PDA

View Full Version : Another interesting idea for financing future projects

szebus
09-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Another interesting idea for financing future projects (http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/contact-us/exclusive-tester/agreement.html) thought by Digitalmindsoft (http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/), creator of Men of War (http://www.menofwargame.com/).

Here is what Instinct the Managing Director of DMS say:

http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/outcoming/devupdate/thumb/dms.png

DMS is offering a cool option to our fans that can no longer wait for our next games or want to contribute their opinion on a very early stage.

For a very limited time, users can buy an exclusive tester membership at DMS that allows you to test games for a couple of months or up to a year. This membership provides you access to internal tester forums and gives you the opportunity to speak directly to the developer team as well.

It's guaranteed that a minimum of 1 project is open for testing, for instance in multiplayer, or limited access to singleplayer. Including minimum monthly updates or more!

How does it work?

Go to our subscription page (http://www.digitalmindsoft.eu/contact-us/exclusive-tester.html), choose the months you wish to test
Enter your payment details at paypal and at the end of the process fill out the text field "Enter your DMS forums account here" with your forums nickname
Wait for DMS contacting you, may take up to 48 hours
Check the internal forums for further information and downloads!

The first testing starts next week and is a must for all MoW fans, so hurry up!

It's also an excellent way to support DMS and help us maintaining high quality.

P.S. It could be a good strategy for Reverie to, for future projects. (suggestion)

Darathor
09-29-2009, 03:09 PM
So this is for people who really want to play/test the game to pay to play it in its alpha or earlier version?

Josh Warner
09-29-2009, 03:41 PM
I suppose selling keys isn't that bad of an idea - as long as it's a limited number and they give out keys to valued community members for free as well. It's not like people that get keys don't sell them. Every beta I've been a part of there have been people selling keys on ebay and other sites, why not have the company do it instead of letting those people make a quick buck off of their generosity.

JDmino
09-29-2009, 05:04 PM
I suppose selling keys isn't that bad of an idea - as long as it's a limited number and they give out keys to valued community members for free as well. It's not like people that get keys don't sell them. Every beta I've been a part of there have been people selling keys on ebay and other sites, why not have the company do it instead of letting those people make a quick buck off of their generosity.

I get so annoyed when I see people selling their beta keys. There are people who deserved them more and they just get them for profit. Then people who have never heard of the game buy the key(Not all bad, it would bring a new fan or two) just to beat the other guys spending their money on a game that they have been following since it started being produced.

Joseph Visscher
09-29-2009, 06:28 PM
So, this is basicly making QA testers pay us, make our beta testers that we badly need to help us fix and better the game... Pay us? The logic is beyond me. It is exactly the same as a Doctor paying you to fix your broken leg. Sounds more like a lite scam for stupid fans.

I think Reverie should stick with the Influence purchasing system, helps us and everyone else enjoy the game better.

Chris Harshman
09-29-2009, 06:36 PM
So, this is basicly making QA testers pay us, make our beta testers that we badly need to help us fix and better the game... Pay us? The logic is beyond me. It is exactly the same as a Doctor paying you to fix your broken leg. Sounds more like a lite scam for stupid fans.

I think Reverie should stick with the Influence purchasing system, helps us and everyone else enjoy the game better.

Thats what I thought

I have heard of and evcen pre-ordered a game to get into a beta test, but I was going to play it anyways, so it was a plus, but paying to become a tester sounds strange, and I would question how much legal paper work that would require.

Josh Warner
09-29-2009, 07:07 PM

I think this was just for beta, and it by no means should ever be the primary method for allowing people in or replace influence, it's just used as a very limited supplemental thing. It doesn't seem that bad of an idiea. Put a handful of them up on top of the methods you're already using to give out keys. It gives you guys some money and lets people that don't win contests/join too late to stand out in the community get in.

In the end, there are going to be people willing to pay for a beta key, and there are going to be people selected to join the beta that would rather sell their keys than be in the beta. Why let them sell something is yours, when you could sell it yourself I suppose. Again though, just as an alternative option for the people that really want to join the beta but can't be part of the community/do contests for whatever reason, or that just join the community too late. most of the beta people should be chosen from the community then the contest.

I really hate the idea of it being the only way into a beta, that does seem ridiculous and greedy, but there are a decent amount of people that for various reasons would pay to get into the beta and help test/try the game early. Hell - I've considered buying beta keys for several games, I ended up getting in on community participation/luck for the few I would have though. I'd consider it even moreso if buying the key would support the company instead of some lowlife essentially scalping his key.

Darathor
09-29-2009, 07:32 PM
I think this was just for beta, and it by no means should ever be the primary method for allowing people in or replace influence, it's just used as a very limited supplemental thing. .

I don't think he meant that it would replace it, I think that he meant that he wants to just stick with it alone for money.

Joseph Visscher
09-29-2009, 08:57 PM
I think this was just for beta, and it by no means should ever be the primary method for allowing people in or replace influence, it's just used as a very limited supplemental thing.

I don't think he meant that it would replace it, I think that he meant that he wants to just stick with it alone for money.

Yes, I'm sorry Haeso I mean this:

http://reverieworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19079&postcount=31

http://reverieworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19101&postcount=34

As it is a way for us to make some money on the side which will let us make more in dawn of fantasy content after release rather then abandoning everyone and making a second title, with this we will do both at the same time without losing money in the process and keeping dawn of fantasy fans happy with a flow of new content made possible by the purchases of "influence" that will be used in dawn of fantasy (nothings final yet). Everyone wins, even the Doctor mentioned above(you reading this).

Try to keep this thread on topic people its a good topic...

The_Biz
09-29-2009, 11:42 PM
it's a cool way to make money off of obsessive fanboys

wills370
09-30-2009, 03:06 AM
I think its not right to be hounest. You are making people who are making there game better and in essence testing the game as the company never could without delaying the game pay to have that opurtunity.

Yes it may be a quick buck and yes some people would probably pay for it but it just isent right in my mind as i can see it.

Beta testers should be reserved for the select few who have shown commitment,constructive points and understanding of what the game needs to become. NOT who has the fattest wallet.

I am glad to see that reverie agrees with or wont take this system on board.

szebus
09-30-2009, 08:43 AM
My personal opinion is, that for real fans it is a worthy. Think positive, this way you can participate from the alpha stage of a game and not only the beta. The fee is for 6months or 1 year and this way if the company makes let's say 2 or 3 games at the same time, you can have the opportunity to test them all and even discuss it with the devs in another way knowing that you sponsor a game. Yes, this is it, think to it as a donation for the game you love and want to evolve. I'm not saying Reverie should do the same as they have the influence system, but for other game projects this could work out for Reverie as well.

Ironic
09-30-2009, 08:52 AM
A lot of games are taking this path these days, as in you only get in beta if u pay for it or preorder, like Aion, Fallen Earth and Mortal Online have done. Im inclined to agree with what most of you are saying in that i disagree in principle in paying for an unfinished product

That said if dof did this i would definitly pony up the cash ( but please dont :p )
theres a paradox for you:rolleyes:

Chris Harshman
09-30-2009, 09:23 AM
A lot of games are taking this path these days, as in you only get in beta if u pay for it or preorder, like Aion, Fallen Earth and Mortal Online have done. Im inclined to agree with what most of you are saying in that i disagree in principle in paying for an unfinished product

That said if dof did this i would definitly pony up the cash ( but please dont :p )
theres a paradox for you:rolleyes:

See That is an ok idea, because you are collecting sales early, but this program does not pay for your game, you still have to pay full priuce for it at release.

wills370
09-30-2009, 09:33 AM
My personal opinion is, that for real fans it is a worthy. Think positive, this way you can participate from the alpha stage of a game and not only the beta. The fee is for 6months or 1 year and this way if the company makes let's say 2 or 3 games at the same time, you can have the opportunity to test them all and even discuss it with the devs in another way knowing that you sponsor a game. Yes, this is it, think to it as a donation for the game you love and want to evolve. I'm not saying Reverie should do the same as they have the influence system, but for other game projects this could work out for Reverie as well.

I think to participate from the alpha. You are affectivly paying to play a game which needs your advice. You are doing them a favour at that stage by giving them your findings.

And theres nothing to stop the program in alpha stage crashing all the time or glitching to name but a few as the scripting is very raw. So affectivly you are paying the company to be there tester/developer filling out glitch/error reports galore taking up your time and helping them make more money on the outset by producing a better game. it just seems stupid to me. I wouldent mind so much if at the end you could possibly redeem your fee or get the game free when it does come out. (after all you would of payed more than enough money to make it what it is). But otherwise i just think it is scam.

The only time i can see this been anything else is possibly in the late stages of the beta. When you are paying for the privalige to be the first to play it, being as it is so close to completion etc. that i can understand.

szebus
09-30-2009, 11:33 AM
But otherwise i just think it is scam.

LoL, as paying to play WoW wouldn't be, thus no one force you to play and not even to pay. Still I repeat my self and if someone is a fan then it is worth it to pay 24euros for a year if that is a way how you can support you're favorite game, plus You test it and have multiple contributions this way.

Josh Warner
09-30-2009, 12:43 PM
I think its not right to be hounest. You are making people who are making there game better and in essence testing the game as the company never could without delaying the game pay to have that opurtunity.

Yes it may be a quick buck and yes some people would probably pay for it but it just isent right in my mind as i can see it.

Beta testers should be reserved for the select few who have shown commitment,constructive points and understanding of what the game needs to become. NOT who has the fattest wallet.

I am glad to see that reverie agrees with or wont take this system on board.

The idea is you're not making people if you use just this method, and keep the keys they're already giving out on top of this. I don't think anyone wants to see a beta that is solely decided by paying for keys.

The only time i can see this been anything else is possibly in the late stages of the beta. When you are paying for the privalige to be the first to play it, being as it is so close to completion etc. that i can understand.

Whether or not you agree or understand it, there will always be people selling keys and those buying them. If the company itself sells some on top of traditional way of giving out keys ie; to those that deserve them it's perfectly fine and just gives another option for those that wish it and gives the company a little money. Even if it was the only way to get into beta - people would still pay. As far as expendable income goes, paying to get an early look at and help test out a game I think I'll be playing for years to come is a good deal for me.

wills370
09-30-2009, 05:36 PM
The idea is you're not making people if you use just this method, and keep the keys they're already giving out on top of this. I don't think anyone wants to see a beta that is solely decided by paying for keys.
I never said they would? What people choose to spend there money on is completly up to them.

Whether or not you agree or understand it, there will always be people selling keys and those buying them. If the company itself sells some on top of traditional way of giving out keys ie; to those that deserve them it's perfectly fine and just gives another option for those that wish it and gives the company a little money. Even if it was the only way to get into beta - people would still pay. As far as expendable income goes, paying to get an early look at and help test out a game I think I'll be playing for years to come is a good deal for me.

It goes without saying that there will always be people who abuse the system and will always profit out of it. (the tickets to charity events involving celebrity's being a prime example).I was not saying that the company couldent sell the keys just ensuring that thoose who are commited to the project dont get overlooked . But i was objecting to thoose company's that will use this for sole selection. (As im sure some games may entail if it proves successful buying odst for the new halo reach beta being a example of this in some way), i am fully supportive of company's trying to find extra revenue and other forms of money but i just dont like this idea. That being my personal opinion and i havent said that anyone elses should be otherwise.

Josh Warner
09-30-2009, 06:47 PM
I never said they would? What people choose to spend there money on is completly up to them.

"I think its not right to be hounest. You are making people who are making there game better and in essence testing the game as the company never could without delaying the game pay to have that opurtunity."

It sounds like you did, my apologies if I misunderstand.

It goes without saying that there will always be people who abuse the system and will always profit out of it. (the tickets to charity events involving celebrity's being a prime example).I was not saying that the company couldent sell the keys just ensuring that thoose who are commited to the project dont get overlooked . But i was objecting to thoose company's that will use this for sole selection. (As im sure some games may entail if it proves successful buying odst for the new halo reach beta being a example of this in some way), i am fully supportive of company's trying to find extra revenue and other forms of money but i just dont like this idea. That being my personal opinion and i havent said that anyone elses should be otherwise.

Nobody wants buying keys to be the only method, we all agree to that, even Rev. I'm just saying it's a valid option on top of giving keys for contests/community contribution/activity.

wills370
10-01-2009, 12:52 AM
It sounds like you did, my apologies if I misunderstand.
No problem, its hard to tell sometimes.

Nobody wants buying keys to be the only method, we all agree to that, even Rev. I'm just saying it's a valid option on top of giving keys for contests/community contribution/activity.

True, i would be ok with that, for thoose who really want to be apart of it but have been to late either gaining activity etc to be included.