PDA

View Full Version : Playing from multiple computers...

Konstantin Fomenko
09-21-2009, 03:02 PM
This week`s poll is something we have to workout with our network programmer asap.

It looks like we can save two months of additional network programming, as well as improve security, if we only allow players to login into the MMORTS world from only one computer. There will be system to manually transfer files from one computer to another in order to play - but a bit messy, and you`ll have do this every time you are switching computers.

How would this impact you? Do you usually play MMORTS from several computers (home, school, work)? Do you think it`s worth additional two months of delay?

LiTos456
09-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Yeah do it. It'll be a huge screw up for some people if it's not there.

The Witch King of Angmar
09-21-2009, 03:54 PM
Sorry if I'm being a noob here, but you mean if we play the game from 2 seperate computers that we own (ex: regular computer and laptop)?

Thanks

Jean=A=Luc
09-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Not worth it.

Konstantin Fomenko
09-21-2009, 04:07 PM
but you mean if we play the game from 2 separate computers that we own (ex: regular computer and laptop)?
Yeah, exactly.

Josh Warner
09-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Two questions:
1: Is this something you could work on after release and add it in later on if the game is successful enough to warrant taking the time.
2: Not much of a question but it SHOULD be possible to create a simple app that takes all the required files and copies them, then you could just paste them into an email and send it to yourself or copy those files onto a thumbdrive and take that with you, then you have a second function for the app the pastes them in the right spot, and you could just configure it for whatever directory the game is installed at, or have it be used from inside the installation folder itself.

Me personally I don't regularly switch, if I end up switching it'll likely be because I got a new computer or something, so it won't be often. For me I'd definitely say two months earlier. I think for those that switch regularly if they have something that will take and copy all of the files for them, then paste it for them on the other PC so the only thing you'd have to do is hit 'copy' and send yourself an email or something, that would be pretty much painless. Now I certainly couldn't make such a thing, but I can't see why it wouldn't be possible. I could be wrong, of course. But it's something to look into.

nickson104
09-21-2009, 05:29 PM
How would this impact you? Do you usually play MMORTS from several computers (home, school, work)? Do you think it`s worth additional two months of delay?

I personally only use my pc generally, I just cannot install stuff on anothers pc, I feel as if I have wronged them or something lol :) :p

I think it may be something that can be implemented after release? Most people will play from just their pc, it's not as if their going to install it on many different computers so they can check their cities, People do so with games uch as Ikariam and Ogame as they are easily accessible and take nothing... However I cannot see this happening with this game, Installing the game on multiple computers just seems far too much hassle, also load screens eliminate chances of fast checking your cities... So that eliminates school and work in the most part... Leaves just home really... In which case people will not have many computers and will probably stick to the one...

No it is not worth delaying for I think...

Josh Warner
09-21-2009, 05:31 PM
I personally only use my pc generally, I just cannot install stuff on anothers pc, I feel as if I have wronged them or something lol :) :p

I think it may be something that can be implemented after release? Most people will play from just their pc, it's not as if their going to install it on many different computers so they can check their cities, People do so with games uch as Ikariam and Ogame as they are easily accessible and take nothing... However I cannot see this happening with this game, Installing the game on multiple computers just seems far too much hassle, also load screens eliminate chances of fast checking your cities... So that eliminates school and work in the most part... Leaves just home really... In which case people will not have many computers and will probably stick to the one...

No it is not worth delaying for I think...

And unlike the browser games, actual combat is real time unless you want your army to get played by AI and get rolled you can't just 'check in' on your game every few minutes.

Chris Harshman
09-21-2009, 05:35 PM
So at different times?

And it would all depend on how easy it is to do the transfer, if it takes 5 minutes and a data traveller, I say forget it for release, but if it takes following alot of steps push the game back.

It also depends on whether or not you plan on added it in after release.

Darathor
09-21-2009, 05:38 PM
I personally would probably only have it on one computer to play it on, nah, not really, I'll probably have it on 3 or so and play it on a different one every so often. It would be great if you could just sign in on an account no matter what computer like most mmorpg's. While not necessary at all, it would be good for conveniences sake, best not to be too frustrating, however, if it would really take that long, don't do it! Take one from "Must have feature" as I wasn't thinking when I voted. It's not worth delaying it, especially for two months. If it could be added later it would be cool, but isn't necessary at all.

Konstantin Fomenko
09-21-2009, 06:32 PM
For the transfer imagine playing some other RTS game in single-player and transferring your saved game files to another comp.
Instead you will run utility program from the Dawn of Fantasy start menu that creates a small file on your desktop that you can e-mail or put on a flash drive, and "install" on the other computer.

Aothane
09-21-2009, 06:36 PM
although I can see the advantages of the more expedient option, I think the surest approach would be to compare with similar models of other mmo games. Basically if a significant portion of the potential playe rbase/market is already accustomed to the option of multiple computers then although another source of delay it may well be for the best in the long term.

edit: just read the last post, well it depends on how user-friendly the transfer process ultimately is, the first post referred to the same as "messy", so it really depends on how convenient or inconvenient this process would be.

Josh Warner
09-21-2009, 06:53 PM
For the transfer imagine playing some other RTS game in single-player and transferring your saved game files to another comp.
Instead you will run utility program from the Dawn of Fantasy start menu that creates a small file on your desktop that you can e-mail or put on a flash drive, and "install" on the other computer.

Sounds like what I was talking about, shouldn't take more than a minute to do it that way.

fyro11
09-21-2009, 07:09 PM
although I can see the advantages of the more expedient option, I think the surest approach would be to compare with similar models of other mmo games. Basically if a significant portion of the potential playe rbase/market is already accustomed to the option of multiple computers then although another source of delay it may well be for the best in the long term.

edit: just read the last post, well it depends on how user-friendly the transfer process ultimately is, the first post referred to the same as "messy", so it really depends on how convenient or inconvenient this process would be.

Agreed. Thanks.

sneaky_squirrel
09-21-2009, 08:54 PM
So if isn't included, we can still transfer to another computer doing "this" manually, if so then I say we remove it (I only need to change computer's when I definitely change to a more powerful one).

Darvin
09-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Tough call... on the one hand this would only affect the MMO-component, and it would be possible to migrate over... but on the other hand it's a major pain in the ass for people who routinely play on two computers (say a desktop at home and a laptop at school). For me personally it's not worth delaying it for two months, but someone who is directly affected by this issue would doubtlessly disagree.

The_Biz
09-21-2009, 11:26 PM
I sometimes install games on multiple computers, but I don't have a problem transferring files manually.

i don't see how that corresponds to 2 months, but you're the ones making it...

i'd rather have the game sooner

Josh Warner
09-21-2009, 11:40 PM
I sometimes install games on multiple computers, but I don't have a problem transferring files manually.

Netcode is a pain in the ass. Seriously, you have no idea.

Josh Warner
09-21-2009, 11:43 PM

Netcode is a pain in the ass. Seriously, you have no idea. Even blizzard is taking around 6~ extra months to polish up theirs for bnet2.0.

Kire
09-22-2009, 07:10 AM
Thats too much work for lazy ppl =) ..... i have 2 comps, one while i am at studying place and one home, so this is too much of thinking and working so i decided it is worth of waiting 2 more months =P.
Edit: And this.....

The only part of the game that I think SHOULD be accessible by any computer you sign in on as yourself is the MMO,

raving
09-22-2009, 07:37 AM
i mostly play games from my main pc, but sometimes i do play them from my laptop. im not sure. 2 months is a long time. but for some people it will be a kick in the nuts if they dont have it.

Josh Warner
09-22-2009, 08:56 AM
Thats too much work for lazy ppl =) ..... i have 2 comps, one while i am at studying place and one home, so this is too much of thinking and working so i decided it is worth of waiting 2 more months =P.

clicking a button on the launcher, emailing yourself and double clicking the thing you emailed too hard : p?

Puppeteer
09-22-2009, 11:46 AM
I will only ever use one computer, but I think it's definitely worth it. I think it's an important feature for some people, and will cause a lot of grief if left out - imagine the numerous forum threads by one-time posters on the issue!
Two months? Although I can wait, it depends on the most opportune moment to release it, and when you want to release it. It's your call.

(People you overuse the word 'personally'. I think it's a horrible word, it's unnecessary).

nickson104
09-22-2009, 04:24 PM

I think it's an important feature for some people, and will cause a lot of grief if left out
Two months? Although I can wait, it depends on the most opportune moment to release it, and when you want to release it. It's your call.

(People you overuse the word 'personally'. I think it's a horrible word, it's unnecessary).

Just reading that method makes me feel tired... :p

The only part of the game that I think SHOULD be accessible by any computer you sign in on as yourself is the MMO, As mentioned possibly a system similar to that of Guild Wars' one... If you wanted to continue your campaign on a different computer then one must expect to have to transfer data in the abformentioned manner...

I think it would be painful to see the many threads on it... Also it also depends on whether during these 2 months there will be other work done to the game... If this is the ONLY thing to be implemented then I think no it is not worth it...

And aye Puppy... I didnt realise it until you mentioned actually :p Too many mentiones of 'that' word :p XD

Darathor
09-22-2009, 07:27 PM
Personally, when I use personally, it's because it's just my opinion and won't matter in the long run, so they should feel free to disregard it.

The Witch King of Angmar
09-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Yeah, exactly.

Definitely yes, then.

Henry Martin
09-22-2009, 10:11 PM
I think it would be a nice feature, but not essential.

szebus
09-23-2009, 03:43 AM
The only part of the game that I think SHOULD be accessible by any computer you sign in on as yourself is the MMO, As mentioned possibly a system similar to that of Guild Wars' one... If you wanted to continue your campaign on a different computer then one must expect to have to transfer data in the abformentioned manner... I think no it is not worth it...

I agree with that.

JDmino
09-23-2009, 05:18 AM
Well, it depends, would you be able to still play over lan with only one cdkey or cd?

wills370
09-23-2009, 08:15 AM
Personally i think that flexabily is vital for the long term sucess of a game. Many people inlcuding myself update my computer on a yearly basis so not having that feature to copy thoose files over onto my new computer would be deeply concerning.

Although i dont beleive it warants 2 months of development i believe it should be definatly added on at a later stage!

One thought would be if mmorts data was held on a central server? and you log onto that information so it is held not on your computer. That way you could affectivly log on any computer?? although i am not sure how vilable option that is?

Chris Harshman
09-23-2009, 08:35 AM
There is information stored on both sides normally, one the server side usually holds game data so it cannot be modified, while there is a certain amount of user data kept on the client side.

Puppeteer
09-23-2009, 11:31 AM
Personally i think that
Grr...

That raises an interesting point, actually (whatever 'that' is...heheh). In those two extra months, would there be extra content you could add that would otherwise be left out? Or even refinement?

Kaznafein
09-23-2009, 11:55 AM
I dont think its worth delaying for would, but would it be possible to get it later on in a patch or expansion. It it's not possible to get it in a later patch or expansion then ya most likely delay it.

Ironic
09-23-2009, 12:26 PM
not necessary at launch imo, as long as you inform those buying it at launch that this is the case

Feweh
09-23-2009, 01:18 PM
I don't mean to be rude or anything... but do you really have to ask the community this... it should definetly be in!!!!!

Maybe not for beta but for final release yes!!!!!!!!!!!

wills370
09-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Could be introduced as a patch?? alittle later on?

Grizzlez
09-24-2009, 02:21 PM
When I'm playing an mmo I usually have a group of mates also playing and when we get together to pley poker we normally log onto the hosts pcs/laptops to play for a bit when we are out.
When me and my brother play we normally instal games onto one of our laptops and my pc, when i'm not on my pc my brother prefers to play on it opposed to the laptop because it runs smoother. It's a pretty standard feature for mmo where you can log onto different stations as some people play at work or away from home at a friends.

Josh Warner
09-24-2009, 07:48 PM
I don't mean to be rude or anything... but do you really have to ask the community this... it should definetly be in!!!!!

Maybe not for beta but for final release yes!!!!!!!!!!!

2/3rds disagree, so asking was indeed wise : p

Darvin
09-24-2009, 10:26 PM
On the other hand, if 1/3rd of the community thinks it's a big deal, it may still be worthy of consideration.

Josh Warner
09-24-2009, 11:36 PM
On the other hand, if 1/3rd of the community thinks it's a big deal, it may still be worthy of consideration.

That was the point, the question was perfectly valid for them to ask the community.

wills370
09-25-2009, 11:00 AM
That was the point, the question was perfectly valid for them to ask the community.

Agreed. And as far as this feature goes i would say it is definatly a must.

Joseph Visscher
09-26-2009, 10:32 PM
I am personally against this because this gives way to statpadling, which is where you increase your stats of your heroes and army on one of two of your pcs,,, play a game with yourself 1v1 and send in crap troops and let 1 hero kill them all. It is a form of cheating.

Josh Warner
09-27-2009, 01:16 AM
I am personally against this because this gives way to statpadling, which is where you increase your stats of your heroes and army on one of two of your pcs,,, play a game with yourself 1v1 and send in crap troops and let 1 hero kill them all. It is a form of cheating.

Does that mean you can have more than one 'empire' or whatever you guys call it per Account/cd-key? I was assuming no because of just what you're talking about. Too easy to exploit.

Darvin
09-27-2009, 03:06 AM
What's to stop any two people from just doing this by mutual agreement? Frankly if this is possible at all the situation needs to be addressed.

Moreover, there's a difference between being able to play online on two PC's and being to play online on two PC's simultaneously. I was under the inclination that we were talking about the former, not the latter.

Kire
09-27-2009, 05:01 AM

Just put so that you cant attack your empires? I mean why would you do that except for cheating ?=P
edit: or like its at wow... you get that code of your version of the game (or just w3 battlenet). If you are playing it atm and then you try with same version of the game (same code) on other comp to come in, than you get disconected in order thaat you on other comp log in.... so if you are nt online with that empire you cant attack it.

Emperor Nero
09-27-2009, 07:38 AM
Just as long as I'm able to recover my MMO empire when I install it on a new computer, or be able to retrieve it in the event of a hard drive failure, I'm perfectly fine with this not being released with the initial version. But, without a doubt this will need to be released at one point or another.

wills370
09-27-2009, 01:28 PM
I think that would be avoided by having the ability to be online on only one computer. (As otherwise you could affectivly have 2 people playing the same empire and getting twice as much doone MAJOR CO PLAYING!).

Josh Warner
09-27-2009, 02:21 PM
I think that would be avoided by having the ability to be online on only one computer. (As otherwise you could affectivly have 2 people playing the same empire and getting twice as much doone MAJOR CO PLAYING!).

Co-playing should be fine, it's no different than the guy who sleeps 4-6 hours a day and spends the rest playing, should we tell him he's not allowed to play more than 6 a day? this isn't china ;)

wills370
09-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Co-playing should be fine, it's no different than the guy who sleeps 4-6 hours a day and spends the rest playing, should we tell him he's not allowed to play more than 6 a day? this isn't china ;)

I dont object to co playing i favour it. (i co played on a number of games such as tribal wars etc to become very high in the world etc). But i was saying from what somone said before where 2 people could play the same empire simultaniously.

That would be unfair. Having to fight agaisnt 2 people at once. Who are just playing same accoutn on dif computers.

Josh Warner
09-27-2009, 03:46 PM
I dont object to co playing i favour it. (i co played on a number of games such as tribal wars etc to become very high in the world etc). But i was saying from what somone said before where 2 people could play the same empire simultaniously.

That would be unfair. Having to fight agaisnt 2 people at once. Who are just playing same accoutn on dif computers.

I seriously doubt they'd allow two people to play the same empire simultaneously. Maybe two different empires on the same cd key, maybe. But even that's a stretch, and I certainly hope not how it is.

Generation
10-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Not worth the delay :P

wills370
10-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Not worth the delay :P

Hmm i would not be so quick to say that. It would give huge bonuses for the game and the company. As it is a pretty standered feature nowadays.

Berd
01-20-2011, 01:08 PM
No game delay pls!!!

tomche
01-20-2011, 05:39 PM
it needs to be done eventurly because i move around alot and need to be able to switch pc's to continue playing longterm