTos456
11-03-2009, 08:50 PM
I heard it was deadly but you're I think the second person who is okay after experiencing it. I'm glad you're alright, swine flu isn't the best thing to keep you un-stressed.

Moonbiter
11-04-2009, 02:49 AM
It's not totally deadly as such. Most people survive it, and the death toll in the UK isn't as high as elsewhere, but, yes, it can kill people. I was 'lucky' enough to have Viral Encephalytis when I was 14, so they shoved half a ton of stuff in me, very quickly.

What they're worried about is that they expect it to mutate and return at Christmas in a far more deadly form, which is why the whole country (!) is being vaccinated before then.

Sorry if we're off topic here....

Asatru
11-05-2009, 06:07 AM
Acutely since we are on the topic :P

I had it as well, and swine flue it self isn't that bad ( people make it sound like its really deadly and all ).

I cured from it without taking the tamiflu, the biggest problem is though you get other things really easily as well, and that's what killing people, i got lucky and just had swine flue so it wasn't all that bad, just 2 weeks of being in bed :)

But back on topic now, i wonder if they are still hiring people !

Tbeaz161
11-05-2009, 09:55 AM
I was wondering how important college is for game design. Do you need it? Should you get it? Do you really recommend a sort of college?

Henry Martin
11-05-2009, 12:56 PM
I was wondering how important college is for game design. Do you need it? Should you get it? Do you really recommend a sort of college?

As most developers want the employees to have a BA in computer science would make it important, but its like any other industry as its highly recommended and would increase you chances to get hired.

I myself in college for game design. I don't know how other schools are, but the school I'm at has few teachers that where in the industry. A few of my teachers worked at Atari. I think if you go to a school with that kind of faculty it can help your chances of making into the industry and learn things that you might not otherwise learn. I attend Brown College in Minnesota.

Sorry for the off topic.

Puppeteer
11-05-2009, 03:34 PM
It's not that off topic, don't worry.
I think it helps you get contacts, which is invaluable. I don't study computer design, and am not planning on doing so!

blackfang
01-04-2010, 07:17 AM
If i were to even think about this, should i go to a university or straight to The computer courses, i mean if i ever think of game designing, i would of course jump at this chance if it was not for that i am without much experience. I got a very low amount of time in front of visual basic but that is not really much to brag about. So to be simple, i am choosing what course to take for next school year and would simply like to ask if university is better to go to first or straight to It og data like it is named in Norwegian:)

I will end up in either the gaming industry or in the military anyway so why not get the info needed before i choose from people who does it:D

massenic
01-05-2010, 03:11 AM
If you want to get into game design/development (those 2 are not the same), I think following a university education is adviced. But when you decide to go into the game development world, you must be sure about it!

I can't speak for educations other than my own, but I am having a huge amount of work throughout the whole year. I have seen how, and we're only half way of the first year, more than 1/3 of the students already quit the eduction because of the amount of work.
That constant pressure off course makes you learn very much at a fast pace (if you can handle it).

Remember these are only my personal experiences after a half year of game designing education. Whatever school you would go to might be completely different.

blackfang
01-05-2010, 05:13 AM
Well i am not sure about anything, and i know if i want to be anything i have to be dedicated to it... We will see perhaps i might do it, but i am not sure about anything throughout my entire life "except that i want to play this game and a small amount of other things" Maybe i get sure about something later on:)

massenic
01-05-2010, 05:25 AM
2 things you also might keep in mind:
Playing games is not equal to making games. It's a whole other thing I often hear people say they enjoy games less since they started developing (was talking about it yesterday with a few other students). While I still enjoy games as much as I used to, I can confirm that you look at a game from another point of view. It has happened more than once that I got killed in a shooter while examining the texture of a 3d object in the game.

I also noticed that a lot of small bugs I would have never noticed a year ago, don't go unseen now. But as I said, I'm not experiencing frustrations because of point 2. It changes from person to person

blackfang
01-05-2010, 08:52 AM
well i do not enjoy any games at all i just use it to pass time, i hope this of course changes but the only reason i play games at all is to keep myself busy. So i do not see where i could be affected by number 2 and number 1 well i know, i designed my very own calculator... I guess it is kinda the same:) The only real reason for me being interested in game making is that i feel that is the most interesting subject i can find in school. I mean like i would never even THINK of becoming a lawyer or something like that, it burns my mind just thinking of it:mad: So i will at least choose something that i can have fun with once in a while, while doing it!

To put it simply games are a way of waisting time for me, and the time goes fast when doing it because it is more enjoyable then most things happening in my boring life... Thats why in the simplest terms

Henry Martin
01-09-2010, 07:34 PM
lol, I heard that so much when I first start going to school for game design/development. I started with around 25 other students and there is only 4 people that are still from that starting class (including me). Most left by the 2nd quarter.

I started with that thought of "I like to play games well.." and from watching tech/dev diarys, so I checked out some schools. When I got in, one of my first teacher tried to scare us, saying we won't make it. The only thing that kicked my ass was programming.

I actual find myself playing more games, both looking at them as a gamer and developer.

I suggest before going to a college (thats if you are thing about it) learn something that interest you about game design/development and getting on a mod team that is very active, sets deadlines and see how it feels. I see so many people wasting 1000s of dollar doing nothing and eventual dropping out or becoming a graphic designer.

massenic
01-10-2010, 03:35 AM
1/3 were already gone before a half year:)

Too much people who start such an education just think they'll be able to play games all the time, but as I said earlier, playing and making games is something totally different. Which doesn't mean you can't combine them (if you have the time).

blackfang
01-10-2010, 04:02 AM
Well i kinda know what it means being some kinda game thingie:) But i do not want to end up working in a store somewhere, too boring it seems... Also i either gotta do something that got with excitement to do, or something i get rewarded good when i actually do something:D

Henry Martin
01-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Were not trying to scare you off just warn you that it's work and not fun all the time. There are days that I just don't want to model or level design (and I love level designing).

Also if you deside to look at schools (not neccessary, but to help out a lot) for game design/development, look at a school that does everything. Companies are looking for people who can do more then one job, especially small dev companies (or indie companies). You can still have you specialized area.

blackfang
01-10-2010, 10:45 AM
designing is not my strong side (everything related to heaving a steady hand is not my strong side at all):( but i will see where i end up:D

Henry Martin
01-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Edit:Is Reverie World Studios going to have any job/internships in the near future. I graduate in december of this year and hoping maybe for the chance to apply.

I am trying to do as much portfolio work as I can. I got a few things for it. I need to get some levels for it.

Sorry for the other sentence, it sound bad, like I was asking for a job at a gas station.

housefull
01-25-2010, 07:51 AM
Thanks a lot Joseph, and thanks a lot to all of you guys. Congratulations to the rest of the team as well for getting promoted and Jean for becoming a moderator as well!
I'm really glad I finally have the opportunity to be of assistance to these forums as well as finally being able to kick that shameful bottom of those bloody advertisers that have been ..making me mad... for the last few weeks.
Once again, thank you everyone, and congratulations to the rest!

Konstantin Fomenko
01-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Is Reverie World Studios going to have any job/internships in the near future

Yeah - in the near future we`ll start massive expansion of the team. Our plan is to bring around 6-8 scenario scripter and level designers, as well as a few 3D max artists and animators on-board to be trained and ready with-in 6 months to become our strike team for DoF I support and additional quests, while the main staff moves on to produce our second game, and possible DoF expansion.

So stay tuned. Meanwhile - we are not accepting new applications at least until March.

However - if there are any talented sound designers who wanna apply - e-mail us as jobs@reverieworld.com - we`ll have formal announcement soon.

Henry Martin
01-26-2010, 06:43 AM
Ok, thanks for answering my question. I hope to apply for a position when the times comes.

JDmino
01-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Yeah - in the near future we`ll start massive expansion of the team. Our plan is to bring around 6-8 scenario scripter and level designers, as well as a few 3D max artists and animators on-board to be trained and ready with-in 6 months to become our strike team for DoF I support and additional quests, while the main staff moves on to produce our second game, and possible DoF expansion.

So stay tuned. Meanwhile - we are not accepting new applications at least until March.

However - if there are any talented sound designers who wanna apply - e-mail us as jobs@reverieworld.com - we`ll have formal announcement soon.

Coolies, I will have to try-out for scenario scripter next time I get the chance. :D

Alex Walz
01-26-2010, 06:54 PM
You'll also be able to start practicing as soon as you get the editor, and the less training we have to do, the better your chances. :)

Henry Martin
01-27-2010, 07:26 AM
I would like to tryout for level designer. I'm also pretty comfertoble with 3ds max.

I can't to get ahold of the editor.

massenic
01-27-2010, 11:51 AM
Are you guys talking about full time jobs that require you to be at the company?

Henry Martin
01-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Are you guys talking about full time jobs that require you to be at the company?

Yes that is a good question.

Darathor
01-27-2010, 04:31 PM

I don't think that you would have to "be at the company" because I believe that they work in a virtual office sort of thing.

Alex Walz
01-27-2010, 05:19 PM
We hope to set up an actual office in Toronto later this year. So if you're in the Ontario area, that will really help your chances but we'll still be hiring outsiders. Jobs range from 15 hours/week to full-time.

Henry Martin
01-27-2010, 05:45 PM
So even if I am from the united states and willing to move to that area? Im from minnesota which shares a border with ontario.

Alex Walz
01-30-2010, 10:22 PM
Minnesota may share a border with Ontario, but it's still a long way from Toronto. ;) You probably wouldn't have to move there unless you wanted to. If you could drive up for a meeting every month or two, I'm sure that would work just fine. A good percentage of our team lives in or around Toronto or New York.

Anyway, an actual office isn't guaranteed as it all depends on funding and reception. We may keep with the virtual approach.

Henry Martin
01-31-2010, 12:06 AM
Ok, yeah pretty far from toronto. I plan on moving from minnesota around the time I finish college. I've lived here too long and need some different scenery.

wou129
03-30-2010, 02:13 AM
are you guys stil looking fore people becose im starting an ict education (dont know if you got any thing on theat tho teaks 4 years forre me to compleat)

otomotopia
03-30-2010, 05:48 AM
Alex, to giveyou an update, I'm going to be about 5 minutes from Champlain ITL, which is a managable drive to Toronto, and of course a quick flight. With some advance notice, I'll be fine financially and willing to fly out. I'll start updating and creating some higher quality work for my portfolio.

LiTos456
03-30-2010, 07:22 AM
Minnesota may share a border with Ontario, but it's still a long way from Toronto. ;) You probably wouldn't have to move there unless you wanted to. If you could drive up for a meeting every month or two, I'm sure that would work just fine. A good percentage of our team lives in or around Toronto or New York.

Anyway, an actual office isn't guaranteed as it all depends on funding and reception. We may keep with the virtual approach.

New York? Yay! I live in New York!
Though I still lack the necessary skills and personal characteristics required to get a job at a game dev. I'm starting to study stuff though, I'll be playing with CryEngine and hoping to learn C++ and Lua along the way.

nickson104
03-30-2010, 11:02 AM
are you guys stil looking fore people becose im starting an ict education (dont know if you got any thing on theat tho teaks 4 years forre me to compleat)

What do you study in your course? In the UK ICT is a near pointless subject and is nowhere near adequate for developing games, however it may be different where you are from :)

I saw this months ago and thought, great! its an amazing opportunity... And now after several months of computing in college and I have realised... it can be pretty difficult, I am still on a very basic level of Visual Basic coding (no pun intended) I would love to try to learn some other languages (especially more useful ones to this industry) however for now i must truly concentrate on VB, cant afford to fail... Although I am heading that way because of gaming and procrastination :(

wou129
04-01-2010, 04:07 AM
What do you study in your course? In the UK ICT is a near pointless subject and is nowhere near adequate for developing games, however it may be different where you are from :)

I saw this months ago and thought, great! its an amazing opportunity... And now after several months of computing in college and I have realised... it can be pretty difficult, I am still on a very basic level of Visual Basic coding (no pun intended) I would love to try to learn some other languages (especially more useful ones to this industry) however for now i must truly concentrate on VB, cant afford to fail... Although I am heading that way because of gaming and procrastination :(

in the first your its prity uch as you say the basic nothing you can use making games but in the sacend year you can choose between stuf like programing graphig disine and internet making

otomotopia
05-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Is there any new information you can give us on this subject, Alex or Kon?

Henry Martin
05-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Yes I would like to know too.

Aelfwine
05-16-2010, 11:57 PM
Are you guys still hiring? or is it all filled out?

LiTos456
05-17-2010, 01:29 PM
This was quite a long time ago, so no.