PDA

View Full Version : Coding Languages?

nickson104
09-21-2009, 05:33 PM
I am new to computing, Am studying computing at As Level this year and A Level next year... My college uses Visual Basic as its only language...

Just wondering what you guys think is the most useful langauge(s)?

(sorry if I sound moronic :) :P)

Josh Warner
09-21-2009, 06:07 PM
I am new to computing, Am studying computing at As Level this year and A Level next year... My college uses Visual Basic as its only language...

Just wondering what you guys think is the most useful langauge(s)?

(sorry if I sound moronic :) :P)

Really it depends on what you want to do entirely. Lua is great for anything that you need to embed for example.

The_Biz
09-21-2009, 11:37 PM
c++ is probably the most useful in the "most utilized" sense of the word

but it isn't really great for learning

Konstantin Fomenko
09-22-2009, 08:40 AM
Visual Basic is good start. That`s what I studied back in Uni.

Lua is easy to pick up - and lots of game use lua based scripting these days.

But if you plan to pursue a more core programming career in the future, you`ll need C++, and Microsoft Visual Studio - this is where what you learn now with Visual Basic will come in handy.

nickson104
09-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Visual Basic is good start. That`s what I studied back in Uni.

Lua is easy to pick up - and lots of game use lua based scripting these days.

But if you plan to pursue a more core programming career in the future, you`ll need C++, and Microsoft Visual Studio - this is where what you learn now with Visual Basic will come in handy.

Thank you all :) And thank you for planning my life for me Kon :) :p
so C++ is one I shall have to pursue at a later date when I get some sort of a grasp on VB :p

Core Prgramming is probably most likely hehe... However Game Programming would indeed be interesting.... I am MOST interested by the course offered by Abertay University (Dundee, Scotland)... http://www.abertay.ac.uk/studying/find/pg/cgd/ It looks a rather impressive Course, however that would be far in the future... a degree in a related subject is necessary first...

Grim
10-19-2009, 05:24 PM
very interesting.. ive used VB and VWD both seemed easy to get just now i took a look and Lua does seem easy to get just its completely altering the codes i use O_O